• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
If I want a tablet that has a screen at least as mice as the Google Nexus', should I be looking only at Samsung's stuff?

I'm asking cuz I'm tempted to pre order the new Acer.

Well the tablets with the best screens are either the new ipad (resolution) or the Galaxy Tab 7.7 (Super AMOLED). There's also that rumoured super high resolution galaxy tab coming out who knows when.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well the tablets with the best screens are either the new ipad (resolution) or the Galaxy Tab 7.7 (Super AMOLED). There's also that rumoured super high resolution galaxy tab coming out who knows when.

Probably Google I/O.

OatmealMu

What do you people with MHL-equipped devices use for car chargers? For the Flyer, standard micro-USB chargers work, but only technically. It'll charge but slowly, and doing anything on the device will use more juice than what's being put in. The official car charger is a bit pricey. There must be some cheaper alternative, right?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well I meant release date. They haven't even announced the release date and price of the note 10.1 yet.

I meant they'll either announce it there, or they'll announce *and* give it away there, since that seems to be something they're fond of doing.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I meant they'll either announce it there, or they'll announce *and* give it away there, since that seems to be something they're fond of doing.

Ah, I actually pegged that event to be the unveiling of the asus/google tablet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ah, I actually pegged that event to be the unveiling of the asus/google tablet.

You think they're different? I assumed they were the same thing.

Edit- When you wrote Galaxy Tab I read "Nexus Tab," my apologies. :p

Ashhong

What do you people with MHL-equipped devices use for car chargers? For the Flyer, standard micro-USB chargers work, but only technically. It'll charge but slowly, and doing anything on the device will use more juice than what's being put in. The official car charger is a bit pricey. There must be some cheaper alternative, right?

This is true for all phones I believe. The culprit is the charger, which doesn't provide enough juice. You need a better charger. A very common charger used for this is this Motorola charger

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000S5Q9CA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Where my cheap microUSB charger only pushed about 400mA into my HTC HD2, this thing pushes around 1000mA.

So now that facebook picture syncing is gone, how is everybody syncing contact pictures? I just got CM9 and while I love the full screen caller ID (FINALLY), the pictures look like absolute shit.

thespot84

This is true for all phones I believe. The culprit is the charger, which doesn't provide enough juice. You need a better charger. A very common charger used for this is this Motorola charger

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000S5Q9CA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Where my cheap microUSB charger only pushed about 400mA into my HTC HD2, this thing pushes around 1000mA.

So now that facebook picture syncing is gone, how is everybody syncing contact pictures? I just got CM9 and while I love the full screen caller ID (FINALLY), the pictures look like absolute shit.

syncmypix

I attempted to and i linked it to my gvoice. However now it does not go to my voicemail. If someone calls me and it goes to voicemail, it keeps ringing and is forwarded to a NY number. And now I cant undo it.

any luck with this? i'm sure att will be happy to get your voicemail back to normal, however I haven't seen much about porting to gvoice. With verizon/CDMA you can dial a combination of numbers to forward to a different number, might be the same with gsm, anyone else have experience?

Ashhong

syncmypix

I've always used that. Their tiny pictures are so small, the only time the pictures look good is when scrolling through the People app. Is there no way to sync higher quality pics or something?

I attempted to and i linked it to my gvoice. However now it does not go to my voicemail. If someone calls me and it goes to voicemail, it keeps ringing and is forwarded to a NY number. And now I cant undo it.

Go into settings, call settings, and click on Voicemail number or something. It should say your Google Voice and then show your google voice number..and also let you adjust it.

Argyle

I feel bad for that guy, they mocked him pretty hard :(

I just installed an ICS leak on my Epic Touch 4G (aka Galaxy S2) and I switched briefly from the Touchwiz launcher to the stock ICS launcher...and I ended up switching back.

Maybe there's a way to get more than 5 homescreens, but I think I am already used to having 7...and I missed the calendar widget that is built into Touchwiz. (I'm sure I could have downloaded one but, really, there's no stock calendar widget? That's a total no brainer of a widget...) I missed being able to long press the homescreen and add widgets that way, vs. having to go into the application drawer and go to the widget tab to pick them that way. I missed being able to scroll off the beginning of the app list (or the first homescreen) and then have it wrap around. I missed being able to pinch zoom out and see all your homescreens or apps, and then jump to the page you needed...

The persistent Google search bar on the stock ICS launcher is nice, though :)

Ashhong

i think there's an option in syncmypix to do hires

There is...still looks like shit
lol.gif
Compare a syncmypixed contact with a contact that you manually set a standard camera picture to.

I feel bad for that guy, they mocked him pretty hard :(

I just installed an ICS leak on my Epic Touch 4G (aka Galaxy S2) and I switched briefly from the Touchwiz launcher to the stock ICS launcher...and I ended up switching back.

Maybe there's a way to get more than 5 homescreens, but I think I am already used to having 7...and I missed the calendar widget that is built into Touchwiz. (I'm sure I could have downloaded one but, really, there's no stock calendar widget? That's a total no brainer of a widget...) I missed being able to long press the homescreen and add widgets that way, vs. having to go into the application drawer and go to the widget tab to pick them that way. I missed being able to scroll off the beginning of the app list (or the first homescreen) and then have it wrap around. I missed being able to pinch zoom out and see all your homescreens or apps, and then jump to the page you needed...

The persistent Google search bar on the stock ICS launcher is nice, though :)

Use Apex Launcher. Free and does everything you just listed and more.

Ashhong

solutions: have only friends that use google

Do you mean Gmail or Google+? Do one of those support high quality pics?

Well...why? I'm ok with Touchwiz.

I mean, I like hacking my shit, which is why I am on a leaked ICS build, but you have to do more than say "and more" to sell me on it :)

Well why did you change to ICS launcher in the first place? I have never used the Touchwiz stuff even though I own an S2, so I can't comment on why its better. I'll list a couple things I'm going to assume Touchwiz doesn't have though

1. Customizable homescreen grid size
2. scrollable dock
3. multiple gestures on the home screen (ie. swipe up to preview homescreens, down to open notifications)

etc etc etc. Not gonna put more effort than that to convince you to use a free app =P Never used TW, never will. AOSP or CM9 all the way for me.

Argyle

Well why did you change to ICS launcher in the first place? I have never used the Touchwiz stuff even though I own an S2, so I can't comment on why its better. I'll list a couple things I'm going to assume Touchwiz doesn't have though

1. Customizable homescreen grid size
2. scrollable dock
3. multiple gestures on the home screen (ie. swipe up to preview homescreens, down to open notifications)

etc etc etc. Not gonna put more effort than that to convince you to use a free app =P Never used TW, never will. AOSP or CM9 all the way for me.

Leaked ICS build still has a few bugs (imagine that). Can't set scrollable wallpaper on Touchwiz on this build (causes the Gallery to FC when you set the boundaries), also they got rid of the "sort" option if you put the app list into editable grid mode and it wasn't immediately obvious how to edit the dock and sort your icons (turns out you have to set it to editable, move the icons you want into the dock, then set it back to sorted grid :p) so I thought I'd give the stock launcher a try.

Scrollable dock sounds cool, but I've solved my "can't access more than three apps quickly" problem with the Wave Launcher (which emulates the Palm Pre wave gesture), I have a few things in there that I occasionally need to bring up quickly that aren't important enough to live in the dock (G+, Shazam/Soundhound, camera).

I don't think you should switch to Touchwiz, but it's not nearly as bad as its apparent reputation - I don't see why anyone should be mocked for preferring it, and it's interesting to see someone try to convince me to use something else when they have never used it and never will.

zbeeb

There is...still looks like shit
lol.gif
Compare a syncmypixed contact with a contact that you manually set a standard camera picture to.

Download contact-sync and set the settings to allow high res (256x256 or 256x600) contact pics. Follow the instructions to add account and wait 10min. voila! high-res ICS pics for all

thespot84

Download contact-sync and set the settings to allow high res (256x256 or 256x600) contact pics. Follow the instructions to add account and wait 10min. voila! high-res ICS pics for all

this one? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ro.weednet.contactssync&feature=search_result

'contact-sync' doesn't bring up a specific hit in search...

EDIT: 256x256 still looks meh. The phone is 720px wide in portrait, and the contact photo takes up like 80%. It's still being stretched almost 3x...

EDIT2: and there was no 256x600 option

zbeeb

this one? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ro.weednet.contactssync&feature=search_result

'contact-sync' doesn't bring up a specific hit in search...

EDIT: 256x256 still looks meh. The phone is 720px wide in portrait, and the contact photo takes up like 80%. It's still being stretched almost 3x...

EDIT2: and there was no 256x600 option

Yep thats the one. I just checked, its either 256x256 or 200x600, my bad.

Fair point, I'm using it on a Galaxy S2 so its not as obvious. Regardless for me its a fair better option than the standard image sizes.

EDIT: Another ($1.30 AUD) option is Haxsync.. apparently it works very well but I can't say I've tried it myself.

Maxrunner

Do you mean in general ui performance, or certain apps? have you enabled "force gpu acceleration" under Developer Options? Tends to speed things up a bit. (though some apps don't like it)

Scrolling the widgets sections lags, as do sometimes between home screens transitions,they stutter, rotation sometimes takes too much time too...etc..

Scrolling the widgets sections lags, as do sometimes between home screens transitions,they stutter, rotation sometimes takes too much time too...etc..

The plume widget is laggy for me, but otherwise the ui is fluid scrolling between
. I don't use rotation so it can't comment on that, although the leaked 4.0.3/4.0.4 apparently speed up the screen rotation, so a fix for that is coming. Try forcing hardware acceleration, see if it helps.

Are you using the stock launcher, or third party, ie launcherpro or adw ex? I've been using adw since day one with no issues.

Zeppu

My mistake. I meant Euro not GSM. And we're in Malta. I didn't even think we got OTA updates here.

Edit: 17th December in the UK.

giga

I thought Google was the one who delivered updates to official Nexus devices, not carriers?

My mistake. I meant Euro not GSM. And we're in Malta. I didn't even think we got OTA updates here.

Edit: 17th December in the UK.
That was the one that was pulled, no?

SimleuqiR

This is what you need. But you do have to pay for it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...=W251bGwsMSwxLDUwMSwib3JnLm1vdHMuaGF4c3luYyJd

_PaL5hqwcuvlGVeWDYlM73nC5jD4gZuWZ9O-M5W83rfb8yWQr9H6LrW88ACQGJm3BSWp

HaxSync allows you to sync your Facebook friends and Events with your Android 4.0 device! This gives you an experience similar to the Google+ one, complete with status-updates and high-resolution contact images in the People App, Events and Birthdays in your device's Calendar.

It uses the new Social Network API on ICS. I don't see why the Facebook APP won't include this feature in the future, but who knows when that will be. The developer has until then to make some money of this missing feature.

Zeppu

Calm down there. My AT&T Nexus S is a GSM model, and I'm still waiting for ICS. It's 100% Google's fault.

Well then if the OTA didn't work try this?
http://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-update-your-gsm-nexus-s-ice-cream-sandwich

I'm think OTA updates depend on the sim inserted rather than the model. I had to insert an UK sim into my old Hero to get the 2.1 update (which I downloaded over wifi while roaming).

That was the one that was pulled, no?

Dunno. I have two friends who have a Nexus S, both on ICS. One got the update OTA (he's technologically oblivious) and the other had to perform it manually. In both cases it was an unrooted phone with no custom recovery (if that makes any difference).

Edit: I don't know now. I guess it's an assumption I made because every Nexus S owner I know is on ICS :S

gcubed

Yea. As much of a Google fanboy I am, I lost faith on their nexus line. Specifically their unfulfilled promises of expedient updates.

i expect the new nexus to be ahead of the old for a little bit. i do not expect the old nexus to then leapfrog the new one, i do not expect a large portion of the userbase to receive the update before either nexus. Its a full on failure from Google.

Should have lost faith when they crippled the SD card slot.

I give less then a fuck about an SD slot

giga

Well then if the OTA didn't work try this?
http://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-update-your-gsm-nexus-s-ice-cream-sandwich

I'm think OTA updates depend on the sim inserted rather than the model. I had to insert an UK sim into my old Hero to get the 2.1 update (which I downloaded over wifi while roaming).

Dunno. I have two friends who have a Nexus S, both on ICS. One got the update OTA and the other had to perform it manually. In both cases it was an unrooted phone with no custom recovery (if that makes any difference).
http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/12/20/g...te-for-nexus-s-over-purported-battery-issues/

A few days after Dec 17.

Ashhong

I don't think you should switch to Touchwiz, but it's not nearly as bad as its apparent reputation - I don't see why anyone should be mocked for preferring it, and it's interesting to see someone try to convince me to use something else when they have never used it and never will.

I only suggested it because you commented how you tried the ICS launcher and wasn't happy. Apex is an alternative ICS launcher that is much much better. So I figured, logically, you might want to try the better ICS launcher. You are the one that asked me to convince you.

This is what you need. But you do have to pay for it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...MuaGF4c3luYyJd

https://lh4.ggpht.com/_PaL5hqwcuvlGVeWDYlM73nC5jD4gZuWZ9O-M5W83rfb8yWQr9H6LrW88ACQGJm3BSWp

It uses the new Social Network API on ICS. I don't see why the Facebook APP won't include this feature in the future, but who knows when that will be. The developer has until then to make some money of this missing feature.

Cool thanks, I might buy this today.

And why dont you Nexus S owners just manually update to GB? My gf just got it for Tmobile and I didn't see the ICS update (was it pulled for Tmobile too?) and so I just manually did it. No rooting needed or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom