• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

I'm going to say no, just because it's cheaper to go with pentile and most people seem to not notice especially at such a high resolution.

The reason why its pentile is because Samsung hasn't been able to make the screen that small in HD. Once they can, it will be in their phones.

Doopliss

The only thing I don't like about SwiftKey now is that none of the size settings match the stock ICS keyboard. 'Normal' is bigger and 'small' is smaller.

Circle T

Yours is actually desirable

I actually really liked the Nitro (Optimus LTE), the hardware at least. The screen was great, it was a nice size, and the materials felt great. As usual, though, it was let down the instant you turn it on, and see LG's horrific Android implementation. Sadly, since LG devices just don't sell well, their developer support is often really lacking to match. CM9 would do wonders for them.

I checked the last few pages, but didn't see anything, so here goes:

Do we have an official release for outside of Europe for the Galaxy, and will it be worth the wait to hold out for it over the Evo LTE now that it has been officiall unveiled?

Anyone think that the next Nexus will get a non pentile screen? Either way I'm getting it since I can upgrade come Aug 25th.

depends on the yields they can attain while manufacturing screens with 50% more elements in the same space.

Do we have an official release for outside of Europe for the Galaxy, and will it be worth the wait to hold out for it over the Evo LTE now that it has been officiall unveiled?

an actual day? no.

worth the wait? do you like AMOLED? removable batteries? or kickstands?

Circle T

Samsung said "June" today, but no specific date. US versions are almost 100% likely to include the Qualcomm S4, just like the AT&T One X and Sprint Evo LTE, so performance should be very similar across the board. Software, screen, etc, will be pretty much the only differences.

So is there any major reason to wait for the S3 over the Nexus that's out right now? The camera is better, but is the dual to quad processor expected to be a huge jump? I like the Nexus only being $400, getting updates first, and seems like an alright phone all around. Is there anything you would suggest would be worth waiting until the S3 makes it to the US, whenever that is? I'm assuming it'll be like $700 or so unlocked so would it be worth the difference in price? I know it'll be better but is it that much better?

Edit: Is there any slowdown on the nexus when switching stuff? My exhibit ii 4g freezes for a couple seconds and just goes slow when receiving text messages or some sort of notification like that. Is that pretty much nonexistent on phones like the nexus or it still happens?

Edit 2: Is there any "crappy" software HTC uses like samsung has touchwiz or are they essentially vanilla?

kehs

Banned

CES was in february , which is when they undoubtedly first presented devices to carriers. Considering the six month testing/engineering period ibwould not expect anything earlier than august for Verizon and sprint and July for tmo and att.

gcubed

The battery life will be better with an integrate LTE modem.

HTC has Sense, a just as crappy or more so skin.

Some other things if you like modding you won't want an HTC. Removable batteries, etc

tino

Banned
So is there any major reason to wait for the S3 over the Nexus that's out right now? The camera is better, but is the dual to quad processor expected to be a huge jump? I like the Nexus only being $400, getting updates first, and seems like an alright phone all around. Is there anything you would suggest would be worth waiting until the S3 makes it to the US, whenever that is? I'm assuming it'll be like $700 or so unlocked so would it be worth the difference in price? I know it'll be better but is it that much better?

Edit: Is there any slowdown on the nexus when switching stuff? My exhibit ii 4g freezes for a couple seconds and just goes slow when receiving text messages or some sort of notification like that. Is that pretty much nonexistent on phones like the nexus or it still happens?

Edit 2: Is there any "crappy" software HTC uses like samsung has touchwiz or are they essentially vanilla?

I think S3 will have much longer battery life than Galaxy Nexus due to new soc and battery.

But yeah about $300 more expensive, so its your call. I am waiting for TMobile Note myself. These fast chips does nothing to me. I haven't seen any Android app that demand more power than my 1ghz HD2 yet.

I think S3 will have much longer battery life than Galaxy Nexus due to new soc and battery.

But yeah about $300 more expensive, so its your call. I am waiting for TMobile Note myself. These fast chips does nothing to me. I haven't seen any Android app that demand more power than my 1ghz HD2 yet.

Is there a release date for a TMobile Note? Is it coming to the US?

New SwiftKey 3 Beta Now Available, Offers A Handful Of Highly-Requested Fixes
  • Improved the UI: there is now a dedicated comma key, and the <123> key is now in the bottom-left corner. And of course you still have the larger spacebar.
  • Refined the Smart Punctuation pop-up.
  • Reintroduced the Long-press duration setting.
  • Improved Smart Space functionality.
  • Further reduced lag on some devices.
  • Fixed a number of bugs, including the missing decimal point in the numpad and the "What's New" dialog popping up all the time.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...e-offers-a-handful-of-highly-requested-fixes/

Thank god. I nearly downgraded because that shit was so annoying.

Samsung said "June" today, but no specific date. US versions are almost 100% likely to include the Qualcomm S4, just like the AT&T One X and Sprint Evo LTE, so performance should be very similar across the board. Software, screen, etc, will be pretty much the only differences.

an actual day? no.

worth the wait? do you like AMOLED? removable batteries? or kickstands?

AMOLED -Well, I do really like the screens on the Galaxy II, but I've never seen a SuperLCD screen before. I generally don't like LCD screens because of the black levels, but I suppose that is a different matter.

Removable batteries - Yes, I do like them.

Kickstands - Cool! I wouldn't miss it though, as I played with it more than I actually ever used it lol

The battery life will be better with an integrate LTE modem.

HTC has Sense, a just as crappy or more so skin.

Some other things if you like modding you won't want an HTC. Removable batteries, etc
Wait, the Evo doesn't have a removable battery? That is a downside...and the Galaxy will be more mod friendly? That is a big plus, because I plan on doing it the first chance I get to either phone.

CES was in february , which is when they undoubtedly first presented devices to carriers. Considering the six month testing/engineering period ibwould not expect anything earlier than august for Verizon and sprint and July for tmo and att.
August? Well, I would have to get an Evo by default if that happened.

th3dude

New SwiftKey 3 Beta Now Available, Offers A Handful Of Highly-Requested Fixes
  • Improved the UI: there is now a dedicated comma key, and the <123> key is now in the bottom-left corner. And of course you still have the larger spacebar.
  • Refined the Smart Punctuation pop-up.
  • Reintroduced the Long-press duration setting.
  • Improved Smart Space functionality.
  • Further reduced lag on some devices.
  • Fixed a number of bugs, including the missing decimal point in the numpad and the "What's New" dialog popping up all the time.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...e-offers-a-handful-of-highly-requested-fixes/

Wow, this is pretty nice! My first go with SwiftKey.

AndyD

aka andydumi
is there a way to update it or do i have to install the beta 3 apk (so swiftkey has to learn everything new and i loose the settings?)

Edit: no update. APK download :(

Download anew only. But I think it keeps the learn settings.

So Sprint's Evo LTE doesn't have a removable battery(fuck), but it does have the microSD slot(thank goodness). Is it removable at all(even by voiding the warrenty) or is it just integrated and not even worth the trouble?

Toki767

So Sprint's Evo LTE doesn't have a removable battery(fuck), but it does have the microSD slot(thank goodness). Is it removable at all(even by voiding the warrenty) or is it just integrated and not even worth the trouble?

It doesn't have a removable battery because it's a unibody shell.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I hope buyers/owners of Swiftkey X can update for free to the final version.

Doubt it. Owners of Swiftkey did not get X, and as owners of X I have a feeling we wont get 3 either. They make it into a new app so you have to buy it rather than making it an update to the same app. Its a $1-2 well spent though.

Circle T

Mostly conjecture on my part, but that's pretty much how they've been with part Galaxies.

It would seem that them actually announcing "June" during the presser indicates that they are wanting to get the US launch closer to the ROW version. I'm hoping we'll see something in the next few weeks. Didn't they say something about a product tour starting May 29th during the show? It had New York listed as a location. Maybe details then?

jokkir

Hmmm... can't decide if I should switch to Swiftkey as my default keyboard. The ICS keyboard has been great so far but it's been off for a few weeks now. I think it learned all my typos by accident >__>

kehs

Banned
It would seem that them actually announcing "June" during the presser indicates that they are wanting to get the US launch closer to the ROW version. I'm hoping we'll see something in the next few weeks. Didn't they say something about a product tour starting May 29th during the show? It had New York listed as a location. Maybe details then?

I haven't listened to the full show yet, but it would be a first if they can get a coordinated release.

Although a month from now for release for a carrier phone would be a first. We haven't gotten rom leak or blurry pics yet. =P

After moving to Swype, I find it absolutely impossible to go back to any hunt and peck style keyboards.

Yeah. You should feel pity for me, because after my swipe enabled Evo got busted, I was forced to use my old windows 6.5 based HTC Touch. I've pretty much stopped texting because of both how terrible it is, and not having swipe lol. The 18th can't come soon enough I tell you.

AndyD

aka andydumi
After moving to Swype, I find it absolutely impossible to go back to any hunt and peck style keyboards.

I was on swype for about 4-5 months and gave it up because I missed the ease of use of Swiftkey. The prediction is infinitely better so it made it so much easier to communicate. Typing a text or email in 4-5 clicks is so satisfying. Plus i felt that swype is missing some essential options that swiftkey has.

Ephemeris

They should remove side loading to protection their users and network.

ibvsaFTVvnaE79.gif

I'm REALLY reconsidering this Evo LTE shit due to all of this. I mean, how serious is this? Can I not boot a rom without a trace of Sense? That is all I ask.

kehs

Banned
I'm REALLY reconsidering this Evo LTE shit due to all of this. I mean, how serious is this? Can I not boot a rom without a trace of Sense? That is all I ask.

What do you think these are, $700 computers with input, displays, processors, network radios, ram and storage on board?

(I'd give it a few weeks or months before settling out, too much nonsense floating around so close to announcements)

Al-ibn Kermit

Hi Andriod Gaf,

I'm seriously thinking about making the jump from my iphone to the Sony Xperia S, I've never used an andriod device before so I'm a little hesitant in making the switch. Is there any I should know before jumping in?

It seems like a good all-around phone. What are your main reasons for wanting to switch?

Edit: I meant the Xperia S.

liger05

so remember how after unlocking the bootloader, the HTC One X still didn't let you do stuff like replace the bootloader?

Well, you can't even unlock the AT&T version!

http://phandroid.com/2012/05/03/att...-locked-up-other-variants-get-off-scott-free/

HTC are crazy. Now I know the % of people who want to do this is small but on the one hand they come big delievering a quality product which is well recieved and in a sense puts HTC back in the game but then with the other hand they do there best to upset the power useing community.

Didnt Motorola do the same thing with a droid?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Advice time GAF.

My friend asked me to recommend a smartphone for her and her husband. This is the first time they will have a smartphone, and they want something to get started with.

Restrictions: Verizon, Android, less than $50 per phone. All US retail options are OK, including online.

What's good? A Droid Bionic, a plain Razr, Incredible 2?

Edit: Upgrades. They are on Verizon now, no contract, but have never had a smartphone. I suggested they call them up and see if they have any special offers.

th3dude

Advice time GAF.

My friend asked me to recommend a smartphone for her and her husband. This is the first time they will have a smartphone, and they want something to get started with.

Restrictions: Verizon, Android, less than $50 per phone. All US retail options are OK, including online.

What's good? A Droid Bionic, a plain Razr, Incredible 2?

New accounts or will these be upgrades?

Amazon has great discounts for new accounts.

If new accounts, you can get the Galaxy Nexus for $49.99. That's my advice.

Upgrades are a bit tougher. For example, upgrade price on the Nexus is $149.99.

QP3

Hello again Android GAF,

So I am slowly falling in love with the Droid Razr, but I have a Macbook Pro. Does anyone here have an Android Phone, but use an apple computer? If so, how compatible are the two in terms of sharing photos, music, etc.?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom