• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Got my One X today.

Holy shit, the screen is amazing. I used a GS2 and an iPhone 4 in the past few months, and there's no contest here, the screen of the One X is so much better.

SOG9D.jpg

dat physical buttons :/

Husker86

Wow, hiding the nav bar in AOKP is fuckin awesome. I knew the feature was there but didn't think I'd like it.

If only there were an iPad-like home gesture.

Circle T

Possibly, it looks likes it's a popular handset. Might be good to arrive early. Or at least pre-order

I can't speak for every store, but I heard from the reps at my store that they only have 1 phone to sell on launch tomorrow. They got a handful of them in, but I guess there will be 4 of them on display, and those come out of inventory I believe, so that only leaves 1 or 2 to sell. Should replenish pretty well this week, I would imagine, but Sun-Mon-Tues might be a bit light it sounds.

Wow, hiding the nav bar in AOKP is fuckin awesome. I knew the feature was there but didn't think I'd like it.

If only there were an iPad-like home gesture.

I used to do this with ADW. I would hide the Nav bar, and then only have the app drawer button in the main dock. I would then use "Swipe-down" to reveal the Nav bar, and "Swipe-up" to reveal the ADW mini-dock. Was really nice, as it let me keep a clean and minimal homescreen.

That One X pic is making the wait until the 18th so unbearable. At least let it hurry up and be the 7th so I can preorder. I need to feel some sense of accomplishment and progression :^(

3phemeral

Oh....that's super lame.

You have the option to display those in that menu, I don't recall it being default. I'll try to check it out since I've never tried it, but I don't recall there being any swipe-related actions to get it to reappear other than just having it gone permanently. But if the only way to get it back is either re-enabling it or long pressing the power button, it is pretty pointless.

I hope so, man. I like what Google is doing with Google TV but their execution was horrible. Two years on the market and we only had the Revue and Sony's offerings.

Any reason you chose the grey over the white? I've been lusting after white ever since it was announced but lately I've been eyeing the grey.

I was actually planning to get the white version, looked very nice in the reviews. But once I saw them in store side by side, I decided to get the grey one.

The back of the phone has some kind of coating which seems to make it hard to clean, so I went for the one on which stains are less obvious.

kinggroin

Banned
I just use it for web browsing right now. Gestures are badly needed.

There's already a mod on xda that lets you make gestures to control the full screen. Can't remember the name though.

I'd love to use my GN the way I do my iPad (read: completely gestured controlled).

NEO0MJ

So the screen of my Samsung Galaxy S1(international) just broke and fixing it will cost me as much as a new one. I've been considering buying the HTC One X(international) and was wondering if there was anything I should know before making the switch. Just how different are their OS etc.?

Help?

Also, does turning it on before charging affect the battery life? Pretty sure it's no but want to make sure first before turning it on at the store to check for dead pixels.

kehs

Banned
Help?

Also, does turning it on before charging affect the battery life? Pretty sure it's no but want to make sure first before turning it on at the store to check for dead pixels.

Same OS, different superficial look, and different version. Your S1 is on 2.3 Gingerbread, the One X is going to be on 4.0 ICS, but everything you were using before you'll be able to use on it.

Turning on before fully charging isn't a problem anymore, and hasn't been for a while now.

For those wanting a browser that's jumps straight to top/bottom of page download ICS Browser+ on play store, enable quick controls and jump to top/bottom are options you can enable in the first ring.

Edit: oh, turns out that you don't have to enable quick controls, you can tap on the navigation bar to jump to top.

NEO0MJ

Same OS, different superficial look, and different version. Your S1 is on 2.3 Gingerbread, the One X is going to be on 4.0 ICS, but everything you were using before you'll be able to use on it.

Turning on before fully charging isn't a problem anymore, and hasn't been for a while now.

Good to know. A few of my friends were saying that the HTC version of android OS has a terrible interface and is difficult to work with.

Husker86

Good to know. A few of my friends were saying that the HTC version of android OS has a terrible interface and is difficult to work with.
My GN is my first non HTC Android phone and I never had any huge complaints about Sense. It actually still has a few more features than stock Android such as using dialer to spell names to find contacts (yes, custom ROMs have this but that's a whole other thing).

My GN is my first non HTC Android phone and I never had any huge complaints about Sense. It actually still has a few more features than stock Android such as using dialer to spell names to find contacts (yes, custom ROMs have this but that's a whole other thing).

I was amazed that this feature was missing in stock ICS. I figured it would be standard, heck, even my nokia 5800 had this.

Fo' shame, Google.

kinggroin

Banned
I was amazed that this feature was missing in stock ICS. I figured it would be standard, heck, even my nokia 5800 had this.

Fo' shame, Google.

Ditto. My winmo based Omnia from back in the day even had it. Since my first experience with android was the droid x (which also had it), I just assumed it was standard.

Does anyone know of a free/cheap solution to synchronize contacts from Outlook with Android? Basically something like Google Calendar Sync but for contacts.

Got my One X today.

Holy shit, the screen is amazing. I used a GS2 and an iPhone 4 in the past few months, and there's no contest here, the screen of the One X is so much better.

SOG9D.jpg

What weather widget is that? It looks great.

kinggroin

Banned
Does anyone know of a free/cheap solution to synchronize contacts from Outlook with Android? Basically something like Google Calendar Sync but for contacts.

What weather widget is that? It looks great.

Sense stock I believe

As for outlook, can't you just add your exchange account to your phone and only allow contacts to be synced?

Husker86

And it seems they're exclusive to HTC phones :(

Pardon my ignorance, what's an exchange account?
He probably thought you were using Outlook with a work/school Exchange account which is internet connected and not just local on PC.

After using the hide navigation buttons on my GN with AOKP, I'm starting to leave the "hardware buttons suck" club. Browsing is so much nicer with the entire screen. There even is almost enough room on the GN to have buttons under the screen.

He probably thought you were using Outlook with a work/school Exchange account which is internet connected and not just local on PC.

After using the hide navigation buttons on my GN with AOKP, I'm starting to leave the "hardware buttons suck" club. Browsing is so much nicer with the entire screen. There even is almost enough room on the GN to have buttons under the screen.

come back to the right side, team hardware buttons welcomes you with open arms.

I'm really considering going from my iPhone 4s to the HTC One x, tough call I went to a galaxy s2 when it came out and went back to iphone within 3 days...not sure if I should take the plunge or wait to see the GS3...

Played with the one x at Att yesterday it is a sexy ass phone thats for sure.

If they shaped the phone where the screen took up most of the space on the bottom, I wouldn't mind no buttons. But, like you said on the GNex they have all this unused space on the bottom and having on screen buttons just makes the screen really 4.3 inches instead of 4.65.

It's a waste of space.

kehs

Banned
If they shaped the phone where the screen took up most of the space on the bottom, I wouldn't mind no buttons. But, like you said on the GNex they have all this unused space on the bottom and having on screen buttons just makes the screen really 4.3 inches instead of 4.65.

It's a waste of space.

I'm hoping its some kind of future proofing for jellybean and webOS style gestures.

Ephemeris

Bah. Can't decide, so I let GAF decide my phone-fate.

Current status.
1 upgrade available, another one due in Oct.

I could either
a) Get the One S (silver medal to the X. I'm fine with 16GB's, but wish it had expandable storage.)
b) Get the Galaxy Nexus for double the out of pocket cost, but preserve the upgrade. (same as above. And only because I see a ton of 32GB MicroSD deals all over the place lately).
c) Wait for the GS3 (even though the Tegra3 X may eventually hit Tmobile)

Toki767

Current status.

I could either
a) Get the One S (silver medal to the X. I'm fine with 16GB's, but wish it had expandable storage.)
b) Get the Galaxy Nexus for double the out of pocket cost, but preserve the upgrade. (same as above. And only because I see a ton of 32GB MicroSD deals all over the place lately).

Are you in grave need for an update? If you can wait I'd probably just wait for the GS3 since it should come out next month. The Galaxy Nexus doesn't have a MicroSD slot I believe so all those deals won't mean much. The One S is a very solid phone though, but really I'd imagine just based on resolution it won't look as nice as the GS3 since they're both AMOLED.

kehs

Banned

Current status.

I could either

Tmo I assume? Grab the One S, flip it ($500 ish) and buy a GN, then get a GS3 in October.

Galaxy nexus doesn't have expandable memory either btw.

Current status.

I could either

a) Get the One S. Superior camera and good battery life with the S4. I'm sure reception and data connections are also superior based on my past experience with HTC.

Got my One X today.

SOG9D.jpg

Why does Sense make ICS look like a bad Gingerbread rom? My lord, they're even using the old home screen dock and app tray icon.

Screen looks awesome. Too bad the US version is a bootloader-locked, AT&T bloatware-riddled nightmare.

Toki767

Why does Sense make ICS look like a bad Gingerbread rom? My lord, they're even using the old home screen dock and app tray icon.

Screen looks awesome. Too bad the US version is a bootloader-locked, AT&T bloatware-riddled nightmare.

Looking at the homescreen I'd think it was Gingerbread as well. It's too bad HTC didn't create a Holo theme for Sense. It could've looked just as sleek as stock Android.

Change of plans, now I've decided to get the HTC One X sometime this week. Should I call AT&T first to see if they have it, or would I not have any problem just walking into the store and picking one up?

Al-ibn Kermit

It's a waste of space.

If you're holding a phone with virtual buttons and a tiny bezel in landscape view, you would probably have your fingers grabbing the actual screen.

You can disable capacitive buttons at least to give you a little bit more grab on to.

Cipherr

Change of plans, now I've decided to get the HTC One X sometime this week. Should I call AT&T first to see if they have it, or would I not have any problem just walking into the store and picking one up?

I would assume you might be able to walk in, but that may depend on area, and since this just launched, to play it safe I would call ahead.

Ephemeris

Are you in grave need for an update? If you can wait I'd probably just wait for the GS3 since it should come out next month. The Galaxy Nexus doesn't have a MicroSD slot I believe so all those deals won't mean much. The One S is a very solid phone though, but really I'd imagine just based on resolution it won't look as nice as the GS3 since they're both AMOLED.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was aware of the SD situation on the Nexus as well, but hey.. it's a nexus! I'm still rocking my G2, and not really feeling a grave need for an update..

... but when I got the G2 (oh, back in Nov 2010), I gave my girl a Mytouch 3G to use until I got a phone of my own (She wanted the G2). Nexus S disappointed, wanted the anything-but-the-tmobile-GSII and the fact my G2 is a damned good daily driver meant I never budged.

Long story short, I feel terrible I have her using hardware that's just a nudge above the G1 :lol.
Yup. I'm terrible.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm hoping its some kind of future proofing for jellybean and webOS style gestures.

It's still nice to be able to both reassign or completely change (add to) those buttons AND still be able to make them vanish when needed. I'm hoping JB moves to an entirely gesture based (but optional) interface. Then the GN design will be further validated.

Toki767

It's still nice to be able to both reassign or completely change (add to) those buttons AND still be able to make them vanish when needed. I'm hoping JB moves to an entirely gesture based (but optional) interface. Then the GN design will be further validated.

Gestures work quite well on the iPad...not sure it'd translate too well to a phone though. I'm actually curious if JB will change the look of the UI since Honeycomb and ICS were practically the same while Froyo and Gingerbread were a bit different.

kinggroin

Banned
Gestures work quite well on the iPad...not sure it'd translate too well to a phone though. I'm actually curious if JB will change the look of the UI since Honeycomb and ICS were practically the same while Froyo and Gingerbread were a bit different.

I was using gestures on my smaller droid x with custom launchers, no problem. These newer phones with big ass screens should work even better. It doesn't have to be four fingered gestures to work ;-)

Toki767

I was using gestures on my smaller droid x with custom launchers, no problem. These newer phones with big ass screens should work even better. It doesn't have to be four fingered gestures to work ;-)

I'm too used to just using only my thumb for a phone. I don't think there are enough non-silly gestures someone can make with just their thumb to navigate a whole phone without buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom