• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any real reason why there havent been any recent announcements of phones with full qwerty keyboards?

The HTC One S sounds amazing, but I can't fathom getting a phone without a physical keyboard. There's been a dry spell of QWERTY phones, but not having at least one Android option really stings.

Are there even any keyboard cases, like the ones for the iPhone?
boxwave.jpg

kehs

Banned
in the spirit of discussion, who here has played with windows 8? I just downloaded the customer preview and it is clearly designed, and designed well, for tablets. I do love my transformer but I was honestly just blown away by metro. Windows Phone has it's good and bad but they've improved on a lot I feel. Android should definitely take some clues.

I'm pretty much just waiting for Asus to launch a Transformer Prime with W8. I'm really digging the Consumer Preview(even though I'm using it on a chromebook).

I'm not too worried about the desktop apps, because I'm setting up a proper server to remote into, so as long as they put a remote desktop app in the Store, I'm set.

thespot84

I'm pretty much just waiting for Asus to launch a Transformer Prime with W8. I'm really digging the Consumer Preview(even though I'm using it on a chromebook).

I'm not too worried about the desktop apps, because I'm setting up a proper server to remote into, so as long as they put a remote desktop app in the Store, I'm set.

I saw remote desktop in the consumer preview, though I didn't mess with it yet.

kehs

Banned
I saw remote desktop in the consumer preview, though I didn't mess with it yet.

You know, you're right, I just remember I tried it, but it didn't connect for whatever reason.

On the topic of Google taking cues, there's an inkling of similar gestures they should further purse. The quick controls, for example, are my favorite part of any android release in terms of interface. They teased with them alot in the HC teaser, I wish they'd follow through.

kehs

Banned
Thats just for one carrier (Verizon) and the internals are a bit dated at this point.

If they had the Droid for T-Mobile, I'd snap it up in a second.

Huwaii is releasing a mid range mytouch with keyboard on t-mo.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/03/t-mobiles-next-mytouch-devices-will-be-made-by-huawei/

If you're on T-Mo, your best bet it to just shop for a international phone, unlocked. Take most expensive phone they sell on your contract, and flip it to offset the unlocked phone.

Huwaii is releasing a mid range mytouch with keyboard on t-mo.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/03/t-mobiles-next-mytouch-devices-will-be-made-by-huawei/

If you're on T-Mo, your best bet it to just shop for a international phone, unlocked. Take most expensive phone they sell on your contract, and flip it to offset the unlocked phone.

Where would be a good place to look for world phones on the T-Mobile HSPA+ band?

Thanks for your patience. I'm new to this Android soiree and it's semi-confusing. I can unlock phones no problem (I've rooted and installed apks no problem on friends' phones) but finding a perfect phone for myself is a complete bitch.

Blackhead

Redarse
Where would be a good place to look for world phones on the T-Mobile HSPA+ band?

Thanks for your patience. I'm new to this Android soiree and it's semi-confusing. I can unlock phones no problem (I've rooted and installed apks no problem on friends' phones) but finding a perfect phone for myself is a complete bitch.

Most of the world doesn't use T-Mobile's HSPA+ band (AWS i.e 1700). I used GSMArena's phone finder with the 3 parameters (3G 1700, qwerty keyboard, android OS) and it returned only 15 results :?

in the spirit of discussion, who here has played with windows 8? I just downloaded the customer preview and it is clearly designed, and designed well, for tablets. I do love my transformer but I was honestly just blown away by metro. Windows Phone has it's good and bad but they've improved on a lot I feel. Android should definitely take some clues.
Yeah it's a bit of a clusterfuck on desktop but that thing will be amazing on tablets. can't count Google out of the race but they're going to have to really bring something special to compete with Apple and Microsoft in this space.

tino

Banned

European phone don't run on TMo USA's 3G network. TMobile use both 1700 and 2100 band. Don't listen the guy who ask you to buy European phone.

The only European phones that can run on TMo HSPA+ network are garbage Nikoa Symbian phones.

Enable bluetooth on both devices and then pair them (just press the device in the list and then accept on the other phone - you might have to type in a passcode if prompted, it will say so on the device you initiate the pairing). You can now send files back and forth using ther "Share" menu, where available.

Then try:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.iandrobot.andromouse.lite

or one of the other apps:
https://market.android.com/search?q=bluetooth+keyboard&c=apps

Thanks - I can't seem to get the first one to work though, because it needs a desktop download (and only works over Wi-Fi if you get the free version).

zoku88

European phone don't run on TMo USA's 3G network. TMobile use both 1700 and 2100 band. Don't listen the guy who ask you to buy European phone.

The only European phones that can run on TMo HSPA+ network are garbage Nikoa Symbian phones.

Do you mean, phones from Euro manufacturers, or phones released in Europe?

Because, there are other phones that have Tmo frequencies like the Nexus phones and I believe the Samsung Galaxy phones also had Tmo Freqs.

I imported a Galaxy Nexus.

EDIT: Also, the N8 had Tmo frequencies. Not Android, though...

tino

Banned
Do you mean, phones from Euro manufacturers, or phones released in Europe?

Because, there are other phones that have Tmo frequencies like the Nexus phones and I believe the Samsung Galaxy phones also had Tmo Freqs.

Phones not released by TMobile USA or not labelled as "Pentaband" phone.

zoku88

Phones not released by TMobile USA or not labelled as "Pentaband" phone.

Ok. Anyway, to the person who was asking the question. I would just recommended getting on the Nexus devices so you don't have to think too hard.

Too bad you missed the $530 deal for the GSM Nexus yesterday, though..

EDIT: oh, you are looking for a keyboard.... good luck there...

thespot84

Win 8 seems pretty shit so far, cant even see it being that great on tablets...

in what sense? While nothing is perfect, the design challenge of marrying the desktop style of windows and the launcher capability of phone's tablets is a pretty daunting one, and I think they did a great job. The desktop is there when you want it, and not there when you don't. Apps do a better job of displaying only the information you need when you need it. The metro UI is smooth and intuitive....what's so 'shit' about it?

kehs

Banned
in what sense? While nothing is perfect, the design challenge of marrying the desktop style of windows and the launcher capability of phone's tablets is a pretty daunting one, and I think they did a great job. The desktop is there when you want it, and not there when you don't. Apps do a better job of displaying only the information you need when you need it. The metro UI is smooth and intuitive....what's so 'shit' about it?

It's missing the almighty orb.

I would pay good money for a windows 8 tablet with a dock, and good laptop specs. Basically what I want is a laptop like specwise like Macbook Air or one of the Ultrabooks with a detachable screen that holds all its innards with Windows 8...

Seriously between iOS and Windows 8 for Tablets, I really don't see how Android will compete

Sarcasm

My only hate with W8 is the metro UI is completely utter horse poop. Its not even new looking. Other than that I have to really try it out. But as it stands I see no need for W8.

rozay

Banned
Yeah if asus has a device like the transformer ready for windows 8's launch, that thing will do some damage in the tablet market and go even further into the laptop market since it actually runs windows. There's absolutely no reason for me to recommend an android tablet to someone over an iPad or windows 8 tablet once it comes out. I don't know if Jelly Bean will do enough to change that-ICS is better than honeycomb in a lot of ways but I still don't feel it's enough.

HeySeuss

This has probably already been answered as I don't keep up with this thread, but is the galaxy note a timed exclusive for ATT or permanent?

rozay

Banned
This has probably already been answered as I don't keep up with this thread, but is the galaxy note a timed exclusive for ATT or permanent?
Hopefully timed as there was a verizon version floating around. If it isn't permanent, it'll likely show up on sprint and verizon, not sure about t-mobile.

HeySeuss

Hopefully timed as there was a verizon version floating around. If it isn't permanent, it'll likely show up on sprint and verizon, not sure about t-mobile.
That's cool. I played around with one at best buy today, and it seems really nice. I asked the dude and he said he thought it was going to turn into ATT's flagship Android phone and wouldn't be available on other carriers. But typically people in this thread are more knowledgeable so I figured I'd get the real answer...lol

rozay

Banned
That's cool. I played around with one at best buy today, and it seems really nice. I asked the dude and he said he thought it was going to turn into ATT's flagship Android phone and wouldn't be available on other carriers. But typically people in this thread are more knowledgeable so I figured I'd get the real answer...lol
It's their current top-dog in the android lineup but the Skyrocket HD will be coming out at some point soon as well, which is practically the same device minus the stylus and with the same screen as the galaxy nexus.

What carrier are you on? There really isn't any concrete info about the Verizon version other than the name being "Journal" and availability after a short period of exclusivity for at&t.

Al-ibn Kermit

I'm pretty sure the international version of the Galaxy Note works on T-mobile's network. If true, then there's nothing really to prevent T-mobile from getting it once the AT&T exclusivity deal runs out.

However, assuming the Note comes to the other carriers in a couple months, the GS3 may already be announced by then. I would think they would launch a new Note alongside the GS3.

HeySeuss

I'm on Verizon and in grandfathered in with unlimited data so I'm not going anywhere. I'm due for my upgrade for another 2 months. I was leaning toward the nexus, but I can wait.

My incredible is working fine still but I'm getting the itch.

Goldrush

While I think Windows 8 will make up a majority of the tablet space in a few years, I don't think it will a competitor to iPad and Android.

My guess is that Windows 8 tablet will replace laptop not other tablets. Just like notebook today, the only ones that will be worth getting will be priced higher than the iPad and Android tablets. I can't imagine a netbook spec tablet being able to actually take advantage of the features that makes Windows 8 so enticing.

Al-ibn Kermit

While I think Windows 8 will make up a majority of the tablet space in a few years, I don't think it will a competitor to iPad and Android.

My guess is that Windows 8 tablet will replace laptop not other tablets. Just like notebook today, the only ones that will be worth getting will be priced higher than the iPad and Android tablets. I can't imagine a netbook spec tablet being able to actually take advantage of the features that makes Windows 8 so enticing.

That actually makes sense. The main reason to get Windows is for the programs, meaning a Windows tablet with an ARM processor isn't going to be as useful unless you're always running a remote desktop app. In which case people would probably dual-boot Windows 8 and Android on the same tablet, unless there's some rule preventing manufacturers from doing that?

Something weird happened today. None of my capacitive keys were working so I restarted my phone and when I did the phone went from 30% battery to about 5%. Then in the next hour or so it slowly went back to about 20%.

0FZcf.png

DXPett1

Called Linux. I am not trying to sound like too much of a hater. >.<

I was more thinking of this little Operating System made specifically for touch-oriented devices from the same company called Windows Phone 7. You would have to be a little daft to think Microsoft wouldn't bring the majority of WP7 over to W8 for the sections aimed at tablets

...but I just noticed your username

jee

What are people missing with Android in tablets that iOS and Windows 8 might have? Just doesn't make sense to me when Android seems to be the most capable of the 3?

Garbaga

Banned
What are people missing with Android in tablets that iOS and Windows 8 might have? Just doesn't make sense to me when Android seems to be the most capable of the 3?

Windows 8 is prettier, imo, and what makes you think Win8 isn't as capable?

Windows 8 is prettier, imo, and what makes you think Win8 isn't as capable?

Win8 for ARM isn't Win8 for x86. The ARM version won't run any native x86 apps, so outside of sharing the same UI as Win8 for x86, it will have no apps except what's available for Windows Phone 7 (LOL).

Garbaga

Banned
Win8 for ARM isn't Win8 for x86. The ARM version won't run any native x86 apps, so outside of sharing the same UI as Win8 for x86, it will have no apps except what's available for Windows Phone 7 (LOL).

I thought he was just talking about the OS. Of course the apps aren't there yet.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
looks like the GN for Sprint is going to released next month..sounds legit seeing as the Nexus S came out around the same time last year.

Ashhong

Something weird happened today. None of my capacitive keys were working so I restarted my phone and when I did the phone went from 30% battery to about 5%. Then in the next hour or so it slowly went back to about 20%.

0FZcf.png

Heh, funny because this EXACT thing happened to me on my GS2. I posted about it on XDA and they said its normal for my phone to do that if you restart when the battery is below a certain point, i think like 40% or something. Nothing to worry about. What phone?

Yeah, the iPad is proof that people don't want tablets to be laptops without keyboards. Because laptops with keyboards are supercheap and they are available now for less than an iPad and they already run Windows. Where's the market for a laptop without a keyboard? All Windows tablets have never sold well, meanwhile the iPad shows up and sells 50 million units from launch to today.

MS is barking up the wrong tree (as usual) if they think Win8 for ARM will magically drive sales of tablets running Windows, especially since Win8 for ARM doesn't actually run any x86-native apps. Your dreams of running Photoshop on your Touchpad will remain sadly unrealized.

What really pisses me off is the drive to push Metro onto everything MS sells, I don't want fucking Metro on my Xbox 360's Dashboard, that's fucking retarded. I don't want fucking Metro on Win8 for my desktop PCs, that's fucking retarded. MS's solution to WP7 circling the drain a year after launch is to slap Metro on everything. Fuck that, and fuck YOU Ballmer.

tino

Banned
I think people who are waiving the w8 tablet flag are missing something. There are two classes of w8 tablets and both of them have serious weakness.

* A W8 tablet (ideally in Transformer style) running x86 chip will cost you $300 more than a competing Android tablet or iPad.

* A W8 tablet running ARM will have no application advantage over the iPad or the Android pad. It will start out with a smaller app library; and it will not catchup and surpass iOS/Android's app libraries.

Basically the application you want to run (let's say Photoshop) will either run on the x86 platform only; or it will be ported to iPad (and maybe Android) and the W8 ARM tablet at the same time.

So you either pay more $$$ for the applications you are familiar with (and these applications may not even have a good touch interface); or you are stuck with a tablet whose app library is 3rd best (or 4th best if you count the x86 W8 platform) on the market

The only saving grace of the W8ARM platform is it will have decent Office support. So if you are big into word and excel then knock yourself out.

Blackhead

Redarse
I think people who are waiving the w8 tablet flag are missing something. There are two classes of w8 tablets and both of them have serious weakness.

* A W8 tablet (ideally in Transformer style) running x86 chip will cost you $300 more than a competing Android tablet or iPad.

* A W8 tablet running ARM will have no application advantage over the iPad or the Android pad. It will start out with a smaller app library; and it will not catchup and surpass iOS/Android's app libraries.

Basically the application you want to run (let's say Photoshop) will either run on the x86 platform only; or it will be ported to iPad (and maybe Android) and the W8 ARM tablet at the same time.

So you either pay more $$$ for the applications you are familiar with (and these applications may not even have a good touch interface); or you are stuck with a tablet whose app library is 3rd best (or 4th best if you count the x86 W8 platform) on the market

The only saving grace of the W8ARM platform is it will have decent Office support. So if you are big into word and excel then knock yourself out.

Still a x86 Win8 tablet in the Transformer style will still be cheaper than a combo of an iPad/android tablet with a 'proper' desktop/laptop.

I also think you're looking at it from the consumer perspective. I think the enterprise perspective, with all the security features, virtualization options, centralization of IT management and Office, will consider the propositions differently.

kehs

Banned
I think intel's medfield has a good opportunity to do alot of things for both the Android and W8 tablet space.

As for W8 vs Android/ios, Microsoft almost always aims to launch a feature complete product(wp7 being the exception). So, while I like android for their constant feature add-ons. W8 is putting everything up front. Since I'd be using it mostly at home, everything is already in play in terms of functionality.

kinggroin

Banned
I think intel's medfield has a good opportunity to do alot of things for both the Android and W8 tablet space.

As for W8 vs Android/ios, Microsoft almost always aims to launch a feature complete product(wp7 being the exception). So, while I like android for their constant feature add-ons. W8 is putting everything up front. Since I'd be using it mostly at home, everything is already in play in terms of functionality.

This for me as well.

I can see a scenario in which a Win 8 tablet with dock, could replace my laptop completely (for what I use it for). Can't say that for android or ios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom