• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Listening to the Verge podcast right now. These guys seem to be really into the HTC One line. They called the One X's screen the best screen ever, called the One X's material the best material ever, and called the One S the sexiest thing they had seen. :lol

They also seemed to like Sense 4.0 a lot and one of the guys thought that they would set a new standard for camera quality on Android.

Yeah, I was really surprised. They don't look that amazing in photos, but they said that pictures didn't do the phones justice.

Doopliss

WTF:

Galaxy SIII rumoured specs:

• 1.5GHz quad-core Samsung Exynos processor
  • 4.8-inch “full HD” 1080p resolution with 16:9 aspect ratio display
  • A 2-megapixel front-facing camera and an 8-megapixel rear camera
  • Ceramic case
  • 4G LTE
  • Android 4.0
Impossible.
More leaks:
  • Next-gen PowerVR graphics (Series 6)
  • Gorilla Glass 2
  • 2gb RAM
  • Wolfson DAC
  • Stereo speakers on the device
  • Wireless Full HD display mirroring
  • NFC
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • 6.5mm thin or 9mm with larger 3300mah battery
  • TouchWiz 5.0 switchable with stock ICS
  • First Playstation Certified device not made by Sony
  • Ubuntu for Android
  • Siri-beating voice control

Cipherr

Why do I get the feeling that these rumored specs for the SIII are a bunch of bullshit made up to get page views?

Because its likely thats what they are. Have we even seen Samsung release a 1080P tablet screen yet? I mean, we would likely see it there before we see it on a phone.

I just dont understand why you need that high of a resolution on such a small screen. Does it help with touch capabilities, or have other gains? I'm not complaining if it runs smoothly, just kind of ignorant to what its doing lol

Wait...

More leaks:
  • Gorilla Glass 2
  • 2gb RAM
  • Wolfson DAC
    [*]Wireless Full HD display mirroring
  • NFC
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • Ubuntu for Android

WHOA

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
More leaks:
  • Gorilla Glass 2
  • 2gb RAM
  • Wolfson DAC
  • NFC
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • Ubuntu for Android
Source please.

esai

any news/rumor on when this is coming to the US?
sony-xperia-s-white.jpg

its so beautiful, i want it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Re: HTC One X

Every year, the phones get bigger. And every year, the tech sites are all giving the "This new, slightly bigger size is more than you'd think a phone should ever be but it actually feels good. We can see how this size is the absolute limit, though" nonsense. Our hands are not growing every year!

jayb

The hardest thing in that list to believe is the switchable touchwiz.
It sounded like Supercurio (voodoo dev) was trying convince his Samsung contacts of the benefits of letting their phones switch between the two, so I'd say there is at least a very slim possibility that they agreed to implement such an option.

with that said, no way that list is real.

More leaks:
  • Gorilla Glass 2
  • 2gb RAM
  • Wolfson DAC
  • NFC
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • Ubuntu for Android

Fake. No mention of the confirmed laser gun functionality.

Ecto311

Got another question - I would like to swap between my iphone 4 and Galaxy S2 - does anyone here use a micro sim adapter and how well does it work?

Polari

More leaks:
  • Gorilla Glass 2
  • 2gb RAM
  • Wolfson DAC
  • NFC
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • Ubuntu for Android

What other "specs" can we pull out of our collective arses?

reKon

Banned
More leaks:
  • Gorilla Glass 2
  • 2gb RAM
  • Wolfson DAC
  • NFC
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • Ubuntu for Android

haha

remz

More leaks:
  • Gorilla Glass 2
  • 2gb RAM
  • Wolfson DAC
  • NFC
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • Ubuntu for Android
Too good to be true. That phone sounds fantastic.

I'm thinking about going to a galaxy nexus from my Galaxy S international.... I dunno it might be worth waiting for an S3 tho

So what is Titanium Backup good for?

I installed my first rom today and I feel I did something wrong because I didn't use it.

Also a big thanks to the people who helped explain things to me earlier in the thead. I'm sort of regretting rooting/romming but the way I see it I don't want to be stuck with ugly touchwiz ics so I should just experiment with some roms and hope cynogen mod 9 comes to my phone.

More leaks:
  • Gorilla Glass 2
  • 2gb RAM
  • Wolfson DAC
  • NFC
  • Bluetooth 4.0
    [*]TouchWiz 5.0 switchable with stock ICS
  • Ubuntu for Android

Gulp. If this is true then it's probably going to be for all there ics releases which means I rooted and rommed for nothing.

Ashhong

So what is Titanium Backup good for?

I installed my first rom today and I feel I did something wrong because I didn't use it.

Many ROM's require a full data wipe when you update them down the road. With TB you can backup all of your apps such as games along with their save files. After you install the ROM update your phone will be pretty much empty. You then would use TB to restore all of your old apps and settings.

Can't you get rid of ugly TouchWiz by simply changing the launcher to something like GoLauncherEX?

Damn!! That's expensive but it has a 12MP camera with a LED Flash at least. Too bad it doesn't have an external memory slot (SD or M2) although 32GB is great and it still a beautiful phone!

Sadly is really out of my budget designated for gadgets in my life that has an enormous risk of being an easy target for robbers.

Anyway thanks dude for the info!

Many ROM's require a full data wipe when you update them down the road. With TB you can backup all of your apps such as games along with their save files. After you install the ROM update your phone will be pretty much empty. You then would use TB to restore all of your old apps and settings.

Can't you get rid of ugly TouchWiz by simply changing the launcher to something like GoLauncherEX?

Yes, GoLauncher doesn't need Touchwiz at all, but when you plug your phone to your PC you should jump back to Touchwiz to avoid bugs in the process and it's almost mandatory if you want to use Kies with your phone, but thankfully it's easy to jump between both!

CPS2

Sorry if this has been asked before, does anyone know a way to hide the notification bar on a galaxy s2? When I run twitch.tv in fullscreen the notification bar cuts off part of the image.

saunderez

That only gets rid of the launcher, it doesn't change all the modifications Samsung has made to the System UI. Touchwiz to me is the whole ugly mess, not just the launcher.

Cudder

So is Nova pretty much the best launcher for ICS? Thinking about getting the paid version of it, but not sure what support there is gonna be, or if there's gonna be a new and better launcher for ICS in the near future.

One thing I hope Samsung continues to do is take headphones audio quality seriously on the SGSIII. I think Wolfson DAC is good and dead now in Galaxy, probably because the cost was no longer acceptable to Samsung, but they really nailed it using the rather ordinary DAC included with the TI OMAP on the Tuna. Most companies don't really take headphones audio quality seriously (I'm looking at you, Motorola!), or they are coasting on past reputation (take a bow, Apple!), or they prefer gimmicks to real quality (why hallo thar, HTC!). Samsung has been the one for people who actually care about listening to music on their phones.

With all the announcements having been made, I think the Xperia S is the phone which interests me the most still (when taking my price range into account).

One S nearly did it, looks like it will be slightly cheaper than the Xperia, but only 16gb and no card slot, and a lower resolution display (even if it is samoled).

Course if I find a few hundred quid then the One X and the 4x hd look like beasts, and the SGS3 is looming, but i'm not that lucky. :p

leadbelly

Banned
Re: HTC One X

Every year, the phones get bigger. And every year, the tech sites are all giving the "This new, slightly bigger size is more than you'd think a phone should ever be but it actually feels good. We can see how this size is the absolute limit, though" nonsense. Our hands are not growing every year!

Yeah. I was thinking about getting the phone, but I'm reconsidering now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom