• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
So, it seems to me Qualcomm is getting beaten to the punch by everybody for the quadcore solution.

First it was nVidia, then Huawei, and next month likely both Samsung quadcore in Galaxy S3 and then Apple in iPad 3. That's worrysome, especially getting beaten by comapny like Huawei which is in the exact same telecom equiptment business.

Is there any LTE/Quadcore solution coming to the US? If both Verizon and ATT insist on putting LTE on all phones, will we see any quadcore solution until Quadcomm come through? Didn't Motorola use its own LTE radio? Can they slap Tegra 3 and their LTE radio together?

equap

Banned
any news/rumor on when this is coming to the US?
sony-xperia-s-white.jpg

max-pain

So, it seems to me Qualcomm is getting beaten to the punch by everybody for the quadcore solution.

First it was nVidia, then Huawei, and next month likely both Samsung quadcore in Galaxy S3 and then Apple in iPad 3. That's worrysome, especially getting beaten by comapny like Huawei which is in the exact same telecom equiptment business.

The two Krait cores will be better for everyday use.

yogloo

How do you process 41 mp pics? Even a full blown desktop will have a hard time processing it. Having said that, I would love to have some hands on impression of pure view.

derder

How do you process 41 mp pics? Even a full blown desktop will have a hard time processing it. Having said that, I would love to have some hands on impression of pure view.

I'm sure that the chip on the cmos would do that for you. I don't think that the camera will produce 41mp pictures, that's just the number of light bins on the cmon substrate.

You can reduce your shot noise by adding them up, per distributed area (I think), while keeping the readout noise flat.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hope Jellybean fixes the app lag I have on my phone. It shouldn't take so long to switch apps, have the multitasker draw the screens, etc. And please rebuild Google Voice. It's so slow.

GN-LTE

tino

Banned
That's up to the chipset/harwdware mfgs.

See that mindset is wrong.

Google could have made the mobile world a better place by helping more phones move to 4.0 instead of spending resource on 5.0

This is why shit like Google wallet and google music is not popular, google deserve it.

Cipherr

JB isnt even coming until 2013. Im not sure why them leaking the name ahead of time like they always do makes people think 4.0 is dead and JB is releasing tomorrow. They dont even have a manufacturer yet chosen for the next Nexus yet, let alone launched JB. Seriously take those nonsensical overreactions back to Engadget comment sections.

kehs

Banned
See that mindset is wrong.

Google could have made the mobile world a better place by helping more phones move to 4.0 instead of spending resource on 5.0

This is why shit like Google wallet and google music is not popular, google deserve it.

Google always develops two branches concurrently. Right now they are developing jelly bean as well the next one while maintaining the current base, it's nothing new.

Once the aosp the code they still work with companies. The next step would be to develop it like ms does windows but that's the opposite of what they want to do.

Also a majority of the functions for ics are able to be backported ( fragments, action bar, etc).

Futureman

Verge just posted a story that Verizon is offering the Nexus, Razr or Stratosphere for free for customers in their loyalty program. WHOA.

Not even thru my first 2-year contract with Verizon, so I assume I'm not loyal enough. Amazing deal for anyone that is though.

tino

Banned
Google always develops two branches concurrently. Right now they are developing jelly bean as well the next one while maintaining the current base, it's nothing new.

Once the aosp the code they still work with companies. The next step would be to develop it like ms does windows but that's the opposite of what they want to do.

Who cares about google's development model. They can make the model whatever they want. I am saying the shit (google music and google wallet) they push are not popular becasue they deserve it. Karma!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Verge just posted a story that Verizon is offering the Nexus, Razr or Stratosphere for free for customers in their loyalty program. WHOA.

Not even thru my first 2-year contract with Verizon, so I assume I'm not loyal enough. Amazing deal for anyone that is though.

How would anyone know if they're in that program? What are the eligibility requirements?

Futureman

JB isnt even coming until 2013. Im not sure why them leaking the name ahead of time like they always do makes people think 4.0 is dead and JB is releasing tomorrow. They dont even have a manufacturer yet chosen for the next Nexus yet, let alone launched JB. Seriously take those nonsensical overreactions back to Engadget comment sections.

why do you think it's not coming until 2013? Seems they've been on at LEAST one major update per year, and I believe they said they are transitioning to an update every 6-months. It's only February, we didn't know who was making the Galaxy Nexus til around August I think.

Cipherr

why do you think it's not coming until 2013? Seems they've been on at LEAST one major update per year, and I believe they said they are transitioning to an update every 6-months. It's only February, we didn't know who was making the Galaxy Nexus til around August I think.

Because the only quote we ever got from Duarte about the timeline on the next major Android release was that 5.0 was going to take longer than 3.0 to 4.0 took. Then someone posted a link baiting article in February about Android 5.0 coming in Q2 of this year, and everyone went nuts.

I think a better question is When you say the next version of Android are you talking about 4.1? Or are you talking about 5.0. Because theres a big ass difference there. 4.1 is to be expected, most mobile OS's have those mini updates that add new things, but a whole new full scale 5.0 is a long ways off, and it wont be around until the next Nexus device is. When I hear people saying JB, I assume they are referring to 5.0 and not 4.1 so, maybe the wires are getting crossed here.

Who cares about google's development model. They can make the model whatever they want. I am saying the shit (google music and google wallet) they push are not popular becasue they deserve it. Karma!

It's because they just throw it out there, and then move on, not bothering to offer real support, awareness,or marketing. The fact they're winking about Jellybean when something like 1% of the Android userbase is on ICS is just horrible. I can't believe we're getting phones previewed NOW that still plan to launch with Gingerbread. Cause you know, it takes 6+ months to develop a shitty skin for ICS that does nothing but fuck up the OS. But hey, as long as it as quad (or more) cores it's all good.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's because they just throw it out there, and then move on, not bothering to offer real support, awareness,or marketing. The fact they're winking about Jellybean when something like 1% of the Android userbase is on ICS is just horrible. I can't believe we're getting phones previewed NOW that still plan to launch with Gingerbread. Cause you know, it takes 6+ months to develop a shitty skin for ICS that does nothing but fuck up the OS. But hey, as long as it as quad (or more) cores it's all good.

You seem like an angry person. You should calm down, better for your health.

kehs

Banned

Well....you asked why they are spending resources on developing android instead of code to support chipsets.

Those are the reasons and how they go about doing it.

I'm not even sure what you mean by the karma and deserving comment.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
WTF:

Galaxy SIII rumoured specs:

• 1.5GHz quad-core Samsung Exynos processor
  • 4.8-inch “full HD” 1080p resolution with 16:9 aspect ratio display
  • A 2-megapixel front-facing camera and an 8-megapixel rear camera
  • Ceramic case
  • 4G LTE
  • Android 4.0
Impossible.

Cipherr

WTF:

Galaxy SIII rumoured specs:

• 1.5GHz quad-core Samsung Exynos processor
  • 4.8-inch “full HD” 1080p resolution with 16:9 aspect ratio display
  • A 2-megapixel front-facing camera and an 8-megapixel rear camera
  • Ceramic case
  • 4G LTE
  • Android 4.0
Impossible.

I would shit myself. Again, if the pentile isnt even noticable without really looking for it, I cant imagine it would be an issue at that high of a DPI either. Crazy. No way its AMOLED+ though, not at 1080P its not.

Fucker better have a 3k mAh battery too with that big ass screen.

Is that a random rumor or does it have a source?

Its up on a few sites, I think the originator though is like BGR or some other shit, thats why I didnt post it earlier.

jokkir

what are you going to do after rooting? some root apps require it. like Titanium Backup.

I was just going install a new kernel so I can use new governors/IO schedulers and possibly do the V6 Supercharger on it (yeah, that requires having busybox installed). I don't really see that many things that require it actually :S

tokkun

Listening to the Verge podcast right now. These guys seem to be really into the HTC One line. They called the One X's screen the best screen ever, called the One X's material the best material ever, and called the One S the sexiest thing they had seen. :lol

They also seemed to like Sense 4.0 a lot and one of the guys thought that they would set a new standard for camera quality on Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom