• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
The Galaxy Note commercial I've been seeing is so awful. It tries so hard to be like an Apple commercial. And the email client is absolutely hideous.

The guys in Verge Mobile argue this is the best kind of commercial for phones. It doesn't sell you on spec; it doesn't sell you with motorcycle riding Cyborg Ninja chick sliding shit in slow motion; it connects you in emotional level.

I kind of agree with them.

The RGBW pentile screen on Motorola phones has the advantage of being very bright. It's more comfortable to read in sunlight than most other phones.

Super AMOLED reads just fine in sunlight, that was one of the big selling reasons in the early days of low-resolution SAMOLED before Apple turned PPI into a household acronym when PenTile meant each (sub)pixel was the size of your fist.

The Verge reviewed the Xperia S.

Sony Xperia S

Wrap-up
It's not thinner, faster, stronger, or in any other way better than the pack

Ultimately, as forgiving as you may choose to be about the lack of Ice Cream Sandwich, there's no getting around the fact that the Xperia S is the sort of phone Sony (Ericsson) could have released three months ago. It has the same dual-core processor, the same display characteristics, and the same operating system as the HTC Rezound, which went on sale in the US in November. While HTC has already announced an upgrade to the Rezound in the form of the new HTC One X — with a faster processor and Android 4.0 preloaded — Sony seems content to sprinkle confetti atop hardware rapidly slipping from the top of the pile.

The Xperia S offers the best user experience we've yet seen on a Sony Android phone, but that in itself is not enough. Upcoming devices like the One X, LG Optimus 4X, and Samsung Galaxy S III threaten to obviate the Xperia S' existence before it's truly gotten started, while the currently available Galaxy Nexus shows it up in the usability stakes. The Xperia S isn't a bad phone, it's just not particularly good at any one thing. I find this disappointing because Sony's brand ethos has always been about conquering the heights of technology, not settling for a moderately good device in the middle of the pack. Judged by the company's own lofty standards, then, a flagship phone that fails to at least momentarily claim the title of best-in-class has to be considered a failure.

7.1 Verge Score

Good Stuff
  • Attractive, distinctive design
  • High-definition display
  • Strong camera performance
  • Good voice clarity and reception

Bad Stuff
  • Ships with dated software
  • Color banding may spoil display for some
  • Still no good reason to care about PlayStation certification
  • No microSD card slot or user-accessible battery

I've been looking to get into Android phones, since my 3G iPhone is in dire need of replacement.

I'm not sure whether this is true for all smart phones, but my 3G has become noticeably slower to the point of being nearly unusable over the period I've owned it (a little over two years). That's why I'm kind of hesitant to shell out 5 or 600 euros for something if I can expect it to work properly for only a limited period of time. And it sure as hell isn't going to be an iOS phone given my experience. So, considering all the new stuff that's coming out: the HTC One V, the Sony Xperia U, the Huawei Honor, etc. What would provide a decent balance in price/performance?

It looks like the Xperia U is going to be sold for about 250 euros here, which seems like a good deal for a dual core processor and a planned ICS upgrade. However, the lack of an SD card slot seems a bit of a drawback.

There's also all the different skins. Does it make sense to want as simple a version of android possible? Seems the less bloated option.

Opinions?

Angst

I've been looking to get into Android phones, since my 3G iPhone is in dire need of replacement.

I'm not sure whether this is true for all smart phones, but my 3G has become noticeably slower to the point of being nearly unusable over the period I've owned it (a little over two years). That's why I'm kind of hesitant to shell out 5 or 600 euros for something if I can expect it to work properly for only a limited period of time. And it sure as hell isn't going to be an iOS phone given my experience. So, considering all the new stuff that's coming out: the HTC One V, the Sony Xperia U, the Huawei Honor, etc. What would provide a decent balance in price/performance?

It looks like the Xperia U is going to be sold for about 250 euros here, which seems like a good deal for a dual core processor and a planned ICS upgrade. However, the lack of an SD card slot seems a bit of a drawback.

There's also all the different skins. Does it make sense to want as simple a version of android possible? Seems the less bloated option.

Opinions?
If you want a pure android experience, either go with a Nexus or a phone that is likely to get good community support. The SGSIII is bound to get CM9 pretty fast IMO.

Yeah, the Nexus looks pretty cool and that 720p screen is a nice feature. But at that point it's only a hundred more towards the HTC One X. Would that be worth it? The quad core is probably the biggest reason to do that.

However, those are the 500 (or more phones) I was looking to avoid. Though those screens would alleviate the need for something like an iPad, since your phone is actually useable at a size like that.

As for the HTC One V / Sony Xperia U comparison. No love at all for those phones? The price is quite alright...

well samsung hired the founder of cm.

i really wish that the price of nexus would drop in light of all these new phones.

Looks like it's about €450 here. Doesn't seem overly expensive for what it's offering?

Blackhead

Redarse
Can the Sony Tablet P be used as a phone? I assumed it wasn't a possibility but there's the messaging app:

TechnoBuffalo said:
jABLV.jpg

and

Pocket-lint said:
if you look really carefully, you'll see a notification light too. We really like this long, strip light. It's location is sensible for telling you when a message comes in. You can see it from a decent number of angles too, which is good and it's bright enough to really attract your attention.

CoGzA.jpg

?!?!?

yogloo

Galaxy note is really good. If you spend a lot of time browsing and reading on the device, it is one of the best out there. One thing that really wowed me until now is how the device fits into my pocket easily despite being 5.3" big. I'm not talking about cargo pants either, normal dress pants or sometimes jeans.

aznpxdd

Galaxy note is really good. If you spend a lot of time browsing and reading on the device, it is one of the best out there. One thing that really wowed me until now is how the device fits into my pocket easily despite being 5.3" big. I'm not talking about cargo pants either, normal dress pants or sometimes jeans.

Yeah just saw my friend using his GN the other day, looked pretty good. Though I'm good with my T-Mobile S2 @ 4.5" screen.

Blackhead

Redarse
OK you got me. I have taken a couple phone calls on my Galaxy Tab (my 2nd google voice number), but how do you make call with a tablet P?

I have no idea. I assume it has a microphone (although Sony doesn't list it) but it supports bluetooth 2.1 anyway so that should be covered. I haven't seen a hint anywhere that it can be used for phone calls and sms which is why I was very surprised to see that Android messaging application right there, like it wasn't a big deal. There hasn't been Android tablet yet released by any of the US carriers that's been allowed to keep the phone functionality :? Perhaps I'm reading too much into the presence of the messaging app, does your Galaxy tab have it?

tino

Banned
I have no idea. I assume it has a microphone (although Sony doesn't list it) but it supports bluetooth 2.1 anyway so that should be covered. I haven't seen a hint anywhere that it can be used for phone calls and sms which is why I was very surprised to see that Android messaging application right there, like it wasn't a big deal. There hasn't been Android tablet yet released by any of the US carriers that's been allowed to keep the phone functionality :? Perhaps I'm reading too much into the presence of the messaging app, does your Galaxy tab have it?

All the 7" tablets like Galaxy Tab and Huawei MediaPad have call and text function outside of the U.S. You just have to flash a oversea ROM to get those functions.

Blackhead

Redarse
All the 7" tablets like Galaxy Tab and Huawei MediaPad have call and text function outside of the U.S. You just have to flash a oversea ROM to get those functions.

Yeah I know but these Sony Tablet P supposedly being reviewed are running the AT&T ROM. I don't think the international version even had support for the text and call function. The Sony Tablet P has no community support—not even a forum on XDA; I don't think it's been rooted either. I've been trying to decide between the Galaxy Tab 7.7 and the Memo 171 (which is supposed to be released today) but didn't consider the Sony Tablet P at all... until now.

jayb

The guys in Verge Mobile argue this is the best kind of commercial for phones. It doesn't sell you on spec; it doesn't sell you with motorcycle riding Cyborg Ninja chick sliding s*** in slow motion; it connects you in emotional level.

I kind of agree with them.

they are absolutely correct. People want to see what a phone can do, not skydivers jumping out of airplanes with glowing orbs.

gcubed

they had a big kiosk in a huge mall near me in Philadelphia. They had an artist drawing caricatures of people on the Note and printing them out. It was a pretty cool kiosk

tino

Banned
Yeah I know but these Sony Tablet P supposedly being reviewed are running the AT&T ROM. I don't think the international version even had support for the text and call function. The Sony Tablet P has no community support—not even a forum on XDA; I don't think it's been rooted either. I've been trying to decide between the Galaxy Tab 7.7 and the Memo 171 (which is supposed to be released today) but didn't consider the Sony Tablet P at all... until now.
You just have to wait till the overseas version come out so you can put your hand on the ROM.

Many device don't have a forum on XDA, the MediaPad got a official thread, that's it!

I like the Tablet but Its too expensive. I actually entertain the idea of the old 8" Various P netbook.

Blackhead

Redarse
You just have to wait till the overseas version come out so you can put your hand on the ROM.

Many device don't have a forum on XDA, the MediaPad got a official thread, that's it!

I like the Tablet but Its too expensive. I actually entertain the idea of the old 8" Various P netbook.

The overseas version came out it November. I guess that shows how much of a flop it was; it didn't make a splash in the market at all :|. The Sony Tablet P is $400 on contract with AT&T but Sony sells it for $550 off-contract which is cheaper than what it'll take to import the Galaxy Tab 7.7 or Asus Memo for ~$660 or ~$750 respectively. It's about what you'd expect to pay for a high end phone (the iPhone 4S starts at $650).

Doopliss

well samsung hired the founder of cm.

i really wish that the price of nexus would drop in light of all these new phones.
That hasn't helped the SGS2 at all. The main CM9 dev for the device has said he won't be buying another (non-Nexus) Samsung phone:

https://twitter.com/#!/codeworkx/status/175934183389151232 said:
doesn't change the fact that #sony supports the community and #samsung doesn't. giving out free phones was only for PR. #bigfake

https://twitter.com/#!/codeworkx/status/175937841333932032 said:
they never provided sources like others do. only kernel sources, nothing else. zero support.

tino

Banned
The overseas version came out it November. I guess that shows how much of a flop it was; it didn't make a splash in the market at all :|. The Sony Tablet P is $400 on contract with AT&T but Sony sells it for $550 off-contract which is cheaper than what it'll take to import the Galaxy Tab 7.7 or Asus Memo for ~$660 or ~$750 respectively. It's about what you'd expect to pay for a high end phone (the iPhone 4S starts at $650).
I would advise against it. Device like this wont get any community support. I am still looking for way to unlock my X
ATT Xperia Play's goddamn bootloader.

I am going to buy an used SpringPad for about 300.

Al-ibn Kermit

Super AMOLED reads just fine in sunlight, that was one of the big selling reasons in the early days of low-resolution SAMOLED before Apple turned PPI into a household acronym when PenTile meant each (sub)pixel was the size of your fist.
Well the Motorola screens are better than just fine in sunlight. So if your main concern is reading black on white text, it could be the best option. For somebody who wants to watch a lot of video though, I would say amoled is probably better.

Blackhead

Redarse
I would advise against it. Device like this wont get any community support. I am still looking for way to unlock my X
ATT Xperia Play's goddamn bootloader.

I am going to buy an used SpringPad for about 300.

Yeah :/. the foldable portable design, greater screen estate and notification led make it more appealing that the other tabs but I know it'll be obsolete in a month and have no resale value. The smartest move is to go with one of the 7" tablets. *sigh* still have a few more days to decide. I'm waiting until after the Apple event.

Tizoc

Hope someone can help please, I got a friend who just got an Android and is trying to find an app that'll play MKV files, so what are some good software for that?

gcubed

so Sammy India said March 15th for ICS on the SGS2?

Hopefully thats across all of Europe (and a start for the US... hahahah... ok ok). ICS needs some marketshare to force app updates.

Circle T

Yeah :/. the foldable portable design, greater screen estate and notification led make it more appealing that the other tabs but I know it'll be obsolete in a month and have no resale value. The smartest move is to go with one of the 7" tablets. *sigh* still have a few more days to decide. I'm waiting until after the Apple event.

I just tried with the one on the floor, and YES the Sony P can send and receive text messages. I sent a message to my work phone, and it went just fine, as did my reply back to it. Now, I don't know if this is because of the company SIM inside allowing it whereas normal customers won't be able to, but the hardware did it just fine. Calls to the number, though, just came up with the disconnected sound. But SMS was fine.

On a side note, though, the thing is really not that great. The screens are ok, at best, but the dual screen setup just makes more issues than it solves. Web browsing is awkward, some apps only use one screen, the PlayStation usage is just not good due to the on-screen controls, and the speaker is atrocious. It works pretty good for watching video, as it uses the top screen for the video, and shows the controls on the lower screen. And it has a quick-button to send video via DLNA to a TV. All-in-all, though, it just just too funky for its own good. Especially at the price.

Question about app development (by a newbie):

You know how the browser can send Maps or Market links to their respective apps? Can any app do that? For example, if the Yelp developers wanted to, can they detect Yelp links from the browser and (ask the user if they want to) send them to their app? If so, how would I use this feature in the Android App Inventor?

kehs

Banned
Question about app development (by a newbie):

You know how the browser can send Maps or Market links to their respective apps? Can any app do that? For example, if the Yelp developers wanted to, can they detect Yelp links from the browser and (ask the user if they want to) send them to their app? If so, how would I use this feature in the Android App Inventor?

Yup, they're called intents.

Any app can declare itself to be a receiver for an intent. Youtube for example, all it does is declare itself as an intent receiver for URLs that inclued the domain "www.youtube.com".

You can do this with all types of mime types from txt files, to mp3s, urls, basically any type of data. It's how apps can communicate with each other without specifically knowing what other apps are there, or will be there in the future.

This recent blog post from the Android site touches on it.

equap

Banned
so i got the Samsung Galaxy S2 for Sprint and scrolling wallpaper feature is disable..wtf?! did i miss a setting or seomthing?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm. Is verizon data down again? Nothing here in Nashville for the past 2 hours or so. No LTE or 3G or anything.

My biggest problem with Android devices- the insane turnaround time for a new OS. Simply inexcusable.

Is Ice Cream Sandwich out yet?
http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/5/2846170/android-ice-cream-sandwich-delay-editorial

chart

Several months after release, ICS sits at around 1% marketshare. How much more will it get before Jellybean? It might still be in the single digits, which is insane. Developers basically cannot optimize or take real advantage of new OS features, as the spread will be so, so wide and always an insignificant percentage of users on the latest release, with most being 2+ major releases behind.

Cipherr

That hasn't helped the SGS2 at all. The main CM9 dev for the device has said he won't be buying another (non-Nexus) Samsung phone:

We will see. GS3 will likely be the best selling Android phone this year, in the end itll probably be the best selling single Android phone ever before its replaced. Im willing to bet my left leg that the S3 is in NO way lacking support for custom fw. CM crew may not (and I do mean 'may') support it, but thats sort of on them, there wont be a lack of support for that phone. At all.

Syraxith

I've searched around the web but have not found a concrete answer.

Question:

I bought a Galaxy S2 this Saturday and loving it so far. My problem is that I can't seem to find a way to change the slide screen wallpaper (if it's even possible). Can anyone help me out here?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Question:

I bought a Galaxy S2 this Saturday and loving it so far. My problem is that I can't seem to find a way to change the slide screen wallpaper (if it's even possible). Can anyone help me out here?

According to my googling:

Settings - Display - Screen display - Lock screen - Wallpaper

tino

Banned

Question:

Install ADW Launcher, problem solved.

Cipherr

My biggest problem with Android

Yeah, I think we got that when you posted, the exact same thing like 6 pages ago. And here it is again, out of nowhere having nothing to do with whats being discussed. Did you just check your RSS feed and see that article and search for this thread?

Install ADW Launcher, problem solved.

That may do it, but I dont think thats the only way to change that lockscreen wallpaper.

Oh wait, are you rooted? If you're not, then all you did was disable the camera, you can go to settings > apps > all, then scroll to the bottom and you'll see all the disabled apps.

Oh, sweet - thank you!

But the panorama mode isn't working. In fact, it's only worked once - now whenever I switch to panorama, the camera just goes black. I can press the button to record/take the picture, but no picture ever shows up...

Thanks will tell him about them and let him try it out =)

I'm pretty sure diceplayer fell from the heavens and bestowed itself upon our unwashed selves.

We are not worthy of its glory.

Several months after release, ICS sits at around 1% marketshare. How much more will it get before Jellybean? It might still be in the single digits, which is insane. Developers basically cannot optimize or take real advantage of new OS features, as the spread will be so, so wide and always an insignificant percentage of users on the latest release, with most being 2+ major releases behind.

If by "Several months" you mean "Two and a half months" then sure.

By the end of April we should be seeing significant penetration of ICS in the android ecosystem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom