• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until some one else figure out how to put LTE radio in their chipset, U.S. carriers will continue use slower Qualcomm CPU. You don't even need to bring it up in a US Android phone discussion.

I don't care about that anymore. The most important is I get unlocked bootloader, with unlocked bootloader I can roll my own ROM.

you mean like the Droid 4 or Toro?

beje

Banned
end of this month i think

I hope it's the same for my Xperia Mini Pro. If I don't have something by then I'll just unlock bootloader and install a custom ICS ROM. Heck, I might do it this evening if I'm bored enough. There are already some ROMs where the only stuff not working is the official camera app (and 3rd party camera apps do).

RdN

I know this probably benn answered before, but the thread is huge, so gere it goes:

How much faster is the Galaxy S 2 running ICS in comparisson to the Galaxy Nexus?

I saw some reviews of the Nexus nothing that Its hardware is nothing to write home about, and since I plan to stick with my new phone for a good while, I dont want it to become outdated or not able to run newer apps or even what comes after Jelly Bean.

kinggroin

Banned
so, any concrete news on the Samsung super tablet? I got $650 in BB credit for my Xoom and about to pull the trigger on the new iPad, but want to know if there was something comparable on the android side coming soon.

tino

Banned
you mean like the Droid 4 or Toro?
Yeah but droid 4 has a dualcore cpu. Moto doesn't have a quadcore+LTE solution. Even if it announce one, it uses its own LTE radio. So neither HTC nor Samsung can use it.

I donno what Toro is.

So the top end US android phones will continue wait for the Snapdragon S4. BTW I belive MS is waiting for the same Snapdragon S4 chip for the LTE radio. They really shouldn't wait.

Kraftwerk

I'm very close to getting the Galaxy Note.

I haven't had an Android device since the OG droid. I loved it to death.

Any of you guys got one? My only concern is the battery life, having that gigantic screen.

andycapps

so, any concrete news on the Samsung super tablet? I got $650 in BB credit for my Xoom and about to pull the trigger on the new iPad, but want to know if there was something comparable on the android side coming soon.

If you're thinking about getting an iPad, you should get an iPad.

Am I doing this right?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Any of you guys got one? My only concern is the battery life, having that gigantic screen.

It has a 2500 mAh battery. In my experience, it tends to last 1.5 - 2 days before needing a recharge.

kehs

Banned

The thing has a massive battery to compensate.

kehs

Banned
See guys, it's diversity and not fragmentation.

Device Diversity
To put device diversity in context, we see almost around 1000 different devices streaming Netflix on Android every day. We had to figure out how to categorize these devices in buckets so that we can be reasonably sure that we are releasing something that will work properly on these devices. So the devices we choose to participate in our continuous integration system are based on the following criteria.

Testing Netflix on Android

I've been thinking about trying CM9 on my GS2, any impressions?

I wouldn't recommend it for daily use, there are 2-3 super annoying bugs/missing features like: SMSC gets deleted randomly, internal clock freezes, video recording isn't working, some video codecs still don't work, etc.

Wait another month or so, CM9 should be done by then.

Has anyone heard of this?

Project Chameleon for Android Tablets

BY JAMES PEARCE ON MARCH 14, 2012 IN ANDROID

Now and again I come across things on the web that truly amaze me. Well this is one of those times. Teknision are the company behind the Blackberry Playbook interface, which is a nice well thought out launcher. They have come up with a prototype launcher for Android tablets and not just your normal launcher this really looks like it could be useful. They even have a video of it being used on a device. As to whether this ever becomes a reality is another question or whether it will become an oem only product. It would be nice if you could buy this like SPB Shell which gives the Android UI a bit of an overhaul.

I quite often hear people complaining about manufacturers skinning Android and ruining the experience. Well I for one wouldn’t complain about this. It also sounds like it will support multiple users as well which will be great for families.

So check out the marketing blurb and the video below. At the very end are some links to the Teknision website also.

projectChameleon_01.png
projectChameleon_02.png
projectChameleon_03.png

Chameleon will change how you use your Tablet.

The tablet has become a disruptive force in consumer electronics. Much like the smartphone before it, the tablet market is growing at an incredible pace.

The tablet experience, however, has seen very little in the way of innovation. As tablets are gaining ground where laptops used to tread, the user experience is still firmly rooted in the world of the mobile phone. The two main tablet interfaces, iOS and Android are little more than expansions of the mobile experience. Tablets are far more than a smartphone with a bigger screen. The recent success of tablets such as the Barnes and Noble Nook and the Kindle Fire shows that the market is primed for a change.
Project Chameleon is a research and development initiative to create a working prototype of where we believe the tablet OS should move towards.
Chameleon is based on three goals: Personalization, Contextualization and Differentiation.

Personalization - The First Point of Reference

chameleon_side_personalization.png

Chameleon personalization goes beyond a surface level change of imagery – Chameleon adapts it’s interface proactively to the person using it. The first step to this is understanding the user as an individual. Chameleon uses advanced face recognition technology combined with simple creation and management of multiple user profiles to dynamically understand who is currently using the device. This not only enables very granular security and permissions, it also paves the way for proactive and intelligent information display based on combining cloud based user information with the context of time and location.

Contextualization - The Game Changer

chameleon_side_contextualization-450x355.png

Chameleon is based on the belief that a tablet operating system should do more than simply present applications and notifications. Chameleon has done away with the under utilized idea of home screens and replaced them with the concept of contextual dashboards that dynamically provide functionality and display information based on the context of time and location. As the user brings their tablet with them through the environments of home, travel and work, Chameleon changes it’s interface to present the most appropriate dashboard.
Chameleon is always relevant, always responsive.

Differentiation - Stand Out From the Crowd

chameleon_side_differentiation.png

Chameleon is built on Android. There are many advantages to using the Android platform, however the wide adoption of Android does pose some serious strategic brand challenges. Most devices have similar form factors and consumers are increasingly placing less importance on hardware specifications, the result is very little differentiation between products.

Moreover, with a multi-touch device, the user experience is the main embodiment of a brand. Settling for the stock implementation of Android effectively puts the brand experience in the hands of the Android team. Chameleon is designed for original equipment manufacturers who require a signature UI experience to help gain market differentiation.

chameleon_smartAgent-450x334.png

A glimpse at the future of smart agents.

Chameleon features a pioneering concept that replaces standard notification systems with a Smart Agent that will proactively suggest actions, tasks and send reminders based on an understanding of the data and intentions of the user. For example, a business traveller whose flight may change will no longer just receive a notification about the change. Instead, Chameleon will notify the user of the change and ask permission to update schedules, send notices and book alternate arrangements based on the impact caused by the flight change.
http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2012/03/14/project-chameleon-for-android-tablets/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWZ7guxro2g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChgS0pry76Q

kehs

Banned
It reminds me alot of Slide Screen home (I think that was the name). The only thing keeping those things from succeeding is support. Unfortunately for them they are trying to aggregate alot of data from sources that will change their APIs without notice (Gmail, Facebook, Twitter), and if they don't step up, their entire purpose goes belly up. Like Slide Screen, as soon as Google pulled an API for Gmail notifications they closed up shop.

It does look nice though, although a little flashy.

beje

Banned
Ok, after a whole 2 hours of tinkering around downloading tools, ROMs and tutorials I finally installed an ICS ROM in my Xperia Mini Pro for shit and giggles. Currently in its first boot (which takes long), let's hope I didn't fuck it up...

Edit: Cool! It worked :3

Threi

notag
looks nice. im reeeeeeeeally sick of ics blue already (dont like blue to begin with). too bad its the only way for android to look somewhat unified :(

S. L.

Ok, after a whole 2 hours of tinkering around downloading tools, ROMs and tutorials I finally installed an ICS ROM in my Xperia Mini Pro for shit and giggles. Currently in its first boot (which takes long), let's hope I didn't fuck it up...

Edit: Cool! It worked :3
how do you like the mini pro? my gf is kinda looking at getting one (it's small and has a physical keyboard...)

panda21

Miui 4 for sgs2 should be out tomorrow. Sounds cool because they have based the whole thing on Samsung stuff, with no cm9 in it at all. Hopefully that should mean its super smooth and stable.

beje

Banned
how do you like the mini pro? my gf is kinda looking at getting one (it's small and has a physical keyboard...)

Well, those are exactly the very same features why I chose it, and I'm really happy with it. Besides, don't let the small size fool you: it's has a really good hardware (1GHz processor, Adreno 205, 512MB RAM) enough to move Dead Space. Only downside is the HVGA screen (480x320) but it's good enough for its small size.

Do you have the latest PlayStation store app installed on your phone?
There should be three separate PlayStation apps on your phone.
1)xperia play launcher (the one that automatically launches itself when you slide open the gamepad)
2)PlayStation pocket which is the one with all the psone classics.
3)PlayStation Store - lets you purchase psone and PlayStation certified games from the psn store., it was made available sometime this week, you need a direct download to install it on your phone. Search xda if you dont have it.

http://www.playstation.com/pss/store/en.html

xxx111.jpg

It doesn't appear to be in the US according to that website. And I called SE - apparently that may be a Verizon decision. If it's Verizon's fault I don't have what I'm supposed to have on this fucking phone...

tino

Banned
It doesn't appear to be in the US according to that website. And I called SE - apparently that may be a Verizon decision. If it's Verizon's fault I don't have what I'm supposed to have on this fucking phone...

What do you try to do? Play PS1 game? Just get PFse.

kehs

Banned
ICS 4.0.3 on an Asus EEEPC (x86). I have an 1000HE, might try to toss it on there later tonight. I jammed a resistive touch screen on it, I wonder if it'll recognize it.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/03/1...nks-to-android-x86-looks-surprisingly-usable/

Got digity damn! Everything works including my shitty touchscreen, camera, touchpad, keyboard, and usb!

My balls are fire!

http://db.tt/tPFDYMVD

Ita smoother than gingerbread.

edit: Edited from my eeepc 100he running ICS 4.0.3 (better than Worst Nexus!) with touchscreen, keyboard, and chkoler's webapp!.

kehs

Banned
This thing is screaming on the atom chip set! I'm so surprised. I have new hope for android tablets/notebook/desktops.

Even Alt + Tab works.

The "menu" key that's used for windows menus, brings up the options in apps.

This OS keeps blowing my mind.

I don't know how much of this stuff is custom, but there's alot of thought put into the physical/touchscreen combination. Click and drag works just like touch and drag. I can turn on the onscreen keyboard at will.

Touch screen + keyboard combo beats the shit out of a touch pad + keyboard combo, and possible a keyboard + mouse combo for a net book/laptop.

Auto correcting with a touchscreen after typing with a keyboard......OMG.

RdN

So, after going to the store and spending a good half hour with the G-Nexus and the G-Note, I came home with the Note.

The Nexus is beautiful, the curved screen looks amazing, and ICS is a whole other level, but I kept seeing that little, subtle slowdown when changing screens, something that the Note doesn't have. Also, the screen on the Note is unbeliavable. So big, so beautiful. I can say I'm in love with it.

Now, I really hope that Sammy will release it's ICS upgrade soon. I don't want to venture in custom roms just yet.

sangreal

So what's the deal with Thunderbolt and CM? I bought one around a year ago largely based on the hype around here and CM seems allergic to it. Don't get me wrong, I have few complaints outside of the battery but I don't understand why CM refuses to support it. There is an unofficial CM7 build (which I am running), and an official HTC ICS build has been announced, but no official CM9. Any particular reason why they refuse to support it? Just no interested developers?

I really think I will just grab an iPhone 5 when it comes out at this point and save the headaches. I already have a Xoom for Android

kehs

Banned
So what's the deal with Thunderbolt and CM? I bought one around a year ago largely based on the hype around here and CM seems allergic to it. Don't get me wrong, I have few complaints outside of the battery but I don't understand why CM refuses to support it. There is an unofficial CM7 build (which I am running), and an official HTC ICS build has been announced, but no official CM9. Any particular reason why they refuse to support it? Just no interested developers? I really think I will just grab an iPhone 5 when it comes out at this point and save the headaches. I already have a Xoom for Android

Nobody on the team probably has one, plus it's CDMA and loaded up with a shitty beta LTE antenna they can't get drivers for.

----

Sidenote: This ICS on this three year old Atom is running better than my tegra 2 transformer tablet.

zbeeb

About to install CM9 port onto my I777 :D Am I right in assuming CM9 > AOKP?

The way I see it, CM9 is good for stock, AOKP good for stock + customisation. AOKP has a few more options for tweaking how the lockscreen and status bar look/function.

Otherwise they are basically identical :)

Ashhong

The way I see it, CM9 is good for stock, AOKP good for stock + customisation. AOKP has a few more options for tweaking how the lockscreen and status bar look/function.

Otherwise they are basically identical :)

Cool, I'll try out both then and see how it goes, thanks. Only problem is I installed the CM9 right now and can't seem to access the phone with my computer, even in CWM :(

JWong

Banned
Hey guys, got a question.

If I root my Xperia Arc, can I circumvent the service provider's tether charge?
Will I be able to tether for free if I root it?

tino

Banned
Nobody on the team probably has one, plus it's CDMA and loaded up with a shitty beta LTE antenna they can't get drivers for.

----

Sidenote: This ICS on this three year old Atom is running better than my tegra 2 transformer tablet.
Is there any Windows emulator you can try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom