• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just woken up. I'm damned hungry. For an Ice Cream Sandwich. My release date whining is going to get worse and worse and worse until Google sort something out goddammit!!

Socreges said:
Direct me, kind sir. For I'm quite sure you're wrong.

Nothing on Rogers' website, nor Telus'. The Bell model was just released a few days ago.

Why are you making up shit? It was launched months ago. So long ago in fact that Best Buy had it fully subsidized last week.

Telus on the other hand is just about to launch the Hercules, and Rogers will be launching the LTE version of the S II this holiday season.

josephdebono said:
So, in all this panic and rumours over rumours, do we have anything at all which is confirmed?

Do we even have a certain date for the unpacked event?
There are new phones coming, and an event coming soon.

This is what we know for (pretty much certain)

720p screen: A+spec

1GB ram: A+spec

1.2GHZ dual core processor or better: A+spec

Virtual on screen keys: A+spec

9mm slim: A+ spec

1080p recording at 30fps: A+spec

Android 4.0: A+spec

GPU: potential meh

Camera: potential meh

It might not spank the pants of the GS2 but it is still going to be an amazing product. A lot of us would like the generational leap of the Nexus One. A phone that basically trounced everything that was already out there, Android or otherwise. That probably won't happen. It'll be an amazing product but probably won't match all our expectations.

MiniKelly

All those A+ specs are awesome. The only thing I worry about is the battery on a LTE phone. My thunderbolt LTE last only 6-10 hours. I charge it twice a day and still manage to run out by 9pm.

gcubed

MiniKelly said:
All those A+ specs are awesome. The only thing I worry about is the battery on a LTE phone. My thunderbolt LTE last only 6-10 hours. I charge it twice a day and still manage to run out by 9pm.

the OMAP4460 is supposed to be much better then the standard tack on LTE modem for battery (but again, its still never going to be as good as a non 4G phone due to having 2 modems on all the time). My battery life expectations for a phone is it to last the full day, hopefully this can meet it, but it looks like if you want LTE, you will need to be plugged in during the day at work

andycapps

Maybe I'm the only one thinking this, but with the Nexus Prime having a much higher resolution than anything on the market, including the 4S, isn't it going to have much worse benchmarks as a result? It would have to have a significantly better processor and GPU to even equal what these other phones are pushing at a lower res.

gcubed

andycapps said:
Maybe I'm the only one thinking this, but with the Nexus Prime having a much higher resolution than anything on the market, including the 4S, isn't it going to have much worse benchmarks as a result? It would have to have a significantly better processor and GPU to even equal what these other phones are pushing at a lower res.

nope, you aren't the only one, we've been talking about it on and off over the last 2 pages. I'm taking the approach of, look at the 4430 GPU benchmarks, and thats what you are going to get with the 4460 with the higher res.

OriginalThinking said:

It might not spank the pants of the GS2 but it is still going to be an amazing product. A lot of us would like the generational leap of the Nexus One. A phone that basically trounced everything that was already out there, Android or otherwise. That probably won't happen. It'll be an amazing product but probably won't match all our expectations.

seriously if this is the spec then i am deeply disappointed, i mean beside from ICS and the 720p screen my 6 months old gs2 draw or beat it in every single categories.

SimleuqiR

sleeping_dragon said:
seriously if this is the spec then i am deeply disappointed, i mean beside from ICS and the 720p screen my 6 months old gs2 draw or beat it in every single categories.

Welp, the "Nexus" part of it is what matters to me. Can't deal with OEM crap on my phone.
I also don't game on my phone, so GPU specs are not an issue for me. This will be a true leap from my Nexus One, and that's enough for me.

andycapps said:

Yes, a higher resolution typically means lower benchmark numbers.

This is why everyone thinks Exynos is so amazing. Its benchmarks were very impressive... on a low-resolution screen (480x800).

sleeping_dragon said:

You keep telling yourself that.

kehs

Banned
gcubed said:
nope, you aren't the only one, we've been talking about it on and off over the last 2 pages. I'm taking the approach of, look at the 4430 GPU benchmarks, and thats what you are going to get with the 4460 with the higher res.

I'm expecting it to use a chip that will double the 4S benchmarks.

So that I have something inconsequential to bitch about later on.

andycapps

gcubed said:

Probably for the best. If it even equals what these other phones are doing, I think that's a huge win. 320 DPI and equal performance? Sign me up.

Copernicus said:
I'm expecting it to use a chip that will double the 4S benchmarks.

So that I have something inconsequential to bitch about later on.
You need a new, trollish avatar. It's hard to recognize you without one.

Doopliss

Vyse The Legend said:
Yes, a higher resolution typically means lower benchmark numbers.

This is why everyone thinks Exynos is so amazing. Its benchmarks were very impressive... on a low-resolution screen (480x800).
CPU benchmarks aren't affected by screen resolution, and the graphics chip has been tested at 720p:

41042.png

It seems reasonable enough to call that 'very impressive'.

IMACOMPUTA

I need help guys!

So i'm following this : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1257574
for installing CM7 on my ATRIX.

I used this one click rooting program : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1255548

and backed up using Titanium backup.

I then installed Rom Manager (clockwork) and flashed CWM.

But when i try to boot into Android Recovery, i just get the exclaimation mark with the android guy.

Do i have to unlock the bootloader? It doesn't say anything about it in the CM7 guide I'm following.. but i can't think of what else it might be.

HELP GAF!

kehs

Banned
IMACOMPUTA said:
I need help guys!

So i'm following this : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1257574
for installing CM7 on my ATRIX.

I used this one click rooting program : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1255548

and backed up using Titanium backup.

I then installed Rom Manager (clockwork) and flashed CWM.

But when i try to boot into Android Recovery, i just get the exclaimation mark with the android guy.

Do i have to unlock the bootloader? It doesn't say anything about it in the CM7 guide I'm following.. but i can't think of what else it might be.

HELP GAF!

The exclamation mark with the android guy is usually the stock recovery which would mean the flashing of CWM didn't stick.

(Copernicus does not have an atrix)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Clockwork recovery would never automatically boot and install for me. I always had to flash manually. Not sure why.

nib95

Banned
OriginalThinking said:

Incredibly disappointing. Bit of a Google fail tbh. 4S is basically the best choice for performance users. You'd only really go Nexus Prime if you want Android or the bigger screen. It's annoying because I really wanted to switch to Android, but it was the lack of a solid upgrade that put me off the 4S, and ironically the same thing now with the Nexus Prime.

kehs

Banned
nib95 said:
Incredibly disappointing. Bit of a Google fail tbh. 4S is basically the best choice for performance users. You'd only really go Nexus Prime if you want Android or the bigger screen. It's annoying because I really wanted to switch to Android, but it was the lack of a solid upgrade that put me off the 4S, and ironically the same thing now with the Nexus Prime.

1440p screen with tri-HDMI output or bust, I say.

gcubed

nib95 said:

you dont know android do you?

The only thing that won't outperform the 4S in that list is the GPU (most likely the camera as well, but you wouldn't even come into this considering thats a possibility). Considering there is no effort to push gaming on Android there is little use to care about GPU benchmarks.

andycapps

nib95 said:

I don't think a performance user would really want a 3.7" screen, so the 4S would be out, really. The Prime is going to more than hold it's own, and it's going to have a slightly better DPI than the 4S, and a screen that's almost a whole inch bigger. That impressive, to me.

nib95 said:

Other than being the highest spec phone on the market and a huge upgrade from all the other Nexus devices, how are you finding this disappointing?

Mrbob

gcubed said:

The only thing that won't outperform the 4S in that list is the GPU (most likely the camera as well, but you wouldn't even come into this considering thats a possibility). Considering there is no effort to push gaming on Android there is little use to care about GPU benchmarks.

There is no effort right now, but one year from now I think things will be a lot different. GTA3 10th anniversary edition is coming out day and date on certain android devices alongside the iOS version. Android has too big of market share to be ignored. In fact if Google figures out how to sell apps the market on Android will be bigger than iOS.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Now that the idea seed was planted, I'm going to be very disappointed if Mobile Chrome is a no show. Even if its just a rebrand of the existing browser.

Sky Chief

OriginalThinking said:
I've just woken up. I'm damned hungry. For an Ice Cream Sandwich. My release date whining is going to get worse and worse and worse until Google sort something out goddammit!!

How can Google be so awesome and so incompetent at the same time?

gcubed

Mrbob said:
There is no effort right now, but one year from now I think things will be a lot different. GTA3 10th anniversary edition is coming out day and date on certain android devices with the iOS version. Android has too big of market share to be ignored. In fact is Google figures out how to sell apps the market on Android will be bigger than iOS.

we all said that with froyo too.

with gingerbread also.

honeycomb was 3d gaming focused.

ICS will save all our gaming needs.

Jelly Bean will destroy consoles... oh, sorry, will use that next year.

JCX

I don't get what there is to "figure out" about selling apps on Android. If the good games are there, people will buy them. I'd say a bigger issue is the Amazon marketplace, which encourages people to hold off on a purchase they might otherwise make in hope of it being free soon. I'm excited for Square Enix to get off their ass so I can buy some of their games on Android.

Jeff-DSA

Mrbob said:
There is no effort right now, but one year from now I think things will be a lot different. GTA3 10th anniversary edition is coming out day and date on certain android devices alongside the iOS version. Android has too big of market share to be ignored. In fact if Google figures out how to sell apps the market on Android will be bigger than iOS.

It's true. It's kind of frustrating that they don't do a better job at developing the gaming market on Android. I don't play a lot of games on my phone, but I think they're missing out on a lot of revenue and attention.

Mrbob

I didn't say destroy consoles, though. Google will keep iterating until they finally get it right. Square Enix is jumping on the Android bandwagon too. Companies are starting to give the platform a look.

gcubed

Mrbob said:
I didn't say destroy consoles, though. Google will keep iterating until they finally get it right. Square Enix is jumping on the Android bandwagon too. Companies are starting to give the platform a look.

no, i didnt say you did... its just been a constant thing since froyo launched and nothing has really changed.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
IMACOMPUTA said:
how do i flash manually?
I think you just hold down x or the volume up and shutter button upon booting and then select the rom from your SD card.

kinggroin

Banned
nib95 said:

A performance user? In this context, what does that even mean?

I tell ya though, bravo to apple. These GPU benchmarks are going to continue creeping up as a point of overall performance evaluation. While I know that even on ios, those numbers mean dick for current iphone4 users, any wp7 user can tell you the danger of being left behind on a hardware bullet point list war.

nib95

Banned
The Interrobanger said:
Other than being the highest spec phone on the market and a huge upgrade from all the other Nexus devices, how are you finding this disappointing?

Hows that then? Because of the screen resolution and size? Please. If you increase the resolution it seems almost natural you'd up the CPU/GPU to match it. Instead Google have done the opposite. Same CPU with a worse GPU. What a waste.

gcubed said:

So camera and gaming go to the 4S and you think general performance won't either with that cpu on the 4S? Honestly it seems like (based on what I'm reading) the Nexus Prime's main selling point is really the 720p 4.5" screen. Everything else is expected or below par. Software wise, I'd imagine the other comparative devices will get the upgrade.

If you want to push the gaming market on Android you need to start keeping up GPU wise compared to the iPhone.

Utter disappointment. Be interesting to see if the battery life is half decent or if they've failed there too. That's one thing Apple have done ok on, with performance increases come better battery to suit, as oppose to the other way around.

kehs

Banned
Mrbob said:
In fact if Google figures out how to sell apps the market on Android will be bigger than iOS.

Google doesn't care about the Market. I'm looking for the comment at the moment, one of the guys from the android team mentions how curating a store to a high degree creates a responsibility under the DMCA. They are apparently side stepping this responsibility by not curating it all, that only makes them responsible for cleaning up after being alerted to the infractions.
nib95 said:
Hows that then? Because of the screen resolution and size? Please. If you increase the resolution it seems almost natural you'd up the CPU/GPU to match it. Instead Google have done the opposite. Same CPU with a worse GPU. What a waste.

Shit, did I miss the official Galaxy Nexus announcement?

nib95 said:

This is getting hilariously out of hand.

JonnyBrad

Copernicus said:
Google doesn't care about the Market. I'm looking for the comment at the moment, one of the guys from the android team mentions how curating a store to a high degree creates a responsibility under the DMCA. They are apparently side stepping this responsibility by not curating it all, that only makes them responsible for cleaning up after being alerted to the infractions.

Its wierd because you get all kinds of copyright junk on ios (see thread in the gaming store) and Apple doesn't seem to think they have any more responsibilities (ie responding to take down notices) than google with their anything goes approach.

tfur

andycapps said:
I don't think a performance user would really want a 3.7" screen, so the 4S would be out, really. The Prime is going to more than hold it's own, and it's going to have a slightly better DPI than the 4S, and a screen that's almost a whole inch bigger. That impressive, to me.

Whoa whoa, slow down here. We already had the debate of why the 3.5 inch iphone screen is the only acceptable size your thumb can use. New thumb slide graphics would have to be made to support that 3.7 you are suggesting...

gcubed

nib95 said:

So camera and gaming go to the 4S and you think general performance won't either with that cpu on the 4S? Honestly it seems like (based on what I'm reading) the Nexus Prime's main selling point is really the 720p 4.5" screen. Everything else is expected or below par. Software wise, I'd imagine the other comparative devices will get the upgrade.

If you want to push the gaming market on Android you need to start keeping up GPU wise compared to the iPhone.

Utter disappointment. Be interesting to see if the battery life is half decent or if they've failed there. That's one thing Apple have done ok on, with performance increases come better battery to suit, as oppose to the other way around.

yes, i dont doubt the cpu benchmarks will be better. The ipad2 cpu benchmarks aren't #1 and the 4S is underclocked from that.

I expect battery life to be worse then the iphone, because it will use LTE.

Gaming market? No... sorry, it has nothing to do with "keeping up with the iphone" as the iphone 4 has been immensely eclipsed by all Android devices for quite a while now. The iphone4s will be eclipsed in 4-6 months as well. It has nothing to do with "keeping up with the iphone"

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
nibs, I say this as a friend: You're trippin' holmes.
Its gonna be fine. Maybe it won't be number1 in all the benchmarks.. but its going to be fine.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
nibs, I say this as a friend: You're trippin' holmes.
Its gonna be fine. Maybe it won't be number1 in all the benchmarks.. but its going to be fine.

I hope it can handle snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom