• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

pr0cs

Radec said:
Android GAF, I need help.

This

or this ?

I've decided to skip the iPhone 4S, so I'm going Android.

November will both be released right ?

I would always choose an official 'google' phone. Samsung makes great hardware but their software support has been pretty rough, at least with my SGS.

JohnTinker said:
Haven't conditioned my battery yet so I can't speak to power drain yet.

You won't be happy, unless you carry a charger around with you everywhere.
I loved Cyanogen and MIUI but on the Galaxy phones (original SGS at least) battery life is terrible. <8 hours.

kehs

Banned
andycapps said:
Hmmm. I turned off texts in the app. Guess I'll have to wait and see if I get one from someone to see if it's working.

The problem wasn't that I was getting SMS's twice, I was only getting them in Google Voice. I changed it from what it was at receiving text messages "Only via the Google Voice app" to "Also via the messaging app" only. Before, only the first was checked so that may have been why they weren't coming through to my phone.

Edit: Got it working. They should really do a step by step walkthrough of how to do everything, but hey, it's Google. Great options, not so great implementation sometimes. Love Google Voice now that it's setup though. Love that voicemails are instantly available to listen to.

Ah, I see. Sprint customers have different settings for Google Voice. I've never seen any of those

faceless: AI on android? I don't buy it

Damn, I'm pretty bummed the Prime wont be a world phone. I'm going to be in Taiwan from November 12th to the 26th and I was really hoping I could take my new phone with me. Can't justify paying the unsubsidized price for the GSM version either.

The Faceless Master said:
so, apparently, people are saying that Speaktoit Assistant on Android is like Siri.
I love this review:

fM1Ui.png

andycapps

Copernicus said:
Ah, I see. Sprint customers have different settings for Google Voice. I've never seen any of those

faceless: AI on android? I don't buy it

Oh well, thanks for the help.

For me, I'll be waiting until my contract is up with Sprint in about May or June, whenever 2 years from the EVO 4G came out. Nexus Prime looks pretty awesome and if it's still the best phone out then (and it's actually on Sprint) then I'll get that or whatever is comparable at the time.

Edit: not out of the woods yet, apparently when I send texts people are getting them from my Google Voice number. Ugh.

SimleuqiR

Vyse The Legend said:
Shameless. You can still see the bald man's shiny head in the thumbnail.

Love the "+1's" on the page. :-D

I just want the GSM version available day one. :-?

Copernicus said:
N1 was $530, NS was $530, NP will most likely be...$____

$600.00, without contract GSM version.

Mordeccai

I'm due for an upgrade on my Verizon plan, (its in essence a renewal of a 2 year contract, correct?) What do you guys expect the contract price to be for the Prime? 400 is way out of my price range. 250 is what I'd be willing to pay.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa MMS support?! What are they doing over there?

gcubed

Jtwo said:
Whoa MMS support?! What are they doing over there?

magic

i just dont want to switch everything to google voice and then they start charging. Every year they say "hey, we are going to extend the free calling in the US!" like one year they are going to charge.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Also, I'm just catching up. So andycapps figured out how to get Gvoice texts to show up in the real messagin app? Seriously? Thats crazy! I really want to to do that.

Also, thats hilarious about it forwarding MMS to your email. Of course thats how it works. OF COURSE IT IS

gcubed

Jtwo said:
Also, I'm just catching up. So andycapps figured out how to get Gvoice texts to show up in the real messagin app? Seriously? Thats crazy! I really want to to do that.

Also, thats hilarious about it forwarding MMS to your email. Of course thats how it works. OF COURSE IT IS

i've probably used MMS... 3 times in the last 2+ years. I dont really know why i care if it comes or not

kehs

Banned
jtwo: that's for sprint customers only it seems, cause they got all integrated.

*even more junk*

I was just messing around about *junking* my post, but I'm curious why you brought up sero, haha.

Menelaus

Banned
Mordeccai said:
I'm due for an upgrade on my Verizon plan, (its in essence a renewal of a 2 year contract, correct?) What do you guys expect the contract price to be for the Prime? 400 is way out of my price range. 250 is what I'd be willing to pay.
I'd guess 300 on release.

gcubed said:
i've probably used MMS... 3 times in the last 2+ years. I dont really know why i care if it comes or not
i've used MMS 3 times in the past few days and gotten several as well.

Copernicus said:
jtwo: that's for sprint customers only it seems, cause they got all integrated.

I was just messing around about *junking* my post, but I'm curious why you brought up sero, lol.
plan price jab @ VZW

AndyD

aka andydumi
short answer: no.

long answer: that depends on your data plan limit/speed, wifi availability, willingness to suffer with lower battery life and ability to set everything up right.

Plus some companies will not let you have a data plan without a voice plan. But you may be able to cancel a text plan altogether.

andycapps

Jtwo said:

It wasn't easy, but I think I have it now configured to where voicemails come via GV. I call via my regular line, and texts are received and sent via my native messaging app. Which is how I want it. I have unlimited everything with Sprint, I don't care about using my minutes or data or anything.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Can I just say that the new Music app is the single greatest thing to ever happen to me.

iamvin22 said:
Can you use a verizon phone on sprints network? I really want the nexus prime for my sprint network.
it's technically possible, but you'd have to clone a Sprint phone to do it, and that's not legal! FEDERAL OFFENSE baby! doesn't stop people from doing it or doing stuff like using their Droids, Evos and Epics on Virgin or Boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom