• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question - if I were to flash an ICS-based ROM onto my phone, would ICS-only apps become available, or is that reserved for the official version of the app...?

Angst

Question - if I were to flash an ICS-based ROM onto my phone, would ICS-only apps become available, or is that reserved for the official version of the app...?

As long as you use a custom ROM with a proper market identifier you'll get access to ICS apps. If you also change your DPI you'll have to download a market that spoofs the DPI to default DPI, or loads of apps will show up as incompatible. I use LCD Density Modder Pro which sorts that part out for you.

Doopliss

Sorry if this has been asked before, does anyone know a way to hide the notification bar on a galaxy s2? When I run twitch.tv in fullscreen the notification bar cuts off part of the image.
I had the same thing on my SGS2. It's a bug, the notification bar should automatically hide for full screen flash video. It's fixed in the leaked 4.0 ROMs, I'm not sure if the newer 2.3 ROMs fix it too.

Red

I finally got around to rooting my Bionic and I'm having an annoying problem. My internal sdcard drive is almost full (it was full, until I deleted some apps last night). I want it not to be. I tried using Titanium backup to move files to sd, but that puts them into the internal sdcard storage instead of putting them on the external card (which has 13 gb of free space). Is there any way to actually put stuff onto the media card? Apps2SD and the phone's default memory management both behave the same way. I try "moving to media" and it just puts the files into the sdcard partition of internal memory. I thought rooting would give me a way around this, but I can't figure it out.

This is probably the best looking Android phone I've ever seen. I'm really not into the OS, but I'd totally get that phone as a toy phone, if I had the money right now.

the funny thing is, the price of sim-less xperia s here is the same as galaxy nexus at £450.

nearly pulled the trigger on the xperia s, until I read about the asus padphone.

tino

Banned
I finally got around to rooting my Bionic and I'm having an annoying problem. My internal sdcard drive is almost full (it was full, until I deleted some apps last night). I want it not to be. I tried using Titanium backup to move files to sd, but that puts them into the internal sdcard storage instead of putting them on the external card (which has 13 gb of free space). Is there any way to actually put stuff onto the media card? Apps2SD and the phone's default memory management both behave the same way. I try "moving to media" and it just puts the files into the sdcard partition of internal memory. I thought rooting would give me a way around this, but I can't figure it out.

You are better off move your other media files to your external sd. Just use a file manager like astro or file expert. You don't even need root.

So HTC pretty much has the phone of show right now right?

I mean unless you guys are excited about zte and Huawei...are those even coming to the US?

Been following the HTC One X since it was first leaked last year as the HTC Edge. Im pretty excited as the snapdragon S4 should be great for my everyday use.

Oh and all those Sony phones look like garbage...except for maybe the xperia ion

equap

Banned
sony-xperia-p-silver.jpg

I think i prefer this one over the Xperia S. The P is 4.0" vs. the S at 4.3". 8mp vs. 12mp. The Xperia P has an aluminum unibody.

Red

You are better off move your other media files to your external sd. Just use a file manager like astro or file expert. You don't even need root.
Yes, but how? I can only get pictures, music, and video to go to the external card. Whenever I try moving an app or game to media it goes to the internal sdcard partition.

sony-xperia-p-silver.jpg

I think i prefer this one over the Xperia S. The P is 4.0" vs. the S at 4.3". 8mp vs. 12mp. The Xperia P has an aluminum unibody.

I quite like the fact that you can change the colour of the led of the transparent stripe, even though they are quite useless. you have to touch the dot above to activate function.

apparently it houses the antenna.

Nonono, the 4.8" 1080p screen is one of the more plausible leaks* on the list. http://www.conceivablytech.com/3713/products/1080p-on-a-4-8-display

That link is from october 2010.

* leaks or made up list of BS, someone could have seen that page to make the list look creditable, but the tech is there

that's a LCD though and Samsung uses AMOLED and they've already talked about their roadmap and they can't mass manufacture a screen with that pixel density yet.

tino

Banned
Yes, but how? I can only get pictures, music, and video to go to the external card. Whenever I try moving an app or game to media it goes to the internal sdcard partition.

This is by design. You should have enough space in the internal D card for apps.

There are ways around it of course but you need a custom rom.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
extension numbers for businesses.

like (123)456-7890 , and then press 123 to reach a certain person

Insert a "w" before the extension and Android will prompt you to hit a button before dialling the extension.

Or add some commas before the extension and it will wait a few seconds before dialling the extension.

Achtius

Insert a "w" before the extension and Android will prompt you to hit a button before dialling the extension.

Or add some commas before the extension and it will wait a few seconds before dialling the extension.

thanks! :D

edit:

Ah. You add pause/wait after the number and then add the extension number. So it'll wait a certain amount of time before putting in the extension(depending on the number of waits/pauses you add). That's how I did it when I was using international calling cards at one point. When you see the dialpad while adding the contact information, hit the symbols key and it'll bring up your options.

thanks as well!

kehs

Banned
extension numbers for businesses.

like (123)456-7890 , and then press 123 to reach a certain person

Ah. You add pause/wait after the number and then add the extension number. So it'll wait a certain amount of time before putting in the extension(depending on the number of waits/pauses you add). That's how I did it when I was using international calling cards at one point. When you see the dialpad while adding the contact information, hit the symbols key and it'll bring up your options.

Red

This is by design. You should have enough space in the internal D card for apps.

There are ways around it of course but you need a custom rom.

Well damn. I have 9gb internal storage but less than 500mb free. There's no way to move games to media on the vanilla ROM?

Red

You have close to 9gb of Android app? I don't brlieve it. You must have other media files.
Nope. All apps. I have three CDs but they're on my external card. Even then it's nothing. I have no videos. About a dozen photos from the phone. Everything else is apps.

That's including titanium backup space, though. I actually can't make a full backup since there's not enough room, but I have about 60% backed up.

kehs

Banned
I just checked and I have 6 gigs worth of apps. That's surprising.

Although I think some apps will count their data as part of the app, like chrome, it's sitting at about 60 megs right now.

Divvy

The padphone video at phandroid is pretty cool.

http://phandroid.com/2012/02/28/asus-padfone-hands-on-phone-tablet-laptop-collide-awesomely-video/

I really wanted to get an official Google device next but man the idea of a padphone is really growing on me. Sadly though I expect pricing to be pretty vicious.

Well they said it'd be cheaper than a phone + tablet, so I guess if you're in the market for both, then this a good choice. But on the other hand, this also forces you to upgrade your phone AND tablet at the same time in the future.

kehs

Banned
Well they said it'd be cheaper than a phone + tablet, so I guess if you're in the market for both, then this a good choice. But on the other hand, this also forces you to upgrade your phone AND tablet at the same time in the future.

I was thinking about this, and I think the eventual solution is wifi direct/display instead of a dock. That'll also allow it to be used by different devices.

Divvy

I was thinking about this, and I think the eventual solution is wifi direct/display instead of a dock. That'll also allow it to be used by different devices.

Possibly. Asus guy did say that you'll have to trust them to not fuck you over in the future with compatibility issues when you want to upgrade. So good luck with that I guess.

kehs

Banned
Possibly. Asus guy did say that you'll have to trust them to not fuck you over in the future with compatibility issues when you want to upgrade. So good luck with that I guess.

I lost faith in that when the announced the prime dock. The padfone keyboard dock is also a different model (lol).

Pctx

Banned
The padphone video at phandroid is pretty cool.

http://phandroid.com/2012/02/28/asus-padfone-hands-on-phone-tablet-laptop-collide-awesomely-video/

I really wanted to get an official Google device next but man the idea of a padphone is really growing on me. Sadly though I expect pricing to be pretty vicious.

This is the type of innovation that I would say Asus is on par with Apple in terms of features. I would imagine that this combination of things w/ Ubuntu on it will destroy a lot of single solutions out there. Well done Asus.

JoeFu

Banned
The Padfone videos show that nobody on those sites ever used the Transformers keyboard dock... its the same exact one.

Lol nvm they just said it was different...

So that one won't work with the Transformer one?

JoeFu

Banned
Oh well, they could have at least mad the keyboard look consistent with the new padfone then.

wait I dont know what I'm talking about. Didn't see the brown on the padfone i need new eyes.

JoeFu

Banned
Nevermind, for some reason I thought it was more silver/blue like the transformer prime. They should have went that route, looks nicer

tino

Banned
Nope. All apps. I have three CDs but they're on my external card. Even then it's nothing. I have no videos. About a dozen photos from the phone. Everything else is apps.

That's including titanium backup space, though. I actually can't make a full backup since there's not enough room, but I have about 60% backed up.

First of all, you are crazy. Nobody uses that much space for app. If you do you should get custom rom.

Second, Titanium backup let you change backup folder.

Ashhong

9gb of apps? Are you shitting me? Wow...

You should delete the old backups of Titanium, or change it in the options to only keep 1 copy at a time.

Red

9gb of apps? Are you shitting me? Wow...

You should delete the old backups of Titanium, or change it in the options to only keep 1 copy at a time.

I do have it set at 1 backup :(

I have about 190 apps not including the included bloatware, which I have frozen.

dream

Cocococococococo, Amazon just pushed a Kindle update "with improved margins and line spacing" for tablet users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom