• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck that compromise. Make it $250 and add the Tegra 3 back in again.

Yeah, $149 is a dumb price point. For a tablet, I don't really see $199 being any more prohibitive of a price point than $149. Give me $50 of extra value.

If Tegra 3 is out, I would be happy with an OMAP 4470 as its replacement.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah, $149 is a dumb price point. For a tablet, I don't really see $199 being any more prohibitive of a price point than $149. Give me $50 of extra value.

Maybe it's one of those awesome new S4s considering the article mentions Qualcomm.

Maybe it's one of those awesome new S4s considering the article mentions Qualcomm.

Well they aren't mentioned with any substance, and I would think a 45nm chip would be more appealing to google for an uber-cheap mass market tablet considering how immature the 28nm process currently is.

kehs

Banned
Didn't work so great on a 1101HA. Almost every app crashes immediately, but wireless/webcam/touchpad all worked nicely. Cool project, hope it continues to mature.

My first boot into was pretty iffy too, most everything ironed out after i updated the play store. Chrome never wanted to open though. =(

I want know if there is a way to virtualize XP on Android once the x86 intel Android phone come out. I am pretty sure you can't run XP native on it.

That's a pretty weird need to be honest. But I don't see any prohibiting an install of x 86 windows on it if it has an open bootloader.

giga

If they wanted to reduce costs, going with a high clock dual core a9 and an sgx544 doesn't add up. Most likely the 4460.

tino

Banned
Fuck that compromise. Make it $250 and add the Tegra 3 back in again.

I actually prefer that. I can't think of anything I need to run faster.

Being $150 is not a gimmick though. Amazon got there with $199 tablet. Google need to do something different to sell this tablet. Maybe free free download for first 3 episodes of all TV shows or something like that.

K' Dash

I just bught the Galaxy Tab 7, I'm so fucking happy, shit's is so beautiful, and is the right size, love it.

Any recomendations to pimp it?

I actually prefer that. I can't think of anything I need to run faster.

Being $150 is not a gimmick though. Amazon got there with $199 tablet. Google need to do something different to sell this tablet. Maybe free free download for first 3 episodes of all TV shows or something like that.

But Google doesn't even sell TV Shows :(

Nexus Tablet at $149 (or £179 by the time it gets to the uk) interests me. Unless they cheap out on the screen.

If it ships with ICS will they stick with OMAP as the reference, or spread the love to another chipset?

rozay

Banned
Is this $149 tablet going to have good specs or will it be hobbled compared to say an iPad? Not here to troll I just haven't read about it at all, and it's interesting to me to see google undercut the kindle fire which has a huge subsidy from amazon in terms of the costs doesn't it?

SimleuqiR

Is this $149 tablet going to have good specs or will it be hobbled compared to say an iPad? Not here to troll I just haven't read about it at all, and it's interesting to me to see google undercut the kindle fire which has a huge subsidy from amazon in terms of the costs doesn't it?

You are not trolling.

Let me say this, Google's efforts in hardware will all end up in demise. They don't even design their own Nexus devices and this rumored tablet will just be that - someone else's product with the Google Nexus name slapped on to it.

It's funny that they are going to try and compete with Amazon, the only company actually doing something to push tablet sales. Sadly for Google, Amazon is a very well known retailer and has the market presence to actually compete with Apple in this market. But they are not shipping their devices with the Android Market Google Play Store Shop.

If Google wants to ever be like "Apple" they are going to have to design their own hardware from the ground up and market it as unique.

I have my doubts that any Nexus device could compete with the iPad or iPhone at this point.

The saving grace for Google is that Android is/has been a dream for OEMs and Carriers, since they don't have an "Apple" telling them what they can or can't do with the software or hardware. Therefore, carriers put money and effort to promote said devices. Otherwise Apple would control the entire mobile market.

Unless Google markets this rumored Tablet like it's their own iPad killer, it's going nowhere fast. Even with good marketing it could still be a dud.

This is my honest opinion (not trolling).

kehs

Banned

Technically, there is no google tablet, everything is based on rumors at the moment. I'd expect a pretty nice screen at 7", probably 720p at minimum since it's pretty much standard affair nowadays. I think that comes out to about 200 ppi.

tino

Banned

It should be faster than Galaxy Tab, which is a good enough tablet. I doubt Amazon subsidizes the Kindle tablet. Chinese ShanZai tablets has been able to sale for less.

Google need to have content to go with the tablet.

an iPad is always hobbled compared to an Android Tablet, even a $149 model, and the Kindle Fire isn't really undercut by Amazon, the estimated BOM is below the sale price. the main issue with a tablet that price is they start cutting out things like SD card slots, webcams for video chat, HDMI out, etc...

panda21

does chrome run ok on CM9 for anyone? it always force closes for me now, pretty much as soon as I load a page and scroll down it. might be an SGS2 specific thing.

sucks because it seems like a super cool browser

also is there such a thing as a good facebook replacement app, that doesnt hog so much resources? i tried friendcaster and it was awful

Dizzan

MINI Member
Also, why isn't picasa on Android yet?

I know Google is phasing out Picasa web albums to focus on Google+ photos but I love picasas editing tools. Do you think they will ever release it on Android or add the same editing features to Google+? Surely it cant be that hard.

kehs

Banned
Also, why isn't picasa on Android yet?

I know Google is phasing out Picasa web albums to focus on Google+ photos but I love picasas editing tools. Do you think they will ever release it on Android or add the same editing features to Google+? Surely it cant be that hard.

The ICS gallery is pretty much a picasa app, it syncs your albums, has editing, sort by albums/tags, all that jazz.

Cipherr

No, the tech in a $149 tablet PC is not going to be equal to the tech in a $499 tablet. That should be obvious, but just in case anyone is wondering.

I've been looking into a tablet to use primarily as an eReader, and that Nexus tablet sounds right up my alley, between the price and Google Play support. I hope it comes to fruition.

Before I was looking into the Kindle, but that only supports Amazon's store.

Dizzan

MINI Member
The ICS gallery is pretty much a picasa app, it syncs your albums, has editing, sort by albums/tags, all that jazz.

Okay great. Still waiting for my Carrier to update to ICS (feeling like it will never happen....)

Picasa has just introduced some awesome editing tools though. I doubt they will be as rich.

tino

Banned
Fuck, the verged picked up the tablet story, it must be legit.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/16/2878203/google-nexus-tablet-7-inch-199-kindle-fire-killer

Damn you Topolsky and you're credibility.

Coming months? That must mean 2013.

Well since the leaks said the Apple 7.85" tablet will be out by the end of the year (with the iPhone 5?), I think it's reasonable to assume Google want to release this around summer. It's interesting to see Google release a "Nexus" product without a software version bump. Maybe they will call it Android 4.5 and throw all the shit they have in the lab in it.

Al-ibn Kermit

Well since the leaks said the Apple 7.85" tablet will be out by the end of the year (with the iPhone 5?), I think it's reasonable to assume Google want to release this around summer. It's interesting to see Google release a "Nexus" product without a software version bump. Maybe they will call it Android 4.5 and throw all the shit they have in the lab in it.
It'll probably be like half the price of an 8 inch iPad, considering how much an ipod touch sells for

equap

Banned
anyway to select which album to show up in the ics Gallery? I don't want to see my icons album to show up, just pictures from camera.

equap

Banned
use notepad to create a random file. Name it .nomedia (no name, just .nomedia) and place it in your folder. Then rescan your music library
thanks. I also had to rename the folder to something else so the gallery does a refresh and then change the folder back.

DXPett1

The comments on that Verge article bring up a pet peeve of mine with Google

Kindle Fire… US only.
Amazon Instant Video… US only.
Amazon Cloud Player… US only.
Amazon Appstore… US only.
Amazon MP3… US, UK, Germany, France
Amazon Prime… US, UK, Germany, Japan

Google Movies… US/UK/Canada/Japan.
Google Music… US only.
Google Books… US/UK/Canada/Australia

iTunes… Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estona, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Ireland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States, Venezuala

iTunes Match … Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, France, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States, Venezuela

iTunes TV shows … Australia, Canada, France, Germany, UK, US

Sure Amazon is worse, but they should be throwing more effort (or at least communicating their current efforts) in to getting their services worldwide. Doesn't matter how fucking good your shit is if no one can use it

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know a lot of techies will hate it, but damn if they can really get an "nexus" tablet for $150 out that would definitely turn some heads IMO. $150 is where things really go mass market for all IMO.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You are not trolling.

Let me say this, Google's efforts in hardware will all end up in demise. They don't even design their own Nexus devices and this rumored tablet will just be that - someone else's product with the Google Nexus name slapped on to it.

It's funny that they are going to try and compete with Amazon, the only company actually doing something to push tablet sales. Sadly for Google, Amazon is a very well known retailer and has the market presence to actually compete with Apple in this market. But they are not shipping their devices with the Android Market Google Play Store Shop.

If Google wants to ever be like "Apple" they are going to have to design their own hardware from the ground up and market it as unique.

I have my doubts that any Nexus device could compete with the iPad or iPhone at this point.

The saving grace for Google is that Android is/has been a dream for OEMs and Carriers, since they don't have an "Apple" telling them what they can or can't do with the software or hardware. Therefore, carriers put money and effort to promote said devices. Otherwise Apple would control the entire mobile market.

Unless Google markets this rumored Tablet like it's their own iPad killer, it's going nowhere fast. Even with good marketing it could still be a dud.

This is my honest opinion (not trolling).

All on point. I don't care for how Google does things. I wish Google would allow Android to be what it is right now but also pull and Apple by making their own stuff and showcasing how Android can really be done. The Nexus line does that, somewhat, but not fully. Look at the fragmentations of the GSM and LTE Galaxy Nexuses. It's ridiculous.

Are other manufacturers really going to abandon Android if Google gets in the game? Carriers would probably tell Google to fuck off, though.

Ninhead

Heya Android-gaf... Need a bit of advice.

I have Sprint, and an Evo4g, and an upgrade coming up at the beginning of April. Do I wait a few months to see if some new hot shit is announced, or do I go the route of best available now (Galaxy S II or Nexus S?). Any input would be greatly appreciated!

tino

Banned

I have Sprint, and an Evo4g, and an upgrade coming up at the beginning of April. Do I wait a few months to see if some new hot shit is announced, or do I go the route of best available now (Galaxy S II or Nexus S?). Any input would be greatly appreciated!

HTC One X will be probably announced by then, double check EVO 4G and EVO 3D announcement month.

Galaxy Nexus is coming in April/May. EVO sucessor most likely in June. (HTC One X?)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

If you like your Evo and HTC as the other posters have said wait for the new HTC One Sprint Variant to drop. They've already shown the phone off, and it seems like the perfect phone for you to move to honestly.

HTC One X!

PS: Call me crazy Android GAF, but I don't really own a tablet right now. Not that I wouldn't like one or use the shit out of one if I had it. I just can't justify the price to get one right now especially seeing how fast they are updating. I figure in another year or two Tablets will be really hitting that "good enough" category at laptops hit a few years ago. That being said if Google dropped a 7" Nexus Tablet with ICS for $150 or maybe even $199 I'd be there day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom