• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
So the benefit of on-screen buttons is... the network gets to slap an extra large logo on the front. Thanks, Google, for this fine addition to Android.

Yup, that's all you can do.

q8NoO.jpg

Ripclawe

Banned
A follow up GSIII rumor....

Take this with a grain of salt, and I'm starting to feel like the rumor mill is getting out of control BUT....

The Verge!

Will Samsung's Galaxy S III come standard with wireless charging?

By Sean Hollister on March 19, 2012 08:14 pm

"but anonymous sources tell DDaily that the Galaxy S III will include the technology out of the box."

gogeta-ssj4-fusion-o.gif

Ashhong

Doesn't sound so far fetched. The Touchpad (and I'm assuming many other devices that I don't know) had it standard for a while now.

If you cared less about incremental 4.0.x updates, that would be great.

Rigghhhtttt. Cos it's not like 4.03 onwards speeds up autorotate and
vastly increases performance of multitasking and improves the browser too. Y'know things I use every day on my Galaxy Nexus and would make positive and significant differences to my user experience. Plus a whole heap of other stuff. It's not like AOSP 4.03 has been on release for like 2 months now. It's not like Asus, HTC and Samsung have released official 4.03 roms for non Nexus phones. I'm obviously going totally over the top for asking Google to communicate better as to when Nexus owners can expect a rough idea of what is going on with the GSM updates :-/

Al-ibn Kermit

It massively lost the GLP benchmark and it also slightly lost in the sunspider benchmark, although the sunspider one is dependent on the type of browser you're using.

Overall, the Tegra 3 basically has the better CPU and the A5X has the better GPU. I wonder if they're going to use the A5X in the next iPhone as you don't need such GPU power in a screen with that resolution.

Blackhead

Redarse

Take this with a grain of salt, and I'm starting to feel like the rumor mill is getting out of control BUT....

The Verge!

"but anonymous sources tell DDaily that the Galaxy S III will include the technology out of the box."

Yep. On the other hand, I'm almost as hyped for the unveiling as I usually am for an Apple event. If Samsung actually delivers (phone and tablet) it would be epic. I hope with all these crazy rumors swirling around that Samsung doesn't forget the basics. I'd rather have a plastic phone with led notifications and a shutter button than a ceramic phone with fancy wireless editing...

Doesn't sound so far fetched. The Touchpad (and I'm assuming many other devices that I don't know) had it standard for a while now.
All Palm/HP inductive charging devices were made with a plastic backing though. Has any been made of ceramic?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'll say this. After seeing the GSII, GN, and ICS the perfect storm might have created a hype train for an Android device like none other. The pre release hype for this seems EXTREMELY high.

kehs

Banned
I'm super interested in seeing their new touch wiz (this is a serious comment).

They found their own thing with the GS 2 and it looks clean.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

The Verge!

Apparently, Samsung's technology will even work when the device isn't physically touching the charging surface, as far as a meter or two away

What is this, MAGIC?!!??

Sagitario

I have been using MIUI ICS since Friday and while pretty, I am disappointed by it. It has way too many bugs for my taste, particularly a killer one with the torch/lamp (it also lacks options for customization).

Are there any other good ICS roms for the Galaxy SII [international/original version]?

Anyone?

yogloo

So I just got my ipad back and I'm back to using my phone only for voice call and text messaging. I'm extremely impressed with the battery life. It's a galaxy note on ICS.

TfhoB.png

courtesy of the Apps for Android |OT|

FoxFi - WiFi/Bluetooth tethering without root access! Seriously!

Enables WiFi or Bluetooth Hotspot on your Android phone without a Hotspot plan from your carrier. No rooting required! Just install and turn it on. Bluetooth mode works for all phones. WiFi mode currently works on most Samsung phones and Motorola phones. WiFi mode does NOT work on Motorola Droid 1, Triumph, Samsung Admire or any HTC phones, use Bluetooth mode instead.

a friend of mine mentioned this app to me and i was amazed to see that it exists and works.

leadbelly

Banned
While it's definitely not a T-Mobile G1, it is definitely a lower spec'd device.

The Super AMOLED screen is not only lower res, it also has a Pentile matrix layout (even though it's not the regular RGB, it's still worse than the IPS SLCD2 that is in the One X, the same screen tech used in the LG Nitro, and the iPhone btw.

The US version of the One X has the highest spec Snapdragon S4 that is currently available, while the One S has a lower spec'd version of the same S4 series.

You can also note that the WiFi chip in the One S is only b/g/n, while the WiFi chip in the One X is a/b/g/n (2.4ghz and 5ghz WiFi).

If you get the One S, you're simply dealing with a lower spec'd phone. Although it is slimmer (and some would say better looking).

Well, if it's a pentile display that would be disappointing. That is not something I was aware of at the time, but then it has only been just announced. In terms of resolution I am fully aware it is a lower res screen. That is why I put 'qHD' in brackets. qHD however is a pretty decent resolution for a 4.3 inch screen. It is the same resolution as my sensation XE in fact. I was looking at it more in terms of overall quality of the screen. In other words, the One S has the advantage of super AMOLED while the One X has the advantage of a higher resolution screen. It is an alternative rather than necessarily a downgrade. qhD is more than adequate though.

However, pentile does change things a little.

Of course I was looking at it in terms of the One X having a Tegra 3 chipset. Wasn't aware of the other version. It is unclear if the snapdragon version will make it to the UK (perhaps not) so could be irrelevant to me anyway. Could be irrelevant to anyone outside of US even.

Do you have a link for the pentile screen information?

Kade

During a credit card authorization, the Android Market crashed and now I have to pay for the app again if I want to install it. :/

Thanks for not waiting for the transaction to finish to tell me that you changed the icon and name for the Android Market, Google.

Ocho

Seconded. Latest nightly based on Samsung's ICS source is really good and so much better than the god-awful crap Samsung released last week.

How so? I'm genuinely curious. I'm running official ICS on my SGSII and find it decent so far.

Just got the ICS update for my GS2 on Three (UK). Pretty meh overall although it is snappier and I've now downloaded Chrome for android, which is awesome. Will be installing CM9 or Pure ICS as soon as the bugs are ironed out.

SimleuqiR

How so? I'm genuinely curious. I'm running official ICS on my SGSII and find it decent so far.

He probably means this:

Just got the ICS update for my GS2 on Three (UK). Pretty meh overall although it is snappier and I've now downloaded Chrome for android, which is awesome. Will be installing CM9 or Pure ICS as soon as the bugs are ironed out.

Not everyone is into that iPhone coat of paint.

Toki767

4 months to go till I can get a new phone. My Captivate is starting to show its age when running certain apps. Hopefully by July the GSIII will be out in the US.

He probably means this:

Not everyone is into that iPhone coat of paint.

Of all the manufacturer skins I've encountered, TW on the GS2 is the lesser evil but it has always found a way to frustrate me everyday I've had it after coming from my N1. Amazed I've waited this long to root but made do with ADW for a while.

During a credit card authorization, the Android Market crashed and now I have to pay for the app again if I want to install it. :/

Thanks for not waiting for the transaction to finish to tell me that you changed the icon and name for the Android Market, Google.

That happened to me once. I put the phone down and thought I'll get the game later.

4 hours later the game was automatically downloaded.

Rooted my SGS2 and installed Pure ICS. Seems great so far, will have to get used to a few things after being institutionalised by Touchwiz for the past 8 months.

kehs

Banned
I guess I'm gonna stop being a cheapskate and buy Agenda Widget from the play store. The latest update to the play store broke the link with the getjar download. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom