• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I installed a new app the other day, I forget which and holding down back pops up a question on whether to exit. Other apps only do that when hitting back from the main screen, or just close automatically.

But not a lot of people know of the distinction of hitting back vs. hitting home. I think the Iphone's 1 button helps with that, but given choices, people don't always understand them all.

kehs

Banned
I installed a new app the other day, I forget which and holding down back pops up a question on whether to exit. Other apps only do that when hitting back from the main screen, or just close automatically.

But not a lot of people know of the distinction of hitting back vs. hitting home. I think the Iphone's 1 button helps with that, but given choices, people don't always understand them all.

My file manager prompts for that. It's also a developer option you can turn on to do it for all apps.

gcubed

It's not a new trend. It's always been like that. Turns out, it does the opposite of harming progress of the OS.

meh, its a chicken or the egg thing. There are no apps until ICS releases its SDK and gives developers time to update, developers no longer want to update until ICS releases on a wider base.

Gingerbread had much more developer support near launch then ICS has. ICS is a joke for support at the moment. You can't get 3/4 of the video streaming apps on it, the other quarter don't support the disappearing menu bar. Except for Rdio audio streaming apps are a disaster on it. A lot of apps dont support 720p resolution. Its March.

SimleuqiR

meh, its a chicken or the egg thing. There are no apps until ICS releases its SDK and gives developers time to update, developers no longer want to update until ICS releases on a wider base.

Gingerbread had much more developer support near launch then ICS has. ICS is a joke for support at the moment. You can't get 3/4 of the video streaming apps on it, the other quarter don't support the disappearing menu bar. Except for Rdio audio streaming apps are a disaster on it. A lot of apps dont support 720p resolution. Its March MADNESSSSSS.

Fixed.

kehs

Banned

Gingerbread had much more developer support near launch then ICS has. ICS is a joke for support at the moment. You can't get 3/4 of the video streaming apps on it, the other quarter don't support the disappearing menu bar. Except for Rdio audio streaming apps are a disaster on it. A lot of apps dont support 720p resolution. Its March.

I think of it as a beta or dev preview type thing.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
the HTC One S and One X's screens were analyzed:

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_s_and_one_x_displays_detailed-news-3940.php

It turns out the HTC One X HD SLCD2 uses virtually identical matrix to the one found on the LG Optimus 4X HD. That's the same AH-IPS screen we loved so much on the LG Optimus LTE and it's hardly a surprise it led to some great results on the One X. The curious omission of the IPS technology from the One X official specs sheet was explained with trademark reasons.

As for the HTC One S - we got confirmation that its qHD Super AMOLED uses a PenTile RGBG matrix, instead of a conventional RGB matrix. This will probably lead to the familiar dottiness in some images, but it seems HTC has designed its interface cleverly enough to make that less apparent.

pretty neat

tino

Banned

Can you explain to me why do you want to run 4.0 instead 2.3? Besides the 4.0 browser, I don't see anything from 4.0 thats obvious better.

While the browser is good, I still prefer the MIUI browser.

Threi

notag
God I hate those pricks on XDA. Bunch of stuck-up posers who bitch and complain about any question asked, no matter how innocent.

Very much so. It is very annoying to ask for any type of help over there.

Even when you are trying to help others, they still trip over themselves trying to blurt out the snarkiest, most condescending reply they can think up. If it wasn't for the actual android resources and development at that site i would never visit it again.

yogloo

Can you explain to me why do you want to run 4.0 instead 2.3? Besides the 4.0 browser, I don't see anything from 4.0 thats obvious better.

Things that are already optimized for 4.0 are noticeably smoother. I think that's related to hardware acceleration being standard. That's about it though. And the software button for multitasking is great. It just feels like a more polished version android.

You should try out chrome browser on ICS. I find it way better than the stock browser.

tino

Banned
Things that are already optimized for 4.0 are noticeably smoother. I think that's related to hardware acceleration being standard. That's about it though. And the software button for multitasking is great. It just feels like a more polished version android.

You should try out chrome browser on ICS. I find it way better than the stock browser.
The ICS port of my phone has no hardware acceleration yet so I can't try chrome. But I agree with you ICS feels faster ( even though the benchmark scores are lower.)

There is no noticible feature upgrade though. Older Android upgrade added flash and app2sd, these were more substantial upgrades.

If anything, I wish google can make their core apps smaller (maps, music, etc) and allow me move them to the sd card.

Wow, since Google Play launched now "my Android apps" is showing a whole lot more apps, I see apps I don't have installed and had forgotten I had even installed them in the past. Man Google really needs to make a way to organize the app list, as well as stop saying I have apps installed that I currently don't.

gcubed

4.0 actually feels like an OS.

Besides the fact that its faster, smoother and has more features?

Wow, since Google Play launched now "my Android apps" is showing a whole lot more apps, I see apps I don't have installed and had forgotten I had even installed them in the past. Man Google really needs to make a way to organize the app list, as well as stop saying I have apps installed that I currently don't.
That sounds weird. My Apps list shows updates -> installed -> owned but currently not installed. Always has. Maybe you just didn't ever look past installed apps lol?

reKon

Banned
oh shit, thanks for this. Picked up Shadowgun gun, world of goo, and water's my water for less than a burger and fries off the dollar menu

reKon

Banned
World of Goo looks really nice on the Nexus screen. Have the game for steam, which I bought years ago for $5, but after beating the first world, I just stopped playing. Now I can play again more conveniently.

That sounds weird. My Apps list shows updates -> installed -> owned but currently not installed. Always has. Maybe you just didn't ever look past installed apps lol?

Well my Incredible is currently rooted running AOKP and I've gone through a couple of other rom's as well. Maybe that has something to do with it?

kehs

Banned
So Google was serious about flipping the switch on March 1st.

Let's just hope they merge talk, messenger, chat...

Kozmo

The note sells very well in asia. I am not suprised it sold 2 million. I saw lots of people using the note in Hong Kong. Meanwhile, I've never ever seen anyone with a Nexus device in Asia. I really wonder why.

GNex owner in HK here. I think it's all about the marketing here. It seems Samsung wants to push their own line of products over pure a google phone. The nexus campaign is almost non-existent, while the Note is such an attention-grabber.

Definitely not surprised about the sales figures.

Cudder

I love Google, but this Google Play business has fail written all over it. What's the intent on naming it Play? The Android Market could already do all of this over-the-web shit, why did they feel the need to re-brand the Market out of the blue like this?

I'm not quite sure I get it.

Also, the fact that they're doing this (and having a Market sale) when they just released 4.0.2 that BREAKS the fucking Market for a bunch of people is beyond idiotic.

Cmon Google.

Circle T

Might just be temporary, but I noticed that after today's recent "Play" Market website update, telling it to HIDE old devices seems to actually work. Previously, you would tell it to hide them, and 2 minutes later it would reset and start showing all devices again. Seems like it finally sticks when you hide things now.

Cake Boss

Banned
Hey guys a quick question here.

Is there a way I could tether my phone but not let it use my 3G connection? But instead the home wifi that is available? Basically I moved my computer to a room that cant catch the home wifi signal and I want to connect the PC to my phone which will use the home wifi instead of the 3G for tethering.

Basically using the phone as a repeater. Is it possible?

There's currently a deal going on uk gaffers, htc evo 3d for 207 pounds from asda! I am currently on a Samsung galaxy s, should I jump ship for the evo?

Doopliss

Hey guys a quick question here.

Is there a way I could tether my phone but not let it use my 3G connection? But instead the home wifi that is available? Basically I moved my computer to a room that cant catch the home wifi signal and I want to connect the PC to my phone which will use the home wifi instead of the 3G for tethering.

Basically using the phone as a repeater. Is it possible?
You can tether over USB, just disable the 3g data and it'll use the wifi.

Doopliss

Which app do you reccomond and btw I didnt root it yet. And connect the phone to the PC through USB?
It's been built into Android since Froyo, should be somewhere in the wireless connection settings (yeah, you're connecting the phone to the PC with a USB cable).

Cake Boss

Banned
Ahh fucking A thats awesome and exacrly what I was looking for.

Thank you.

My first Android phone and this thing is a life saver.so baller.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Does anyone know where I could find the apk, of the team coco app? I have only been able to find the phone version of the app. It's for my kindle fire.

gcubed

Does anyone know where I could find the apk, of the team coco app? I have only been able to find the phone version of the app. It's for my kindle fire.

Requires a tablet version of android, cant run the tablet version on the Kindle Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom