• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

voodoojohn said:
Is there not a way to send and recieve texts through Google Voice? Verizon's fees are similarly onerous, so I'm trying to figure this out before the Prime launches.
Yes, if you give people your Google voice number you can send and receive for free

Wads

Banned
Google voice app and you can also have voice forward texts to email and reply by email. You can also forward to your mobile but it sounds like you don't want to do that because of charges. Keep in mind texts will be under your voice number unless you are integrated through Sprint which is a no since you said Verizon.

Cool. So since I can have calls to my Google Voice number forwarded to my cell phone, is there any reason I shouldn't only give people my GV number? As in, don't even give anyone my actual cell number because I don't want them accidentally sending a text to it. Does anyone else do this?

gcubed

voodoojohn said:
Cool. So since I can have calls to my Google Voice number forwarded to my cell phone, is there any reason I shouldn't only give people my GV number? As in, don't even give anyone my actual cell number because I don't want them accidentally sending a text to it. Does anyone else do this?
Most people get my gvoice number when they ask. Direct is only for people I care about being able to get a hold of me if something happens to the gvoice service

MiniKelly

voodoojohn said:
Giving only the google voice number is the best way to go. You can easily switch carriers in the future and don't have to port any numbers.

JonnyBrad said:
Its wierd because you get all kinds of copyright junk on ios (see thread in the gaming store) and Apple doesn't seem to think they have any more responsibilities (ie responding to take down notices) than google with their anything goes approach.
because they don't. it's just a Google excuse.

Mrbob

gcubed said:
0.20 Per text ... incoming AND outgoing

D-:

After debating for two weeks what to replace my Tracfone with, think I'm hitting up the 35 dollar monthly Virgin Mobile Plan. I get strong coverage in my city and all cities I plan on visiting. Going to get the Motorola Triumph. Wish me luck, as it sounds like people are hit and miss with this device. I'll buy locally in case I get a lemon I can return it for a new one.

Plan on rooting it to make the most out of the device.

Jeels

Man, I really want to get the Nexus Prime, I thought I could sell my S but the S is going for half of what I bought it for. I'm told these prices drop quick, so hopefully that's the case because I simply don't have the cash.

Jeff-DSA

Posting this from my shiny new GS2. I get two weeks with a no questions asked return policy, so if the Nexus is announced and blows me away I will return this. But man, this thing screams through web pages.

wario

according to this, the galaxy nexus won't be a world phone but it'll feature lte 4g on verizon.

Samsung-galaxy-nexus-device-550x300.jpg

still hoping they announce a gsm-compatible world version too...

link

gcubed

Google Music Store finally. Hope they copy apple and match what you have for online streaming instead of having to upload it all

kehs

Banned
wario said:
according to this, the galaxy nexus won't be a world phone but it'll feature lte 4g on verizon.

link

Google trolling Verizon with a non Galaxy SII, that's a Galaxy SII.

E: Google music store? wtf. everyone subscribe to Jtwo...he listens to awesome music.

thespot84

Copernicus said:
Google trolling Verizon with a non Galaxy SII, that's a Galaxy SII.

E: Google music store? wtf. everyone subscribe to Jtwo...he listens to awesome music.

No Push to Talk?! Fuck this the nexus is dead to me.

thespot84

Copernicus said:
I like the fact that OTA doesn't have a Y under it.

Suck it faux nexus.

I get the feeling EXP NWK means 'Expected Next Week', which makes me all tingly inside, almost as much as 2way sms.

kehs

Banned
thespot84 said:
I get the feeling EXP NWK means 'Expected Next Week', which makes me all tingly inside, almost as much as 2way sms.

I'm gonna look like a fool when nothing I've said comes true. haha

Kwixotik

Finally pulled the trigger on buying an AT&T GS2, my first smartphone ever. It feels like getting the Internet for the first time. Everything's so overwhelming, but I love it. I have a 30 day return policy, so if the Nexus comes out, I'll probably switch to it. Dunno though.

Is there a website, tutorial, guide or something for customizing your phone and getting essential apps? I want to dive in, but I don't know where to start.

Also, is this thing able to connect to be used in Europe (ignoring specific data plans, etc. just want to know if it's functional)?

Wads

Banned
I couldn't possibly be any happier with the HTC Amaze! This phone is fing fantastic. Love the feel and design and the camera/video buttons are brilliant! I'll be sticking with this phone for some time... love it! And this is coming from a guy that has had over 7/8 phones over the past 1/2 years.

Agentnibs

Wads said:
I couldn't possibly be any happier with the HTC Amaze! This phone is fing fantastic. Love the feel and design and the camera/video buttons are brilliant! I'll be sticking with this phone for some time... love it! And this is coming from a guy that has had over 7/8 phones over the past 1/2 years.

Yeah the camera is pretty amazing on that phone. Only camera that might be better is the 4s and some nokia phones

Socreges

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
Why are you making up shit? It was launched months ago. So long ago in fact that Best Buy had it fully subsidized last week.
Easy now. I was looking for release dates and apparently the WHITE model was just released a few days ago.

wario said:

link
no streaming video? i guess we now know they delayed the conference by a week to pull the Youtube app because of patent issues...

gcubed

The Faceless Master said:
no streaming video? i guess we now know they delayed the conference by a week to pull the Youtube app because of patent issues...

its not "N" its just blank. Its a surprise!

panda21

why does K9 mail colour in some of my messages in my inbox grey? it seems to be completely random, it will just colour the whole of the background of it in the message list grey. its nothing to do with unread or replied to messages. its done it since i first installed it and i can't see anything about it in the options.

(i'm not talking about the little coloured bars on the left that show which account its from)

JonnyBrad

panda21 said:
why does K9 mail colour in some of my messages in my inbox grey? it seems to be completely random, it will just colour the whole of the background of it in the message list grey. its nothing to do with unread or replied to messages. its done it since i first installed it and i can't see anything about it in the options.

(i'm not talking about the little coloured bars on the left that show which account its from)

Its because the message is not fully downloaded (change the settings for the max bytes per message its downloading)

andycapps

Anybody have any idea on how to keep an app from starting when my phone starts? Photobucket seems to be using some juice according to Spare Parts, yet I'm not doing anything in it. Youmail was doing the same thing and was using juice when it wasn't needing to download any voicemails. Need something like msconfig in Windows so I can tell it not to run when I start up.

kehs

Banned
andycapps said:
Anybody have any idea on how to keep an app from starting when my phone starts? Photobucket seems to be using some juice according to Spare Parts, yet I'm not doing anything in it. Youmail was doing the same thing and was using juice when it wasn't needing to download any voicemails. Need something like msconfig in Windows so I can tell it not to run when I start up.

If you're rooted you can remove them completely.

If not, then you'll just have to deal with it. Apps "ask" permission to load into memory, but there's no built in "msconfig" to prevent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom