• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izayoi

Banned
So I've got a question for you guys. I'm trying to stream videos from my PC via PS3 Media Server to my Fire. I'm using Skifta right now as the Android app part, and it picks up all of my folders and files, even renders thumbnails of the videos, but when I try to play them it tells me "Unable to locate compatible media player for item format."

I would imagine that it's similar for most Android devices, but I just can't seem to get it to work. I'm forcing it into MPEGAC3 and MP3, as well as properly setting resolution, but it still won't work. Any ideas? I'm open to something other than PS3 Media Server, so long as it supports subtitles.
Nobody? Has anyone here used their Android device as a renderer before? I just need a good starting point, jumping right into it is getting me nowhere it seems.

kehs

Banned
Nobody? Has anyone here used their Android device as a renderer before? I just need a good starting point, jumping right into it is getting me nowhere it seems.

Dice player seemed to play stuff off my NAS networks without a problem, I'm not really sure which formats they were though.

3phemeral

O. M. G.

Installed and set the option.

Super sweet. Voicemails show up in my log, and instead of the redial icon that's normally there, it's a play button. Clicking that opens a separate menu with:

1st Row: Back to call history | trash can | menu options (only "Edit number before call")
2nd Row: Contact picture
3rd Row: Pause | Speakerphone buttons
4th Row: Slow-Down button (-) -------------- (timeline)------------------(+) Speed-Up button
5th Row: Phone number | text message icon
6th Row: Voicemail details (time/date)

In other news, I just noticed some icon called "Top Apps" (yellow magnifying glass, blue background) appeared on my Transformer. Clicking prompts me to choose a browser, which then takes me to ad.leadboltaps.net. Clicking on the icon and choosing the "manage" option (adw ex launcher), shows it's a generic android system process. Can't seem to find how this icon was created. I also have "auto-add widget" turned OFF in the marketplace. Anyone familiar?

[edit] Just discovered an app called "gps fix" places this shortcut on my homescreen.

thespot84

O. M. G.

Super sweet. Voicemails show up in my log, and instead of the redial icon that's normally there, it's a play button. Clicking that opens a separate menu with:

1st Row: Back to call history | trash can | menu options (only "Edit number before call")
4th Row: Slow-Down button (-) -------------- (timeline)------------------(+) Speed-Up button

So money.

Archos have released an update for their g9 tablets, still on 4.0.3, but fixes a few bugs.

The bigger boys should be embarrassed. Budget tablet maker gets 4.0.3 released and a bug fixing update whilst others are still formulating schedules for their ICS rollout.

Doopliss

O. M. G.

In other news, I just noticed some icon called "Top Apps" (yellow magnifying glass, blue background) appeared on my Transformer. Clicking prompts me to choose a browser, which then takes me to ad.leadboltaps.net. Clicking on the icon and choosing the "manage" option (adw ex launcher), shows it's a generic android system process. Can't seem to find how this icon was created. I also have "auto-add widget" turned OFF in the marketplace. Anyone familiar?

[edit] Just discovered an app called "gps fix" places this shortcut on my homescreen.
It can change the playback speed? All the podcasting apps require you to buy some £3.50 plugin to do that. I didn't think Android was able to on its own.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
O. M. G.

Screenshot plz?

Volume Down + Sleep Button in ICS.

Ashhong

Screenshot plz?

Volume Down + Sleep Button in ICS.

mHAJI.png

edit: god dammit. why do i even bother

Patriots7

Dear Android-GAF,

I have officially converted. I broke my last iPhone and ordered a Galaxy Nexus for AT&T.

Holy Shit, this might be the best phone I have ever had. When I lost my iPhone, I used a Samsung Infuse 4G, which wasn't bad, but made me really miss my iPhone.

The Galaxy Nexus however, blows that phone, as well as my iPhone 4 away. The UI is honestly breathtaking, and has a lot of neat touches that I appreciate. I haven't had it crash once yet (what happened to the Android is unstable troll posts?) and it is as fluid as my iPhone 4 ever was.

I bow to my Google overlords.

There are a few things I miss from iOS, such as being able to tap the top of the screen to jump to the top of a website, being able to start the music app from the lock screen (unless I'm dumb it has to already be running in ICS for there to be lock screen access), all of the sounds from iOS (I don't know why, but for some reason, I just don't feel the sounds on ICS are as loud), but all in all, I'm really happy to have an Android now.

Few questions though:
1) I have 4.0.2, is it going to automatically upgrade to 4.0.3?
2) Is youmail the best visual voicemail? I tried Google Voice on my Samsung Infuse but it wouldn't sync with my number so it was worthless and it's left a bad taste in my mouth
3) I never really worried about the number of texts stored by conversation on the iPhone (I've had conversations dating back to 2009 with my best friends I text daily). Is there a way to back up my texts on Android? (I really liked being able to retrieve all of my texts everytime I broke/lost my iPhone)
4) Is there a way to sync Facebook pics with the People App? Only about 30 of my friends are on G+ so it looks barren

thespot84

Dear Android-GAF,

I have officially converted. I broke my last iPhone and ordered a Galaxy Nexus for AT&T.

Holy Shit, this might be the best phone I have ever had. When I lost my iPhone, I used a Samsung Infuse 4G, which wasn't bad, but made me really miss my iPhone.

The Galaxy Nexus however, blows that phone, as well as my iPhone 4 away. The UI is honestly breathtaking, and has a lot of neat touches that I appreciate. I haven't had it crash once yet (what happened to the Android is unstable troll posts?) and it is as fluid as my iPhone 4 ever was.

I bow to my Google overlords.

There are a few things I miss from iOS, such as being able to tap the top of the screen to jump to the top of a website, being able to start the music app from the lock screen (unless I'm dumb it has to already be running in ICS for there to be lock screen access), all of the sounds from iOS (I don't know why, but for some reason, I just don't feel the sounds on ICS are as loud), but all in all, I'm really happy to have an Android now.

Few questions though:
1) I have 4.0.2, is it going to automatically upgrade to 4.0.3?

2) Is youmail the best visual voicemail? I tried Google Voice on my Samsung Infuse but it wouldn't sync with my number so it was worthless and it's left a bad taste in my mouth

3) I never really worried about the number of texts stored by conversation on the iPhone (I've had conversations dating back to 2009 with my best friends I text daily). Is there a way to back up my texts on Android? (I really liked being able to retrieve all of my texts everytime I broke/lost my iPhone)

-Nexus will never get 4.0.3, it's going to upgrade to 4.0.4
at some point

-google voice is the be all end all, and actually just updated (see above few posts). no reason it shouldn't sync with your phone, just make sure your phones google account and the gvoice account are the same, and that the number for your cell phone is added in gvoice.

EDIT: do you get voicemails in your gvoice account, i.e. have you forwarded your voicemail from ATT to google yet?

-smsbackup (if it's been backed up for android, not sure) will back them up to gmail, however it doesn't restore them as far as I know. I'm sure someone else here has another solution.

Check out the tuna thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=36268235

Also, the new ICSbrowser+ has gestures I believe, which should mimic the 'go to top of page' functionality you're missing. Also the tuna is not very loud, that'll hopefully get fixed in 4.0.4.

Under their ski goggles those girls have no eyes. They're in agony, but powerless against the slow, unrelenting assimilation to which they are subjected. Their noses will be the next thing to go, then their hair and all complexion. Just the grin will remain, cemented in place for all eternity.

Whoa you knew my friend too?

Are Titanium Backups stored remotely or on the phone itself?

I want to try out CM9 but that would require a full wipe I assume? If I do a restore via Titanium what would happen?

Shepard

Are Titanium Backups stored remotely or on the phone itself?

I want to try out CM9 but that would require a full wipe I assume? If I do a restore via Titanium what would happen?

Cyanogen team don't recommend restoring your apps via Titanium. Don't know the reason or if it will work, though.
And they are on the phone, but you have the option to store it on box/dropbox too.

thespot84

Cyanogen team don't recommend restoring your apps via Titanium. Don't know the reason or if it will work, though.
And they are on the phone, but you have the option to store it on box/dropbox too.

since my earliest experience messing around with ROMs there have always been problems when restoring DATA from titanium backups, sometimes going to the same version ROM, but especially going to a different/new version. It got so bad I've just gotten used to letting google reinstall most via the market/play and reconfigure.

Patriots7

-Nexus will never get 4.0.3, it's going to upgrade to 4.0.4
at some point

-google voice is the be all end all, and actually just updated (see above few posts). no reason it shouldn't sync with your phone, just make sure your phones google account and the gvoice account are the same, and that the number for your cell phone is added in gvoice.

EDIT: do you get voicemails in your gvoice account, i.e. have you forwarded your voicemail from ATT to google yet?

-smsbackup (if it's been backed up for android, not sure) will back them up to gmail, however it doesn't restore them as far as I know. I'm sure someone else here has another solution.

Check out the tuna thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=36268235

Also, the new ICSbrowser+ has gestures I believe, which should mimic the 'go to top of page' functionality you're missing. Also the tuna is not very loud, that'll hopefully get fixed in 4.0.4.

Whoa you knew my friend too?
Thanks good sir.

I think that's the problem, I haven't forwarded my voicemails to GVoice? How would I go about doing that, if it's not too much to ask

tino

Banned
since my earliest experience messing around with ROMs there have always been problems when restoring DATA from titanium backups, sometimes going to the same version ROM, but especially going to a different/new version. It got so bad I've just gotten used to letting google reinstall most via the market/play and reconfigure.

That happened to me. I change the restoration method to "indirect" and I was able to restore my apps fine.

I don't know why you need Titanium though. If you can flash rom you have ClockWorkMod to do 100% backup.

I only need Titanium because my phone has a locked bootloader.

thespot84

Thanks good sir.

I think that's the problem, I haven't forwarded my voicemails to GVoice? How would I go about doing that, if it's not too much to ask

when you install and launch the google voice app for the first time it should ask you which account to use and then give you directions based on your carrier to forward the voicemail, give it a shot

Shepard

That happened to me. I change the restoration method to "indirect" and I was able to restore my apps fine.

I don't know why you need Titanium though. If you can flash rom you have ClockWorkMod to do 100% backup.

Titanim is useful for freezing unneeded apps too and, if I recall, CWM backups the whole phone's settings (firmware, ROM, apps...), so that's not so useful if you want to recover your apps after changing your ROM.

panda21

Is it just me or is the chrome UI, especially the card stacks, actually smoother than the main android UI? It feels smoother than even basic 2d scrollable text menus like the settings menu, which is weird because it's more graphically intensive.

Sometimes I wonder if the minuscule lags you see on android is just that it follows the touchscreen input too literally and so it appears jerky as it scrolls because your finger doesn't move at a perfectly uniform speed across the screen, or the digitising of the touch isnt perfect or something.

Whatever it is chrome seems to have it sorted.. Hopefully this carries over to the launcher and stuff.

Circle T

I didn't take my Nexus to work today, so I just now got Voice updated. Amazing. Love the new "Holo" look, as it finally matches ICS. Now that they've finally added VMs to the phone log, they just need to do the same with texts. Have them show up in the stock Messaging app, and it would be perfect.

Titanim is useful for freezing unneeded apps too and, if I recall, CWM backups the whole phone's settings (firmware, ROM, apps...), so that's not so useful if you want to recover your apps after changing your ROM.

This was my concern. I'm looking for a way to restore all my apps/data when I change ROM's.

I'm new to Android and changing ROMs.

kehs

Banned
I didn't take my Nexus to work today, so I just now got Voice updated. Amazing. Love the new "Holo" look, as it finally matches ICS. Now that they've finally added VMs to the phone log, they just need to do the same with texts. Have them show up in the stock Messaging app, and it would be perfect.

There's an option to receive texts through the regular messaging app, I'm not sure if it works like you want it to though.

Patriots7

when you install and launch the google voice app for the first time it should ask you which account to use and then give you directions based on your carrier to forward the voicemail, give it a shot
I attempted to and i linked it to my gvoice. However now it does not go to my voicemail. If someone calls me and it goes to voicemail, it keeps ringing and is forwarded to a NY number. And now I cant undo it.

After clinging onto Launcherpro for dear life I finally switched to ADW EX, but is there anything even better? Go Launcher was lacking something I cant quite remember now, and apex launcher didnt play nice with multi picture live wallpaper

Ashhong

I don't know about what they recommend, but every ROM I have used simply states not to restore SYSTEM data. Apps+data is fine and I have done it for years.

If you want to restore apps and their data, simply hit menu, batch, then restore missing apps+data. You can look at the options and restore what you want, just dont do system data.

I jump from ROM to ROM, and sometimes ROM updates require a full wipe. When doing that, TiBa is absolutely essential in getting my apps back. Sure I can use Google's backup service, but won't that restore all of my apps I've ever downloaded? And dont even get me started on having to redownload all of my Amazon apps. TiBa is 3 clicks away from restoring all of my apps exactly how they were in my previous rom.

This was my concern. I'm looking for a way to restore all my apps/data when I change ROM's.

I'm new to Android and changing ROMs.

Titanium Backup Pro + GoSMS (or any SMS backup program) + Google will be all that you need, I promise.

To all AT&T GALAXY S2 OWNERS: ICS is pretty much completely up and running. I would put this at 85% easily. The only bugs I can think of is an occasional random screen turn on, and no video recording. This thing runs magnificently on CM9. I love it.

tino

Banned
After clinging onto Launcherpro for dear life I finally switched to ADW EX, but is there anything even better? Go Launcher was lacking something I cant quite remember now, and apex launcher didnt play nice with multi picture live wallpaper

Only thing I like better is MIUI buildin launcher. If you don't use MIUI rom ADW is the best.

Launcherpro is the guy who made Uber Music right? Is he abandoning both apps?

Circle T

There's an option to receive texts through the regular messaging app, I'm not sure if it works like you want it to though.

It doesn't. When you get a text like that, they come from Google, not the person that sent them, so it's a pain to read/sort them. Plus, if we had the ability to use other text apps, that would be nice as well.

Not without a text plan...which I don't have.

This as well, as I have texts just flat-out blocked on my lines.

Speaking of messaging apps:

Dear Google,

Do something about this:

deargoogle.jpg

You're already sharing the same icons

Signed,

Copernicus

This would be nice. Texts could be green, GVoice texts could be Blue, GTalk could be Black, G+ stuff red, etc. Not sure I can see them condensing that much stuff into one, but it would be nice for those of us that use all of them.

Emily Chu

Banned
Going back to my Droid X

as a wifi only phone from a galaxy nexus main phone

Why do they make screens over 4.3" ? Shit is perfect for one Hand and general usage

In fact I go as far to say that the Droid X form is the perfect design for a phone

Screen is nice and big without being unweildy to hold.

God damn I still love this Droid X.

I don't know about what they recommend, but every ROM I have used simply states not to restore SYSTEM data. Apps+data is fine and I have done it for years.

If you want to restore apps and their data, simply hit menu, batch, then restore missing apps+data. You can look at the options and restore what you want, just dont do system data.

I jump from ROM to ROM, and sometimes ROM updates require a full wipe. When doing that, TiBa is absolutely essential in getting my apps back. Sure I can use Google's backup service, but won't that restore all of my apps I've ever downloaded? And dont even get me started on having to redownload all of my Amazon apps. TiBa is 3 clicks away from restoring all of my apps exactly how they were in my previous rom.

Titanium Backup Pro + GoSMS (or any SMS backup program) + Google will be all that you need, I promise.

To all AT&T GALAXY S2 OWNERS: ICS is pretty much completely up and running. I would put this at 85% easily. The only bugs I can think of is an occasional random screen turn on, and no video recording. This thing runs magnificently on CM9. I love it.

Thanks for the info. I might try converting to CM9 over the weekend.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why would you want to use the regular app then?

----

Speaking of messaging apps:

Dear Google,

Do something about this:

deargoogle.jpg

You're already sharing the same icons

Signed,

Copernicus

Yeah that is annoying. The Talk icon should try to showcase the free video calling somehow.

I don't use Messaging or Messenger (lol) though.

The idea of Chrome never coming to iOS is just incredibly short-sighted.

Unless Apple starts allowing JIT compilers and apps with their own embedded app stores in, it won't happen. Period.

"Mobile Safari still offers a smoother browsing experience when compared to this new Mobile Chrome"

KvchI.gif
I use both at work every day and there's really no comparison.
He wrote that back when Chrome for Android was released; their was quite a few bugs and it wasn't as smooth as Mobile Safari, now it's pretty much up to par on smoothness and speedier to boot.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm Chroming on my Touchpad. It's definitely a bit more sluggish than the stock ICS browser but hopefully they'll work that out.

Really? Opposite for me. I've been using Chrome exclusively since I got my GN a few days ago, fired up the stock browser today and was just horrified at how laggy it was (in particular, the JavaScript execution speed.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom