• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm still trying to figure out what performance user even means.

Will the 4s get us to neogaf faster than the prime? Will this super gpu bring widget support? Howabout system modularity? Improve the navigation system? Increase the screen size? Add a keyboard? Oh oh wait, I got it, it will bring "performance user" framerates to infinity blade!

nib95

Banned
Jtwo said:
nibs, I say this as a friend: You're trippin' holmes.
Its gonna be fine. Maybe it won't be number1 in all the benchmarks.. but its going to be fine.

Ok fair enough. I know I am overreacting (lol) because I want the switch to Android and fancy something new and fresh. But if I'm honest, I'm just not sure I can at the expense of battery, camera AND gaming. A bigger higher resolution screen just ins't enough. I know there's the operating systems war, but to me, they all roughly do the same thing anyway. Both my parents have the Galaxy S2. I'd say that whilst the S2 certainly has a more attractive and modern looking UI (love the widgets system), it's perhaps a touch slower at times than the iPhone 4 in general use.

I have no allegiance to any of the manufacturers or companies, if anything, I'm down on Apple a lot of the time due to their upgrade ethics. I guess that's partly why I'm down on Google right now.

For me, money's no object, I just want the best I can get. Feel like since I bought the 4 (on release) nothing else has really come out to blow it away, and that in itself is disappointing.

kinggroin said:

Will the 4s get us to neogaf faster than the prime? Will this super gpu bring widget support? Howabout system modularity? Improve the navigation system? Increase the screen size? Add a keyboard? Oh oh wait, I got it, it will bring "performance user" framerates to infinity blade!

For me the term refers to someone who wants the very fastest performance in everything. Application speed, loading, performance, calculations, browsing speed, functionality etc. Everything from opening and browsing galleries, watching video's, browsing the net, going through MP3 libraries, texting, Instant messaging and so forth. The idea is you never want to see even a split seconds pause, and everything should run seamlessly with complete fluidity.

iPhone does well on most of that. Where it flounders most for me is signal quality (eurgh, hoping 4S has sorted this) and Google Maps integration (holy crap have I had bad experiences. It's like my body's magnetic field impairs GPS signals or something).

zedge

Socreges said:
Direct me, kind sir. For I'm quite sure you're wrong.

Nothing on Rogers' website, nor Telus'. The Bell model was just released a few days ago.
Huh? I got my Bell GS2 in Aug.. lay off the crack. ;)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
kinggroin said:

It will give piece of mind to those that can't find it within.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
nib95 said:
Ok fair enough. I know I am overreacting (lol) because I want the switch to Android and fancy something new and fresh. But if I'm honest, I'm just not sure I can at the expense of battery, camera AND gaming. A bigger higher resolution screen just ins't enough. I know there's the operating systems war, but to me, they all roughly do the same thing anyway. Both my parents have the Galaxy S2. I'd say that whilst the S2 certainly has a more attractive and modern looking UI (love the widgets system), it's perhaps a touch slower at times than the iPhone 4 in general use.

I have no allegiance to any of the manufacturers or companies, if anything, I'm down on Apple a lot of the time due to their upgrade ethics. I guess that's partly why I'm down on Google right now.

For me, money's no object, I just want the best I can get. Feel like since I bought the 4 (on release) nothing else has really come out to blow it away, and that in itself is disappointing.
You want the best of both worlds. Know what? Same here! Android is not without its faults, see my reputation for being a whiny bitch all the time as proof of that. You have an iPhone4. You already have one of the nicest phones money can buy, even if its last years model. Wait until next year! Don't buy a new phone just to have something new. And certainly don't CUHRAZY over completely, completely meaningless benchmarks before the device in question is even announced.

I mean, do what you want. I just think that its a little early to deem the Prime "below par" performance wise. SHIT man, look at the improved performance of the ICS apps on 2 year old hardware.

kinggroin

Banned
nib95 said:

For me the term refers to someone who wants the very fastest performance in everything. Application speed, loading, performance, calculations, browsing speed, functionality etc. Everything from opening and browsing galleries, watching video's, browsing the net, going through MP3 libraries, texting, Instant messaging and so forth. The idea is you never want to see even a split seconds pause, and everything should run seamlessly with complete fluidity.

iPhone does well on most of that. Where it flounders most for me is signal quality (eurgh, hoping 4S has sorted this) and Google Maps integration (holy crap have I had bad experiences. It's like my body's magnetic field impairs GPS signals or something).

Well look. Lets forget about the iPhone 4s for a second. The iPhone you currently have, already does that stuff sickeningly fast as is. Its hardware is also far below top end android hardware, yet these super phones still can't match that level of responsiveness. Its why folks are saying not to put much stock into these benchmarks at the moment (look at how far down the iPhone 4 is!). If you have ANY interest in android, just trust that the rumoured specs of the nexus, are MORE than fine to bring us "performance user" performance.

What you need to watch is how well Google has developed ICS to leverage this hardware and give you that same ios lightning fast experienced and smoothness, but with all the functional benefits of android.

Hope that makes sense.

gcubed

and if you were looking at switching but didnt want to give up gaming you came to the wrong OS because it will never be as good as the iphone.

Browsing/java script performance, etc will be faster on Android. As far as opening things smoothly, etc that is expected to be fixed with ICS and full GPU acceleration which android has never had (which causes the hiccups, slowdowns, etc)

nib95

Banned
kinggroin said:
Well look. Lets forget about the iPhone 4s for a second. The iPhone you currently have, already does that stuff sickeningly fast as is. Its hardware is also far below top end android hardware, yet these super phones still can't match that level of responsiveness. Its why folks are saying not to put much stock into these benchmarks at the moment (look at how far down the iPhone 4 is!). If you have ANY interest in android, just trust that the rumoured specs of the nexus, are MORE than fine to bring us "performance user" performance.

What you need to watch is how well Google has developed ICS to leverage this hardware and give you that same ios lightning fast experienced and smoothness, but with all the functional benefits of android.

Hope that makes sense.

It does. Ultimately software refinement and optimisation is more important than hardware advancements correct? Which is obviously true, I just would have preferred sizeable advancements in both. In any case, I'll wait for real world testing and reviews before jumping the gun.

Still sad reading the above comments on gaming though :(

SimleuqiR

kinggroin said:

If their leaked Music App and G+ App (from the Nexus Prime) are anything to go by I would say even the Nexus One running ICS is going to fly!!!

andycapps

tfur said:
Whoa whoa, slow down here. We already had the debate of why the 3.5 inch iphone screen is the only acceptable size your thumb can use. New thumb slide graphics would have to be made to support that 3.7 you are suggesting...

My bad, 3.5, not 3.7. Tiny either way.

Hardware acceleration seems to be the main reason that iOS "feels" faster than Android. That's finally coming in ICS, correct?

kinggroin

Banned
nib95 said:
It does. Ultimately software refinement and optimisation is more important than hardware advancements correct? Which is obviously true, I just would have preferred sizeable advancements in both. In any case, I'll wait for real world testing and reviews before jumping the gun.

Still sad reading the above comments on gaming though :(

Yeah well, for the forseable future, he's right. Its a totally different ecosystem that's more about delivering relevant content to users in the best possible way, per user (its why modularity and customization play a huge role). Also, the best Google experience if you're deeply tied into their services.

As far as mobile devices go, gaming isn't bad on android, but its pretty far behind ios regardless.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Obviously I'm in the minority, but I just have absolutely no interest in playing games on my cellphone. Sure, things like superbros and EDGE make me a tiny bit jealous when I see them on my friend's phone. But I'd never actually play them with any consistency. But, I'm the asshole who brings his DS on a date to the movie theater soo....

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
Obviously I'm in the minority, but I just have absolutely no interest in playing games on my cellphone. Sure, things like superbros and EDGE make me a tiny bit jealous when I see them on my friend's phone. But I'd never actually play them with any consistency. But, I'm the asshole who brings his DS on a date to the movie theater soo....

Tetris bro, it's on the market.

Shits gonna fly on my Prime. I'm salivating just thinking about it.

JCX

Two dumb questions about Google voice. I have sprint. Is there a way to save voicemails before I set it up? Also I can receive calls over wifi, right?

andycapps

Copernicus said:
Tetris bro, it's on the market.

Shits gonna fly on my Prime. I'm salivating just thinking about it.

Haha!

Gaming is not something I spend a lot of time doing, but I do have a lot of the big games on the market. Jelly Defense, Fieldrunners, PvZ, etc are pretty good for some time killers occasionally.

gcubed

AstroLad said:
All the kairosoft and most of the gamevil stuff is quite good too.

yes, its not to say there isn't gaming, and for most of the stuff i use mobile for (quick games, puzzlers, etc) it has plenty, just don't expect IOS level support if you are switching over.

kehs

Banned
JCX said:
Two dumb questions about Google voice. I have sprint. Is there a way to save voicemails before I set it up? Also I can receive calls over wifi, right?

Voice doesn't do VOIP unfortunately.

JaseMath

Jtwo said:
I'm the same way. I don't think I'll ever take smartphone gaming seriously unless some really big players starting pushing IPs onto the market.

JCX

Just tried the translate thing. It's awesome! I probably use voice commands more than most. I think they're convenient while driving.

Is that one instant text translation app for iOS out for android yet? I forgot its name.

andycapps

gcubed said:
yes, its not to say there isn't gaming, and for most of the stuff i use mobile for (quick games, puzzlers, etc) it has plenty, just don't expect IOS level support if you are switching over.

It's improved quite a bit in the last year. Someone posted a list a while back in some iOS vs Android thread and showed that we have about 75% of the top sellers on iOS. So while it's not exactly the same, vastly improved to a year or so ago. I don't see it getting any worse either.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I still feel badass when I use market.android.com its the best thing ever.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I have nothing to do so maybe I'll make a video of me trying to fool google translate.

Cipherr

What games are everyone playing that they cant max out on current phone hardware? Im getting such a Metro 2033 vibe from everyone freaking about graphical performance, but I personally only know of a handful of games that cannot currently be maxed on phone hardware, 2 of which are just tech demos atm and arent even due out until sometime next year.

Luckyman

Banned
If ICS solution to removing hw keys is to just add them on screen it´s a big fail

Come up with something like Nokia Swipe or go home

Luckyman said:
If ICS solution to going without hw keys is to just add them on screen it´s a big fail

Really? You came in to post this? Please explain why software keys are such a fail given that they work fine within Honeycomb, maximise potential screen space for media and allow for context sensitive actions far better than hardware keys.

Luckyman said:
If ICS solution to removing hw keys is to just add them on screen it´s a big fail

Actually, I'm so sick and tired of hardware manufacturers rearranging the capacitive buttons on current Android phones. Even Samsung can't keep their phones consistent. The back button does not belong in the middle! Ugh.

With ICS, that problem is gone, and the buttons can actually become contextual, which is very, very nice (see Honeycomb).

kehs

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Actually, I'm so sick and tired of hardware manufacturers rearranging the capacitive buttons on current Android phones. The back button does not belong in the middle. Ugh.

With ICS, that problem is gone, and the buttons can actually become contextual.

I'm guessing the final layout will be :

Back | Home | Recent | Force Close

thespot84

Jtwo said:
I don't understand what swipe is supposed to be from this video, but it has some sick jungle beats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfE3B6L-Otw

love how they dont' show text input. Apparently it reads minds.

How is this better than honeycomb/soft buttons? There's a button on honeycomb that shows me all my open apps in a screen overlay, there's one that takes me to my launcher, one that goes back, and
OMG!
notifications. Problem solved. fancy video but i'm none too impressed.

I still can't understand how other companies are so earth-shatteringly bad at notifications.

Edit:
Copernicus said:
I'm guessing the final layout will be :

Back | Home | Recent | Force Close
you should have a twitter feed, or maybe even google+. I'd follow you.

kehs

Banned
thespot84 said:
love how they dont' show text input. Apparently it reads minds.

How is this better than honeycomb/soft buttons? There's a button on honeycomb that shows me all my open apps in a screen overlay, there's one that takes me to my launcher, one that goes back, and
OMG!
notifications. Problem solved. fancy video but i'm none too impressed.

I still can't understand how other companies are so earth-shatteringly bad at notifications.

Edit:
you should have a twitter feed, or maybe even google+. I'd follow you.

I'm starting to think a weak notification system is a better alternative to this.

I have a G+ account, but I don't really post too much to it, check your pm.

gcubed

JCX said:
Sometimes an app freezes, and I like to be able to press a solid home button to get out, rather than rebooting the whole thing.

oh, well if you can't press the home button on your tablet then its usually locked the whole system. Same thing happens on my N1 if the entire system locks, capacitive buttons dont work

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/13/samsung-confirms-ice-cream-sandwich-event-on-october-19/

u2hwx.jpg

October 19th is the new date for Prime + ICS.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Woooooohooooo! I knew it wouldn't be too long! *ar guitar*
augmented reality guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom