• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a new phone, I'm really interested in the Galaxy Nexus, you think I should wait a bit more or just go ahead and buy it?

Never had an android phone before.

JordanKZ

Looking for a new phone, I'm really interested in the Galaxy Nexus, you think I should wait a bit more or just go ahead and buy it?

From most opinions in this thread, it's between the GN (Galaxy Nexus) and the GN (Galaxy Note).

Do you need a 5+ screen and a huge battery (from what I understand) or a 4.3+ screen and a so-so battery (about 3 hours of heavy use).

But saying that, modding the galaxy nexus is a joy and the support from Google will be great for at least the next 18-24 months.

Do you need a phone right now? Go get it, it's a fantastic device and you won't have to worry about OS upgrade drama with it.

If you can wait, then it might be worth to stick it out until the Galaxy S III announcement which is expected to happen next month.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

I think the main contenders are the Galaxy Nexus, the Galaxy Note, or the HTC One X. Of course the Galaxy SIII is looming somewhere beyond the horizon. I doubt you'll be unhappy with any of them really. You can wait for the SIII but who knows how many months that will take.

Thanks for all the replies!

Yeah what's holding me back is the SIII announcement, but my current phone is dying, and the screen on the Galaxy Nexus took my breath away. Saw the Galaxy Note but felt it's too big.

Is the battery for the Nexus that bad though?

Divvy

Yeah what's holding me back is the SIII announcement, but my current phone is dying, and the screen on the Galaxy Nexus took my breath away. Saw the Galaxy Note but felt it's too big.

No, usually lasts me two days, but I'm not an especially heavy user.

JordanKZ

Yes and no.

If you mod it (custom ROM, kernal, baseband) you'll get around the following:
Screen Off: 1-1.5% battery drain per hour with WiFi on, sync delay set to every 15 minutes and hotplug mod (turns off one of the CPU cores when the screen is off)
Screen On: 1% every 2-3 minutes (depending on what you're doing, this can be much higher) with the screen on with automatic brightness.

Today I played Dungeon Village for 2 hours. My battery dropped to 40-ish%, used it off and on since then (around 5pm) and I'm now at 35% battery.

EDIT: To clarify, this is a fairly unusual day. Most of the time I end up with 85% battery life having listened to at least 2 hours of music, made several texts and took a couple of phone calls.

I find my tuna to be pretty acceptable in terms of battery life. I've got it connected to wifi when at work and at home and it has quite a lot of charge left by the end of the day.

Doopliss

We will see. GS3 will likely be the best selling Android phone this year, in the end itll probably be the best selling single Android phone ever before its replaced. Im willing to bet my left leg that the S3 is in NO way lacking support for custom fw. CM crew may not (and I do mean 'may') support it, but thats sort of on them, there wont be a lack of support for that phone. At all.
I didn't mean to suggest that that one guy not working on the GS3 would mean it won't get CM9, just that the fact that Steve Kondik works for Samsung doesn't necessarily mean that AOSP ROMs on their devices will be any good, which is what the poster I quoted was sort of implying. The precedent from the GS2 is that they'll be buggy and have missing features.

I guess it's good enough then. From all the reviews I've read, I think I'm going to love it.

Now to find a good Navigation app that works offline. It's going to be hard finding an app similar to the one on my 5800 XpressMusic.

Casp0r

Banned
Now to find a good Navigation app that works offline. It's going to be hard finding an app similar to the one on my 5800 XpressMusic.

Along these lines, does anyone know how/if it's possible to make google maps cache and save every area you go to. So for instance, I don't re-download my local towns map each and every time I decide to find some directions.

Edit: Holy shit thanks JordanKZ

kehs

Banned
My biggest problem with Android devices- the insane turnaround time for a new OS. Simply inexcusable.

Is Ice Cream Sandwich out yet?
http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/5/2846170/android-ice-cream-sandwich-delay-editorial

chart

Several months after release, ICS sits at around 1% marketshare. How much more will it get before Jellybean? It might still be in the single digits, which is insane. Developers basically cannot optimize or take real advantage of new OS features, as the spread will be so, so wide and always an insignificant percentage of users on the latest release, with most being 2+ major releases behind.

This conversation has, literally, happened with every major AOSP source release, and it's going to continue happening with every major AOSP source release.

Literally.

Developers basically cannot optimize or take real advantage of new OS features,

Alot of the features have been backported to gingerbread. Fragments, action bar, misc libraries. Gingerbread can literally use features from 4.0 when devs include the back ported libraries.

Literally.

Blackhead

Redarse
I just tried with the one on the floor, and YES the Sony P can send and receive text messages. I sent a message to my work phone, and it went just fine, as did my reply back to it. Now, I don't know if this is because of the company SIM inside allowing it whereas normal customers won't be able to, but the hardware did it just fine. Calls to the number, though, just came up with the disconnected sound. But SMS was fine.

On a side note, though, the thing is really not that great. The screens are ok, at best, but the dual screen setup just makes more issues than it solves. Web browsing is awkward, some apps only use one screen, the PlayStation usage is just not good due to the on-screen controls, and the speaker is atrocious. It works pretty good for watching video, as it uses the top screen for the video, and shows the controls on the lower screen. And it has a quick-button to send video via DLNA to a TV. All-in-all, though, it just just too funky for its own good. Especially at the price.
Thanks for the heads up. I'd really like to have a tablet as phone. I'm quite bored and frustrated with the limitations of the popular phones available.

tino

Banned
Thanks for that. I actually read about it a couple of days ago, but I think it still needs a connection to do the actual route calculation no?

I sometimes find myself in places with very bad coverage/none whatsoever, so proper offline support would be great.
Try copilot, i believe the offline feature is free.

yogloo

Galaxy note is an extremely niche device. Great but it might not be for everyone. You should try it out before buying that.
I think you should wait for samsung galaxy III though if you want a normal sized phone. Just wait and see what III offers.

kehs

Banned
Galaxy note is an extremely niche device. Great but it might not be for everyone. You should try it out before buying that.
I think you should wait for samsung galaxy III though if you want a normal sized phone. Just wait and see what III offers.

Samsung just said they've sold two million worldwide, I don't think Best Galaxy has sold that much, and it's on Verizon.

Amazon finally updated their Amazon Appstore for Android app with the option to disable notifications!

u2w4E.png
4S8rn.png

cqgE1.png
AroGL.png

They gotta do something about the installation flow. I'm guessing it's much easier on the Kindle?

Accept...Accept....Accept...Accept.

Sarcasm

He said Nexus. Not note.

Both are great phones though. I have a Note. With technology if you wait, you will wait forever.

Divvy

He said Nexus. Not note.

Both are great phones though. I have a Note. With technology if you wait, you will wait forever.

Though, to be fair, when the SIII comes out, everyone who bought a phone in the last few months will probably get a bit jealous.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
somebody define "normal sized phone"

edit: I remember when the 4.3 screen on the HTC HD2 was seen as "gigantic"

nowadays...4.5-4.6 is seen as normal, correct?

I guess it's good enough then. From all the reviews I've read, I think I'm going to love it.

Mapdroyd. The maps are completely offline so it works even with devices without GPS.

Threi

notag
My biggest problem with Android devices- the insane turnaround time for a new OS. Simply inexcusable.

Is Ice Cream Sandwich out yet?
http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/5/2846170/android-ice-cream-sandwich-delay-editorial

chart

Several months after release, ICS sits at around 1% marketshare. How much more will it get before Jellybean? It might still be in the single digits, which is insane. Developers basically cannot optimize or take real advantage of new OS features, as the spread will be so, so wide and always an insignificant percentage of users on the latest release, with most being 2+ major releases behind.

im going to throw my perfectly functional infuse out the window and buy a galaxy nexus to please you.

3 months later ill throw that out the window and get a gs3.

im going to throw my perfectly functional infuse out the window and buy a galaxy nexus to please you.

My point was this trend of OEMs released already outdated versions of android on new hardware when the newer version has been available for months is an unfortunate trend, and harms the progress of the OS. No need to be so sarcastic.

kehs

Banned
My point was this trend of OEMs released already outdated versions of android on new hardware when the newer version has been available for months is an unfortunate trend, and harms the progress of the OS. No need to be so sarcastic.

It's not a new trend. It's always been like that. Turns out, it does the opposite of harming progress of the OS.

zbeeb

ICS code was open sourced till December was it? With the amount of customisation OEMs put on the software, its a bit much to expect that phones should be coming out with the latest and greatest when its only been 3 months. This is after considering that these phones have been in development well before ICS was released/shown.

Not that I agree with like oem customisation, or the time it takes. But they have so much to consider before spitting out the latest software. I think it was Sony or Motorola who put out a really good article outlining the process of developing the software for phones.

FAKE EDIT: here it is

Pctx

Banned

One should not have to root, backup, flash and otherwise tinker with their phone to have the latest and greatest Android OS, that has been the problem since Day 1 of Android.

yogloo

The note sells very well in asia. I am not suprised it sold 2 million. I saw lots of people using the note in Hong Kong. Meanwhile, I've never ever seen anyone with a Nexus device in Asia. I really wonder why.

Samsung just said they've sold two million worldwide, I don't think Best Galaxy has sold that much, and it's on Verizon.

Samsung said that Best Galaxy has sold 1.7 million by the end of December, it's certainly added to that total since then. Remember that outside of the US you can get Best Galaxy in a GSM version, it's only Verizon-exclusive and CDMA/LTE in the US.

Cipherr

Can't really think of any use for that aside from games. Now they won't have to do that second install thing anymore.

There's also the change where your refund timer does not start to tick until the FULL APP has been downloaded now. I really like that, Ive never found myself screwed by it, but still a good change nonetheless.

One should not have to root, backup, flash and otherwise tinker with their phone to have the latest and greatest Android OS, that has been the problem since Day 1 of Android.

And if one doesn't want to buy a Nexus device, a new phone that ships with it, or wait on the carrier or manufacturer to ship the update, pr maybe all of the above, they will always have to. This is not a new trend, and its also not going to change. I guess some people are just very optimistic, but the more I look at the Android OS, and how it works with the hardware manufacturers and carriers, the more it becomes absolutely clear that day and date updates are NOT in the cards for this OS.

And so long as existing phones stay completely functional even without having the new OS revision on day 1, the give-a-damn meter of the public will never be high enough to see that this changes.

Mind Blown

Android 1.5: Cupcake
Android 1.6: Donut
Android 2.0/2.1: Eclair
Android 2.2: Frozen Yogurt
Android 2.3: Gingerbread
Android 3.0/3.1/3.2: Honeycomb
Android 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich
Android 5.0??: Jelly Bean*
Android 6.0??: Key Lime Pie**

*Name confirmed, version number unknown
**Unconfirmed leaked name, version number unknown

This progression implies that Android 1.0 (A) and 1.1 (B) also had confection-inspired code names but those names were never revealed.

thespot84

Mind Blown

Android 1.5: Cupcake
Android 1.6: Donut
Android 2.0/2.1: Eclair
Android 2.2: Frozen Yogurt
Android 2.3: Gingerbread
Android 3.0/3.1/3.2: Honeycomb
Android 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich
Android 5.0??: Jelly Bean*
Android 6.0??: Key Lime Pie**

*Name confirmed, version number unknown
**Unconfirmed leaked name, version number unknown

This progression implies that Android 1.0 (A) and 1.1 (B) also had confection-inspired code names but those names were never revealed.

eh i guess everyone has to figure shit out at one point or another. Took me a year to figure out where Flo Rida's name came from, that jackass

Swig_

Is there a way to multitask?

For example, if I have an iOS app running, I can hit the button, do something else, then double tap the button and bring my old app back in the state I left it.

Every time I have to back out of an Android app, it resets the app, like I started it for the first time.

thespot84

Is there a way to multitask?

For example, if I have an iOS app running, I can hit the button, do something else, then double tap the button and bring my old app back in the state I left it.

Every time I have to back out of an Android app, it resets the app, like I started it for the first time.

notsureifserious.gif

i guess the first step would be not back out of the app. if you want to do something else either hit 'home' and launch the other app (the one you're in will remain in the background) or hold 'home' (or hit the multitasking putton in ICS) and choose a recent app. Again the current app will stay.

I wasnt sure if you were serious because iphone's 'limited' multitasking functionality was designed in response to and based off of Android's.

notsureifserious.gif

i guess the first step would be not back out of the app. if you want to do something else either hit 'home' and launch the other app (the one you're in will remain in the background) or hold 'home' (or hit the multitasking putton in ICS) and choose a recent app. Again the current app will stay.

I wasnt sure if you were serious because iphone's 'limited' multitasking functionality was designed in response to and based off of Android's.

cmon mayne.

He's obviously not joking. He just doesn't know how to do it. This isn't xda, don't be rude.

Swig_

notsureifserious.gif

Well, I meant either by the home button or the back button.

That worked. I swear I had tried holding the home button before and it reset everything, but I just tested with a game and it worked. I don't use my Android very often, so I'm far from savvy with android and no one I've asked who uses Android has known, either. Thanks.

thespot84

cmon mayne.

He's obviously not joking. He just doesn't know how to do it. This isn't xda, don't be rude.

I'm not trying to be rude, i'm kind of incredulous, since I have seen apps actually 'close' in android in only very limited instances, and in almost every case the app asks "do you want to exit?" like in dolphin browser or something. Plus, the way the backstack works, most apps SHOULD remain in memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom