• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Wow. My AT&T Nexus S still hasn't gotten ICS. I am so disappointed/frustrated with Google about this whole debacle.

Wah? I thought all versions of the Nexus S had ICS by now? I'm pretty sure at least the Tmobile one does..

Still doesn't work on my unlocked ATT Xperia Play. I will try a TMo HD2 tomorrow.

Hm, weird. Just to test my settings, I went back to the old APN settings I have for MMS, and tried internet and it goes straight to "cannot be displayed" page. The only difference between the 2 is the APN.

The free one is wap.voicestream.com while my MMS one without net is epc.tmobile.com

tino

Banned
Wah? I thought all versions of the Nexus S had ICS by now? I'm pretty sure at least the Tmobile one does..

Hm, weird. Just to test my settings, I went back to the old APN settings I have for MMS, and tried internet and it goes straight to "cannot be displayed" page. The only difference between the 2 is the APN.

The free one is wap.voicestream.com while my MMS one without net is epc.tmobile.com

I change the APN type to "default,Internet+MMS" and now it work. But I think only port 80 is working. Either ebay nor youtube app works. I will play with it a little more tomorrow. You should cross post this to the prepaid thread.

Ashhong

I change the APN type to "default,Internet+MMS" and now it work. But I think only port 80 is working. Either ebay nor youtube app works. I will play with it a little more tomorrow. You should cross post this to the prepaid thread.

Didn't even know there was a prepaid thread, do you have the link? Maybe you should post it =P

What is your current plan? I'm still scared that T-mobile will charge me for whatever I use. I'm going to just use a little bit and then check my bill next month..

tino

Banned
Didn't even know there was a prepaid thread, do you have the link? Maybe you should post it =P

What is your current plan? I'm still scared that T-mobile will charge me for whatever I use. I'm going to just use a little bit and then check my bill next month..

I have a google number forward to a $30/m walmart 5GB TMo prepaid number and a regular preapid TMo number.

TMo can't charge you since you can buy a sim card from them for $2. There is nothing they can do about it.

If this thing works for the next few months I will stop using the walmart plan and only use the prepaid 10 cents/minute number. :)

The prepaid thread is here.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432840

Is there any way to stream stuff from Google Music (Android app) to a network device (DLNA, UPnP)?

I can do it for YouTube videos, local pictures and videos, and other mp3s by using Twonky, but would love to do it for my Google Music via the native app.

Ashhong

I have a google number forward to a $30/m walmart 5GB TMo prepaid number and a regular preapid TMo number.

TMo can charge you since you can buy a sim card from them for $2. There is nothing they can do about it.

If this thing works for the next few months I will stop using the walmart plan and only use the prepaid 10 cents/minute number. :)

The prepaid thread is here.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432840
Ah, well I'm using the trick on an actual T-Mobile plan, so I'm thinking they can detect and charge for the data. Well see next month haha

And ics for us att gs2 won't come out until the end of the year. Do yourself a favor and root!

daoster

Wow...two of my most used Google Music playlists just for no reason at all reset to what they were months ago....my damn playlist! This will be annoying...

Hmmmm just found this on XDA for "free data" for Tmobile users.

APN: wap.voicestream.com
Username: TMobile.com 0000000000 (use your phone # in place of 0000000000)
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
APN type: Internet+MMS

I have no data plan on my phone, and usually keep the data off. When I normally turn it on and try to access data, it takes me to a tmobile web2go page or something. Used these APNs and it works! I don't know if they'll charge me later on though..

this doesn't sound legal...

Getting my S2 in 2 hours, pretty excited (first smartphone wooo).

And ICS is out today? Oh god, I'm going to be fiddling with this all day.

SLV

Interface so far is very meh, a downgrade even, the menus for example, but the speed has risen a lot ! Feels much snappier now !

tino

Banned
That's stealing.

TMobile has had the port 80 open for any URL with "tmibile" string in the URL for the last few years. This is nothing new. The only difference is you can go to a URL without the "tmobile" string.

There is a sticky thread on howardforum for years, and the thread is thousand of posts long. If TMobile wanted to close it, it would have been closed a long time ago.

I wouldn't even call it useful. You get port 80 browsing. You get no gmail, no RSS, no remote access, no google market, no google map. It's fucking charity data. It's no useful.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
sWTZF.jpg

jokkir

I'm going to start designing the Twitter app sometime this week that I might make . I have a question:

- What exactly makes a good Twitter app?

I've seen complaints about the other Twitter apps and don't really see any glaring problems with them (maybe because the only thing I do with them is tweet). If you were to make a Twitter app, what would you like to see?

Hopefully I can do this >__> Making it will just be a hobby though so if I do eventually get around to it, it might take a long time to make.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I'm going to start designing the Twitter app sometime this week that I might make . I have a question:

I've seen complaints about the other Twitter apps and don't really see any glaring problems with them (maybe because the only thing I do with them is tweet). If you were to make a Twitter app, what would you like to see?

Hopefully I can do this >__> Making it will just be a hobby though so if I do eventually get around to it, it might take a long time to make.

I dunno. I swear by Plume myself, as the only problems I really have with it (i.e. the way it handles retweets by default) can be adjusted through the settings. I particularly love the way the widgets for Plume work.

On the other hand, you have Bboy AJ, who I believe has repeatedly asked someone to make a better Twitter app than Plume, so maybe you should start by asking him.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Look at Tweetbot on iOS. It just feels nice. Gestures control a lot and they all mostly feel nice and slick. Each is accompanied by a satisfying sound.

Plume is alright but it feels clunky, bloated. Trends show up in a bubble pop up through a menu function. That's ridiculous.

wario

does anyone know if an ics launcher exists that hides the navigational controls and uses gesture swipes to bring up the "back, home, recent apps" buttons?

JordanKZ

does anyone know if an ics launcher exists that hides the navigational controls and uses gesture swipes to bring up the "back, home, recent apps" buttons?

Unfortunately those navigation buttons are controlled by the OS and not by the launcher itself. AOKP (Kang Project ROM) Milestone 4 has the beginnings of navigator hiding. Their currently system has power button menu controls to turn the navigator on and off and there's quick controls on the power button menu.

Guys I want to use cyanogenmod 9 on my s2 i9100, I have no clue what to do its on stock at the moment, after looking at the official ics update, it looks really ugly will I lose anything while rooting? and what is the most stable version is there a guide somewhere and can I still buy stuff from the store?

kehs

Banned
Unfortunately those navigation buttons are controlled by the OS and not by the launcher itself. AOKP (Kang Project ROM) Milestone 4 has the beginnings of navigator hiding. Their currently system has power button menu controls to turn the navigator on and off and there's quick controls on the power button menu.

That's going to fall strictly into the custom rom territory. You can't do that with just a launcher.

Ashhong

Guys I want to use cyanogenmod 9 on my s2 i9100, I have no clue what to do its on stock at the moment, after looking at the official ics update, it looks really ugly will I lose anything while rooting? and what is the most stable version is there a guide somewhere and can I still buy stuff from the store?

You will lose nothing when rooting. However when installing CM9 you will most likely have to wipe your data first, meaning you will lose all your apps+data+contacts. Of course contacts will be saved via google, and you can use Titanium Backup to restore apps+data (not system data). You can still buy from the store. Check out xda forums for instructions on how to root.

How often do you guys restart your phones? Mine seems to lock up and pull the battery if I don't restart after 4 or 5 days.

Almost never.

Ashhong

ICS on GS2 is available only in Poland, Hungary, Sweden and Korea?

Coming to more I believe

edit: those APN settings from yesterday aren't working anymore...I switched to a different galaxy s2 and now its giving me the web2go page. BOOOO nevermind. Had to cycle through other APN and stuff.

But damn, Gmail doesn't work, like tino said. So this is considered some lame, charity data? Not cheating the system or anything?

tino

Banned
So Samsung claimed Apple is releasing a 7.8" iPad by the the end of the year. This make me really happy.

Too many Android tablet makers are ignoring the 7" market. The iPad mini should bring much better accessories, including an aftermarket hardware keyboard to the 7" market. Although I still prefer somebody hack the PS vita and then port Android to it.

ep85

So Samsung claimed Apple is releasing a 7.8" iPad by the the end of the year. This make me really happy.

Too many Android tablet makers are ignoring the 7" market. The iPad mini should bring much better accessories, including an aftermarket hardware keyboard to the 7" market. Although I still prefer somebody hack the PS vita and then port Android to it.

What are you talking about?

Granted none of them hit it out of the park. Android tablets need a little time to grow into themselves. I give them a year or so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom