• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like it has the styling of the post law suit tabs.

That's what I was thinking.

I think Apple being dicks might be the best thing to happen to this industry if we start seeing devices with speakers that actually point roughly in the direction of my ears.

Does this mean the Nexus One will get CM9?

All of the existing ICS roms for the N1 seem pretty solid with the exception of some driver issues, with the biggest glaring issue being the lack of proper video drivers.

This should fix that, so there wouldn't be a good reason for there not being an official build of CM9 for the N1.

RdN

Waht's the best app for displaying notitications on a phone that doesn't have a LED indicator? Is it still No-Led?

kehs

Banned
Does this mean the Nexus One will get CM9?

That was my first thought. Checked over on XDA, and apparently these drivers have been available unofficially for some time now, they'res other issues I guess.

Unrelated: The latest play store update appears to actually queue multiple updates. So much better than before where it would try to download and install everything simultaneously.

Ninhead

If you like your Evo and HTC as the other posters have said wait for the new HTC One Sprint Variant to drop. They've already shown the phone off, and it seems like the perfect phone for you to move to honestly.

HTC One X!

PS: Call me crazy Android GAF, but I don't really own a tablet right now. Not that I wouldn't like one or use the shit out of one if I had it. I just can't justify the price to get one right now especially seeing how fast they are updating. I figure in another year or two Tablets will be really hitting that "good enough" category at laptops hit a few years ago. That being said if Google dropped a 7" Nexus Tablet with ICS for $150 or maybe even $199 I'd be there day one.

Thanks for your help. I love my evo (mainly what I can do with it post-root). The one-x looks like a winner... Now just need an announcement of a date.

Al-ibn Kermit

Heya Android-gaf... Need a bit of advice.

I have Sprint, and an Evo4g, and an upgrade coming up at the beginning of April. Do I wait a few months to see if some new hot shit is announced, or do I go the route of best available now (Galaxy S II or Nexus S?). Any input would be greatly appreciated!

The Galaxy Nexus and other LTE phones are coming out in the summer. Possibly even the GS3. I would definitely wait and at least get an LTE phone as the Wimax network will eventually be phased out.

Ripclawe

Banned
The Galaxy Nexus and other LTE phones are coming out in the summer. Possibly even the GS3. I would definitely wait and at least get an LTE phone as the Wimax network will eventually be phased out.

same boat but the 4g in south florida for sprint is horrible and spotty and looking to cut down on bills I am thinking of getting an unlocked galaxy nexus for 540 and just put it on the walmart tmobile 30 bucks a month deal.

Anyone with an unlocked version have problems with AT&t or tmobile?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
same boat but the 4g in south florida for sprint is horrible and spotty and looking to cut down on bills I am thinking of getting an unlocked galaxy nexus for 540 and just put it on the walmart tmobile 30 bucks a month deal.

None at all. Unlocked on AT&T

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

You have to use a phone you bought at Walmart for the $30 plan.

I am going on a trip for 2 weeks, what's a good remote wipe app? Something that can wipe with wrong password?

I use cerberus, I don't know if it does what you want it to do, as if I were to have it set up like that, I would loose all my data everyday.

JWong

Banned
Anyone have an Xperia S yet?

I'm going to import one because it'll arrive in Canada in about a year. I really don't want to, but I don't really have much of a choice.

OatmealMu

What's the best car navigation solution for a wifi-only tablet? My dad picked up an HTC Flyer and I'm trying to set it up for him. Google Navigation is nice if you have a data connection. A 10-mile cache only goes so far. The ability re-route someone when lost is crucial as is the ability to store maps and voice navigation on the tablet. Sygic and CoPilot have caught my attention. Reviews are all over the place, though -- reminds me of when I shop for Bluetooth devices.

Ripclawe

Banned
You have to use a phone you bought at Walmart for the $30 plan.

Slickdealers use the sim card on other phones like Nexus unless tmobile changed the requirements.

BTW, the newest little craze seems to be getting the ZTE Score phone for 30 bucks and using it as a cheap MP3/ WIFI device

http://slickdeals.net/f/4024408-Cricket-Muve-ZTE-Score-for-29-99

Got one a couple of days ago, easy to root and decent for the price plus its full android.

kehs

Banned
What's the best car navigation solution for a wifi-only tablet? My dad picked up an HTC Flyer and I'm trying to set it up for him. Google Navigation is nice if you have a data connection. A 10-mile cache only goes so far. The ability re-route someone when lost is crucial as is the ability to store maps and voice navigation on the tablet. Sygic and CoPilot have caught my attention. Reviews are all over the place, though -- reminds me of when I shop for Bluetooth devices.

You can actually precache multiple 10 mile grids. That won't help with the rerouting though.

You could always tether the tablet to a phone.

leadbelly

Banned
Thanks for your help. I love my evo (mainly what I can do with it post-root). The one-x looks like a winner... Now just need an announcement of a date.

Actually, I'm starting to think the One S is more of a winner. The one thing that put me off the One X is the size of the phone. My sensation XE is about as big as I would want a phone really. The One S is a little cheaper, is a similar size to the sensation, has a super Amoled screen, and has a the new dual core krait CPU.

In benchmarks the dual-core krait CPU has performed better than the quad-core tegra 3 CPU. Of course where it is let down is with the GPU. It still has the current generation Adreno GPU. It won't be changed until later this year. I'm not really sure how much it matters though.

The benefit of having the Tegra 3 chipset is games are optimised especially for it. Although, to date there has only really been a handful of games made for it. Maybe that will change in the not too distant future, I don't know.

Still, the One S isn't really what I would consider an inferior phone in comparison to the One X. It has advantages over the One X. And right now, for me personally, I consider it the more desirable phone.

Having said that, I will probably wait until next year now and see what phones we have then.

Menelaus

Banned

tether to your phone and use google navigation?

tino

Banned

I doubt your wifi only tablet has GPS inside, you might as get that $30 ZTE phone.

As for offline GPS, you can try co-pilot for free.

AndyD

aka andydumi
You can actually precache multiple 10 mile grids. That won't help with the rerouting though.

You could always tether the tablet to a phone.

Yea you can precache a ton. I precached my entire city and every city where I travel just in case. The problem is the re-routing and that there are no businesses locally stored (gas, restaurants, attractions for travel).

Futureman

Don't really like that Chameleon thing on the last page. WAY too cluttered IMO... just don't agree that the tablet homescreen needs to be filled to the brim with content. I like the balance Google has been widgets/icons. iOS is WAY too simple with the rows of icons.

$150 Nexus tablet? SIGN ME UP. I'm not buying a tablet since I already have a 4.3" phone. But if it was really that cheap I don't see why not.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Don't really like that Chameleon thing on the last page. WAY too cluttered IMO... just don't agree that the tablet homescreen needs to be filled to the brim with content. I like the balance Google has been widgets/icons. iOS is WAY too simple with the rows of icons.

$150 Nexus tablet? SIGN ME UP. I'm not buying a tablet since I already have a 4.3" phone. But if it was really that cheap I don't see why not.

I guess we differ somewhat. I would love something like Chameleon. I want to get a couple of tablets for around the house and having something like that always on on the side table offers a bunch of info at a glance without needing interaction. Have a nice photo slideshow as a screensaver, then one touch and a nice screen of info without having to go through several apps/widgets/pages. It sounds nice as an infostation. But I agree its not needed for more serious work.

Futureman

I'll admit though I've never owned a tablet and I kinda just glanced over that video. So my opinion isn't that informed. But from what I've seen in videos, ICS looks pretty great to me.

th3dude

Slickdealers use the sim card on other phones like Nexus unless tmobile changed the requirements.

BTW, the newest little craze seems to be getting the ZTE Score phone for 30 bucks and using it as a cheap MP3/ WIFI device

http://slickdeals.net/f/4024408-Cricket-Muve-ZTE-Score-for-29-99

Got one a couple of days ago, easy to root and decent for the price plus its full android.

Wow, thanks for this heads up. This may very well answer my question of how to properly test my apps on Gingerbread devices since I'm on ICS.

Might go grab one today!

leadbelly

Banned
I'm ready for an upgrade. One X or S3?

Again the One S is also worthy of consideration. HTC are marketing the One X as their flagship device because on paper it is the better spec phone. However, in reality it is a bit more complicated than that.The advantages the One S has over the One X is its smaller form factor, a Super AMOLED screen (qHD), and a dual-core Krait CPU. The GPU lets it down though, but then even if it was better, it still needs to have the software to take advantage of that GPU.

It's more of an alternative than simply a lower spec device.

besiktas1

Again the One S is also worthy of consideration. HTC are marketing the One X as their flagship device because on paper it is the better spec phone. However, in reality it is a bit more complicated than that.The advantages One S has over the One X is its smaller form factor, a Super AMOLED screen (qHD), and the a dual-core Krait CPU. The GPU lets it down though, but then even if it was better, it still needs to have the software to take advantage of that GPU.

It's more of an alternative than simply a lower spec device.

I like my things big. I so badly want the Note because of that glorious screen but for no reason because the paper says quad core I think the s3 will be better.

leadbelly

Banned
I like my things big. I so badly want the Note because of that glorious screen but for no reason because the paper says quad core I think the s3 will be better.

Well then, either the One X or the S3 would be fulfil your needs there. :p

Personally I would go for the S3, but it would mean waiting a bit longer for it to come out, and I imagine it will cost more on contract and sim-free. It will probably be a more powerful phone as well. It means nothing if there isn't the software to take advantage of it though. At least Nvidia are trying to make sure developers make full use of their chipset.

I just think they will be a little bit too big to carry around in your pocket.

I doubt your wifi only tablet has GPS inside, you might as get that $30 ZTE phone.

As for offline GPS, you can try co-pilot for free.

you must be thinking of iPads. most Wifi only Android tablets have GPS hardware. The Nook, Kindle and those $200 no-brand devices don't, but once you hit the Archos 80 G9 and up, they usually do.

Doopliss

Chrome is great on phones, but it's been really buggy on my Xoom tablet. It freezes all the time and has completely crashed the device multiple times. But it works nearly flawlessly on my Galaxy Nexus.
It's unusable on my GS2, crashes constantly. It works on the HP Touchpad but it's so much worse than the stock browser, the performance feels like one of the non-HW accelerated Gingerbread browsers.

I only device I've heard people say that it works well on is the GNexus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom