• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the Xoom Family Edition is $380 and available on the 16th. Also...

Runs on Android 3.1, built specifically for tablets
1GHz dual-core processor for lightning-fast responsiveness
10.1″ HS IPS HD screen display with capacitive multi-touch
5MP back camera with flash, with 720p video webcam
Preloaded with almost $40 worth of applications, plus Zoodles™, the award-winning Kid Mode application
Preloaded with MotoPack by Motorola XOOM (App Downloader by Motorola)
·Preloaded with Quickoffice™ Pro HD for seamless productivity at work
Preloaded with MotoPrint - the application that allows you to print straight from the Web browser
Preloaded with fun games like Asphalt 6 from Gameloft and SIM City Deluxe
16GB built-in memory
Battery lasts up to 10 hours for video playback and Web browsing
Access to more than 250,000 apps in Android Market™

Availability and Pricing
Motorola XOOM Family Edition will be available exclusively at all Best Buy stores nationwide and online at BestBuy.com for a limited time value price of $379 starting Oct. 16.

It sounds like they fixed/replaced the horrendous screen on the original?

AVclub

Got my Samsung Epic 4G Touch yesterday. After using an iPhone 3GS for a couple of years, there are a couple of noticeably absent refinements. However, the performance, the interface, and the versatility are exactly what I was looking for. It's been less than 24 hours, but I'm really glad I switched so far.

gcubed said:
Google Music Store finally. Hope they copy apple and match what you have for online streaming instead of having to upload it all

I'm uploading all of my music to Google Music as we speak. After 25 hours, I'm at 1,643 songs up, 17,426 songs to go!

andycapps

Copernicus said:
If you're rooted you can remove them completely.

If not, then you'll just have to deal with it. Apps "ask" permission to load into memory, but there's no built in "msconfig" to prevent it.

Oh I'm rooted, and I removed Photobucket as I don't use it often but I use Youmail for my voicemail since Sprint Voicemail doesn't seem to work well/at all if I'm not on a stock ROM. I'm on MIUI.. Guess I'll have to deal with it. I changed Youmail to only check for voicemails after a missed call, it was setup for that, plus every 2 hours.

gcubed

andycapps said:
Oh I'm rooted, and I removed Photobucket as I don't use it often but I use Youmail for my voicemail since Sprint Voicemail doesn't seem to work well/at all if I'm not on a stock ROM. I'm on MIUI.. Guess I'll have to deal with it. I changed Youmail to only check for voicemails after a missed call, it was setup for that, plus every 2 hours.
you in the US? Why not just use GVoice for your voicemail?

kehs

Banned
andycapps said:

Never used Youmail, but if it has an interval setting then that explains why it's using more battery than you would expect. Anything that polls data is a battery hog.

Like gcube mentioned, have you tried Google Voice?

ShdwDrake

Banned
So I've decided to just pay for a Nexus Prime/Galaxy Nexus out of pocket when it's released... how much could sell a Verizon iPhone 4 for $300?

kehs

Banned
andycapps said:
Can I do that without changing my phone number? I'd be fine using it for voicemail as long as nothing changes, number wise.

Yup. You can use Google Voice solely as a Voicemail service if you choose too.

Voicemail in general is really just call forwarding.

Someone calls you -> you don't pick up -> your phone forwards the call to your Voicemail via a special phone number.

The only thing that changes here is the special number your phone forwards to. In the case of Google Voice that number is your google voice number.

andycapps

Copernicus said:
Yup. You can use Google Voice solely as a Voicemail service if you choose too.

Voicemail in general is really just call forwarding.

Someone calls you -> you don't pick up -> your phone forwards the call to your Voicemail via a special phone number.

The only thing that changes here is the special number your phone forwards to. In the case of Google Voice that number is your google voice number.

Awesome. Any idea how to change this from Youmail to Google Voice as my voicemail? I'm on Sprint.

kehs

Banned
andycapps said:
Awesome. Any idea how to change this from Youmail to Google Voice as my voicemail? I'm on Sprint.

The Google Voice app will ask to do it for you when you run through the setup.

Although, on Sprint it might get a little weird since Sprint is working with Google for "deeper" integration. I'm not on Sprint, so maybe hold off until someone with Sprint chimes in.

andycapps

Copernicus said:
The Google Voice app will ask to do it for you when you run through the setup.

Cool, downloading it now. I had Google Voice before so I have a number but can't remember what it is. I didn't really "get it" before.

gcubed

andycapps said:
Cool, downloading it now. I had Google Voice before so I have a number but can't remember what it is. I didn't really "get it" before.

just install it, the first time you start it up it will ask you how you want to use it. Just choose for voicemail and you are good to go

kehs

Banned
andycapps said:

Yeah, Voice is pretty complicated when you start seeing all the things they can do with it.

kehs

Banned
andycapps said:
It's asking me which number I'd like to use as my Google Voice number.. Should I use my existing GV number or my phone's number?

That's the weird part I mentioned. Sprint/Google Allow you to use "port" your Sprint Number to your Google Voice number for free.

I'm not sure, how that works to be honest.

Voice/Sprint FAQ: http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/answer.py?answer=1205636

I totally forgot about sprint/voice integration, heh.

gcubed

andycapps said:
It's asking me which number I'd like to use as my Google Voice number.. Should I use my existing GV number or my phone's number?

use your existing GV number if you only want to use it as a voicemail client

andycapps

Copernicus said:
That's the weird part I mentioned. Sprint/Google Allow you to use "port" your Sprint Number to your Google Voice number for free.

I'm not sure, how that works to be honest.

I guess I'll use the Google Voice one for now.. Maybe I can change it later. Haven't gotten to the part where I can choose voicemail only.

Edit: It had an error and said it couldn't bring my number over, so I had the option to skip that. I just tried calling my main number from a landline and it's prompting me to say my name and Google Voice will try to connect me. LOL

gcubed

3k07j.jpg

YES!

I shall be buying my phone from Best Buy because they respect the actual name!

kehs

Banned
andycapps said:
I guess I'll use the Google Voice one for now.. Maybe I can change it later. Haven't gotten to the part where I can choose voicemail only.

Edit: It had an error and said it couldn't bring my number over, so I had the option to skip that. I just tried calling my main number from a landline and it's prompting me to say my name and Google Voice will try to connect me. LOL

Google voice has a bunch of options for call screening, it's pretty cool. You can set it up to have unknown numbers (numbers not in your contacts) get that prompt, as well as allowing you to listen live to the voicemail they leave.

So it appears Google Voice getting MMS support....good bye text plan!

------

So Verizon is going to have Razr, Prime, and Galaxy Nexus this holiday season. God damn.

andycapps

Oh man, this is complicated.. I'm looking at the settings online and just trying to figure out what's going on. Guess I'll keep calling from my work line until I get it how I want it.

It looks like it's forwarding calls to Google Chat as well as my mobile number. I guess that's right?

gcubed

andycapps said:
Oh man, this is complicated.. I'm looking at the settings online and just trying to figure out what's going on. Guess I'll keep calling from my work line until I get it how I want it.

ha, i havent done a clean setup of it in a while, but my dad did it! If he can do it you can.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Last time I was in a Subway it smelled like mustard everywhere there was a pack of feral children in front of me and I was really hungover. That lettuce is confetti.

Radec

Android GAF, I need help.

This
samsung-galaxy-nexus-prime-device-mockup-round-two_-sai-_0.jpg

or this ?

img_img01.png

I've decided to skip the iPhone 4S, so I'm going Android.

November will both be released right ?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta say, go with the Prime. The Note is something I want to check out iteration 2 or 3 of.

gcubed

rabhw said:
Only the VZW model in there also :(

Dunt cry spoderman

i dont expect the Prime to be sold subsidized by other carriers until 2012, but you should be able to get an unsubsidized version day 1

MiniKelly said:
Rumor is that verizon will have nexus prime exclusive.

All other carriers get galaxy s 2.

The i9250 variant supports T-Mobile and AT&T 3G. The Verizon version may be the only one sold at Best Buy (in-stores/subsidized).

andycapps

gcubed said:
ha, i havent done a clean setup of it in a while, but my dad did it! If he can do it you can.

Okay, voicemail is setup and I like it.. Now I'm getting my normal texts via Google Voice though. While it's nice being able to reply online or on my phone, I like the way MIUI handles popups better and there are more options in a normal messaging program. How do I turn that off?

kehs

Banned
andycapps said:
Okay, voicemail is setup and I like it.. Now I'm getting my normal texts via Google Voice though. While it's nice being able to reply online or on my phone, I like the way MIUI handles popups better and there are more options in a normal messaging program. How do I turn that off?

Turn off the Text Message notifications inside of Google Voice app.

Are you getting two notifications(voice and default app), or just one?

andycapps said:
... uhhhh I think you may have ported your mobile provider number to Google Voice. Did you have to give your credit card info? What company are you with?

SimleuqiR

gcubed said:
http://i.imgur.com/3k07j.jpg[IMG]

YES!

I shall be buying my phone from Best Buy because they respect the actual name![/QUOTE]

Wait, what model is the SCH-i515?

Edit:

Oh, is the goddamn Verizon phone.

That GSM version better be available day one! Day one Google!!!

andycapps

Battersea Power Station said:
... uhhhh I think you may have ported your mobile provider number to Google Voice. Did you have to give your credit card info? What company are you with?

I didn't give my credit card info. I'm with Sprint. When people text me at my regular number, I'm getting them via Google Voice.

I have texts from voicemail disabled as I was essentially getting it twice. Once in the app and then once in my messaging program.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Flashed Cyanogenmod 7.1 on my Vibrant last night. Was a total bitch to setup (had to flash it twice to work correctly) but my word this is easily the fastest, most responsive experience I've ever had on this phone. Absolutely love it so far. Haven't conditioned my battery yet so I can't speak to power drain yet.

gcubed

SimleuqiR said:
Wait, what model is the SCH-i515?

... the nexus prime aka galaxy nexus

andycapps, my dad wasn't on Sprint. Do you get text messages in both places, or does voice forward them to your messaging program? You chose to keep your numbers separate earlier when you were installing. I dont think its that easy to port your number over anyway (on sprint)

andycapps said:
I didn't give my credit card info. I'm with Sprint. When people text me at my regular number, I'm getting them via Google Voice.

I have texts from voicemail disabled as I was essentially getting it twice. Once in the app and then once in my messaging program.
Ah, ok, then as someone said you can turn voicemail and sms notifications on or off individually in the phone app's settings. You can also choose to forward either one or both to your email via the web interface (and you can filter them out of your inbox so you don't get notified). Guessing you figured all this out already.

kehs

Banned
andycapps said:

Yeah, just disable the notification in Google Voice. The text messages are in a data folder on the phone that any text message program can access, that's why they show up twice.

sionyboy said:
Anyone think its worthwhile buying an HC tablet this close to ICS?

I expect all HC tablets to be updated within this year, but you might as well hold off cause there's bound to be a few tablets launching with ICS for the same price.

andycapps

Battersea Power Station said:
Ah, ok, then as someone said you can turn voicemail and sms notifications on or off individually in the phone app's settings. You can also choose to forward either one or both to your email via the web interface (and you can filter them out of your inbox so you don't get notified). Guessing you figured all this out already.

Hmmm. I turned off texts in the app. Guess I'll have to wait and see if I get one from someone to see if it's working.

Copernicus said:
Yeah, just disable the notification in Google Voice. The text messages are in a data folder on the phone that any text message program can access, that's why they show up twice.

The problem wasn't that I was getting SMS's twice, I was only getting them in Google Voice. I changed it from what it was at receiving text messages "Only via the Google Voice app" to "Also via the messaging app" only. Before, only the first was checked so that may have been why they weren't coming through to my phone.

Edit: Got it working. They should really do a step by step walkthrough of how to do everything, but hey, it's Google. Great options, not so great implementation sometimes. Love Google Voice now that it's setup though. Love that voicemails are instantly available to listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom