• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
isM5ql.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
Yup, just like apps that didn't have any menu items before. I'm hoping they introduce a remap function down the line.

Do Samsung's own apps now use the ICS UI or do they still rely on the menu button? (Does the Samsung Mail app fix the problems with the ICS Gmail app?)

I seem to recall a hack or ROM that would use the menu button to activate action bar overflow button to show the rest of the commands. I thought that would have been used here.

Sidenote: What ever happened to that ROM feature that moved the onscreen system buttons in the Galaxy Nexus to slide-on side buttons (like the labs feature in the honeycomb/ics browser)? Did the feature become an option in other, more popular ROMs? I really wish there was something like MobileSubstrate for Android so useful hacks could spread more easily. It's kinda ridiculous that you have to install a ROM to modify the power options :?

kinggroin

Banned
Do Samsung's own apps now use the ICS UI or do they still rely on the menu button? (Does the Samsung Mail app fix the problems with the ICS Gmail app?)

I seem to recall a hack or ROM that would use the menu button to activate action bar overflow button to show the rest of the commands. I thought that would have been used here.

Sidenote: What ever happened to that ROM feature that moved the onscreen system buttons in the Galaxy Nexus to slide-on side buttons (like the labs feature in the honeycomb/ics browser)? Did the feature become an option in other, more popular ROMs? I really wish there was something like MobileSubstrate for Android so useful hacks could spread more easily. It's kinda ridiculous that you have to install a ROM to modify the power options :?

That mod is an apk you install. Need an option in your rom to hide the onscreen nav buttons

Doopliss

For devices with a dedicated menu button running ICS you don't get the three-dot menu in the 'title bar' for ICS apps, you open it by pressing the menu button instead. So basically every app does something with the menu button, but I agree it would be nice to remap it to task switching if there could still be a way to access menu functions for every app that needs them.

Con_Smith

Banned
Anyone here still with the droid line? I recently upgraded to the D4 from the D3, and Ihave to say the keyboard is really comfortable, and after rooting I am really impressed with cm9 ics even if it has a few kinks that need to be worked out.

With ics, its really hard for me to understand why companies like moto and samsung would want to continue bastardizing the os and just focus on making their phones better (from battery life to functionality ect) ics should be out for all the big devices right now as I feel it its the best feeling most intuitive one yet. First time I haven't installed launcher pro on a phone just because the stock experience just feels so right.

Husker86

So how do you guys who think sense 4.0 looks ugly and looks like gingerbread feel about this?
http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/13/2867950/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-android-4-0-video

galaxysIIICS_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

This is android 4.0. The only part of the Holo interface that remained is the multitasking menu.

Samsung can't take a phone that people have been using for so long and completely let the UI change. I would hope their upcoming ICS phones have a lighter TouchWiz, but this makes perfect sense for a phone that has already been out and only being upgraded to ICS.

kehs

Banned

No idea about samsung apps. The overflow buttons are part of the action bar api, and they show up withing the app screen real estate and not on the software key are, so they'd work the same on a device with hardware buttons. The softkey menu button that gets added only shows up for older apps that have no action bar implementation. It's an either or situation, so you'd never see both the actionbar and the menu button on the bottom left.

Ashhong

You only get port 80 open. Read my previous post.

If you don't want to learn what port is just chalk it up as "magic".

Yea I read that, but are you saying that certain websites use different ports? I figured it was only certain apps that used different ports.

tino

Banned
Yea I read that, but are you saying that certain websites use different ports? I figured it was only certain apps that used different ports.

If its "https" than it use a different port, not the regular html port (80). So you can't go to websites that use secured html. It's all a trail and error process.

Ashhong

Interesting, thanks. Not being able to use google is a big drag haha, but at least I can use MSN, and I can finally use voice commands on my phone, which is a bonus.

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23371312

Despite an impressive debut by Amazon, which shipped 4.7 million Kindle Fires into the market, Apple continued to see strong growth in the quarter, shipping 15.4 million units in 4Q11, up from 11.1 million units in 3Q11. That represents a 54.7% worldwide market share (down from 61.5% in 3Q11). Amazon's shipment total put the company in second place with 16.8% of the worldwide market. Third-place Samsung grew its share from 5.5% in 3Q11 to 5.8% in 4Q11.

This is going to help, I'm sure of it:

vwOGO.png

gcubed

Rumors were an April/May launch so i would assume it should be soon if the rumors are true

I would think they would want to get a low cost google certified device out as early as possible to keep mindshare off of Win8 tablets. Coming out with a nice $199 tablet would also seriously lower the ceiling for MS's tablet pricing.

RdN

Hey guys, how's the community support for the Galaxy Note? I'm talking about CM9, possibly CM10 and this kind of stuff.

I'm itching to buy one, since my Defy is not satisfaying me anymore. But I want to be sure that I won't be left alone when Jelly Bean comes around.

For devices with a dedicated menu button running ICS you don't get the three-dot menu in the 'title bar' for ICS apps, you open it by pressing the menu button instead. So basically every app does something with the menu button, but I agree it would be nice to remap it to task switching if there could still be a way to access menu functions for every app that needs them.

doesn't long press on home bring up the ICS task switcher?

So somebody got TMobile 3G radio working on the ATT Galaxy Note, I think I am going to upgrade to it much sooner.

Best Galaxy Confirmed!

did they get the Exynos working too or is it still Qualcomm?

rozay

Banned
I think people forget that while power users would love the latest and greatest, new interface to toy with, there are millions of GS2 owners who would be pissed off and confused if they got an update one day and suddenly their phone was completely different.

It's also in Samsungs interest to sell their 'brand,' not an android that you can also find on any Huawei, Asus, LG, etc device. It was expected that the ICS update for the S2 would be very minor, expect changes for the next touchwiz in GS3... or get a nexus ;)
Samsung can't take a phone that people have been using for so long and completely let the UI change. I would hope their upcoming ICS phones have a lighter TouchWiz, but this makes perfect sense for a phone that has already been out and only being upgraded to ICS.
hopefully but probably not, the note 10.1 is skinned the exact same way:
GALAXY-Note-10.1.jpg

zedge

To be fair though they could have tweaked it more. Sense 3.6 or whatever it is looks better. They left out features like the drag and drop folder creation. Still ugly beige folders that look so out of place. Many other things here and there. The color schemes don't match at all, you have some ICS themes with the ICS blue hue that clash with the other colors and don't make sense.. I am really disappointed with ICS on my GS2, seems Samsung is getting full of itself due to its success and figures it can do this. I gave them the benefit of the doubt with the beta leaks but for a so called final version.. bleh. Too bad.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
hopefully but probably not, the note 10.1 is skinned the exact same way:
GALAXY-Note-10.1.jpg

I hate Samsung's crappy widgets, but people can't seem to get enough of them. Everytime I go check out a tab at bestbuy every homescreen on the thing is covered with the same couple of widgets.

To be fair though they could have tweaked it more. Sense 3.6 or whatever it is looks better. They left out features like the drag and drop folder creation. Still ugly beige folders that look so out of place. Many other things here and there. The color schemes don't match at all, you have some ICS themes with the ICS blue hue that clash with the other colors and don't make sense.. I am really disappointed with ICS on my GS2, seems Samsung is getting full of itself due to its success and figures it can do this. I gave them the benefit of the doubt with the beta leaks but for a so called final version.. bleh. Too bad.

Samsung is turning into the HTC of 2011. They're releasing a billion different brands of galaxy phones and tabs, inevitably sabotaging themselves and android down the line.

kehs

Banned
You really need to return your phone and exchange it for another one or something. I don't have any reboot issues on mine.

I jumped on the daily steals deal so there's nowhere to refund/exchange. I'm hoping the next ota fixes this (assuming Google doesn't deprecate the GN with their next release).

Xperia Play question - why can't I access the Playstation Store? I can't find many (read: any) of the Playstation 1 games, barring Crash, which came with my phone, and I can't seem to access many of the games that are supposed to be accessible via the launcher.

When I press "More Games" in the Xperia Play menu, I get a small list of games that aren't the ones I'm looking for, and furthermore all I can do is use the V Cast Apps section to find more. And I get sent to V Cast Apps if I want to buy any of the games in "More Games" anyways.

Why is this?

RdN

Hey guys, how's the community support for the Galaxy Note? I'm talking about CM9, possibly CM10 and this kind of stuff.

I'm itching to buy one, since my Defy is not satisfaying me anymore. But I want to be sure that I won't be left alone when Jelly Bean comes around.

Anyone? Please! :)

jey_16

Banned
I've been thinking about trying CM9 on my GS2, any impressions?

its fantastic, i had been running it since early january and jad no problems. Smooth as butter.

I think the only thing not working at the moment is the video camera but that should be fixed soon

its fantastic, i had been running it since early january and jad no problems. Smooth as butter.

I think the only thing not working at the moment is the video camera but that should be fixed soon

Which model do you have?

I have a GT-I9100, it should support all models though.

oh, hahaha, the free version of GrooVe IP makes sense now. Talkatone is now available for Android.

i guess Spare Phone (formerly gVoice VoIP) wasn't a threat, but Talkatone is.

i guess i should mention that i tried Talkatone out yesterday and it worked fine if you don't mind the ads. the free GrooVe IP Lite has ads too, but it doesn't have proximity sensor support or cellular call support like the paid version, while Talkatone has both of those in the free version. if you do mind the ads, GrooVe IP is $5 while disabling the ads in Talkatone is $8 (IAP) soooo..... try the free versions of both and see which you like more?

Xperia Play question - why can't I access the Playstation Store? I can't find many (read: any) of the Playstation 1 games, barring Crash, which came with my phone, and I can't seem to access many of the games that are supposed to be accessible via the launcher.

When I press "More Games" in the Xperia Play menu, I get a small list of games that aren't the ones I'm looking for, and furthermore all I can do is use the V Cast Apps section to find more. And I get sent to V Cast Apps if I want to buy any of the games in "More Games" anyways.

Why is this?

Do you have the latest PlayStation store app installed on your phone?
There should be three separate PlayStation apps on your phone.
1)xperia play launcher (the one that automatically launches itself when you slide open the gamepad)
2)PlayStation pocket which is the one with all the psone classics.
3)PlayStation Store - lets you purchase psone and PlayStation certified games from the psn store., it was made available sometime this week, you need a direct download to install it on your phone. Search xda if you dont have it.

http://www.playstation.com/pss/store/en.html

xxx111.jpg

zbeeb

Just loaded an aokp rom onto my s2, its so much better than Samsung ics its not funny, its so pretty and im absolutely loving the customization options. Only download is video recording doesn't work yet, but I honestly can't remember the last time I used it so I don't mind.

Transparent status bar looks awesome on the homescreen but really looks out of place everywhere else. Makes me sad panda :(

tino

Banned
did they get the Exynos working too or is it still Qualcomm?

Until some one else figure out how to put LTE radio in their chipset, U.S. carriers will continue use slower Qualcomm CPU. You don't even need to bring it up in a US Android phone discussion.

I don't care about that anymore. The most important is I get unlocked bootloader, with unlocked bootloader I can roll my own ROM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom