• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned

I like how the app developers are trying to solve the multitasking interface before google does.

What I want is truly interactive notification bar. I think most of the multi-window need can be solve by a more powerful notification bar.

If you can implement-widget like control interface on the notification area and make it sticky, then you can do a lot of thing like control music, monitoring info, or chat with a narrow window stick on the top or on the side.

kehs

Banned
I like how the app developers are trying to solve the multitasking interface before google does.

What I want is truly interactive notification bar. I think most of the multi-window need can be solve by a more powerful notification bar.

If you can implement-widget like control interface on the notification area and make it sticky, then you can do a lot of thing like control music, monitoring info, or chat with a narrow window stick on the top or on the side.

Thats one of the biggest things they added in hc and ics, rich notifications. Thats why you can have notification power widgets. You can control music now by the way.

http://db.tt/zYGioWxy

Haha, its not a joke, I do actually use it. I've always loved the homescreen styling on WP7 I just never liked the text stuff inside of apps.
Oh, lol.

I like the WP7 home screen as well, but it just seems so incohesive with the rest of Android; I couldn't use it for more than a second on my old Galaxy S lol.

kehs

Banned
Oh, lol.

I like the WP7 home screen as well, but it just seems so incohesive with the rest of Android; I couldn't use it for more than a second on my old Galaxy S lol.

It kinda works now with ics to be honest, with all the flat shading "magazine style" stuff.

I occassionally go back to the regular launcher and cant get used to it.

JCX

Foxify doesn't work on wifi mode on my 3VO. Think I'm going to break my htc smartphone chain going back to my t-mobile Shadow and by the SGIII when it's out for Sprint. Samsung seems to be the top android phone maker at the moment.

I'll be switching to Verizon to take advantage of the 4G double data and as a result I'll be switching from an iPhone to an android device.

Now I've narrowed it down to either a Rezound or a nexus. I like the rezound hardware a bit more but obviously stock ics is super slick.

Does anyone have any opinion on this if I were to root and flash the rezound with a stock ICS build (senseless) versus a nexus?

Would it run the stock Rom the same as a nexus in terms of smoothness and stability?

Ashhong

I now really appreciate the fact that you can install apps on Android using a desktop and the Play website. My gf just got the Nexus S and I am installing the necessary apps on her phone from 60 miles away. Neat

Threi

notag
man the fact that the infuse community has to donate money and phones to try to get some sort of ICS (which will more than likely be on a hacked up gingerbread kernel with no working bluetooth or camera) makes me sad. This phone deserves so much more but got the shaft hard. It's basically an overclocked GS1 with a better screen, battery, and camera but different internal bluetooth. I'd say its the best single-core phone on the market, even if that doesn't mean anything anymore. Samsung finally updated it from froyo to gingerbread, pulled the update a couple days later, and never spoke of it again.

For extra salt on the wound my dad comes with his old-ass iphone saying it has a software update available.

Al-ibn Kermit

man the fact that the infuse community has to donate money and phones to try to get some sort of ICS (which will more than likely be on a hacked up gingerbread kernel with no working bluetooth or camera) makes me sad. This phone deserves so much more but got the shaft hard. It's basically an overclocked GS1 with a better screen, battery, but different internal bluetooth. I'd say its the best single-core phone on the market, even if that doesn't mean anything anymore. Samsung finally updated it from froyo to gingerbread, pulled the update a couple days later, and never spoke of it again.

For extra salt on the wound my dad comes with his old-ass iphone saying it has a software update available.
I kinda wish every manufacture would release at least one nexus phone a year. Would give us more consistency as far as software but also more choices as far as when to upgrade and what type of hardware we want.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
why? What's wrong with appreciating the features of another system?

Pft, that's not that funny. The funny is all the people so vehemently not wanting other people's wishes to come true even when any additions would be optional and would cost them nothing.

Thats one of the biggest things they added in hc and ics, rich notifications. Thats why you can have notification power widgets. You can control music now by the way.

http://db.tt/zYGioWxy

speaking of ICS

<3 CM9 and those nice config options like play controls in notification and long press of volume buttons to skip tracks when the screen is off

<3 Team Epic 4g, those peeps put in some WORK to get the Epic in CM!

DHIl1.png

Foxify doesn't work on wifi mode on my 3VO. Think I'm going to break my htc smartphone chain going back to my t-mobile Shadow and by the SGIII when it's out for Sprint. Samsung seems to be the top android phone maker at the moment.

well, if you mean FoxFi, they straight up say it doesn't work with HTC devices.

rozay

Banned
I haven't seen anyone come up with notification power widgets that don't take up a good portion of the screen and go with the format of the date, and while I would actively use them I keep them off :(

thespot84

Pft, that's not that funny. The funny is all the people so vehemently not wanting other people's wishes to come true even when any additions would be optional and would cost them nothing.

they specifically don't want something if it's already on android. It's mind blowing.

Vyer

they specifically don't want something if it's already on android. It's mind blowing.

seems like an exaggeration. There are plenty of people in there who like a feature of Android and would like to see something similar. Others who don't have an interest and have other areas to focus on. I don't see anything wrong with that and it kinda seems like the point of the discussion.

Hey Android brethren,
anyone have any experience with these Chinese 7" droid tablets? Thinking of getting one for the Mrs for her birthday, something like Ainol Novo 7 Elf, or anything else around the £100-150 mark.

She'd only use it for light browsing and playing free games, so I don't need a powerhouse.

Hey Android brethren,
anyone have any experience with these Chinese 7" droid tablets? Thinking of getting one for the Mrs for her birthday, something like Ainol Novo 7 Elf, or anything else around the £100-150 mark.

She'd only use it for light browsing and playing free games, so I don't need a powerhouse.

i'd suggest shelling a few bucks more for at least an Archos

besiktas1

I have had an Ainol Aurora for about 3 weeks. great little tab. Looking to sell it though because I have an ipad and not using it as much as I thought.

IPS screen. ICS clean rom. 16gb + room for SD card.

kehs

Banned
Hey Android brethren,

Not sure how much that is in dollars, but Toshibas thrive can be had for $250 right now. Though it's ten inch, and I'm not sure if the seller will do international shipping.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...gb-for-250-from-ebay-daily-deals-50-off-msrp/

I have had an Ainol Aurora for about 3 weeks. great little tab. Looking to sell it though because I have an ipad and not using it as much as I thought.

IPS screen. ICS clean rom. 16gb + room for SD card.

Interesting, the Elf has the same innards and ICS but a non-ips display. How did you find general performance and build quality?

Not sure how much that is in dollars, but Toshibas thrive can be had for $250 right now. Though it's ten inch, and I'm not sure if the seller will do international shipping.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...gb-for-250-from-ebay-daily-deals-50-off-msrp/

Interesting, but with duty import, intl. shipping and ebay/paypal's currency rates I don't think it'll be such a good deal. :(

thespot84

seems like an exaggeration. There are plenty of people in there who like a feature of Android and would like to see something similar. Others who don't have an interest and have other areas to focus on. I don't see anything wrong with that and it kinda seems like the point of the discussion.

yes I am painting with a broad brush, however there's a general sentiment from a number of people in there that there are possible features that are 'bad'.

Also the notion that apple has to ration programmer time when they just announced a $100 BILLION dividend is absurd.

tino

Banned
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to buy the cheapest starter Android phone I can get my hands on for Verizon (to use on PagePlus) and I've narrowed it down to the LG Enlighten and LG Vortex. If you had to choose between these two which would you pick?

Comparison: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/LG-Enlighten,LG-Vortex/phones/5883,4912

I'm also willing to check out any alternative phones in the same low end price range. Thanks!

These are pretty low spec phones. You should get a used or refub Droid 1. Unlocked bootloader and very big user community.

kehs

Banned
Hi all. I think I've decided to get myself either a galaxy nexus or a rezound on a new Verizon family plan contract.

My wife wants a iPhone 4s.

Does anyone know where I could buy both for the best price?

Places like wirefly and amazon have amazing prices on android phones but don't carry apple products :( I really don't want to have to spend $200+ more dollars on my phone because my wife wants an iPhone.

Any ideas?

Goldrush

Hey Android brethren,

My parents got a couple and couldn't stand it and got a more mainstream Android tablet. The lack of google play market and horrible touch screen are common in the low end.

derder

Hi all. I think I've decided to get myself either a galaxy nexus or a rezound on a new Verizon family plan contract.

My wife wants a iPhone 4s.

Does anyone know where I could buy both for the best price?

Places like wirefly and amazon have amazing prices on android phones but don't carry apple products :( I really don't want to have to spend $200+ more dollars on my phone because my wife wants an iPhone.

Any ideas?
My friends (who are married) just went to bestbuy last week to buy Verizon iphone 4s and galaxy nexus on the same family plan.

Korey

These are pretty low spec phones. You should get a used or refub Droid 1. Unlocked bootloader and very big user community.

Really? A phone that old is better than these semi-newer ones?

How much are you looking to spend?

Like $50-70

Trying to find one that's in pretty much mint to new condition, it's tough. But I don't mind having a lower end phone. I won't be using a data plan, only wifi.

zoku88

Like $50-70

Trying to find one that's in pretty much mint to new condition, it's tough. But I don't mind having a lower end phone. I won't be using a data plan, only wifi.

Doesn't Verizon force data plans on their smartphones?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Doesn't Verizon force data plans on their smartphones?

They do. But I think he will use it on another network. I think it will be very hard to find a new phone from verizon for that cheap without being locked into a plan of some sort.

Any ideas?

You can always start a plan of one phone on Amazon and get a cheap price, then go to bestbuy or call verizon and add a 4s to an existing plan (next day or whatnot).

tino

Banned

Much better screen, same CPU speed.

Like $50-70

Why don't you buy that ZTE phone for $30. Read up on the older posts.

If your budget is 70 you can even get an used Droid X. But keep in mind the Droid is much easier to do custom ROM than Droid X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom