• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but it provides an e-reader and good content.

You still can't access the regular Android Market Google Play with Kindle Fire. The Amazon App Store is hilariously terrible by comparison.

Any Android tablet can use the Kindle app though, so you don't need a Kindle Fire to read Kindle books.

anyone else have a problem with the daylight savings time shit?

My phone is set to automatically pull time and date settings from verizon, and it thinks daylight savings time is tonight. The time, date, and time zone are all correct right now, but my alarm is pushed an hour ahead to 3:45 am instead of 2:45.

I have to tell my phone that it's already monday just so it will wake me up in the morning. I'm really starting to hate this OS. Just another annoyance on a growing list.

Both my Best Galaxy and Touchpad automatically rolled the clock forward correctly, at 2 am on Sunday. So I'm thinking it's not Android's fault here.

Ashhong

My phone is set to automatically pull time and date settings from verizon, and it thinks daylight savings time is tonight. The time, date, and time zone are all correct right now, but my alarm is pushed an hour ahead to 3:45 am instead of 2:45.

I have to tell my phone that it's already monday just so it will wake me up in the morning. I'm really starting to hate this OS. Just another annoyance on a growing list.

I don't understand why your alarm is pushed ahead? The time is already correct...how do you know the phone thinks DST is tomorrow?

pgtl_10

You still can't access the regular Android Market Google Play with Kindle Fire. The Amazon App Store is hilariously terrible by comparison.

Any Android tablet can use the Kindle app though, so you don't need a Kindle Fire to read Kindle books.

In that case I'll wait. are there any other e-readers that are good?

Cipherr

Never heard of what you are describing. Mine moved properly.

Kagami

EzPDF, Perfect Viewer.
EzPDF is good.
Perfect Viewer's PDF plugin, unless it's changed, seemed to be rendering PDFs at lower resolution and then scaling them up the screen, giving it a uniquely blurry look that other PDF readers don't have (at least on higher res phones).

tino

Banned
EzPDF is good.
Perfect Viewer's PDF plugin, unless it's changed, seemed to be rendering PDFs at lower resolution and then scaling them up the screen, giving it a uniquely blurry look that other PDF readers don't have (at least on higher res phones).
Make sure you change the image smoothing filters to bottom ones.

Kagami

I checked EzPDF and Perfect Viewer again just now, and they appear 100% identical, so whatever it was that I experienced before seems to be gone.

gcubed

I would think that if it were an android problem we'd have heard about it since the media loves a good DST issue.

Edit... it seemingly was a Verizon bug which affected the providers phones not Android.

vUsFU.png

Shawsie64

Banned
So my wife's niece asked her to get her an Android tablet with Ice Cream Sandwich on it.. Im so out of the loop with Tablets its not funny.. Do these exist? Whats a decent one if so? Thanks for the help.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So my wife's niece asked her to get her an Android tablet with Ice Cream Sandwich on it.. Im so out of the loop with Tablets its not funny.. Do these exist? Whats a decent one if so? Thanks for the help.

What size does she want?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
She didn't mention size though id imagine she doesn't need anything too big..

If she's okay with a 7inch one, you should wait for google to unveil theirs in the next two monthsish? It's supposed to be pretty powerful and cheap.

Shawsie64

Banned
Who knows what she plans to do with it haha, she specifically requested Android with 4.0 so I assume she knows what she wants to do with it..

Cheers Divvy, I might wait for that..

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7

Or if shes impatient ill look into it this.

Thanks for your help guys

Ashhong

Hmmmm just found this on XDA for "free data" for Tmobile users.

APN: wap.voicestream.com
Username: TMobile.com 0000000000 (use your phone # in place of 0000000000)
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
APN type: Internet+MMS

I have no data plan on my phone, and usually keep the data off. When I normally turn it on and try to access data, it takes me to a tmobile web2go page or something. Used these APNs and it works! I don't know if they'll charge me later on though..

Ripclawe

Banned
any good site where you see prices on used phones? Ebay is all over the place and just need a bit of a guide on what are reasonable prices.

tino

Banned

I have no data plan on my phone, and usually keep the data off. When I normally turn it on and try to access data, it takes me to a tmobile web2go page or something. Used these APNs and it works! I don't know if they'll charge me later on though..

Doesn't work. You got a xda link? You are missing APN name and user password on this info.

Let me get this straight, user name is "TMobile.com 0000000000" and password blank?

Or user name is "TMobile.com" and password is the phone number?

malyce

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

That means real ICS roms for my ATT GS2 should start rolling out. Finally

Got one of these like 3 days ago, and was kind of sad I had to go back to gingerbread coming from a Nexus S, but it seems my timing was great... BEST GALAXY INDEED!

edit:

What is your monthly bill like?

Ashhong

There are a few ICS roms based off of the international GS2 that are fully functional for the most part. There is also the ICScrewd ROM that looks kinda like ICS, and works nicely. The release of ICS for the international GS2 doesn't necessarily mean ICS roms for us. It was the theoretical missing link. Crossing my fingers that it will come.

My brother currently pays the phone bill so I'm not sure.

We have 1500 minutes, unlimited nights, unlimited text, shared by 4 phones for a total of 100$ a month after fees. No data whatsoever. So I'm really hoping this APN trick works and doesnt charge us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom