• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do these VOIP softare compare? Right now I still use Skype to make VOIP calls, because I mostly make international calls.

they won't replace Skype for you, they're mainly made to take advantage of making the free calls in/to the USA and Canada.

as far as how they work, i've only used GrooVe IP and it works well. apparently Talkatone has their own relay servers that can compress voice even more than the default Google Voice setting which means it should work better over 3G networks.

K444WSR

Just placed my order for the xperia s. Getting it Thursday. Really excited at jumping into the android scene. Even though I'm using a mini pro at the moment, I never really used many apps or the market extensively. Just used it as a phone.
What should be the first things/apps that I should be doing and are there any specific settings/custom roms I can use to prolong battery life?

Ashhong

I don't understand this. I'm using the apn settings I posted earlier and can only seem to access the secondapps neogaf page. Everything else like google is giving me the data plan prompt.

Ideas?

jey_16

Banned
Need gaf's help, I have a galaxy s2 running cm9 which I'm happy with but I am going on holiday and need to be able to record videos which you can't do with cm9 at the moment.

I want to install the official Samsung ICS rom but how would I do this? Can I flash it with clockwork recovery or would I have to use something else like Odin which I am not familiar with....

reKon

Banned
Well it turns out that using dropbox + titanium back up to sync game save data doesn't work too well. Unless someone can think of a way to make it work well, I wasted money on this upgrade because that's the only thing I'll use it for lol

zedge

Need gaf's help, I have a galaxy s2 running cm9 which I'm happy with but I am going on holiday and need to be able to record videos which you can't do with cm9 at the moment.

I want to install the official Samsung ICS rom but how would I do this? Can I flash it with clockwork recovery or would I have to use something else like Odin which I am not familiar with....

This will help.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1544487

It literally takes like 10 min with Odin.

Found this too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihFRsquw_8E

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Guys what you think about the Samsung 10 inch note tablet? Im serously considering getting it.

I'm seriously on the edge of getting it too. Depending on pricing and if any win 8 tabs get announced before the thing is released.

JCX

What are you talking about?

Granted none of them hit it out of the park. Android tablets need a little time to grow into themselves. I give them a year or so...

ICS has really made my transformer feel up there with an iPad. Everything just seems sleeker and more coherent. Android will likely always lag behind iOS in apps, and people like making sure they have the best latest apps, so iPads will rule the tablet market for a long time.

iavi

Hey, if you could, a little help needed androidgaf.

Think you guys could point me towards the best podcast app for the platform? Preferably free. I used to use Listen, but that hardly ever worked as it should.

rozay

Banned
So how do you guys who think sense 4.0 looks ugly and looks like gingerbread feel about this?
http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/13/2867950/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-android-4-0-video

galaxysIIICS_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

This is android 4.0. The only part of the Holo interface that remained is the multitasking menu.

saunderez

This is android 4.0. The only part of the Holo interface that remained is the multitasking menu.

It's terrible and the reason I'm running CM9 rather than the official ICS Rom on my SGSII (Despite the drawbacks CM9 currently has on the device).

I think it looks terrible. Does TouchWiz take over the application drawer as well as the look of the settings menu too?

Touchwiz isn't the issue. It's just a launcher and can be easily replaced by Trebuchet or Nova or Apex or any countless number of superior launchers. It's all of the other UI changes they've made that uglify the entire UI. Plus the use of Samsung apps where there is a perfectly suitable and graphically consistent AOSP alternative (Dialer, Messaging etc). There's no consistency at all which goes against what Google have tried to do with ICS.

saunderez

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Holo launcher was an option instead of the TwLauncher? I thought the user had the choice between the two of them.

See my post above. The problem isn't the launcher, it's everything else they've changed. System apps, the notification draw, the entire Settings UI. It's horrible.

My Galaxy Nexus apparently has a built in auto-reboot function that will take care of it while I'm using it.

You really need to return your phone and exchange it for another one or something. I don't have any reboot issues on mine.

TouchWiz'd ICS makes me LOL. I'm so glad I have the Best Galaxy, you know, the one which shipped with Google's official stock ICS back when it launched late last year.

Ashhong

It's terrible and the reason I'm running CM9 rather than the official ICS Rom on my SGSII (Despite the drawbacks CM9 currently has on the device).

Touchwiz isn't the issue. It's just a launcher and can be easily replaced by Trebuchet or Nova or Apex or any countless number of superior launchers. It's all of the other UI changes they've made that uglify the entire UI. Plus the use of Samsung apps where there is a perfectly suitable and graphically consistent AOSP alternative (Dialer, Messaging etc). There's no consistency at all which goes against what Google have tried to do with ICS.

Ah, my bad. I haven't even spent 1minute on my GS2 with Touchwiz before switching to a custom ROM. I thought TW was a generic term for all of Samsung's UI changes, which is what I was referring to. So I take it Samsung changed the app drawer, settings menu, everything?

zbeeb

So how do you guys who think sense 4.0 looks ugly and looks like gingerbread feel about this?http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/13/2867950/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-android-4-0-video

I think people forget that while power users would love the latest and greatest, new interface to toy with, there are millions of GS2 owners who would be pissed off and confused if they got an update one day and suddenly their phone was completely different.

It's also in Samsungs interest to sell their 'brand,' not an android that you can also find on any Huawei, Asus, LG, etc device. It was expected that the ICS update for the S2 would be very minor, expect changes for the next touchwiz in GS3... or get a nexus ;)

Ah, my bad. I haven't even spent 1minute on my GS2 with Touchwiz before switching to a custom ROM. I thought TW was a generic term for all of Samsung's UI changes, which is what I was referring to. So I take it Samsung changed the app drawer, settings menu, everything?

pretty sure that's correct. the TouchWiz launcher is just a part of the TouchWiz framework.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So is it not farfetched to believe the S3 could hit in mid-late April?

Also, I would bank on an ICS-Touchwiz overhaul to launch with the S3...as it looks like they didn't want to change much with the product/branding they already have established on the S2 which is in a lot of hands.

Kagami

I think people forget that while power users would love the latest and greatest, new interface to toy with, there are millions of GS2 owners who would be pissed off and confused if they got an update one day and suddenly their phone was completely different.
I'd certainly be annoyed if the google search bar was suddenly stuck on all my home screens with no obvious way to get rid of it. (It's not hard if you know how, but...)

Actually, reading through google's ICS page, I found a grand total of one thing I'm interested in that isn't already in TouchWiz gingerbread, and that's the individually clearable notifications.

saunderez

Correct, they've changed mostly everything. I would gladly run stock if they had the standard settings menu and system apps. It's nothing like pure ICS at all. If it weren't for the new task switcher you'd think you were still running Gingerbread.

besiktas1

So... my contract is up next month. Sadly I'm done with my wp7 experiment. Is the Galaxy S3 my best bet at the best coming out. What are my other options?

Cipherr

So how do you guys who think sense 4.0 looks ugly and looks like gingerbread feel about this?
http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/13/2867950/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-android-4-0-video

Its exactly what I expected. Not vanilla Android, and similar to what they shipped on the 20m phones they sold last year.

In stark contrast to our experience with the stock Gingerbread build, battery life seems strong, and there's not a hint of slowdown anywhere in the OS. We ran the obligatory Quadrant benchmark test and achieved a score of 4,032, a slight improvement over the 3812 achieved on Gingerbread. There's one final bit of good news: contrary to Samsung Philippines' rapidly retracted statement, Adobe Flash still functions as normal after updating to Android 4.0.

And because of the above, the average person won't give a single solitary shit. Those that do will run their own launcher or root. I don't really know what to say, we all know how this works. They were never going to ship vanilla or anything close to it. They use their launchers as the identities, and after having a blowout year last year, best believe they want people to recognize their new phone when looking at it, and be familiar with how it works immediately.

Its faster, battery life is better, Flash works, and there's no slowdown. /shrug.

Its also benchmarking pretty crazily high, better than current smartphones even.

GS2-ICS-Browsermark.png

Sunspider 0.9.1 Benchmark with stock ICS browser: 1775ms (previous best from a stock browser was 1983ms from the Galaxy Nexus, previous score from stock browser in Android 2.3.5 was 3371)

Quadrant 1.1.7: 4063 (previous score for a GS2 with Android 2.3.5 was 3465)

Browsermark: 108214 (beats the Galaxy Nexus score of 99178 and significantly beats the iPhone 4S score of 87841)

Seriously, if folks get a familiar UI with great performance, they aren't going to complain much. The rest of us already know what to do.

JonnyBrad

It's also in Samsungs interest to sell their 'brand,' not an android that you can also find on any Huawei, Asus, LG, etc device. It was expected that the ICS update for the S2 would be very minor, expect changes for the next touchwiz in GS3... or get a nexus ;)

Exactly.

If my Gf's GS2 updated and used a completely new launcher/looked different she would wonder what the hell happened. Samsung have basically kept the outward appearance the same but updated whats going on under the hood to allow users to access all the new API's etc.

tino

Banned
Hey, if you could, a little help needed androidgaf.

Think you guys could point me towards the best podcast app for the platform? Preferably free. I used to use Listen, but that hardly ever worked as it should.

BeyondPod or DoggCatcher. BP has a free trail.

jey_16

Banned
Going from cm9 to touchwiz is a bit jarring, there is nothing particularly bad about it vs other gb launchers (and I actually prefer it compared to stock gb) but does look very dated when coming from stock ICS. I did try some other ICS roms that had working video cameras but none of them were in the same league as cm9 so I will definetley be going back once they get it working

I'm guessing Samsung was saving the touchwiz overhaul for the s3 which is fair enough, we already have the nexus flagship with stock ICS and the One X with sense, it's really about choice and I can't complain about that after coming from iOS which still looks like its in 2007

tino

Banned
So somebody got TMobile 3G radio working on the ATT Galaxy Note, I think I am going to upgrade to it much sooner.

Best Galaxy Confirmed!

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^
wowzers!! I hope that's an easy hack to replicate.

Same as before. If any apps have any settings, you'll get there via the menu button.

argh what a waste. So is there any indication now which apps are ics apps and which apps require the menu button? On the Galaxy Nexus the menu icon would pop up as needed but with physical buttons it's not as flexible :/

How many phones is that you magnificent bastard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom