• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Holy shit, this app Slice is scary. It imports my purchase history from gmail for me.

I have close to 100 purchases and more than 9k spent (just for my gmail accunt, I was using a yahoo email address.)

Was it easy to install?? im still with stock 4.0.2. and it has some shame lag in the UI animations etc...does that one fix it?

I'd mostly recommend installing AOKP for all the extra it has, I really like the toggles and weather widget which are inside the notification tray, and I dig being able to turn off the on-screen navigation bar buttons in order to be able to do things like fullscreen games. I never had much lag issues with 4.0.2, but it seems like AOKP milestone 4 is ever-so-slightly faster. Definitely no complaints here so far (other than an a coincidental death of my SIM card). If you've already unlocked your bootloader, the process is really simple, if not be aware that you lose everything on your phone when you unlock it.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
So - I installed NOVA 2 form the sale on my CM9 Touchpad, but when I go to run it, it borks and to get a refund. Is there a way to fix this - sorry I'm a little behind when it comes to the custom roms.

rpmurphy

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aide.ui

IT HAS BEGUN

AIDE is an integrated development environment (IDE) for developing real Android Apps directly on Android devices. AIDE supports the full edit-compile-run cycle: write code with the feature rich editor offering advanced features like code completion, real-time error checking, refactoring and smart code navigation, and run your App with a single click. AIDE will turn your Android tablet with keyboard into a real development box. We use the Transformer Prime running Ice Cream Sandwich to code with AIDE. AIDE will turn your Android Phone into a small development computer to browse and touch your code on the go.

AIDE is fully compatible with Eclipse projects. Just copy the sourcecode to your device, open any source file in AIDE to load the project and start coding.

rpmurphy

I've been reading a lot about this for the past day or two. Really eager to try it out, but still waiting for tablet prices to come down.
It's not anywhere being a replacement for development on a PC nor is it that good of a companion yet for serious Android development (at the least it needs debug environment and support for source control methods), but it is a very good start and has some solid features for some alternative, light development.

However, I think that the absolute best thing about this app that blows away other dev environments is that it is a great beginner's tool to jump into Android development that minimizes the amount of dev environment setup tedium to an absolute minimum. After downloading, installing, and opening the app, a quick creation of a new project and some copy-paste action of hello world program code from the browser, hit Run/Run Clean Build rom the menu and voilà, you can install and run your very first Android hello world app, all of which takes like 5-10 minutes. I highly recommend it for that reason alone.

So now that I've got AOKP all up and running all fancy-like, I installed the franco kernel and undervolted my CPU some and shut off the second cpu core while the screen is off. So far with very light usage my battery has been dropping 1% per hour.

Not too shabby.

Also, I ordered the GSM Galaxy Nexus 2000mAh extended battery from korea for $40, which will hopefully extend my battery life even more.

Ashhong

I don't know if it applies to anybody here, but the Nexus S is free with contract extension from Best Buy for T-mobile. It was 100$ with extension like a week ago.

wario

the sony mobile communications rep at gdc told me the xperia s will be $499 when it releases for the US. the xperia p will be in the $300 range.

gimmmick

How fast is LTE in America? Just wondering.

This is what I average every at any time of the day on the strip or where I'm at in Vegas.

139810261.png

Verizon on my droid bionic.

I don't know if it applies to anybody here, but the Nexus S is free with contract extension from Best Buy for T-mobile. It was 100$ with extension like a week ago.
What really? I've been rocking my nexus one for a year now. If this is true, I need to check when my upgrade is due.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Has anyone got the One X ordered? Thing is the current beast (and a very sexy beast) but I just heard it might get delayed? I want this thing now :/

kehs

Banned
Why doesn't the browser do full screen video for html5 video? I'm started to get tired of all the little things not working on this crap with on screen keys .

Does anybody here know how hard it is to make a custom rom?

I mean is it actually hard?

On my xda subforum two devs are under 18 and one works at mcdonalds.

I tried the 49 cents Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation and other than it being a blatant mashup of Call of Duty and Homefront (like all Gameloft games, it's a copy of a big-name console franchise game), it actually was a pretty decent shooter and it ran great on my Tuna.

^I guess so.

Also so I just did a wifi hotspot for the first time. It worked but I don't have a tethering/wifi sharing plan? What does that mean? I'm on tmobile btw.

Yes my phone is rooted but I did not use any special app. I was under the impression that you needed to d/l a special app for free wifi sharing/tethering. Is that not the case?

JonnyBrad

Does anybody here know how hard it is to make a custom rom?

I mean is it actually hard?

On my xda subforum two devs are under 18 and one works at mcdonalds.

A lot of roms on xda are just replacing graphics and editing build.prop. Along with kanging fixes from other peoples roms. That's not hard at all.

The real geniuses are people who tweak kernels/build asop roms from scratch.

gcubed

Not a big fan of GS2's design, dunno how much better 3 will be and One X already looks gorgeous to me. Besides I don't see it being any better specswise either

The S3 will most definitely be better spec-wise but at some point the differences dont really matter too much

kehs

Banned
Consumers hoping to get their hands on a new Android phone powered by a Qualcomm S4 SoC (system on a chip) this spring may have to wait a few extra weeks. Reports are coming in that TSMC, the manufacturer of Qualcomm’s Snapdragon S4 chip, abruptly stopped production of all their 28nm chips three weeks ago to make changes to the production process.

Qualcomm'ed.

It was a passing comment on the engadget mobile podcast, but I just wanted to confirm with you guys. Does Att lte really get to 75mbs down?
in theory yes, in practice you'll rarely ever reach the advertised speeds, especially the more and more people use it. Might be possible now as it's still early. Still doubt it.

gcubed

This is in the US version of HTC One X? LOL qualcomm'd indeed.

S4 is a nice chip, i'm anxious to see what kind of battery life the One X gets with the die shrink. I still think we are too early for LTE power savings, something probably end of this year for it to become feasible.

I'd like to see more Android phone makers go the Moto route with the Razr Maxx. I'm ok with a non removable battery if you give me a >3000mah battery in it.

Some welcome changes going from stock 4.0.2 on my tuna to AOKP Milestone 4 with franco kernel milestone 1

- Shadowgun seems to run at double the framerate. Before it was so choppy it was almost unplayable, now it seems to be running at a fairly consistent ~30 frames per second (to add insult to injury, I was overclocking the CPU and GPU when I last tried shadowgun on 4.0.2, and it still ran like garbage)

- With regular usage, my battery life has gone from ~14-16 hours to ~48 hours.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

godnorazi

Banned

link? i have a friend who would be interested in this... his tmobile contract is up and he wants a new contract with the best free phone possible... i looked online and that was the optimus t (ugh)

Fox Mulder

anyone else have a problem with the daylight savings time shit?

My phone is set to automatically pull time and date settings from verizon, and it thinks daylight savings time is tonight. The time, date, and time zone are all correct right now, but my alarm is pushed an hour ahead to 3:45 am instead of 2:45.

I have to tell my phone that it's already monday just so it will wake me up in the morning. I'm really starting to hate this OS. Just another annoyance on a growing list.

Pctx

Banned
I was thinking about getting a kindle fire but now I hear that Google is putting out a Nexus Tablet for $200.

Should I wait?

Is the pope catholic? The fire is a gimped tablet anyways since it's a custom baked version of Gingerbread of which god only knows if it will ever see 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom