• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShdwDrake

Banned
SimleuqiR said:
nexus-early.jpg

I came!

http://www.androidcentral.com/site-...ced-device-higher-price-youll-likely-actually

:p

Damn! I was hoping for $600 off contract...

kehs

Banned
http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/first-steps-towards-mms-support.html
MMS has been one of the constant feature requests since we launched Google Voice and we’ve been hard at work trying to make this happen.

Today, we're happy to announce that we've made the first step in our efforts to bring this feature to our users. Google Voice users are now able to receive pictures and other multimedia messages from Sprint subscribers. The multimedia attachments will display on their mobile forwarding phone and in their email inbox when they enable text to email forwarding in their Google Voice settings. We are also planning on making them display in the Google Voice inbox.

We are working with other mobile operators to make this work across all mobile phones and will update our users as more and more operators offer support for this.

Posted by Ilya Frank, Senior Software Engineer

You can feel the epitome of how I imagine the Google Voice team to work, dripping from this post.

Cipherr

Im actually curious how much resistance they encounter. GV is pretty bad ass, the carriers have to feel somewhat threatened by it I would imagine.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What I'm learning is that I should move to sprint? But I dont wanna wait, the prime is gonna come to Verizon first and I'm already on Verizon.

^the leak of the ICS/4.0 music app. its the same as the old one only this time it works.

My sister just picked up the Samsung Stratosphere, which is Verizon's first (or one of the first) 4GLTE phone with a physical QWERTY.

My Sprint contract is up December (finally going to get rid of my HTC Hero) and I'm switching to the big red as well. Might go for the Stratosphere or Nexus Prime depending on how expensive it all turns out to be...

I don't understand what this Voice MMS thing has to do with carriers. It's data, right? Once someone sends a picture, Google takes it on their servers and sends it via email (or through the mobile app, which... I don't get why they're not doing either). Why does it matter if it's Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, whatever?

kehs

Banned
Battersea Power Station said:
I don't understand what this Voice MMS thing has to do with carriers. It's data, right? Once someone sends a picture, Google takes it on their servers and sends it via email (or through the mobile app, which... I don't get why they're not doing either). Why does it matter if it's Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, whatever?

Who's gonna pay for the huge overheads for pushing all that data?!?!

thespot84

Jtwo said:
What I'm learning is that I should move to sprint? But I dont wanna wait, the prime is gonna come to Verizon first and I'm already on Verizon.

^the leak of the ICS/4.0 music app. its the same as the old one only this time it works.
except not on HC :-(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah Im not sure either. I always lose track of people when it comes to their real name/internet name. PM your link just in case we aren't friends already. I gotta warn you though, I don't use G+ that often.

Cipherr

wario said:
galaxy nexus $299 on contract for verizon

link

Verizon and their ridiculous extra fees on LTE phones is so stupid. At one time I think it was just 50$, back when the droid charge came out. I think it was 249, not sure though, but now, a full 100 dollars more is ridiculous. Their discounted system is worse than ATT and Sprint by far, their plans are much more expensive, the nixed unlimited, and the phone costs will soon all be 100$ more than every other carrier as more and more phones get LTE capability as a default. Their service is good and all, but its not THAT damn good. Especially not in 2012 when ATT and Sprint get LTE rolling out.

But they have subscribers so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Al-ibn Kermit

zoku88 said:
I forget, what is the usual difference between subsidized and unsubsidized in the states? 200 or 300.

Unsubsidized means you're paying full price for an unlocked phone. It varies depending on the phone but generally $500+ for a new one.

Subsidized prices are usually around $200 for the same phone. Verizon however starts some phones at $300.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
299 is the price of the 32gig iPhone. I feel like somewhere it was confirmed that this will have 32 gigs of storage.. so its not exactly exorbitant.

giga

zoku88 said:
I forget, what is the usual difference between subsidized and unsubsidized in the states? 200 or 300.
Phone/Subsidized/Retail

3GS/Free/$375
4/$99/$550
4S/$200/$650

GSII/$200/$550
Inspire 4G/$100/$450
Infuse 4G/$100/$450
Atrix 4G/$100/$450

Bionic/$300/$589
Charge/$200/$569

Al-ibn Kermit

Jtwo said:
299 is the price of the 32gig iPhone. I feel like somewhere it was confirmed that this will have 32 gigs of storage.. so its not exactly exorbitant.

Yeah it is for a phone that has a microSD slot..

I'm betting that Verizon is charging $300 just because they can as they're getting it first. Then when it comes to other carriers, it magically will fall down to $200.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Al-ibn Kermit said:
Yeah it is for a phone that has a microSD slot..

I'm betting that Verizon is charging $300 just because they can as they're getting it first. Then when it comes to other carriers, it magically will fall down to $200.
We already had this discussion, I thought it was decided that it didn't have a MicroSD slot.

Just sayin' if it does indeed have 32gigs of storage, its directly in line pricewise with the competition.. whether or not thats worth it is still up to you.

wario

Al-ibn Kermit said:
Then when it comes to other carriers, it magically will fall down to $200.

if verizon has exclusivity, i hope it's not until the end of that MAP time frame from the image. may 2012 is quite a wait for other carriers. you could always go off contract though

Cipherr

Jtwo said:
We already had this discussion, I thought it was decided that it didn't have a MicroSD slot.

Just sayin' if it does indeed have 32gigs of storage, its directly in line pricewise with the competition.. whether or not thats worth it is still up to you.

Well you have a good point. It may very well be 32GB with no micro SD. If the other carriers price it at 300 then fine, but if this is another case where everyone else sells it for 200, then Ill feel the same sourness towards Verizon.

Al-ibn Kermit said:
omgwut I don't understand why they would do that.

Nexus S didn't either I think, cant remember.

kehs

Banned
gcubed said:
I'm going to the nearest store and overturning magazine racks
I'm about buy a god damn Nokia N9 after seeing Google being all Google

Validation :

yptkqYdH

2 megs of free space after installing Google +

Counter validation :

I just did all this shit my on phone while fucking trashed. Like really trashed... Ask Jtwo.

kehs

Banned
Al-ibn Kermit said:
omgwut I don't understand why they would do that.
They did it on the Nexus S because they had to fit the nfc somewhere, and the sd card was taking up space. I'm guessing now it's because it's a better user experience.

Kaiken

Banned
For all the tears, my grin only gets cheesier. I will finally have my LTE phone soon. A Nexus it will be. No SD Card slot? So what. Only a 5mp Camera? So what. $299? Here's my kidney. Not Global? USA! Out of the way so I may get a better spot in line.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I wish there was a nonLTE version. It just makes me uncomfortable to buy a phone thats meant to be used on LTE when its not offered in my city.

rabhw

Is there somewhere legitimate that I'm unaware of to buy unlocked GSM phones in Canada? You fancy Americans can just walk into Best Buy, not in our foreign land however!

Every site that sells unlocked phones looks extremely sketchy and unreliable, besides carphonewarehouse, and they only ship to UK :(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Is 299 really that crazy? I feel like I should be outraged but it seems completely reasonable. Its just a hundred bucks. I am not rich, too.

Jtwo said:
Is 299 really that crazy? I feel like I should be outraged but it seems completely reasonable. Its just a hundred bucks. I am not rich, too.

Crazy if you're supposed to be an indentured servant for three years and pay $299.

Phones shouldn't exceed $499, all of these things cost $200. A 200% margin is pretty greedy.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:

It's pretty crazy, unless it's an iPhone, then it's okay, actually a bargain.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well, its two years and its packed the gills with brand new technology. Well.. I guess just that screen. Idk, well see what it is when its announced, but it seems like a whole lotta phone no matter what the price. I'm also not of the opinion that phones should be any certain price. If a company wants to make a 1200 dollar super phone, I'm all for it as long as you get what you pay for. From what I know of the nexus and how it compares to other phones on the market it seems like 299 is perfectly reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom