• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

I'm REALLY reconsidering this Evo LTE shit due to all of this. I mean, how serious is this? Can I not boot a rom without a trace of Sense? That is all I ask.

Well, right now:

According to Mr. Obrien, he and a few others are being greeted by a “MID ERROR 160″ when attempting to unlock the bootloader on the AT&T One X through HTCDev. Again, this error hasn’t showed up when unlocking the Euro or Canadian version of the One X and seems to be a unique issue only to the AT&T version. There’s a wide range of reasons why a carrier would want to go through the trouble of requesting a device’s bootloader remain locked and it’s also very possible that a future update could fix this roadblock. But as it stands today, the HTC One X on AT&T is currently un-unlockable.

This doesn't mean the HTC EVO for Sprint will follow that same path. Its possible, but its not yet known. I would have never take the AT&T version over the GS3 anyway. No MicroSD, no sale. But the EVO on the other hand has my attention. As of right now this doesn't seem to be an HTC thing, but an AT&T thing.

Advice time GAF.

My friend asked me to recommend a smartphone for her and her husband. This is the first time they will have a smartphone, and they want something to get started with.

Restrictions: Verizon, Android, less than $50 per phone. All US retail options are OK, including online.

What's good? A Droid Bionic, a plain Razr, Incredible 2?

Edit: Upgrades. They are on Verizon now, no contract, but have never had a smartphone. I suggested they call them up and see if they have any special offers.

well, if $50 is the absolute limit, then Droid Bionic is $50 on Amazon or Wirefly

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hello again Android GAF,

So I am slowly falling in love with the Droid Razr, but I have a Macbook Pro. Does anyone here have an Android Phone, but use an apple computer? If so, how compatible are the two in terms of sharing photos, music, etc.?

Thanks!

If you use Google Music and Google+ then it's completely seamless. Android is very OS-neutral in that sense.

If you don't, well... you might want to start thinking about it. :p

Well, right now:

This doesn't mean the HTC EVO for Sprint will follow that same path. Its possible, but its not yet known. I would have never take the AT&T version over the GS3 anyway. No MicroSD, no sale. But the EVO on the other hand has my attention. As of right now this doesn't seem to be an HTC thing, but an AT&T thing.

That makes me feel a lot better. I would have nearly considered holding out until the Galaxy hit is that were to happen. Guess we will play the waiting game and see.

tino

Banned
Yeah the Nexus is like an angel in comparison, although I've never been a fan of Samsung's designs in general. IMO it's HTC > Sony > Moto > Samsung.
My order:
Nokia > Apple > Sony > Moto > HTC > samsung

Basically the better looking the phone, the less useful (as a potential purchase) to me.

The GSIII only reaffirms my decision to get the Galaxy Nexus. It's more evolution than revolution, and considering how Samsung dominates all Android phone makers in profits it's not hard to see why.

kehs

Banned
Has there been any movement with vizios standalone google tv box?

I'm really getting tired of using a regular box to look through content that's showing right now.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Hello again Android GAF,

So I am slowly falling in love with the Droid Razr, but I have a Macbook Pro. Does anyone here have an Android Phone, but use an apple computer? If so, how compatible are the two in terms of sharing photos, music, etc.?

Thanks!
I use an Xperia S with my mac - it came with this 'Sony Bridge' software which while not 100% reliable it seems to work pretty well. If the phone uses MTP it won't show up in the Finder but if it is Android 3.0 or later I believe you can use 'Android File Transfer' to copy your content to it.

Now that I've got the bulk of my music & videos on the phone via Bridge+USB I just use Airdroid to add extra stuff that I need over wifi. You could also use a File manager on the phone to access your mac to copy files over wirelessly.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
welp, I'm trying what has to be my 8th ROM for the t-mo SGS2. Now that the official ICS release has been leaked devs should have an easier time to work with it. I'm actually really missing my Vibrant :(

Something I really don't get about play store, why didn't they filter the "All" column under my apps to show your purchased items at the top? Or even have a separate column for them? Took me ages yesterday to filter through all the apps I've downloaded to grab my purchased games.

Yeah the Nexus is like an angel in comparison, although I've never been a fan of Samsung's designs in general. IMO it's HTC > Sony > Moto > Samsung.

I think the S2 is a beautiful phone. It was a big part of why I wanted it.

The S3 just looks... cheap? I don't know what it is. The shape has a large part to play in it, I guess. It's really a step backwards in design.

panda21

i'm not 100% sure how android OS naming works, is Jelly Bean going to be 4.1? historically was there significant differences between 2.1/2.2/2.3 etc? will it basically just be ICS but with some improvements under the hood and minor feature updates or something?

i'm not 100% sure how android OS naming works, is Jelly Bean going to be 4.1? historically was there significant differences between 2.1/2.2/2.3 etc? will it basically just be ICS but with some improvements under the hood and minor feature updates or something?

does it matter if it's 4.1 or 5.0?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's getting pretty annoying how Samsung still hasn't announced release plans for the note 10.1.

tokkun

i just meant in terms of how much different it will be. calling it 4.1 implies a minor upgrade rather than something like the gingerbread to ics switch.

but i have no idea how similar 2.0/2.1 etc were so maybe that is wrong.

The general trend that I've observed has been that major version releases (2.0, 3.0, 4.0) have had significant UI changes.

Minor version releases (2.1, 2.2, etc.) have had significant changes that were "behind the scenes" - i.e. in the APIs that developers work with.

Point releases (4.0.1, 4.0.2, etc.) are usually bug fixes.

But there is no guarantee that this naming pattern will continue. Certainly there is a marketing aspect to version numbers as well.

NEO0MJ

So the screen of my Samsung Galaxy S1(international) just broke and fixing it will cost me as much as a new one. I've been considering buying the HTC One X(international) and was wondering if there was anything I should know before making the switch. Just how different are their OS etc.?

Red

well, if $50 is the absolute limit, then Droid Bionic is $50 on Amazon or Wirefly
As a Bionic owner, I would say avoid recommending it if you can. It is okay, but even after several updates it is prone to random connectivity issues and in general is not fluid to use. You'd think a dual core phone would be pretty swift, but the Bionic proves that's not always the case.

I am not exaggerating when I say it sometimes takes the camera over 30 seconds to load, which is ridiculous.

http://blog.steventroughtonsmith.com/2012/05/2007s-pre-m3-version-of-android-google.html

DSC01195.jpg

DSC01199.jpg

DSC01200.jpg

home.png

allapps.png

really disgusted about this HTC One X bootloader business...

It's really beating back my urge to go pick up this phone tomorrow morning.

Still don't know what i'm going to do.

Rooting is still possible without a bootloader unlock, right?

I mean my atrix was rooted before i was able to unlock the bootloader.

kehs

Banned
really disgusted about this HTC One X bootloader business...

It's really beating back my urge to go pick up this phone tomorrow morning.

Still don't know what i'm going to do.

Rooting is still possible without a bootloader unlock, right?

I mean my atrix was rooted before i was able to unlock the bootloader.

It's only the ATT HTC X, not the international one, btw.

But a workaround is usually found anyways.

----

Guy! GUYS! Cliq 2 getting Gingerbread!Instrutions for installation. What you thought it'd be OTA?

3phemeral

Something I really don't get about play store, why didn't they filter the "All" column under my apps to show your purchased items at the top? Or even have a separate column for them? Took me ages yesterday to filter through all the apps I've downloaded to grab my purchased games.
You think finding a proper way to organize all your apps would have been one of the first things they worked out before redesigning it. On my GNex, I literally had every single device in my Play Store, including ones I had uninstalled from older devices. Was super irritating when a large portion of my apps were not synced automatically and I had to fish through the entire list.

What makes it worse is that it doesn't remember the last spot on the list you were at. Once you head back from installing an app, pressing the back button takes you right back to the top of the "all" list.

Seems a no-brainer at the very least to have installed, purchased (grouped w/ key if separate), not installed. I hate redundancy in organization so that's why I hate the "installed" + "all" tabs. Not only do you have to search through uninstalled apps, but things that are already on your phone are listed in the already gigantic list.

Have they allowed you to delete devices from your play history yet? I hate seeing old devices I've sold/given away to family members still linked to my account.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I agree with the above. I also wish it would let us go to the store online and/or our history, select a list and hit install to device. And also share those lists to others.

Got my One X today.

Holy shit, the screen is amazing. I used a GS2 and an iPhone 4 in the past few months, and there's no contest here, the screen of the One X is so much better.

SOG9D.jpg

Cipherr

Got my One X today.

Holy shit, the screen is amazing. I used a GS2 and an iPhone 4 in the past few months, and there's no contest here, the screen of the One X is so much better.

SOG9D.jpg

DAT SCREEN. Mannn, theres just no way the S3 screen can compete with that IMO.

Ecto311

Checked back a few pages but thought I would ask - One X tomorrow or wait for the S3?

I had the S2 for a bit and really liked it but returned it because the day after I got it I heard about the S3 coming soon.

The removable battery and SD card seem to be the big differences. Most of the sites I have seen info from show the camera on the OneX to be better and that means more to me than the battery or SD card.

ep85

They actually just held a hackathon for google TV, pretty sure the next push is going to be pretty big.

I hope so, man. I like what Google is doing with Google TV but their execution was horrible. Two years on the market and we only had the Revue and Sony's offerings.

Any reason you chose the grey over the white? I've been lusting after white ever since it was announced but lately I've been eyeing the grey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom