• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Still a x86 Win8 tablet in the Transformer style will still be cheaper than a combo of an iPad/android tablet with a 'proper' desktop/laptop.

I also think you're looking at it from the consumer perspective. I think the enterprise perspective, with all the security features, virtualization options, centralization of IT management and Office, will consider the propositions differently.
Why would any corporate purchase consider tablet in the first place though. I have not seen a use case of tablet in business except for inventory management (UPS, installer, 7-11).

If you work in an office, there is no reason to detach the keyboard.

I think transformer form factor is 90﹪ consumer oriented. Tablet is 100 percent consumer.

Blackhead

Redarse
Why would any corporate purchase consider tablet in the forst place though. I have not seen a use case of tablet in business except for inventory management (UPS, instaaller, 7-11).

I think transformer form factor is 90﹪ consumer oriented.

presentations, note taking during meetings

Why would any corporate purchase consider tablet in the first place though. I have not seen a use case of tablet in business except for inventory management (UPS, installer, 7-11).

I think transformer form factor is 90﹪ consumer oriented. Tablet is 100 percent consumer.

I work in healthcare, and all of the major corporations that supply our medical devices are switching over to the iPad over dedicated laptops. Most of the sales/equipment representatives come with iPads that are loaded with several apps which were written internally in their companies to help with presentations, statistics, and productivity. They use these iPads to educate us about new medical equipment. Most of the reps love using the tablet because of easy of use, portability, and excellent battery life compared to their old laptops.

Sarcasm

I work in healthcare, and all of the major corporations that supply our medical devices are switching over to the iPad over dedicated laptops. Most of the sales/equipment representatives come with iPads that are loaded with several apps which were written internally in their companies to help with presentations, statistics, and productivity. They use these iPads to educate us about new medical equipment. Most of the reps love using the tablet because of easy of use, portability, and excellent battery life compared to their old laptops.

Just need to ignore people who say that. I see tablets issued in business world more than you'd think. Both iOS and Android.

gcubed

Still a x86 Win8 tablet in the Transformer style will still be cheaper than a combo of an iPad/android tablet with a 'proper' desktop/laptop.

I also think you're looking at it from the consumer perspective. I think the enterprise perspective, with all the security features, virtualization options, centralization of IT management and Office, will consider the propositions differently.

Windows 8 on ARM has no enterprise compatibility.

Lesiroth

A Windows 8 x86 tablet with a keyboard dock ala Transformer Prime is probably their best bet IMO. Keeping app compatibility as well as providing a decent tablet interface is something I would be pretty interested in.

Heh, funny because this EXACT thing happened to me on my GS2. I posted about it on XDA and they said its normal for my phone to do that if you restart when the battery is below a certain point, i think like 40% or something. Nothing to worry about. What phone?

GS2 as well.

I guess it's not uncommon then. I wouldn't consider it normal though, this is definitely some sort of bug.

Alright guys I just got my very first smart phone and I've been bashing my head against the wall all day trying to solve this problem. This thread seemed like a good place to start...

I want to playback all the audio from my phone, including music and web browsing to my bluetooth earpiece.

There are tons of apps that allow this, but all of them give me the same problem. It works fine for like literally two seconds and then starts to skip and stutter. The only way to make the audio stream uninterrupted is to constantly adjust the volume because for some reason when that 'Bluetooth in-call volume' window is up, the audio streams perfectly. So basically if I just keep moving the volume up and down over and over again the audio does not skip or stutter at all. The very second that window goes away it starts to skip again. It does this for every single app that allows earpiece audio.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Attain and my earpiece is a Samsung WEP460.

Can someone help steer my in the right direction?

Windows 8 =
423169_main.jpg

Android =
hero-showdown-batman-vs-iron-man-20071003035548564-000.jpg

DXPett1

Its purely demand. Every enterprise is under serious pressure from their workers to get tablets thanks to the craze over iPads. There is no logical reasoning for them (they are purpose built consumer machiens) but that is not slowing the demand for them

Android Jelly Bean could come first from Asus

Asus hopes its close partnership with Google will lead it to be the first company to offer devices running Android Jelly Bean - version 5.0.

Asus prides itself on its Android upgrade efficiency, as it was the first to provide tablets running Honeycomb and the first to push the Ice Cream Sandwich update to its tablets.

Benson Lin, Asus' Corporate Vice President told TechRadar: "Asus is very close to Google, so once they have Android 5.0 I think there will be a high possibility that we will be the first wave to offer the Jelly Bean update."

Lean, mean, jelly bean machine

Asus announced its 3-in-1 Padfone device at MWC 2012, which sees a mobile phone, tablet and netbook combined into one device running Android Ice Cream Sandwich.
Asus hopes the Padfone will help it gain traction in the mobile market and if it produces quality handsets, the promise of a speedy upgrade to Android Jelly Bean in the future may see consumers flock to the Taiwanese firm.

We've already heard from LG that it is committed to upgrading its 2012 handset range to Android Jelly Bean once it becomes available, so it will be interesting to see which manufacturer can turn it around in the shortest amount of time.

3phemeral

Anyone use Enhanced Email?

I'm having an issue with trying to delete multiple emails via combined inbox by using a common search term.

This can't be intentional, right? I mean, After searching for a term in the combined inbox, the results are displayed and I'm allowed to checkbox every item; however, I'm unable to actually delete any of the selected items (other than opening each email individually and deleting). Pressing the 3-dot menu button reveals no additional options.

Seems pointless to allow multi-selection if you can't group delete.

Hey guys - Just a quick update on my phone search.. if anyone cares.

Coming from using Windows Mobile/Phone... Exclusively for the last ~7 years (November 2005-current), I wanted a new OS that was more in line with WM6.5, which Android looks to be. However, it looked bleak for me as I wanted a phone with not only the latest internals and a great screen, but a phone with a slide out keyboard.

I had begun to lose hope and started 'settling', saying things like "I could accept a keyboardless phone maybe if it had a 4.8" screen" or "The new Huawei Mytouch's are at least more up to date than my TPro 2 running Android", but something in me told me to hold out hope and wait for spring. SOMETHING might come around.

Well... Nothing looks to be coming around, but I considered searching some more and found a solution. Get a DIY Keyboard case!

Following this guide , I can make any phone with case a slide out phone, very much like the Touch Pro 2.

20110923_204126.jpg

2011-10-03%2B22.57.05.jpg

2011-10-03%2B23.02.14.jpg

I'm going to use Gorilla Glue Strips instead of Mirror Mounting glue, for thinner adhesion and a much stronger bond.

At least one of my fears are allayed! Now, I will wait to see what the most powerful phone on the market mid march will be!

My brother's LG Optimus One 500h is constantly freezing to a black screen after upgrading using the official LG tool to 2.3

Any suggestions for firmware to put on it? I'm not too sure myself as I use a ZTE Blade/Orange San Francisco that I've had since I was in England.

Al-ibn Kermit

Rumor: Google Nexus tablet to be made by Asus.

So what is the point of the Memo 370T then? And if this is true, it makes sense that they would get Jellybean first.

Maybe they'll add a wacom stylus or LTE? The article mentions that they might actually drop internatl storage a little to get down to $200.

Or maybe nothing will be added or dropped and the Memo370T will just be renamed to Nexus? That makes sense since the article mentions that it was after seeing the Memo370T at CES that Google was impressed enough with it to approach Asus about making it the Nexus tablet. It doesn't make sense to sell two slightly different tablets with totally different names just because the have a different amount of storage space. With phones that happens because different phones can have different radios that make them locked to a particular carrier (ie: Motorola Atrix/Photon/Bionic).

If the padfone somehow becomes a huge success, maybe it'll become like an all-in-one Nexus device?

yogloo

I think people who are waiving the w8 tablet flag are missing something. There are two classes of w8 tablets and both of them have serious weakness.

* A W8 tablet (ideally in Transformer style) running x86 chip will cost you $300 more than a competing Android tablet or iPad.

* A W8 tablet running ARM will have no application advantage over the iPad or the Android pad. It will start out with a smaller app library; and it will not catchup and surpass iOS/Android's app libraries.

Basically the application you want to run (let's say Photoshop) will either run on the x86 platform only; or it will be ported to iPad (and maybe Android) and the W8 ARM tablet at the same time.

So you either pay more $$$ for the applications you are familiar with (and these applications may not even have a good touch interface); or you are stuck with a tablet whose app library is 3rd best (or 4th best if you count the x86 W8 platform) on the market

The only saving grace of the W8ARM platform is it will have decent Office support. So if you are big into word and excel then knock yourself out.

There is another class of W8 tablet. A class that does not exist yet because there are no W8 tablet for sale right now. And the fact that W8 is not even final or out yet.
Why so defensive over something that is not even out there??

tino

Banned
There is another class of W8 tablet. A class that does not exist yet because there are no W8 tablet for sale right now. And the fact that W8 is not even final or out yet.
Why so defensive over something that is not even out there??
Another class of what? Are you going to finish the sentence?

I don't need to defend my position I was pretty critical of Android just 1 page back.

Out of curiosity, how much would a capacitive touchscreen that is not larger than 15" and can be used as a monitor and a W8 input device cost? If such thing even exists.

kehs

Banned
Out of curiosity, how much would a capacitive touchscreen that is not larger than 15" and can be used as a monitor and a W8 input device cost? If such thing even exists.

Probably around $150-$200. I paid $80 for a shitty 10" capacitive overlay about three years ago.

yogloo

Another class of what? Are you going to finish the sentence?

I don't need to defend my position I was pretty critical of Android just 1 page back.

Trying categorize w8 tablets into class right now is lunacy simply because w8 tablets are not out yet. There is no class because there is no product.

yogloo

I think people who are waiving the w8 tablet flag are missing something. There are two classes of w8 tablets and both of them have serious weakness.

* A W8 tablet (ideally in Transformer style) running x86 chip will cost you $300 more than a competing Android tablet or iPad.

* A W8 tablet running ARM will have no application advantage over the iPad or the Android pad. It will start out with a smaller app library; and it will not catchup and surpass iOS/Android's app libraries.

Basically the application you want to run (let's say Photoshop) will either run on the x86 platform only; or it will be ported to iPad (and maybe Android) and the W8 ARM tablet at the same time.

So you either pay more $$$ for the applications you are familiar with (and these applications may not even have a good touch interface); or you are stuck with a tablet whose app library is 3rd best (or 4th best if you count the x86 W8 platform) on the market

The only saving grace of the W8ARM platform is it will have decent Office support. So if you are big into word and excel then knock yourself out.

W8 tablet that runs x86 that costs $300 more than android tabs? Well unless you are from the future, we don't know the price of W8 tablets yet.

W8 apps will never catch up to android? If we are talking about iOS, I might agree with you. But android's tablet offerings right now are lacking and terrible. It is very possible for W8 to catch up with android in term of tablet apps.

kehs

Banned
W8 tablet that runs x86 that costs $300 more than android tabs? Well unless you are from the future, we don't know the price of W8 tablets yet.

W8 apps will never catch up to android? If we are talking about iOS, I might agree with you. But android's tablet offerings right now are lacking and terrible. It is very possible for W8 to catch up with android in term of tablet apps.

Ipads just like the iphone are going to flatten out at about 35 percent market share.

tino

Banned
Trying categorize w8 tablets into class right now is lunacy simply because w8 tablets are not out yet. There is no class because there is no product.

So your logic is that we can't criticize a product until its available to retail channel? Do I have to own it in order to comment on it too?

Fine, I will take back the W8x86 is $300 more expensive remark and change to "W8x86 battery life is much worse than ARM tablets." Go ahead and argue with that.

Cipherr

So your logic is that we can criticize a product until its available to retail channel? Do I have to own it in order to criticize it too?

Fine, I will take back the W8x86 is $300 more expensive remark and change to "W8x86 battery life is much worse than ARM tablets" Go ahead and argue with that.

Yeah I'm not understanding him here. Noone can make a statement about W8 that involves a little forecasting if its negative, because the tablets aren't out yet, but its perfectly ok to make the statement and forecast that W8 tablet apps will overcome android tablet apps?

This is the sort of stuff that just reinforces, "Go talk about W8 in the Windows thread, and talk about Android here please". Thx.

jokkir

Why is the Facebook app so awful? I know they updated it to make it "better" but now it's just so slow. Even if my data decides to have decent speeds (150kb/s), it takes forever to load up the news feed. It loads once, they for some reason loads a second thing where both take forever to load whatever they're loading.

I have no problems with my other social media apps like Twitter & Google+. Bleh, I think I might switch back to using the web browser for Facebook.

Unicorn

The Droid 4 is pretty bad.

Why? I was looking forward to getting that as I'm rocking the original Droid now. I mainly wanted it for the physical keyboard, but what makes it so bad?

Why is the Facebook app so awful? I know they updated it to make it "better" but now it's just so slow. Even if my data decides to have decent speeds (150kb/s), it takes forever to load up the news feed. It loads once, they for some reason loads a second thing where both take forever to load whatever they're loading.

I have no problems with my other social media apps like Twitter & Google+. Bleh, I think I might switch back to using the web browser for Facebook.

I had the same problem, then one of the comments for the app revealed the answer. I even asked here and no one had a proper answer besides touch.facebook.com which is fine, but the answer is this:

go into app settings and you can manually remove all updates for the facebook app. Sure, you lose a lot of the newer features, but it's got the basics, plus it boots almost instantly. I'll take speedy feature-lite version over utterly broken crashfest.

Why? I was looking forward to getting that as I'm rocking the original Droid now. I mainly wanted it for the physical keyboard, but what makes it so bad?

Say hello to Moto's PenTile LCD screens. Yeah, PenTile LCD, it's the worst of both worlds! Beyond that the phone itself isn't terrible in terms of hardware specs, though it still runs Gingerbread overlaid with MotoShit and Moto has already announced that the existing Droid series won't be getting ICS until Q3.

rozay

Banned
Say hello to Moto's PenTile LCD screens. Yeah, PenTile LCD, it's the worst of both worlds! Beyond that the phone itself isn't terrible in terms of hardware specs, though it still runs Gingerbread overlaid with MotoShit and Moto has already announced that the existing Droid series won't be getting ICS until Q3.
Unfortunately, it's the only phone with a decent keyboard out now. I hate motorola's recent phones but I have to at least give them credit for catering to that audience, it's a really nice keyboard.

Cipherr

Motoshit + Pentile LCD + Gingerbread with no ICS till late 2012? Incredible failure. Just, incredible.

so i guess since we are in a news drought until the SGSIII comes out we are back to arguing about pentile screens and which galaxy is the best galaxy?

yogloo

PS4 is going to fail.
PS4 probably is going to fail.
These two statements are similar yet the undertones are different.

Re-read the way we word our statements. I say it is possible for W8 to best android regarding tablet apps. Why do I say "possible"? Because I don't know what's going to happen. The thing is not out yet. It is only a guess. It might or it might not.
But when you say "There are two classes of w8 tablets and both of them have serious weakness" you are just setting it in stone.

Might be just semantics, but I'm anal like that.

No, you don't need to own something to criticize it, but you should spend some time with the final product.

Regarding the battery life, now THAT I agree with you. Most probably the x86 version will have terrible battery life unless intel pull out something special out of their sleeves.

I'm not exactly trying to defend W8 in anyway. I saw a questionable statement, I called him out on it. That's it.

And true, we should probably bring this discussion to the W8 thread instead of discussing it here. So I'll shut up about it from now.

Back to android.
Galaxy note is best galaxy :p

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Galaxy Note commercial I've been seeing is so awful. It tries so hard to be like an Apple commercial. And the email client is absolutely hideous.

Al-ibn Kermit

The RGBW pentile screen on Motorola phones has the advantage of being very bright. It's more comfortable to read in sunlight than most other phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom