• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppu

Look what just showed up in the latest dev

5QYWa.png

panda21

is there a decent modified stock ICS ROM for the SGS2 yet? thinking along the lines of checkrom.

I just tried omega and its pretty shitty. they somehow managed to take samsung ICS and make it even uglier.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The new Chrome to Chrome extension is pretty lame compared to the old Chrome to Phone one though, and that screenshot looks like the latter.

Also, a big "wut" at them bundling that but not an RSS extension.

Zeppu

The new Chrome to Chrome extension is pretty lame compared to the old Chrome to Phone one though, and that screenshot looks like the latter.

Also, a big "wut" at them bundling that but not an RSS extension.

This seems to be more of a chrome tab sharing functionality. There's also the 'Other devices' tab at the bottom right of the new tab screen. Overall it seems to be more part of the sync state which is probably why they bundled it in. The lack of RSS was pretty stupid but then I found a different one which immediately subscribes you to google reader so it turned out better.

rozay

Banned
Anyone else notice they brought back the 2.3 style 2 column menu for the latest update to navigation on ICS? I'm glad because pressing menu and having a long list of tiny options was not a great experience while driving.

Xzior

Just noticed a problem on my Galaxy S2 (android 2.3.5), certain mp3 will not play any sound through the speaker only headphones work. Tried both with PowerAMP and the Stock MP3-player with the same result and the same mp3s.

Anyone have the same problem or know what's wrong, seems like a weird problem.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Wallbase is excellent since you can search for specific things like colour palette and subject matter. Not to mention their collection is massive.

You're not lying, I downloaded one wallpaper from zedge, about 2 dozen from wallbase - Im going to see if I can trick Zedge into thinking it's all from Zedge so that it does the cycling thing with them :D

deim0s

Just picked up a Galaxy W to goof around with... actually it's pretty nice - the Touchwiz UI bugs me tho.

Anyone tried Sleipnir or Dolphin (Opera Mini would be good when away from a WiFi)? Any others?

If I have an alternate browser can I set it as default system-wide?

Just picked up a Galaxy W to goof around with... actually it's pretty nice - the Touchwiz UI bugs me tho.

Anyone tried Sleipnir or Dolphin (Opera Mini would be good when away from a WiFi)? Any others?

If I have an alternate browser can I set it as default system-wide?

Yes, settings - apps - all
Scroll to the browser, select clear defaults. Next time you click on a url you'll be asked what program you want to set as default for that action, select the browser you wish

Same process goes to what you want to use to play music / videos / sms etc, although by clearing defaults in the relevant app of course.

Not sure if I should've posted this here or in the Google+ thread, but...

I'm trying to figure out the difference between Google Talk's chat client and Google+ Messenger.

A few weeks back a friend from Panama and I were messing around with both to try and figure out the difference. If we used Talk on our phones, it would sync with our conversation across Gmail/G+/etc. in a web browser, and we could continue the conversation from both places. On the other hand, if we used the Messenger app on our phones, nothing would appear on the website, and we weren't quite sure how to use the Messenger feature on Google+.

Today I randomly got a notification through the Messenger app saying the guy had started a Hangout with me, so I responded, but I can find no evidence of any existing Hangout on Google+ itself.

Is there something I'm missing here? Why aren't Talk and Hangouts just fully integrated?

Edit:

I found this, which seems to explain it:

https://plus.google.com/u/3/112438870632736434769/posts/AdiL5Nz4Yap

Which Android phone should I get from T-Mobile? I really wanted the Sidekick 4g and I was waiting for them to get a new shipment of them in but I read some reviews and a lot of people complain about constant freezing. Is it just that phone or do most Androids have freezing issues? I really like the hardware of the Sidekick and I heard the battery is good, but I'm not sure if it's a good choice. What do you guys think?

beje

Banned
Freezing is more due to shitty manufacturer firmware/drivers than Android itself. I've had my Xperia Mini Pro for almost 6 months already and it has never frozen or random reboot on me EVER with stock firmware, and most people with Xperia phones that I know seem to agree. It's sad that buggy OS's with half-assed key features or components that scream "please, install Cyanogen on me if you want me to work as intended" like those packed by HTC and Samsung are considered "normal".

I checked out T-Mobile's website for reviews and it looks like a lot of the Android phones have problems.. The only one that was very well-reviewed was the Galaxy S II but I don't think I can get that one :(

RuGalz

Anyone else noticed some of the apps Amazon gave out previously for free have disappeared from Amazon app store altogether? It kinda makes you wonder why you would buy them there.

rozay

Banned
So remember how we wondered how we would use the menu button on apps designed for 2.3 and below on the One X/One S? Look at that waste of screen space on the bottom

hardware and software design continues to be a clusterfuck, and HTC isn't alone here samsung is still rearranging the softkeys on devices with on-screen softkeys :/
samsunggti9300_large_verge_medium_landscape.png

Which Android phone should I get from T-Mobile? I really wanted the Sidekick 4g and I was waiting for them to get a new shipment of them in but I read some reviews and a lot of people complain about constant freezing. Is it just that phone or do most Androids have freezing issues? I really like the hardware of the Sidekick and I heard the battery is good, but I'm not sure if it's a good choice. What do you guys think?

If you have the money, then get an unlocked gsm Galaxy Nexus or a t-mo Galaxy S II. Neither of those phones will have constant, if any, freezing.

Ocho

hardware and software design continues to be a clusterfuck, and HTC isn't alone here samsung is still rearranging the softkeys on devices with on-screen softkeys :/

Am I the only one who thinks this is a better idea? My thumb is usually on the right side, and I certainly use back more than the app drawer.

tino

Banned
So remember how we wondered how we would use the menu button on apps designed for 2.3 and below on the One X/One S? Look at that waste of screen space on the bottom

But look at the alternative, you can go the Apple route and not expend the screen resolution because it will break shit.

I mean those apps won't benefit from a longer screen anyway. I don't have problem with it.

Futureman

you get used to the different layouts after about a week. Big deal. Unless you are Joshua Topolsky and have a new phone every week, I don't think it's such an issue.

zbeeb

Perfect solution would be to have it as an option. Left/Right handers will have different preferences on the order of the keys as (IMO) the back key is used more often than the multitasking.

Giving users the option allows them to choose it to be how they like it and basically emphasises how software keys can do things that hardware cannot.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
In any case, I really hope Jellybean introduces a gesture (preferably something like "swipe up from the bottom") that allows apps to fully hide the system bar. Full 720p games, baby!

wario

In any case, I really hope Jellybean introduces a gesture (preferably something like "swipe up from the bottom") that allows apps to fully hide the system bar. Full 720p games, baby!

+1. hopefully that's the direction google wants to take android. it'd be cool if they extend it across the entire OS instead of just apps though.

doesn't even have to be fancy, i'd be happy with the honeycomb browser quick controls with only the 'back, home, recent apps' buttons.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well the stock browser is unlikely to be developed further.

Chrome is absolutely lovely though. It's pretty much perfect aside from being two versions behind the desktop release, lacking apps and extensions, lacking the auto-updater (no, Google Play's updater is not a good substitute), and occasionally crashing (only had it happen to me once and I've been using it heavily for about a week now.)

Nakazato

im in this werid place i love android as a platform and love the size of the phone screens.

I hate my galaxy s captivate tho. and i worried that the next phone i get will be a mess as well. :(

leaning towards i phone but im gonna wait to see what android has coming out between now and aug

kehs

Banned
Well the stock browser is unlikely to be developed further.

Chrome is absolutely lovely though. It's pretty much perfect aside from being two versions behind the desktop release, lacking apps and extensions, lacking the auto-updater (no, Google Play's updater is not a good substitute), and occasionally crashing (only had it happen to me once and I've been using it heavily for about a week now.)

The quick controls on the stock browsers, trump unilaterally, anything chrome has presented for their mobile effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom