• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again the One S is also worthy of consideration. HTC are marketing the One X as their flagship device because on paper it is the better spec phone. However, in reality it is a bit more complicated than that.The advantages the One S has over the One X is its smaller form factor, a Super AMOLED screen (qHD), and a dual-core Krait CPU. The GPU lets it down though, but then even if it was better, it still needs to have the software to take advantage of that GPU.

It's more of an alternative than simply a lower spec device.

While it's definitely not a T-Mobile G1, it is definitely a lower spec'd device.

The Super AMOLED screen is not only lower res, it also has a Pentile matrix layout (even though it's not the regular RGB, it's still worse than the IPS SLCD2 that is in the One X, the same screen tech used in the LG Nitro, and the iPhone btw.

The US version of the One X has the highest spec Snapdragon S4 that is currently available, while the One S has a lower spec'd version of the same S4 series.

You can also note that the WiFi chip in the One S is only b/g/n, while the WiFi chip in the One X is a/b/g/n (2.4ghz and 5ghz WiFi).

If you get the One S, you're simply dealing with a lower spec'd phone. Although it is slimmer (and some would say better looking).

zedge

ORLY

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...-photo-of-the-galaxy-s-iii-the-plot-thickens/

According to the source, the SIII will have "two optional launchers," meaning users can choose to work with Samsung's TouchWiz overlay, or a stock ICS launcher. It isn't clear, however, whether this will last until the SIII's production run.

image_thumb58.png

Qualcomm launches ICS drivers for Adreno 2xx GPUs

Qualcomm just de-Qualcomm'ed themselves. This is pretty awesome news, and I hope it becomes normal behavior from mfgs.

This is good news for my Touchpad!

Wasn't sure if it had been hacked to work on HC or GB.

It can't be hacked to work on GB, Chrome uses the new drawing routines in ICS which aren't in GB. I guess they could hack it to work on HC if they really wanted to, but I doubt anybody wants to. Most HC tablets will be upgraded to ICS.

Ash_69

Here's a strange but pertinent question- is the transformer prime out yet in the UK?

Seriously, Asus must be the most fucking incompetent company ever when it comes to launches. I have still not seen one in shops and as a result, it's highly likely I'm going to bite and get the new ipad.

Any news on when Samsung is actually going to release a decent tablet that's comparable to the prime?

tino

Banned
Samsung is even copying Apple when it comes to ridiculous rumors, speculation and photoshops of their next phone. c'mon samsung, be original!

Nah. The next phrase of evolution is leak rumors through digitimes and lost a SIII in a bar. I hope they find some excuse to sue the assholes in BGR too.

tino

Banned
Here's a strange but pertinent question- is the transformer prime out yet in the UK?

Seriously, Asus must be the most fucking incompetent company ever when it comes to launches. I have still not seen one in shops and as a result, it's highly likely I'm going to bite and get the new ipad.

Any news on when Samsung is actually going to release a decent tablet that's comparable to the prime?

Asus is a much smaller company. It has serious supply chain disadvantage compare to the other players. If you want a 10" tablet, the iPad is still better than anything else. Unless you use the keyboard most of the time, then you need a Transformer.

Funny thing I tried to google "Transformer Infinite", and the first return is some Transformer music thing.

Nah. The next phrase of evolution is leak rumors through digitimes and lost a SIII in a bar. I hope they find some excuse to sue the assholes in BGR too.
the copying is never as good as the original though...

Asus is a much smaller company. It has serious supply chain disadvantage compare to the other players. If you want a 10" tablet, the iPad is still better than anything else. Unless you use the keyboard most of the time, then you need a Transformer.

Funny thing I tried to google "Transformer Infinite", and the first return is some Transformer music thing.

it's infinity :p

Donos

Galaxy S3 "leaks" reads like jesus-phone news. If this phone would land with this specs (and the option to choose launcher) this would destroy everything on the android hardware market. One X would compare like shit. But after the htc pyramid and Nexus rumor specs i take every smartphone "leak" with huge mountain of salt.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Anyone know an easy way to get pictures from a Droid x2 to a Mac. The external sd card doesn't show up in the file menu thing when connected by usb, so I had to copy to the internal storage before transfer which is annoying.

kehs

Banned
Anyone know an easy way to get pictures from a Droid x2 to a Mac. The external sd card doesn't show up in the file menu thing when connected by usb, so I had to copy to the internal storage before transfer which is annoying.

Dropbox or a file explorer over wifi.

xtop

Galaxy S3 "leaks" reads like jesus-phone news. If this phone would land with this specs (and the option to choose launcher) this would destroy everything on the android hardware market. One X would compare like shit. But after the htc pyramid and Nexus rumor specs i take every smartphone "leak" with huge mountain of salt.

a quad a9 cpu is nothing fancy. cramming more pixels into a tiny sensor isn't helping anything. 2gb is probably incorrect, and would it even provide anything over a 1gb phone? so that leaves us with being thinner than the one x and a bigger battery. what exactly does this destroy?

kehs

Banned
a quad a9 cpu is nothing fancy. cramming more pixels into a tiny sensor isn't helping anything. 2gb is probably incorrect, and would it even provide anything over a 1gb phone? so that leaves us with being thinner than the one x and a bigger battery. what exactly does this destroy?

The exynos has curb stomped every single soc.

So everything.

kehs

Banned
Will the US version probably will use Snapdragon S4 anyway, so the only difference to the One X is screen and thickness.

I'd be surprised if Samsung doesn't setup the next generation to play nice with LTE/HSPA+/etc.

Also Touchwiz.

beje

Banned
Chrome is working good in my Xperia Mini Pro. Just a little bit of choppiness around, which comes as no surprise taking into account I'm on an experimental ICS ROM but good enough to replace the stock browser.

Xdrive05

thinking of turning my OG droid into the world's most unnecessary alarm clock. Anyone have suggestions?

If you have any interest in an offline mapping/GPS program for your deactivated OG Droid try OruxMaps. You can download true unlimited map imagery data (from any source, Google, MS, etc.) via your home Wifi, save it to the phone and access it offline while hiking, running, or whatever.

Yeah, I've made it a project of mine to find good uses for my OG droid. :p

thespot84

If you have any interest in an offline mapping/GPS program for your deactivated OG Droid try OruxMaps. You can download true unlimited map imagery data (from any source, Google, MS, etc.) via your home Wifi, save it to the phone and access it offline while hiking, running, or whatever.

Yeah, I've made it a project of mine to find good uses for my OG droid. :p

also a great idea! I've used locus maps for something similar on my transformer, i'll have to check out oruxmaps too.

Donos

The combination of the possibility to choose vanilla ICS combined with high specs in every department is what would make it superior in my eyes. But i doubt that it will have this specs or even the option to choose launcher.

Since i didn't bite at the Nexus (had moneyproblems at launch) i'm looking forward to the One X / S3 battle. One S is nice too but fixed 16GB onboard aren't enough for me. (fuck this no microSD trend.Seriously!)

Cipherr

I'd be surprised if Samsung doesn't setup the next generation to play nice with LTE/HSPA+/etc.

Also Touchwiz.

Hey btw, which of the S2 US variants had the exynos and which did not? I thought only the LTE AT&T skyrocket and the T-Mobile version didnt have exynos, while the others did.

Circle T

Hey btw, which of the S2 US variants had the exynos and which did not? I thought only the LTE AT&T skyrocket and the T-Mobile version didnt have exynos, while the others did.

The AT&T Note has Qualcomm instead of the Exynos like its international brother. The Skyrocket HD will have Qualcomm as well, whenever it launches.

kehs

Banned
Hot diggity dog. Linux kernel to start merging android kernel on a bigger scale.

1.1. Android merge

Recommended LWN article: Bringing Android closer to the mainline

For a long time, code from the Android project has not been merged back to the Linux repositories due to disagreement between developers from both projects. Fortunately, after several years the differences are being ironed out. Various Android subsystems and features have already been merged, and more will follow in the future. This will make things easier for everybody, including the Android mod community, or Linux distributions that want to support Android programs.

http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.3#head-b733d694037e0b34ad47e1b5d38ebc4d1bd1d89f

Jellybean is going to be so boss.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Verge

Galaxy S III to have quad-core Exynos SoC with built-in LTE?
By Vlad Savov on March 19, 2012 10:30 am

It's based off a rumor from Korea, but it fits with the fact that US companies like AT&T are cock blocking non LTE chipsets, and Qualcom is trying to strong arm the market. This is basically a we internally fixed the problem that other phones like the HTC One X is having releasing in America. Of course everyone denied/would not comment on said rumors.

giga

The Verge

Galaxy S III to have quad-core Exynos SoC with built-in LTE?
By Vlad Savov on March 19, 2012 10:30 am

It's based off a rumor from Korea, but it fits with the fact that US companies like AT&T are cock blocking non LTE chipsets, and Qualcom is trying to strong arm the market. This is basically a we internally fixed the problem that other phones like the HTC One X is having releasing in America. Of course everyone denied/would not comment on said rumors.

We've written at length about Nvidia's problem of not having an LTE-compatible Tegra 3 configuration to offer to US carriers — a hurdle that's mostly been erected by Qualcomm's refusal to help a direct competitor integrate its LTE modems into the chip — and this news seems to show Samsung had the foresight to develop its own alternative in time for the GS III launch.
That's fucked. Qualcomm doesn't seem to have a problem with licensing their MDM chips to Apple.

Xyphie

That's fucked. Qualcomm doesn't seem to have a problem with licensing their MDM chips to Apple.

They don't have a problem licensing MDM parts to anyone, you just really can't build a LTE phone with them without a Snapdragon SoC until the new 28nm ones come out.

tino

Banned
They don't have a problem licensing MDM parts to anyone, you just really can't build a LTE phone with them without a Snapdragon SoC until the new 28nm ones come out.
Qualcomm is probably asking king's ransom to license the LTE portion of the patent porfolio, that's why nobody is willing to roll its own LTE radio except Motorola.

I expect Huawei will build its own radio as well, it has a lot of LTE patents.

OatmealMu

With HTC Sense, is there a way to stop Gracenote from downloading album art? I ripped a fairly old CD collection for my parents and am using Awesome Drop to transfer the files to the Flyer. Problem is, Gracenote wants to replace the album art I spent hours searching for.

Circle T

Really? Thats crazy. And the Snapdragon version has larger 4.5" screen? Makes no sense.

The normal one is just HSPA+, so the Exynos worked fine. It's basically exactly the international version, just with different buttons. The two Skyrocket versions, however, are both LTE, and as discussed recently in this thread, Samsung doesn't as of yet have an Exynos SoC that does LTE. Thus they are using (burdened with?) the Qualcomm SoC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom