• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Hmmm...

I have a Galaxy Nexus
I also have an Archos G9 80

The Galaxy Nexus is supposedly the flagship of the Android platform, designed to showcase the OS's latest features as well as sporting some cutting edge hardware.
The G9 80 is a budget 8" tablet that is 84% plastic. Plastic that was from recycled store brand cola bottles. It's also French.

The Galaxy Nexus is running 4.0.2
The Archos G9 is running 4.0.3

Seriously Google, wtf is going on with the Galaxy Nexus updates?

The Android team read this thread and will be totally burned by this comment........right?

They're too busy defending Twitter's lack of tablet layout on G+ to work on Android.

leadbelly

Banned
yup, the sensation and sensation XE in europe got released today

Just realised I can't use it though. I rooted the phone. :/

It still has the stock rom on, it's just that I rooted it so I could unlock the sim for free.

The current version on XDA is 3.32.401.5. Just want to find out if that is the same version.

Ashhong

Just realised I can't use it though. I rooted the phone. :/

It still has the stock rom on, it's just that I rooted it so I could unlock the sim for free.

The current version on XDA is 3.32.401.5. Just want to find out if that is the same version.

Why not install a custom ICS rom on it then?

kehs

Banned
A little bit down the thread. https://plus.google.com/105051985738280261832/posts/X4RM2UeB4uc

Dianne Hackborn - +Mitchell Eve It's not like one couldn't pick some iOS apps that don't support large screens and show them. Not to say Android isn't behind in this area, but there is a whole lot of marketing going on in that.

I could also take an iOS vs. Android app that doesn't have a large screen layout on either side and compare them. Android would probably be ahead. :) In Android at least we can relayout the UI so that you get more rows in a list and such. In iOS you get the exact phone UI, but either in a postage stamp on the screen or blown up so that everything including text is larger.

Why bother defending it where no-one read it?

You should see the jelly seething from all the android lovers on G+ after the ipad announcement. It's pretty entertaining.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
They're too busy defending Twitter's lack of tablet layout on G+ to work on Android.

Actually the people that want that layout should look at the twitter client we got on google tv which is pure shit. I'm sure it's a "tablet" layout but it's pretty much useless. You can read tweets but that's it. No pictures..no trends, no DMs...just tweets...and no you can't get rid of it.

SimleuqiR

A little bit down the thread. https://plus.google.com/105051985738...ts/X4RM2UeB4uc

You should see the jelly seething from all the android lovers on G+ after the ipad announcement. It's pretty entertaining.

This is why competition is good, that's the right reaction, and they are bitching at the right people on the proper social network.

You gotta hit Google's ego where it hurts. I would have + all the top level people just for shits and giggles.

kehs

Banned
Actually the people that want that layout should look at the twitter client we got on google tv which is pure shit. I'm sure it's a "tablet" layout but it's pretty much useless. You can read tweets but that's it. No pictures..no trends, no DMs...just tweets...and no you can't get rid of it.

Well, the tablet and google tv layouts can be separate, but yea some Google TV layouts are crap (youtube, though they fixed it a bit recently).

This is why competition is good, that's the right reaction, and they are bitching at the right people on the proper social network.

You gotta hit Google's ego where it hurts. I would have + all the top level people just for shits and giggles.

I was going to, but I realized how offtopic the discussion was. haha.

Some dude over at XDA unpacked the Archos ICS update and found the funny:

"I herd you like updates so we put an update in yo update so you can update while u update" g.revaillot (Archos)

Not only do Archos have time to update their tables to 4.0.3, they also have time to make funny while they do it! Ok it's a worn out old meme, but still.

Meanwhile, on Google+..... bittertears.jpg

I love you really Google and Android Team

giga

Dianne Hackborn - +Mitchell Eve It's not like one couldn't pick some iOS apps that don't support large screens and show them. Not to say Android isn't behind in this area, but there is a whole lot of marketing going on in that.

I could also take an iOS vs. Android app that doesn't have a large screen layout on either side and compare them. Android would probably be ahead. :) In Android at least we can relayout the UI so that you get more rows in a list and such. In iOS you get the exact phone UI, but either in a postage stamp on the screen or blown up so that everything including text is larger.
The problem, Hackborn, is that there aren't many high quality apps that are designed around the tablet interface. I agree that reflowing phone apps is better than iOS' method of scaling a static layout, but it kind of misses the main point. Both are less than average user experiences. It should be about getting apps specifically designed for tablets, not who can provide the best stop gap solution.

Cross posting from another forum because maybe someone here knows the answer and to give more people a heads up on the deal:

I'm trying to buy a book but when I go to purchase it's telling me my credit card is not supported. It's the same credit card I use to buy all my books and apps from the market and I just checked with a few other apps and books and there does not appear to be a problem. Anyone have a clue what the issue could be?

On a related note, Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain is on sale for 25 cents if anyone else is interested. I've always heard very good things about this book. Would really like to be able to snap it up for this cheap.

Cross posting from another forum because maybe someone here knows the answer and to give more people a heads up on the deal:

I'm trying to buy a book but when I go to purchase it's telling me my credit card is not supported. It's the same credit card I use to buy all my books and apps from the market and I just checked with a few other apps and books and there does not appear to be a problem. Anyone have a clue what the issue could be?

On a related note, Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain is on sale for 25 cents if anyone else is interested. I've always heard very good things about this book. Would really like to be able to snap it up for this cheap.
Read that book about ten years ago and remember really enjoying it.

Hmmm...

I have a Galaxy Nexus
I also have an Archos G9 80

The Galaxy Nexus is supposedly the flagship of the Android platform, designed to showcase the OS's latest features as well as sporting some cutting edge hardware.
The G9 80 is a budget 8" tablet that is 84% plastic. Plastic that was from recycled store brand cola bottles. It's also French.

The Galaxy Nexus is running 4.0.2
The Archos G9 is running 4.0.3

Seriously Google, wtf is going on with the Galaxy Nexus updates?

The Android team read this thread and will be totally burned by this comment........right?

Google always said that they are not putting 4.0.3 on the Galaxy Nexus and that 4.0.3 was essentially 4.0.2 but for OEMs and AOSP.

There are some slight differences, but the toro gets 4.0.4 and the maguro gets 4.0.5.

Why are android fans being jelly? The only thing really interesting about the ipad 3 is that it's going to have a much more power GPU than any android tablet for at least the next 5-6 months. But there's no reason to be jelly over that at the moment because there are no games on android or announced to come out in the immediate future that will take advantage of anything more powerful than the Tegra 3.

ink4n3

I've got a question regarding neogaf spoiler tags on the stock ics browser and dolphin hd. How do I reveal spoiler text? I can select it but it doesn't reveal what's underneath. This is on both my galaxy nexus and transformer prime. Ideas?

gcubed

I've got a question regarding neogaf spoiler tags on the stock ics browser and dolphin hd. How do I reveal spoiler text? I can select it but it doesn't reveal what's underneath. This is on both my galaxy nexus and transformer prime. Ideas?

Use gaf mobile. That's the only way I know

Doopliss

If you have to use the full site the easiest way is to highlight the text then do the 'find on page' option.

GSII (international) to get ICS in 2 DAYS

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/08/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-ics/

glad I kept mine
I wonder if it'll have the ICS spelling correction, which was missing from the leaked builds. Not sure if that's a patent issue or they just hadn't implemented it yet. If not I'll probably stick with CM9 and hope that released sources help get some of the issues fixed.

zbeeb

You can long press to highlight in chrome, but it doesn't work with stocked browser

kehs

Banned
Why are android fans being jelly? The only thing really interesting about the ipad 3 is that it's going to have a much more power GPU than any android tablet for at least the next 5-6 months. But there's no reason to be jelly over that at the moment because there are no games on android or announced to come out in the immediate future that will take advantage of anything more powerful than the Tegra 3.

It's just funny seeing the conversations keep drilling down to core counts, when it's pretty much known that even with all of nvidias ninja core it's still a lackluster chipset, TI, Qualcomm, etc. I think only Samsung has a chance to make something worthwhile, but that won't be till years end. There was a glimpse of Android tablets having the upper hand with the screens but not now .Maybe if Samsung pulls out a Refrigerator approved resolution SAMOLED HD + screen.

I don't see screen/chip/battery combo getting matched by any oem out there.

Google, Asus to hook up on 7-inch Android tablet, says report

Yet another report is claiming an imminent 7-inch Google tablet. And add Asus to the mix as they will make and co-brand the device.

Google and Asus will unveil a 7-inch co-branded tablet PC as early as May, said DigiTimes in a report dated March 9.

NPD DisplaySearch analyst Richard Shim told CNET last month that the tablet will have a 1280x800 resolution 7-inch display and production is slated for April. The initial production run is between 1.5 million to 2 million units, Shim said.

And another report earlier this month said at least one model will retail for $199, run stock Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, and use a quad-core Tegra 3 processor from Nvidia.

The last part is interesting because at CES Asus announced the 7-inch Eee Pad MeMO 370T, which is slated to sell for only $250. That also uses the Tegra 3 processor.

On paper, this would be a step up from the $199 Amazon Kindle Fire, which, by comparison, has a 1024x600 display, runs Android 2.3, and uses a Texas Instruments dual-core OMAP 4430 chip .

So, is the Memo 370T transforms into the Nexus Tablet?

leadbelly

Banned
Why not install a custom ICS rom on it then?

Well, that's exactly what I have done. I got the phone in January and was undecided at the time whether I was going to keep it. At first I thought about selling it and getting a Galaxy Nexus, and then decided to wait until after Mobile Congress. I kept stock on it for that reason, but I had to root it anyway to unlock the sim.

I don't like how big these new phones are so I'm going to keep this phone for a bit and see what else comes out. I have Revolution 6.5.0 on it now. Only thing is there isn't an XE version yet of that particular rom, but it is only the beats audio software that is missing.

The Phone actually plays GTA III on high settings without fps drops now.

leadbelly

Banned
I'm pretty sure I've seen the beats audio app on xda

Yeah possibly. What I mean is, ARHD custom rom usually has two versions for sensation: the normal version and XE. The current rom doesn't have the XE version yet. I just went with the normal rom anyway as all it really means is it is without Beats Audio.

So I installed AOKP Milestone 4 yesterday on my GSM Galaxy Nexus

Fantastic ROM, I love it, everything works great.

Woke up this morning... "No SIM card"

Reboot phone, swap SIMs, check to see if my sim works in another phone

"No SIM card"

Recover backup to stock 4.0.2

"No SIM card"

Wipe cache, re-flash radio

"No SIM card"

Well this really fucking sucks.

My radio can't be completely fucked beyond repair, can it? It's still connecting to the "emergency service" network and shows a strong signal.

Angst

So I installed AOKP Milestone 4 yesterday on my GSM Galaxy Nexus

Fantastic ROM, I love it, everything works great.

Woke up this morning... "No SIM card"

Reboot phone, swap SIMs, check to see if my sim works in another phone

"No SIM card"

Recover backup to stock 4.0.2

"No SIM card"

Wipe cache, re-flash radio

"No SIM card"

Well this really fucking sucks.

My radio can't be completely fucked beyond repair, can it? It's still connecting to the "emergency service" network and shows a strong signal.
Try reflashing the ROM and Radio. I'd suggest a full wipe followed by reflash if the problem's still there after first flash.

gcubed

Asus better not fuck up the skip the sd card slot in their Nexus tablet.

i wouldn't imagine they would. If they are trying to save money that means its going to be an 8gb tablet (for $199). It would be a massive fail if they dont have an SD Card

I flashed the google factory image over fastboot with the galaxy nexus toolkit and now it's no longer saying "No SIM card", but it just doesn't connect to my network now.

So good news I think.

I put in another SIM card and just left it for a few minutes and it actually connected and I was able to make calls.

Guess my SIM card died. Going to head to the mall for a replacement.

kehs

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom