• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
I thought Google was the one who delivered updates to official Nexus devices, not carriers?

Depends on how you bought it. If you bought it directly, it's from google. If you bought one from a carrier that sold it without futzing. It's from google.

Some carriers, around the world, opted to futz with the phone and the updates are dependent on them. This was the case for even some of the Nexus Ones.

Basically they only way to guarantee a google update device is to buy it unlocked, retail. (even then it's a crapshoot since Google doesn't like talking about products you pay for.)

The Nexus S update started rolling out to the T-Mo Variant, but it was pulled. Same thing for the Sprint Variant.

Regarding that vergecast about touchwiz: I only sat through about two minutes of it, but those three guys came off like real douchebags. "Oh nos, someone likes something I dont!".

SimleuqiR

Cool thanks, I might buy this today.

Also, I for got to mention that you can always update your contact pictures manually using the Facebook App. Obviously if you have a large number of contacts you don't want to do this, but there are occasions where the picture on someone's profile might not be something you want to have as their contact pic in the Peoples App.

Just go to a picture in the Facebook App, click the three dots menu button, then select "Set as" and you will get this option:

Screenshot_2011-12-22-14-49-12.png

Argyle

I only suggested it because you commented how you tried the ICS launcher and wasn't happy. Apex is an alternative ICS launcher that is much much better. So I figured, logically, you might want to try the better ICS launcher. You are the one that asked me to convince you.

Actually, no. I was commenting about how someone was being mocked on the Verge for liking Touchwiz, and I was talking about why I prefer Touchwiz over the stock ICS launcher. I wasn't asking for a suggestion for an alternative launcher because I don't have any problem with Touchwiz and I was curious as to why you were assuming that I wanted to switch to something else.

Thanks for the suggestion though, if I ever decide I care about those features, at least I know where to look :) (I found that switching launchers is a fair amount of friction, in addition to having to download something else, who wants to set up their homescreens again...)

Android GAF, I need an Android-based PMP/MP3 player mainly for testing purposes. Do you guys have any suggestions? Preferably something that doesn't cost a fortune and can run the latest version, if possible?
Although if its for testing, would be be smarter to get something with 2.x (since the majority of Android users are on that platform) and trust that it'll run the same or better on a 3.x and 4.x device?

Or maybe I should just get a used phone with no service, you think?

Donos

Android GAF, I need an Android-based PMP/MP3 player mainly for testing purposes. Do you guys have any suggestions? Preferably something that doesn't cost a fortune and can run the latest version, if possible?
Although if its for testing, would be be smarter to get something with 2.x (since the majority of Android users are on that platform) and trust that it'll run the same or better on a 3.x and 4.x device?

Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 3.6 / Samsung Galaxy 5.0 or the cheaper 4.0 Version

JWong

Banned
Although I said I bought the Xperia S a while back, I don't actually have it.

I ordered it, and the store is saying it's sold out everywhere, even from their warehouse. ;_;

Maxrunner

All of this was fixed in GSM 4.0.3/LTE 4.0.4. Since you're on GSM you can look around for one of many available 4.0.3 ROMs.

What's the best way to load these roms???i only used toolkit to swap to from yakjuwx to google yakju ...
Êdit: if all those issues are fixed i wonder why google refuses to update the gsm model with those said fixes, i mean there's branded google devices with the 4.0.3. already...like the Asus Transformer Prime...

Ashhong

What's the best way to load these roms???i only used toolkit to swap to from yakjuwx to google yakju ...
Êdit: if all those issues are fixed i wonder why google refuses to update the gsm model with those said fixes, i mean there's branded google devices with the 4.0.3. already...like the Asus Transformer Prime...

What are you using? Nexus S?

Ashhong

Unless you absolutely need microSD, Class 4 is awfully slow. What will you be using it for?

You can get a 32GB Class 10 SD for $32.

Just some media on my GS2. I really only need like maybe 8gigs max, I keep finding myself running out of space. But its so cheap...tempted to just go big lol

edit: I actually linked a MICROSD card. You linked regular SD =P

apparently he hasn't abandoned it, he just has a lot of stuff going on in his life.

Ahh cheers! I'll have to keep my eye out for when it gets going again.

While Im here Im wondering which battery increments Galaxy s2 uses as I am thinking of installing a custom battery icon using rom toolbox? Looks like 20% to me but I dont wanna mess it up and cant find anything...

edit: uh my battery is now at 77% and it aint changed! grrr

edit 2 : 20% didnt work but a leap of faith with 1% increments seems to have worked :D

OatmealMu

This is true for all phones I believe. The culprit is the charger, which doesn't provide enough juice. You need a better charger. A very common charger used for this is this Motorola charger

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000S5Q9CA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Where my cheap microUSB charger only pushed about 400mA into my HTC HD2, this thing pushes around 1000mA.

The Flyer apparently needs something like 1620mA because it uses two separate batteries. I've been researching the issue, and have found other people having difficulty finding a cheap alternative to the official charger.

So, I decided I was sick of my old Irish block charger with the huge UK to US adapter to make it work here attached, so I bought a regular one here today. And it makes my Galaxy S go completely crazy when I plug it in. It charges fine but the phone is completely unusable and has a mind of its own. Opening and closing apps, going into menus, turning the screen on and off. I've never seen anything like it. Then when I plug it out again it's perfectly fine.

Anyone come across this problem before?

testing as in you're developing something for Android?

Doopliss

So, I decided I was sick of my old Irish block charger with the huge UK to US adapter to make it work here attached, so I bought a regular one here today. And it makes my Galaxy S go completely crazy when I plug it in. It charges fine but the phone is completely unusable and has a mind of its own. Opening and closing apps, going into menus, turning the screen on and off. I've never seen anything like it. Then when I plug it out again it's perfectly fine.

Yeah, it's a thing.

Patriots7

Google Voice is working. Visual Voicemail! Finally.
I love this phone.

Chrome is the best mobile browsing experience I have ever had.

Does anyone have any good sites/apps to help skin up my phone a bit? I have seen some great things in the customization thread, so I might just scour that until I find something.

What's the mA rating on the charger? I used a cheapy 500ma charger on my old SGS once and it went cuckoo. Get at least 700ma charger (1000ma better)

I think it has something to do with having usb debugging on... But don't quote me on that, I may have dreamt it. (but still, check if usb debugging is on, turn off, try charger again)

Martian

I'm kinda new to my phone and android, so forgive me for my ignorance. But I updated my phone (galaxy s2) and I thought it would be 4.0.0 . Is 4.0 not out yet? Or is my phone incapable of the newest version of android? I read somewhere that ice cream sandwich would be out by march 10th?

I'm kinda new to my phone and android, so forgive me for my ignorance. But I updated my phone (galaxy s2) and I thought it would be 4.0.0 . Is 4.0 not out yet? Or is my phone incapable of the newest version of android? I read somewhere that ice cream sandwich would be out by march 10th?

it would be 4.0.3 but the rollout depends on region and carrier branding vs unlocked, so you would have to clarify where you got your GSII.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Ok so I may be going out to get a new phone today and may pick up a Moto Razr (16gb). How is the battery life on this thing though? I love how thin and light it is, but not being able to replace the battery is kinda worrisome.

Also, what's the status on when this phone gets the latest version of Android? Or should it come with it?

Futureman

Ok so I may be going out to get a new phone today and may pick up a Moto Razr (16gb). How is the battery life on this thing though? I love how thin and light it is, but not being able to replace the battery is kinda worrisome.

Also, what's the status on when this phone gets the latest version of Android? Or should it come with it?

If you are worried about battery, might as well get the Razr Maxx. What is it... $100 more right now? Over the course of your contract that's like $5 a month.

Razr runs on Gingerbread right now but will definitely see an update to ICS soon.

gcubed

i agree with the previous poster. If you are worried about battery life see if you can swing the extra $$ and get the Maxx. You get insane battery life and 32gb instead of 16gb

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
How much worse is the battery on the regular Razr? I can't afford $300.

kehs

Banned
Toshiba is probably just taking advantage of their touchscreen/display combos that they're going to eventually use on W8 laptops I'm guessing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
13" is pitch perfect for comics and web browsing but kind of a downgrade as far as everything else goes. If it's light enough it could be worth a try.

RdN

Hey, anyone can tell em which is the best Windows Live Messenger app for Android? I've been using imo.im, but I'm looking for something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom