• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Good news is if this Samsung news is true US customers can forgo their fears of getting another gimped phone, and/or having to wait a long time till something else came out that was a fix for the LTE chipset debacle.

Easily puts it a step above HTC's offering too IMO which means the HTC One X better get out sooner rather than later in the US IMO.

Vanillalite

Am I crazy for thinking by time Nvidia gets the Tegra stuff sorted out Tegra 3 won't be that OMFG of a hot chipset anyways?

Ashhong

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww YEA the kernel source for the Galaxy S2 is out, which means a proper working ICS rom for my AT&T GS2 is coming very very soon. cant wait!

Xyphie

So you expect Tegra 3 devices with MDM modems? Seems odd that Nvidia would announce a parternship with Renesas and GCT instead of Qualcomm.

There are plenty of Tegra devices that use MDM parts. I imagine the early MDM9615 parts are all booked by Apple for the iPhone "whatever-it'll-be-called" and that's why they have partnerships with other modem vendors.

giga

There are plenty of Tegra devices that use MDM parts. I imagine the early MDM9615 parts are all booked by Apple for the iPhone "whatever-it'll-be-called" and that's why they have partnerships with other modem vendors.
Which Tegra 3 devices have an LTE MDM modem?

Cipherr

Good news is if this Samsung news is true US customers can forgo their fears of getting another gimped phone, and/or having to wait a long time till something else came out that was a fix for the LTE chipset debacle.

Easily puts it a step above HTC's offering too IMO which means the HTC One X better get out sooner rather than later in the US IMO.

I was just thinking that. Samsungs own chip with LTE for the States? That right there is yet another leg over HTC. Assuming its true, its going to be 2011 all over again. S3 will likely dominate the year with HTC and the rest playing catch up.

Schlep

Maybe if HTC spent more time streamlining their hardware and software instead of releasing bloated updates that break shit, they'd be in the lead. My Evo is a pain in the ass to use now, and the only thing that's holding me back from upgrading is Sprint rolling out LTE in Dallas.

Vanillalite

Maybe if HTC spent more time streamlining their hardware and software instead of releasing bloated updates that break shit, they'd be in the lead. My Evo is a pain in the ass to use now, and the only thing that's holding me back from upgrading is Sprint rolling out LTE in Dallas.

My GF loves her Inspire 4G, but it hasn't been without problems. The gingerbread update fucked up so much shit on her phone. Really it's not the phone she likes but just the bigger screen + access to free medscape for school.

Dreaver

My contract ends next month. I can get a new phone right now, what would you guys do: Buy the Galaxy Nexus now or wait for the S3?

http://blog.laptopmag.com/tablet-chip-showdown-nvidia-tegra-3-vs-the-new-ipads-a5x

Z5dTC.jpg

that's the only benchmark Tegra 3 won

Vanillalite

So at this point really it's a two phone year outside of whatever MS does. It's either get an iPhone 5 or get the GSIII. Makes you wonder if anyone else should even bother other than targeting a low cost market or PAYG.

Doopliss

I think the rumours have been saying that the GS3 will be Cortex A9 (albeit quad-core), so there should be Cortex A15 phones that release later in the year which beat it.

tino

Banned
So at this point really it's a two phone year outside of whatever MS does. It's either get an iPhone 5 or get the GSIII. Makes you wonder if anyone else should even bother other than targeting a low cost market or PAYG.

Moto hasn't shot its load yet.

Also Huawei D Quad XL.

Sagitario

I have been using MIUI ICS since Friday and while pretty, I am disappointed by it. It has way too many bugs for my taste, particularly a killer one with the torch/lamp (it also lacks options for customization).

Are there any other good ICS roms for the Galaxy SII?

panda21

just installed the latest CM9 nightly that uses the Samsung kernel sources on my SGS2 and now Chrome beta works beautifully :D no more force closes

Dizzan

MINI Member
just installed the latest CM9 nightly that uses the Samsung kernel sources on my SGS2 and now Chrome beta works beautifully :D no more force closes

Does video recording and GPS work yet. I can't wait to install it but these are 2 important features for me...

Ashhong

I have been using MIUI ICS since Friday and while pretty, I am disappointed by it. It has way too many bugs for my taste, particularly a killer one with the torch/lamp (it also lacks options for customization).

Are there any other good ICS roms for the Galaxy SII?

You realize there is more than one GS2 right? Which version do you have

Without ads, Android apps could be more than twice as power-efficient

A team of researchers from Purdue University and Microsoft has discovered that up to 75 percent of app-related battery drain in Android can be caused by ad-serving processes. Led by Abhinav Pathak, the team developed an energy profiler named EProf, which is able to perform fine-grained analysis of the battery use of any Android app, separating each thread inside and recording its energy use. The team tested five popular Android applications including Angry Birds, FreeChess, and the New York Times app using a HTC Passion (Nexus One) running Android 2.3.

In testing Angry Birds, Pathak recorded energy usage for one level of gameplay, and found that less than 30 percent of the app's battery drain was caused by the game itself. The other 70 percent was consumed by the uploading of user information metrics, location, and downloading and displaying of adverts. Pathak notes that although the user profiling occurs only once, new adverts are displayed with each level, causing similar battery drain to occur throughout gameplay.

In FreeChess — a game downloaded over 10 million times — the team started a game and profiled a 33-second period. The test yielded similar results. with around 70 percent of battery drain being caused by ad-related processes. It wasn't only ad-serving apps that wasted battery life on non-essential functions, however, with both the native browser and the New York Times app expending around 15 percent of their total usage performing user tracking.

Pathak explained to us that the team's objective wasn't to expose any particular app or advertising agency for using too much energy, but rather to develop software that can help developers and advertisers to improve the efficiency of their software. Android ads don't have to consume so much energy — they're just poorly coded at the moment, the study suggested. The team plans to release the EProf tool for free under an open-source license soon.

saunderez

Does video recording and GPS work yet. I can't wait to install it but these are 2 important features for me...

GPS does as far as I know (it looks like its working for me right now) but negative on the video camera. Samsung does some dirty hacks to get that working apparently.

zedge

GPS does as far as I know (it looks like its working for me right now) but negative on the video camera. Samsung does some dirty hacks to get that working apparently.

Gah! So close, when this is fixed I am jumping in to CM9. So disappointed with the Touch Wiz coated ICS update.

Fox Mulder

so i just got an email from verizon about an offer to upgrade early and get $100 off any LTE phone. I'd need to call in or visit a store for the offer, as it's not online.

Pretty much the Razr maxx or nexus for verizon right?

Doopliss

Damn, it won't get past the initial boot logo without a data wipe. I'm not really in the mood for setting everything up again right now, I always forget about a few things and then it's a hassle when I need them and they're not there.

Thank god for nandroid backups.

Ripclawe

Banned
so ZTE cricket score is easy to root but I can't find a rom that will work on it. I can't even reboot into the recovery menu which is weird. Other than that it makes for a nice cheap wifi/mp3 device for 30 bucks..

Vanillalite

A follow up GSIII rumor....

Take this with a grain of salt, and I'm starting to feel like the rumor mill is getting out of control BUT....

The Verge!

Will Samsung's Galaxy S III come standard with wireless charging?

By Sean Hollister on March 19, 2012 08:14 pm

"but anonymous sources tell DDaily that the Galaxy S III will include the technology out of the box."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom