• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
So Acer is the only company that make a buttonless ICS phone (CloudMobile)? That's funny. Too bad its not coming to the US.

Circle T

Has anyone here ever had to deal with Negri Electronics for a warranty issue?

The front glass on my Note is just slightly starting to separate from the screen down by the buttons. It isn't causing any issues, and is hardly noticeable, but I'd rather just deal with it now before it gets out of hand and starts causing issues. Just not sure if I'll have to send it back for repairs, or if I'll get a replacement device. I wrote to them earlier this morning, but haven't heard back yet. Anyone dealt with Negri/Samsung with something like this?

equap

Banned
sony-xperia-u-all-colors.jpg

Sony Xperia U is €259 is around $348.

sony-xperia-p-all-colors.jpg

Sony Xperia P is €449 is around $603.

Tom_Cody

Is there an apple TV equivalent for android devices? Some of my friends have dived deeper into the apple ecosystem than I have and the one thing I'm jealous of is the airplay feature. I just love that they can easy stream from their ipad/iphones onto their apple tv. It's great fun when we'e hanging out to toss youtube clips onto the tv as well as photo slideshows, personal videos, music play lists, etc. I love my tv and sound system so I would really love to be able to take advantage of it with whatever tablet/smartphone I end up purchasing.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Remember, VZW is giving $100 off a bunch of phones today. Galaxy Nexus and RAZR Maxx for $199, Bionic for Free, etc.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/4glte-devices.shtml

After having my RAZR Maxx for 2 weeks I'm super impressed with it. Using a smartphone and not worrying about battery life makes me use it quite a bit differently. I have stuff syncing more often, don't worry about leaving 4G on, etc. It's pretty liberating... it needs to be standard.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I just bought my first Android phone, a Samsung Galaxy W, this past weekend. I'm really loving it to bits, I'm really loving the whole full-fledged touch smartphone experience, especially when compared with my previous phone, a Nokia N73.

Of course, the first thing I did as soon as I got a feel for the OS, was to root it and install a custom OS to get rid of all the annoying carrier branding and bloatware. Thankfully, I was able to do it without harming my brand new toy.

I hope to get at least a few years of enjoyment out of it. I'm not a bleeding edge or high end early adopter by any means, but I feel this is perfectly enough for my needs and expectations of what a mobile device should be able to do.

Tom_Cody

Is there an apple TV equivalent for android devices? Some of my friends have dived deeper into the apple ecosystem than I have and the one thing I'm jealous of is the airplay feature. I just love that they can easy stream from their ipad/iphones onto their apple tv. It's great fun when we'e hanging out to toss youtube clips onto the tv as well as photo slideshows, personal videos, music play lists, etc. I love my tv and sound system so I would really love to be able to take advantage of it with whatever tablet/smartphone I end up purchasing.

Thanks in advance.
I just googled this for a bit and it seems that you can use sonos with android devices to airplay to apple tv. Does anyone have experience with this?

http://9to5mac.com/2011/05/09/android-can-now-airplay-to-ios-devices/

pr0cs

I love my tv and sound system so I would really love to be able to take advantage of it with whatever tablet/smartphone I end up purchasing.

I don't really know anything about airplay but concept wise I just use DLNA and and app called Skifta to view stuff from my phone on my home theatre system and my PS3.
When Skifta is running on the phone it appears as another device on my PS3 that I can preview content from (music/pictures/videos).

Maybe not as integrated as Airplay but, also free considering I already have a PS3 for gaming.

Tom_Cody

I don't really know anything about airplay but concept wise I just use DLNA and and app called Skifta to view stuff from my phone on my home theatre system and my PS3.
When Skifta is running on the phone it appears as another device on my PS3 that I can preview content from (music/pictures/videos).

Maybe not as integrated as Airplay but, also free considering I already have a PS3 for gaming.
Thanks, that's most of my question. The only other function I'm really looking for then is the ability to airplay youtube clips and websites. I have other devices that I can use for this on my TV, but the interface of a tablet is obviously much preferable to a PS3 controller.

tino

Banned
I just bought my first Android phone, a Samsung Galaxy W, this past weekend. I'm really loving it to bits, I'm really loving the whole full-fledged touch smartphone experience, especially when compared with my previous phone, a Nokia N73.

Of course, the first thing I did as soon as I got a feel for the OS, was to root it and install a custom OS to get rid of all the annoying carrier branding and bloatware. Thankfully, I was able to do it without harming my brand new toy.

I hope to get at least a few years of enjoyment out of it. I'm not a bleeding edge or high end early adopter by any means, but I feel this is perfectly enough for my needs and expectations of what a mobile device should be able to do.

Congradulation. You have unlocked the 4th core!

tino

Banned

Tom_Cody

Playing video directly off your home network on your Android device is very easy. Just get a ROM that support CIFS (like a CM ROM).

As for playing video on your phone to your home TV, I don't understand why would anyone do it.
I'm specifically talking about youtube clips, HBO Go, and other streaming videos. The interface for watching stuff like that is so clunky on my PS3. When I'm at my friend's place, it's so great to just pick up their ipad, bring up a video on youtube and click airplay to get it to the tv.

kehs

Banned
Tom_Cody, the closest equivalent to apple tv would be a google tv, though it's a bit clumsy at the moment. It's a standalone android install that you can send stuff to with the google tv app on your phone. So like if you're watching a youtube video on your phone, you share it with the google tv remote, and the link will prompt the google tv device to open up the youtube app. Same for anything else you can share through an app.

However if you get a set top box that does DLNA you'll be able to fling content over the network. With a couple of limitations like no screen mirroring, and some content might not play as nice.

There's also a couple of android apps that allow you to send stuff to an apple tv.

Tom_Cody

Tom_Cody, the closest equivalent to apple tv would be a google tv, though it's a bit clumsy at the moment. It's a standalone android install that you can send stuff to with the google tv app on your phone. So like if you're watching a youtube video on your phone, you share it with the google tv remote, and the link will prompt the google tv device to open up the youtube app. Same for anything else you can share through an app.

However if you get a set top box that does DLNA you'll be able to fling content over the network. With a couple of limitations like no screen mirroring, and some content might not play as nice.

There's also a couple of android apps that allow you to send stuff to an apple tv.
Ok, thanks. This seems to pretty clearly spell out the situation.

One more question, is there a way to mirror to a PC from an android device. I feel stupid even typing this, but is there google tv functionality as you described above for the PC? I've also thought about google tv a number of times over the years but those devices don't seem to be quiet ready for prime time. If I instead just get a PC and hook it up to my TV, is there software that will allow me to mirror from an android device?

kehs

Banned
Ok, thanks. This seems to pretty clearly spell out the situation.

One more question, is there a way to mirror to a PC from an android device. I feel stupid even typing this, but is there google tv functionality as you described above for the PC? I've also thought about google tv a number of times over the years but those devices don't seem to be quiet ready for prime time. If I instead just get a PC and hook it up to my TV, is there software that will allow me to mirror from an android device?

To a PC, not that I know of, but some devices have hdmi-out like Goldrush mentioned, that will mirror the display, but obviously you need to be directly connected to the display.

If you have a PC hooked up to a TV though, you already have a better set up than Google tv can provide. I have a netbook hooked up to one of my tv's that I control with my phone through a wifi remote (unified remote).

Tom_Cody

To a PC, not that I know of, but some devices have hdmi-out like Goldrush mentioned, that will mirror the display, but obviously you need to be directly connected to the display.

If you have a PC hooked up to a TV though, you already have a better set up than Google tv can provide. I have a netbook hooked up to one of my tv's that I control with my phone through a wifi remote (unified remote).
I don't have it yet, but this is what I'm planning to buy.

Thanks for answering all of my questions. I think I have this sorted out now.

I had a quick question, there's certain apps I have the "automatically update" box checked but it won't download/install, instead it gives me a thing saying one is available in the notifications window and then I have to click and go to the market to update. Is this because permissions changed for the program or why didn't it auto update like others since the box was checked?

3rdman

Has this been discussed? I'm itching to upgrade my car stereo and I'd like to have a deeper integration between the radio and my phone (especially now that I have unlimited data). Most stereos allow basic apps but usually on a separate data line and connection to your phone is limited to music or phone functions.

At CES, Sony introduced a pair of aftermarket head units that literally mirror your phone's interface. They will support both Android and iOS. Check it out...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/12/sony-unveils-mirrorlink-car-stereos/

Anyone else interested? I'm simply waiting to see if I'll be able to use this with my Galaxy S 4G...

kehs

Banned
I don't have it yet, but this is what I'm planning to buy.

Thanks for answering all of my questions. I think I have this sorted out now.

No problem.

I had a quick question, there's certain apps I have the "automatically update" box checked but it won't download/install, instead it gives me a thing saying one is available in the notifications window and then I have to click and go to the market to update. Is this because permissions changed for the program or why didn't it auto update like others since the box was checked?

Yeah, permission changes require a manual update from the user.

Has this been discussed? I'm itching to upgrade my car stereo and I'd like to have a deeper integration between the radio and my phone (especially now that I have unlimited data). Most stereos allow basic apps but usually on a separate data line and connection to your phone is limited to music or phone functions.

At CES, Sony introduced a pair of aftermarket head units that literally mirror your phone's interface. They will support both Android and iOS. Check it out...

Anyone else interested? I'm simply waiting to see if I'll be able to use this with my Galaxy S 4G...

That's pretty baller, looks like it's using MHL? If that's the case you're Galaxy S should techincally be capable of using it since it already does MHL output.

3rdman

That's pretty baller, looks like it's using MHL? If that's the case you're Galaxy S should techincally be capable of using it since it already does MHL output.

"MHL"? What does that stand for? I know that MirrorLink was previously known as "terminal mode"...

I assume that my phone is technically capable but I don't know how Samsung will make their support available...Will it be a downloadable APK from the marketplace, for example...

Edit: Well I just checked and my phone does NOT support MHL...However I thought this was using VNC via wi-fi or bluetooth. :(

kehs

Banned
"MHL"? What does that stand for? I know that MirrorLink was previously known as "terminal mode"...

I assume that my phone is technically capable but I don't know how Samsung will make their support available...Will it be a downloadable APK from the marketplace, for example...

Edit: Well I just checked and my phone does NOT support MHL...However I thought this was using VNC via wi-fi or bluetooth. :(

Yeah, you're right, I was thinking about the video out through 3.5mm headset jack (which your phone does support).

Seems they do some stuff through wifi/bluetooth:

MirrorLink™ is specified around a set of well established, non-proprietary standards. It uses IP technologies in order to be independent of the physical transport mechanism. However, legacy car connectivity solutions, like Bluetooth™ HFP or A2DP are supported. MirrorLink™ does support wired and wireless connectivity. Besides unlimited access to the mobile device’s user interface, Universal Plug and Play (UPnP™) is used to give access to only a limited set of pre-advertised applications. Virtual Networking Computing (VNC™) is used to replicate the phones display and to provide key and touch events back. Besides Bluetooth™, audio can be streamed using the Real-Time Protocol (RTP) over UDP.

http://www.terminalmode.org/en/about/introduction

Circle T

Mobile High-definition Link

KiKaL

Im up for an upgrade in 4 weeks with Verizon. Is the general consensus to get the Galaxy Nexus vs the Razr Maxx? I was going to hold off in general if the MWC showed anything crazy but looks like not much has changed.

Unless you REALLY care about battery life I'd go with the Nexus in a heart beat.

Also what's G mean when it is displayed on your phone instead of E or 4g. Obviously E is Edge, 4g is well 4g, so I'm guessing G is like 4G but 1/4 the speed?

Im up for an upgrade in 4 weeks with Verizon. Is the general consensus to get the Galaxy Nexus vs the Razr Maxx? I was going to hold off in general if the MWC showed anything crazy but looks like not much has changed.
anything but a nexus phone = meh = my opinion

tino

Banned

I rather get a head unit that literally run Android in it. Google music can sync the playlist.

Tethering IMO will cause more problems than provide benefit.

Circle T

Unless you REALLY care about battery life I'd go with the Nexus in a heart beat.

Also what's G mean when it is displayed on your phone instead of E or 4g. Obviously E is Edge, 4g is well 4g, so I'm guessing G is like 4G but 1/4 the speed?

Probably means the phone is just in "GPRS" mode. Does it switch to the higher modes when actually connecting and downloading things? When my Note is idle, it will only show a 3G connection, but when I start to download something or sync, it will switch up to "H+" mode.

In order to not confuse customers, most newer phones will only show the fastest link the phone is making, even though in actuality it is lower most of the time when idling. My work Skyrocket, for example, will constantly show the "4G" icon, even though it is most likely sitting in 3G mode most of the time while idling.

Ya know, say what you want about Qualcomm processor's underperforming, but what's really interesting to me is how all these ARM chip developers have just let Qualcomm eat the whole LTE pie for about a year untouched...

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the only LTE product that hasn't been Qualcomm was the Xoom that had the 4G put in retroactively right?? Edit: Oh yeah, sorry, Galaxy Nexus as well.

But where has OMAP been besides in the GNex. I haven't even seen rumors or plans of it being in another phone or tablet and it's the lead processor for ICS.

Tegra2 was everywhere last year, especially on tablets.

The only people that really even care about not having a qualcomm processor are people like us, and like XDA Developers...

random peeps don't even know the name of the processor in there phone, let alone the name of the phone itself most of the time.

My Galaxy Nexus arrived today. Sooooo good, and dat screen... Haven't been able to root yet, so it's all stock 4.0.2.

Chrome is amazing as well, needs a bit more work but I can see it becoming the stock browser.

Ya know, say what you want about Qualcomm processor's underperforming, but what's really interesting to me is how all these ARM chip developers have just let Qualcomm eat the whole LTE pie for about a year untouched...

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the only LTE product that hasn't been Qualcomm was the Xoom that had the 4G put in retroactively right?? Edit: Oh yeah, sorry, Galaxy Nexus as well.

But where has OMAP been besides in the GNex. I haven't even seen rumors or plans of it being in another phone or tablet and it's the lead processor for ICS.

Tegra2 was everywhere last year, especially on tablets.

The only people that really even care about not having a qualcomm processor are people like us, and like XDA Developers...

random peeps don't even know the name of the processor in there phone, let alone the name of the phone itself most of the time.
iirc, Samsung, Nvidia and Intel are all working on LTE basebands.

remember, Tegra 2 was leading the charge of the big Android Tablet push, so it was that with HC for bust for a while, while ICS isn't so locked down.

and OMAP4 has been in the Optimus 3D, Droid 3, Bionic, RAZR, Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet, Archos G9 and even the Blackberry Playbook.

OMAP5 won't be ready until 2H2012, so the announcements on new devices for that will come later in the year.

newjeruse

A lot of murmurs today about the HTC One X coming to Sprint, perhaps under a different name (HTC EVO LTE would make sense).
T-Mobile & Sprint HTC One X tipped

According to the folks over at AndroidAndMe, the "the HTC One X smartphone will launch on Sprint and T-Mobile this summer. Like AT&T’s variant, Sprint’s version will also use the dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor with integrated LTE. T-Mobile will go with the quad-core Tegra 3 processor that supports HSPA+, similar to the global version of the device."
http://www.motoringcrunch.com/news/mobile-tech/10057-sprint-htc-one-x-lte-4g

iirc, Samsung, Nvidia and Intel are all working on LTE basebands.

remember, Tegra 2 was leading the charge of the big Android Tablet push, so it was that with HC for bust for a while, while ICS isn't so locked down.

and OMAP4 has been in the Optimus 3D, Droid 3, Bionic, RAZR, Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet, Archos G9 and even the Blackberry Playbook.

OMAP5 won't be ready until 2H2012, so the announcements on new devices for that will come later in the year.

thanks for the OMAP info...

but see that's what i mean, they are all still just working on it...did qualcomm see the future? cuz they are earning money on being the only LTE proc out there. Especially with Verizon and AT&T demanding LTE phones only going forward. (probably trying to loosen up 3g strain)

can't wait for them to be done though because i would've like Tegra 3 in my HTC One X, even though S4 will be comparable for day to day use, just not graphics...

too bad the HTC One X won't be getting the 8960 Pro with the Adreno 320 instead of the 225

I rather get a head unit that literally run Android in it. Google music can sync the playlist.

Tethering IMO will cause more problems than provide benefit.

This!...car stereo manufacturers need to start using Android for their car stereo's. Especially video head units, i'm sure it would be nicely integrated with Android phones, using mirror link options over bluetooth with no wires...need to get all these wires outta my car.

A lot of murmurs today about the HTC One X coming to Sprint, perhaps under a different name (HTC EVO LTE would make sense).

http://www.motoringcrunch.com/news/mobile-tech/10057-sprint-htc-one-x-lte-4g

Sprint rumor is probably true, but i'd take that T-Mo rumor with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure that T-Mo's HSPA+ 42 network is limited to qualcomm proc's as well...hence the GSII on T-Mo having the qualcomm processor.

Ecto311

Anyone have a rom recommendation for the att i777 galaxy s2? Was looking at the links provided and have no clue what are good ones. Any with ICS right now? Better to wait for samsung/att to release something?

jayb

So if I buy a song from the google music market on my phone, can i really only use the the Google music app the play it? I'd like to play them using the stock Music app on the GS2 (so I can have lockscreen controls). but the songs never show up after I've set them to be available offline.

I've seen one suggestion that says to first download them to a PC, and then transfer to the phone. But I'd rather not have to do that extra step.

Circle T

So if I buy a song from the google music market on my phone, can i really only use the the Google music app the play it? I'd like to play them using the stock Music app on the GS2 (so I can have lockscreen controls). but the songs never show up after I've set them to be available offline.

I've seen one suggestion that says to first download them to a PC, and then transfer to the phone. But I'd rather not have to do that extra step.

I don't believe you have a choice. Even when the songs are stored for offline, they are placed in a directory that isn't normally scanned for media. Plus, it doesn't save them as what their file name normally is. They are just numbered files....

/sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music/

O3xXL.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom