• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
Well, its two years and its packed the gills with brand new technology. Well.. I guess just that screen. Idk, well see what it is when its announced, but it seems like a whole lotta phone no matter what the price. I'm also not of the opinion that phones should be any certain price. If a company wants to make a 1200 dollar super phone, I'm all for it as long as you get what you pay for. From what I know of the nexus and how it compares to other phones on the market it seems like 299 is perfectly reasonable.

It' still running android though.

zoku88

giga said:
Phone/Subsidized/Retail

3GS/Free/$375
4/$99/$550
4S/$200/$650

GSII/$200/$550
Inspire 4G/$100/$450
Infuse 4G/$100/$450
Atrix 4G/$100/$450

Bionic/$300/$589
Charge/$200/$569
Huh, I thought the unsubsidized prices would be less than that (compared to the subsidized price).

I think my G2X was 499. (I think it was 200 on contract? I never really looked.)

Maybe I looked at it wrong and it was 599

xenorevlis said:
My sister just picked up the Samsung Stratosphere, which is Verizon's first (or one of the first) 4GLTE phone with a physical QWERTY.

My Sprint contract is up December (finally going to get rid of my HTC Hero) and I'm switching to the big red as well. Might go for the Stratosphere or Nexus Prime depending on how expensive it all turns out to be...
Stratosphere is a Galaxy S1, basically Verizon's version of the original Samsung Epic 4G on Sprint. better front camera and LTE instead of Wimax, but 95% the same.

Oozer3993

I have my fingers crossed that Best Buy or Amazon or someone will slash $100 off the Prime's price. Not that it matters. I'll probably end up buying it no matter what. I want this phone. I want this phone bad.

Cipherr

Oozer3993 said:
I have my fingers crossed that Best Buy or Amazon or someone will slash $100 off the Prime's price. Not that it matters. I'll probably end up buying it no matter what. I want this phone. I want this phone bad.

6 or 8 weeks after its out you will be able to slash 100 to 200 off if you buy from Amazon, Letstalk, Wirefly or one of the other third party resellers. Even the Galaxy S2 that just came out like a month ago is down to $99.99 on Sprint at Amazon mobile. The prices just fall so quickly.

AVclub

So I'm kinda pissed and hoping someone's got a fix for this. Today is day 2 with my Samsung Epic 4G Touch and I noticed that the touch screen goes crazy when I have the device plugged in and charging in a power outlet.

I did some googling and found others have similar problems, but don't see any solutions. Can anyone help? Is this a thing that only some phones have? If I get it replaced, is it likely that another one won't have it?

Basically, when trying to type or click on stuff, the screen registered random touches and swipes. I tried to type a text message and a bunch of incorrect letters types themselves. I try moving icons and they zip around. Once I unplug the thing, it works fine.

Please help!

Cipherr

AVclub said:
So I'm kinda pissed and hoping someone's got a fix for this. Today is day 2 with my Samsung Epic 4G Touch and I noticed that the touch screen goes crazy when I have the device plugged in and charging in a power outlet.

I did some googling and found others have similar problems, but don't see any solutions. Can anyone help? Is this a thing that only some phones have? If I get it replaced, is it likely that another one won't have it?

Basically, when trying to type or click on stuff, the screen registered random touches and swipes. I tried to type a text message and a bunch of incorrect letters types themselves. I try moving icons and they zip around. Once I unplug the thing, it works fine.

Please help!

I remember hearing about that same bug, but on a different phone. I forget what caused it though. Think it had something to do with the charger or the wattage or something weird.

Edit: Yeah looking online, looks like its sometimes common with aftermarket chargers (cheaper ones) and sometimes with the official chargers. Most people claimed switching chargers fixed it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man... that just happens. My droid is the same way, its like its possessed by a ghost. Gone through two of these phones, btw. Take it back? But I'm not optimistic it won't crop up in the new one.

AVclub

Cipherr said:
I remember hearing about that same bug, but on a different phone. I forget what caused it though. Think it had something to do with the charger or the wattage or something weird.
Yeah, that's what I saw on message boards. However, I'm using a stock charger and my phone was plugged into a power strip that has a built in surge suppressor. My UPS has a readout that says I get a steady 121 Volts. I know that's on the high side, but I was always under the impression that electrical devices just draw what they need. They don't suck in all the available power.

AVclub said:

Please help!
yeah, that's a common problem with capacitive screens and it varies greatly based on all sorts of variables like house wiring, charger brand/type, etc... and even 2 of the exact same phone under the same set of circumstances exhibit different behavior.

Argyle

AVclub said:

Please help!
This totally happens when I use the USB port on my cheap external battery charger...it's the only charger that did this with both my old Epic and my new Epic Touch.

A new charger will sort it out but it sucks that the one in your box isn't working correctly :(

nib95 said:
So are Nexus Prime specs finally confirmed?

There seem to be too many rumors on specs to nail down anything on this. It's a big read (but interesting), this guy at the android central forums lays it down in this post pretty nicely, kind of a recap:

sushiglobster said:
Okay, things are becoming messy quite fast as I'm sure those observing the rumor mill probably expected this.

According to Droid Life, there will be 2 versions of this phone. So...here are the spec lists of each phone.

Info pulled from Droid Life.

Galaxy Nexus (Exclusive for Verizon)
Release: October of this year

Part Number: SCH-I515 (LTE Version)

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
9mm thin
4.65-inch 1280 x 720-pixel Super AMOLED HD with curved glass
TI OMAP 4460 dual-core Cortex A9 processor clocked at 1.2GHz
1GB of RAM
32GB of built-in storage
5-megapixel camera on the back, 1.3-megapixel in the front
1080p HD video capture support
LTE/HSPA depending on carrier
Wi-Fi a/b/g/n
NFC
1,750 mAh battery

Nexus Prime (for everyone, but Verizon)
Release: Early next year (Maybe even earlier given it has just passed through the FCC) See "Edit 5" down below.

Part Number: GT-I9250 (GSM Version)

*******now get ready for this...*******

9mm thin
***Samsung Exynos processor clocked at 1.5Ghz
***PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU (same as the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S)
1GB of RAM
32GB of built-in storage
***8-megapixel camera on the back, 1.3-megapixel in the front
Wi-Fi a/b/g/n
NFC
***2,050 mAh battery

First of all....none of this is official and all rumored. They say these specs are coming from anonymous inside tipsters. Take with a big chunk of salt.

Second, I don't know about you, but if those specs turn our legit for the non-Verizon (the Nexus Prime)....well...I will be very disappointed.

Too good to be true? Probably....maybe...?

Nonetheless, I made this new thread to help consolidate all the specs running around. I will edit this first post as I refresh the usual Android sites. Also, because I'm bored.

Sources:

Possible “Nexus Prime” Specs Sneak Out This Afternoon, This Isn’t the Galaxy Nexus (Updated) - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Samsung Galaxy Nexus Details Leak: Fully Stock Experience and a Verizon Exclusive - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

EDIT: I think the first set of specs are quite underwhelming. I also think the 2nd row of specs are much more deserving of a killer (Prime) phone. We know the Exynos 1.5ghz chip was just announced so the possibility of that even existing in a Verizon Nexus phone is slim considering a release date of October. The whole 5MP vs. 8MP camera is again, arguable...I know early rumors pointed to a 5MP camera with improved low light sensors which would make a big different for sure. So either way, 5MP or 8MP it shouldn't really matter. Battery life...the 1750 sound realistic and the 2050 just sounds like wishful thinking. I can only see such a battery being in this phone if the battery was non-removable.

All rumors pointed to a true Google Experience, Nexus phone coming to Verizon, why on Earth it would be called a Galaxy Nexus and NOT a Nexus Prime is beyond me....and why Verizon would get the short end of the stick specs wise is again, pretty lame. Why they can't just make one badass phone, I have no idea.

Let's debate!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT 2: If there are 2 versions of this phone, it would make sense that the Exynos goes in the other non-verizon units as it doesn't support Verizon's LTE service. That would mean TI OMAP for Verizon and Exynos for non LTE carriers (everybody else). So...this could be legit. A LTE version for Verizon with OK specs....and non-LTE version for everyone else...making up for the lack of LTE with super beefy specs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT 3: So, here's another set of specs...no idea for what carrier this would be, but maybe these are universal specs. Not as detailed as the other spec lists but yea...here you go:

Display: 4.65-inch HD(1280x720) Super AMOLED
Camera: 8 megapixel (flash)/2 megapixel on the front
Battery: 1850 mAh
Value added features: 1.5GHz dual core AP, embedded 16GB memory,
Bluetooth 3.0 HS, WiFi a/b/g/n

Source: General ***Official Nexus Prime Specifications, Speculations and Rumors thread*** (specs/pix 10/6)) - Page 65 - Android Forums

EDIT 4: Even more random specs showing up. Over from the XDA Developer forums someone provides these specs from the "prototype" model. (THANKS user: Phantomash)

1.1280×720 pixels / 4.65" / 315ppi
2.16GB internal storage and 1GB RAM (micro sd extension no supported)
3.The prototype unit was running a dual-core cpu at 1.2....no info if it was the new exynos but he thinks production model will be clocked at 1.5Ghrz like galaxy S2 (the prototype of galaxys2 was running a 1Ghrz CPU)
4. 5MP back campera and 1.3 in front
5.Ice Cream Sandwich is very similar to honeycomb.
6.No metal back cover but instead a plastic one in champagne colour and a little rough like GS2.
7.No info about battery capacity cause they haven't decided yet...
8.Vodafone exclusive in Europe with a November launch...
9.Samsung Galaxy Nexus is the official Name.

Again, unconfirmed stuff, but I thought I'd post it in here anyways.

Linky: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1293124

EDIT 5: ALSO, it would appear that Part Number: GT-I9250 has just passed through the FCC with ATT radio frequencies. This device features NO LTE. (THANKS users: Boondoc for the heads up and Scottatron for the links!)

So I suppose there will be 2 versions of this phone...that is of course if the GT-I9250 is indeed a Nexus or a similar phone with slightly different changes and without the Nexus title. Maybe this phone will have the Exynos 1.5Ghz CPU in it, something that Droid Life hinted at. See the original post way above for the supposed specs of the GT-I9250.

Links for proof: Samsung Nexus Prime (GT-I9250) Passes Through FCC With AT&T/World Bands

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...='A3LGTI9250

I really hope we don't get a weaker version than whatever the GT-I9250 will be. That would be disappointing.

Anyone have any ideas or opinions on what GT-I9250 might actually be if it's not a Nexus phone or rehashed version of what Verizon is getting?

My hope is that it's just the same hardware but with different radios in it....LTE vs. GSM.

Donos

Cipherr said:
Well you have a good point. It may very well be 32GB with no micro SD. If the other carriers price it at 300 then fine, but if this is another case where everyone else sells it for 200, then Ill feel the same sourness towards Verizon.

Nexus S didn't either I think, cant remember.

Are you kidding? i raged about this at the release of the Nexus S.
How can a smartphone in 2011 (except IPs) don't have microsd slot... i just. Why don't remove the changeable battery when we are at it?
hmm.

Just a thought, wouldn't the Nexus have listed with 32GB like the tablets?

BootlegSnackz said:
There seem to be too many rumors on specs to nail down anything on this. It's a big read (but interesting), this guy at the android central forums lays it down in this post pretty nicely, kind of a recap:
Those specs talk about an SOC that doesn't exist. Pay them no attention. No Android phone is going to ship with a GPU on par with the SGX543MP2 for at least 9 months.

wario said:
was expecting quad-core and 1080p screen, haha.
I'm struggling to see why there's such a desire for a quad core A9 design anyway, there's just not the software to take advantage of it. They're an ill advised stop gap designed for marketing rather than performance. There's nothing interesting on the CPU front until A15 and Krait based designs hit late next year.

JonnyBrad

No chance of it being "vodafone exclusive" in Europe. They don't do deals europe wide at all. It doesn't matter anyway as in europe we can always buy the unlocked phones straight away anyhow :)

3phemeral

AVclub said:

Please help!
This only happened to me when I used a cheap USB adapter on my D2, instead of the actual AC adapter connection. Otherwise, it would be fine using it while charging. I was reading that it has something to do with a different voltage...or something?

Donos

JonnyBrad said:
No chance of it being "vodafone exclusive" in Europe. They don't do deals europe wide at all. It doesn't matter anyway as in europe we can always buy the unlocked phones straight away anyhow :)

Yurop ! Fuck Yeah (without the greeks)

Carrier branded phones are usual 50€ cheaper than with stock rom but XDA always has the vanilla stock roms pretty early up for flashing. my desire hd had Vodafone rom with some bloatware and logo bootscreen so i put the stock rom on it.

wario

looks like verizon's got the best selection of top tier android phones coming up:

htc rezound - 1.5ghz dual-core, 1gb ram, 4.3" 720p, lte
samsung galaxy prime - 1.2ghz dual-core, 1gb ram, 4.65" 720p, lte
moto droid razr - 1.2ghz dual-core, 1gb ram, 4.3" qHD, lte

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
wario said:
looks like verizon's got the best selection of top tier android phones coming up:

eh, the HTC is another HTC, no different from the Sensation, Holiday, Sensation XL except for the screen rez and LTE. The rest are only worth mentioning, imo

Why they can't just make one badass phone, I have no idea.

Because there's no money with everyone getting one

Lesiroth

wario said:

Yes, but the other carriers will the true Prime instead of this faker :p

9mm thin
***Samsung Exynos processor clocked at 1.5Ghz
***PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU (same as the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S)
1GB of RAM
32GB of built-in storage
***8-megapixel camera on the back, 1.3-megapixel in the front
Wi-Fi a/b/g/n
NFC
***2,050 mAh battery

If that exists, and has Super AMOLED+ HD (as was rumoured would be ready for release in Q1 2012) It would be the perfect phone.

I'd buy ten.

JCX

That's a big battery in the Nexus Prime.

Is the new RAZR only a RAZR in name only? I want a hip, but fragile flip phone.

Emily Chu

Banned
Say im grandfathered into a 3g unlimited plan and the contract enda june 2012 can i upgrade to a 4g unlimited ?

And if i buy a nexus prime unlocked lte can i activated this phone on a existing 3g contract ?

The verizon one and non verizone prime

Can they both be activated on verizon if unlocked ?

All this is verizon

sneaky77

Emily Chu said:
Say im grandfathered into a 3g unlimited plan and the contract enda june 2012 can i upgrade to a 4g unlimited ?

And if i buy a nexus prime unlocked lte can i activated this phone on a existing 3g contract ?

All this is verizon

There is no difference in pricing between 3G and 4G it should upgrade the phone without issues

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Emily Chu said:

All this is verizon

The (presumably) non-verizon one is GSM, which can't work on Verizon's CDMA network. As for the other questions, if you're in a 3G unlimited I was told you could upgrade it 4G and still keep your unlimited. Pretty sure the verizon version will be locked to verizon.

gcubed

TouchMyBox said:
If that exists, and has Super AMOLED+ HD (as was rumoured would be ready for release in Q1 2012) It would be the perfect phone.

I'd buy ten.

its most likely the GS3. Android blogging is horrendous

gcubed

lol, reading the GS2 review from anandtech again

"GLBenchmark 2.1 now includes the ability to render the test offscreen at a resolution of 1280 x 720. This is not as desirable as being able to set custom resolutions since it's a bit too high for smartphones but it's better than nothing.

brain_stew said:
It's nothing, no such SOC exists, proving the whole thing is simply made up. People need to get better at starting rumours.

Yeah, that's the huge hole in the rumour.

Though, if someone were making such a chip, it would be samsung.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom