• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any body here use Widget Locker?

I have tried golocker and milocker and they are both buggy. A lot of times the lock screen won't bother showing up. They also do not work well with the power amp lockscreen.

Also go locker mi locker seem to drain the battery.

Geeker

I managed to get my beloved HTC Desire stolen and im looking for a new unlocked and used phone. My budget is roughly 200 - 230 dollars and I have looked at the HTC Inspire 4G as a potential candidate. Used phones on Amazon around 220 - 230.

What are peoples experiences with that phone? I should also add it must be a GSM phone as im only in the states temporarily where I use Simple Mobile, and plan to bring it back to Europe when my semester is finished.

They do. But I think he will use it on another network. I think it will be very hard to find a new phone from verizon for that cheap without being locked into a plan of some sort.

You can always start a plan of one phone on Amazon and get a cheap price, then go to bestbuy or call verizon and add a 4s to an existing plan (next day or whatnot).

Wouldn't that change the original plan that I signed up on amazon with and trigger their $250 fee?

kehs

Banned
Really? A phone that old is better than these semi-newer ones?

Like $50-70

Trying to find one that's in pretty much mint to new condition, it's tough. But I don't mind having a lower end phone. I won't be using a data plan, only wifi.

That's a tough price, I'd personally look for an used phone. A quick check brings up and HTC incredible for $70.

If you're not planning on using the data, have you looked at a local GSM provider? GSM phones are alot easier to find in that price range and for better hardware.

------

13.3" Toshiba tablet
that dream, for obvious reasons, neglected to mention an erectable TV antenna. (Wat the reception any good?)

-----

The emulator is seeing some big improvements as well:
Thanks to contributions to AOSP from Intel, the emulator now supports running x86 system images in virtualization mode on Windows and Mac OS X. This allows the emulator running at near native speed. The drivers are available through the SDK Manager. Read more here.

http://android-developers.blogspot....=Feed:+blogspot/hsDu+(Android+Developers+Blog)

tino

Banned
That's a tough price, I'd personally look for an used phone. A quick check brings up and HTC incredible for $70.

If you're not planning on using the data, have you looked at a local GSM provider? GSM phones are alot easier to find in that price range and for better hardware.
From my experience, CDMA version of the same phone is usually cheaper than the GSM version.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Wouldn't that change the original plan that I signed up on amazon with and trigger their $250 fee?

Not at all. Because the additional line (hers) is a separate contract. Your contract still stands unchanged.

Yes, she will have an activation/upgrade date one day later than yours, but who cares one o two years down the line.

Another thing to try is call Verizon as they also have 1 year contracts for new customers/new lines. And the phones are usually only 20-30 more than one a two year plan. So it may be worth it if you want to upgrade in one year.

Izayoi

Banned
So I've got a question for you guys. I'm trying to stream videos from my PC via PS3 Media Server to my Fire. I'm using Skifta right now as the Android app part, and it picks up all of my folders and files, even renders thumbnails of the videos, but when I try to play them it tells me "Unable to locate compatible media player for item format."

I would imagine that it's similar for most Android devices, but I just can't seem to get it to work. I'm forcing it into MPEGAC3 and MP3, as well as properly setting resolution, but it still won't work. Any ideas? I'm open to something other than PS3 Media Server, so long as it supports subtitles.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm super embarrassed to ask this, but uh, how do I set a custom ringtone?

>_>

Preferably using Google (Play) Music.

I'm getting a new phone soon, just want to make sure if my choice is correct. I'm in korea right now and I have a choice between the S2 LTE and a Nexus. It's my understanding the Galaxy S2 is the best, correct? But, there is no unlimited data plan for LTE phones here and I would paying about $10 more every month for the S2. Is there really much of a difference on an LTE network to make this worth it? Its unlimited data on a Nexus vs 3gb on S2LTE plus $10 more. I've never owned a smart phone so I dunno if 3gb is a lot or not. Right now I'm leaning towards the Nexus. Please help!

zbeeb

>_>

Preferably using Google (Play) Music.

It won't work with Google music, but if you download an app called ringdroid, you can cut any mp3 to a 30s block and set it as a ringtone

saunderez

All you need to do is copy your ringtone/notification into one of the following folders. If the folders don't exist just create them.

/sdcard/media/notifications
/sdcard/media/ringtones

Then it will appear in the dialogs in Settings.

Sup GAF. I can finally get a new phone next month, but I cant choose between Sony Xperia S, Galaxy Nexus and HTC One X. Currently using a desire hd since 2010.

Xperia S has a great camera and display. But still android 2.3 :/. I know it is going to have an upgrade to ICS but you never know with Sony when they will actually release it.

Nexus has a great design and screen. Also stock Android ICS which is great. But I heard it has a shitty camera.

Finally the HTC one X. Has a dual core and nice screen. But I don't know if I want another HTC again, not a fan of sense. (I know I can root it later and flash different rom)

Last option is to wait 2 more months to see what samsung is gonna bring with the galaxy s3.

longdi

Banned
flashed my sgs2 to ics 4.0.3 and it runs a tad less responsive than the stock g.nexus with missing features, all in all, my 'new' sgs2 felt a little fatty with less ics imo. the touch lags like a ms or so and the s-loo-w tab switching jumps straight in my face, camera becomes a tad sluggish and battery drain when surfing the internet is worse... aside from the nicer looking fonts etc, i felt gb 2.3.6 on sgs2 is comparable to ics 4.0.3.

android/google/samsung need to sort this kind of bad user experience out if not i hope they get punished in the long run....sgs2 specs are more than enough to rival g.nexus but why the new os dont run well?

Woot! Thanks for answering my question (though I appreciate everyone else's advice as well!)

Yes, they do. Almost all Verizon phones work. There's a forum on HowardForums for them: http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/364-Page-Plus-Cellular

oh, cool!

Sup GAF. I can finally get a new phone next month, but I cant choose between Sony Xperia S, Galaxy Nexus and HTC One X. Currently using a desire hd since 2010.

Xperia S has a great camera and display. But still android 2.3 :/. I know it is going to have an upgrade to ICS but you never know with Sony when they will actually release it.

Nexus has a great design and screen. Also stock Android ICS which is great. But I heard it has a shitty camera.

Finally the HTC one X. Has a dual core and nice screen. But I don't know if I want another HTC again, not a fan of sense. (I know I can root it later and flash different rom)

Last option is to wait 2 more months to see what samsung is gonna bring with the galaxy s3.
the camera on the GNEX isn't really shitty, it's just not as good compared to the better cameras on those other phones.

flashed my sgs2 to ics 4.0.3 and it runs a less responsive than the stock g.nexus, felt a little fatty imo. the touch screen lags like a ms or so and the s-loo-w tab switching jumps straight in my face, camera becomes a tad sluggish and battery drain when surfing the internet is worse... android/google/samsung need to sort this kind of bad user experience out if not i hope they get punished in the long run....sgs2 specs are more than enough to rival g.nexus but why the new os dont run as well?

Touchwiz?

more like half assed..
i know sgs3 is gonna be big but if this is how samsung/google wants user to change a new phone to enjoy the new os, i think that sucks in the spirit of geek rage.

try CM9 if it's available, i bet there's a world of difference...

it's pretty awesome on my Epic 4G (GS1).

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Advice needed.

I'm on Verizon and am looking to replace my original Droid. It's too slow and it's starting to crap out on me. I don't want to spend more than $100. What's the best phone I can get? I want something with a large screen and is thin and light. Is the Bionic a good reliable phone?

flashed my sgs2 to ics 4.0.3 and it runs a tad less responsive than the stock g.nexus with missing features, all in all, my 'new' sgs2 felt a little fatty with less ics imo. the touch lags like a ms or so and the s-loo-w tab switching jumps straight in my face, camera becomes a tad sluggish and battery drain when surfing the internet is worse... aside from the nicer looking fonts etc, i felt gb 2.3.6 on sgs2 is comparable to ics 4.0.3.

android/google/samsung need to sort this kind of bad user experience out if not i hope they get punished in the long run....sgs2 specs are more than enough to rival g.nexus but why the new os dont run well?

Because Touchwiz lol. Samsung basically converted ICS back to GB for their Touchwiz skin.

Next time keep the Galaxy Nexus and enjoy an out-of-box stock Android experience. Lesson learned.

Advice needed.

I'm on Verizon and am looking to replace my original Droid. It's too slow and it's starting to crap out on me. I don't want to spend more than $100. What's the best phone I can get? I want something with a large screen and is thin and light. Is the Bionic a good reliable phone?

I echo this. It seems the best options for cheap Android phones are SE Xperia Mini or HTC Explorer (I'm in Europe). But those have 320*480 screens - is that bearable?

tino

Banned

I would go with One X. Replacing Sense should be pretty easy. I would only consider Xperia S if the battery life is really longer. Nexus is crippled with no SD card.

Advice needed.

Bionic only has a 4" screen.

Droid X has a 4.3".

If you double up your budget you may be able to find a Razr on ebay.

Advice needed.

Bionic is a good choice and it's $49.99 ($79.99 for 32GB version) on Amazon for existing VZW customers.

also, the LG Spectrum is $89.99 on Wirefly for existing VZW customers.

If you're going to the trouble of flashing, why would you flash a gimped rom? CM9 or Pure 7.1 are much better.

Zeppu

http://www.sammobile.com/2012/03/20/is-this-touchwiz-5-0-or-just-googles-own-skin/

G0zCH.png

So I've been looking at this image some more. Why would Samsung even use this?

It's got an ICS buttons and ICS-dock but the notification bar icons and search aren't ICS. As someone pointed out the notification count on FBs icon isn't stock android either.

What's the point of using that image? Why not show a proper touchwiz screenshot or a stock android screenshot than that mess?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
All you need to do is copy your ringtone/notification into one of the following folders. If the folders don't exist just create them.

/sdcard/media/notifications
/sdcard/media/ringtones

Then it will appear in the dialogs in Settings.

This is such lameness. Can't believe such a thing was overlooked by Google/Duarte.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
another "leak". Place your bets people!

nVlmfl.jpg

Make of it what you will but we just got a photo claimed to be of the Samsung GT-i9300, and also to be the "real deal". While it looks convincing enough, dolled up in its Android Ice Cream Sandwich UI with a whiff of the usual TouchWiz overlay apps, we haven't figured out which phone is the GT-i9300 codename supposed to represent.

The GT-i9100 is the Samsung Galaxy S II, while GT-i9250 is the Galaxy Nexus. One would only expect the GT-i9300 to be the long-anticipated Samsung Galaxy S III, but let's not forget the leaked UAP profile on Samsung's website, which listed it with 1024x600 pixels of resolution, and crushed all our hopes and dreams. Still, the UAP might have been just a placeholder, and Samsung subsequently took it down, so let's see what we have in the latest leak.

Samsung GT-i9300 photo leaks, leaves us wondering if this is the Samsung Galaxy S III
First off, the device certainly looks in line with the Galaxy S portfolio design heritage, but we have the Android ICS on-screen navigational key strip and seemingly buttonless front. On the software front, it is definitely TouchWiz-ed Ice Cream Sandwich with Samsung's Music and Video Hubs, the S Memo, S Planner and S Suggest apps. The screen looks big, fitting with the rumored 4.6/4.7" size, especially when you consider the usual front buttons are now virtual.

The biggest surprise is the Samsung logo moved now underneath the display, which makes it a very different beast than the rest of the Galaxy line. Only US carrier models had the Samsung logo below the screen so far, like on the AT&T's Galaxy S II or the Galaxy S II Skyrocket, for example, and there is no carrier logo up top here.

What makes as a bit perplexed is that the screen is certainly not bezelless, or even with a thin bezel, so it's more than likely not the rumored Galaxy B. Still, there is also what looks to be a protective bumper or case around the sides (we wouldn't imagine this to be part of the phone's design), preventing the exploration of the handset in more details to draw further conclusions.

Let's not forget that we also had a leaked photo from supposedly a Samsung GT-i9500 back in December, and we also had brief appearance of a GT-i9800 model, so this here might be a different than the SGS III, yet upcoming handset from the Galaxy line. What do you think about it?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...g-if-this-is-the-Samsung-Galaxy-S-III_id28323

panda21

chrome beta is magical now that it works on CM9 on SGS2. the card stack tab browsing is amazing.

if they make an iOS version I'll jump ship for sure.

Circle T

Awwwwwww yea!!!

Droid-Life said:
Google Voice Update Brings Android 4.0 Integration – Playback Options, Access From Dialer, and New UI

Since we saw Android 4.0 unveiled in Hong Kong last October, we have been waiting patiently for Google Voice integration into the dialer or contacts. That time is now. Once you update to the latest version in the Play Store, you can flag the “Voicemail display” box in GV Settings to turn your dialer into an instant voicemail center.

As you can see in the photos above, your dialer will then attach to your contacts that have left you messages in Google Voice, giving you the ability to play voicemails without having to enter the GV app. From this new voicemail screen, you can slow down or speed up messages, delete them, and call or text the person. The app itself has also been skinned to match ICS styling while allowing for much swifter navigation.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/03/2...playback-options-access-from-dialer-and-more/

tino

Banned
Is there any aftermarket extended battery that take up the whole back of the phone?

What I want to know is besides Raze Maxx, is there any android phone that you can buy an extended battery that instead of give the ugly hunchback, spread out and cover the whole back and serious increase the battery capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom