• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's still nice to be able to both reassign or completely change (add to) those buttons AND still be able to make them vanish when needed. I'm hoping JB moves to an entirely gesture based (but optional) interface. Then the GN design will be further validated.
I'm hoping for the same thing. They have to have more in mind than just static buttons.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm hoping for the same thing. They have to have more in mind than just static buttons.

Bezel swipes ala Playbook would be a nice compromise. Sliding up into the very bottom of the screen could bring up the bar or a context sensitive radial. Just spit balling here.

Donos

Good in-ear headphones with microphone (in-ear headset) which works good with htc's phones?
Focus lies on the sound of the earplugs. Microphone should not be to low on the cable so that i have to hold it up while speaking. Don't care if it has only one button or three. Some said that the headset for Vita was rather good ? Don't care if there is a PS logo on it if they are good.

Just left the damn store and they weren't set up for preorders yet. He called his DM and was told that he wasn't aware of the preorder status and that it had begun >.>

kehs

Banned
Bezel swipes ala Playbook would be a nice compromise. Sliding up into the very bottom of the screen could bring up the bar or a context sensitive radial. Just spit balling here.

Yea, I'm been yearning for something like that since I saw the quick controls on the HC browser.

Bah. Can't decide, so I let GAF decide my phone-fate.

Current status.
1 upgrade available, another one due in Oct.

I could either
a) Get the One S (silver medal to the X. I'm fine with 16GB's, but wish it had expandable storage.)
b) Get the Galaxy Nexus for double the out of pocket cost, but preserve the upgrade. (same as above. And only because I see a ton of 32GB MicroSD deals all over the place lately).
c) Wait for the GS3 (even though the Tegra3 X may eventually hit Tmobile)

why would you want the inferior Tegra 3 One X? have you not seen the benchmarks!?

If you're holding a phone with virtual buttons and a tiny bezel in landscape view, you would probably have your fingers grabbing the actual screen.

You can disable capacitive buttons at least to give you a little bit more grab on to.

Yeah I still prefer capactive buttons. That being said, I actually don't hold the phone by grabbing the front of the phone. (In landscape) I hold the back of the phone with my thumb or index finger at the top of the phone and my pinkie or ring finger at the bottom of the phone . Besides, you can always grab the top of the phone where there would be plenty of bezel.

Ephemeris

why would you want the inferior Tegra 3 One X? have you not seen the benchmarks!?

Yeah i have :( Processor aside (who'd think a year ago I'd say Snapdragon>tegra lol), it's still a great device.

If there's one thing owning a G2 taught me though, is that a stock non-nexus device really doesn't matter in regards to updates. :/

gcubed

So, the Droid Incredible 4G LTE specs... not that incredible...

besides a non HD screen... seems pretty "latest gen" standard to me. If they made it an HD screen in a 4" shell it would instantly become god-like because it would be one of the only options for people who don't want huge ass phones

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Sprint completely misses the point that is the goodness of SIM cards: http://pocketnow.com/smartphone-news/with-embedded-sims-sprint-misses-the-point

DMeisterJ said:
Unless that S3 magically became an S4, there's no reason for Sony to even bother. Especially with the One X and GS2 out at that time.

That's why the Xperia GX is coming real soon: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-LT29i-Hayabusa-leaks-again-its-curvaceous_id29867

sony-lt29i-hayabusa.jpg

Ashhong

And it seems they're exclusive to HTC phones :(

Pardon my ignorance, what's an exchange account?

Use Fancy Widgets, theres plenty of widgets that look like Sense.

Anybody using CM9 and custom ringtones? They changed some stuff around and now it doesnt work. My ringtones still show up in the list but theres no sound when I select them. The stock ones work though.

tino

Banned
I hope Sony call this phone "Xperia X", that way all the S and X models from Sony and HTC have similar screen size.

kehs

Banned
smartphone-os-npd.jpg

Man I remember when that Q4 data came out and it showed Android having that dip. It was the supposed beginning of the end of everything. A quarter later and you cannot even tell it happened.

The interesting part about that article is that it claims the smartphone market hasn't grown as a whole in the last quarter. Stalled by ipads maybe?

Talon

I wouldn't take NPD's numbers as gospel there. Those figures aren't derived from sales figures - rather they pull from surveys. Comscore's numbers are similar with around a 10% swing lower for Android.

iPhone sold over half of all smartphones on Verizon (51%), AT&T (78%) and Sprint (60%) in the last quarter. I really and truly doubt that Android made up that wide of a difference from regional carriers and T-Mobile.

Based on the Q1 financial reports from Sprint, Verizon and AT&T, Raymond James analyst Tavis McCourt estimates that Apple had 59% of the U.S. smartphone market from the country’s top three carriers in the quarter. That was up from 36% a year ago, although down a bit from 63% in the December quarter, a period in which Apple launched the iPhone 4S.
Apple-unit-sales.png

Forbes

tino

Banned
NPD reports the smartphone sells corespond to real quarters; I think carriers financial report "Q1" reports are actually 2011 Q4 sells since that was the time 4S launched. Also NPD only track consumer sales, not corperate sales.

My favorite part of the NPD stat is that

WP7 has sold 2% of total smartphones, and WM6 and Symbian combined has sold 3%.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
EVO LTE pre-orders are go~

... I'd be in a position to upgrade if I hadn't jumped on the EVO 3D.[/regret]

huh? you don't have yearly upgrades?..well HAD?

Evo 3D is still a better phone if you can get 4G. LTE isn't going to be widely available until next year. It's the ONLY reason I haven't swapped out my 3D.

I want to just swap it because the USB port is borked so it only charges. I will never be able to root it. I also don't want a refurb replacement. So I'm just waiting...I must stay away from the hype :(

MrJames

EVO LTE pre-orders are go~

... I'd be in a position to upgrade if I hadn't jumped on the EVO 3D.[/regret]

My Evo contract runs out in June. I'm tempted to preorder but I think I'll wait until they announce the Samsung Galaxy S™ lll, Epic™ 4G Touch™ ll LTE.

huh? you don't have yearly upgrades?..well HAD?

Evo 3D is still a better phone if you can get 4G. LTE isn't going to be widely available until next year. It's the ONLY reason I haven't swapped out my 3D.

I want to just swap it because the USB port is borked so it only charges. I will never be able to root it. I also don't want a refurb replacement. So I'm just waiting...I must stay away from the hype :(

my bro is primary and gets the year upgrade. i'm under 2 year but my upgrade is full since the first of may. is the Evo 4G LTE good?

jobber

my bro is primary and gets the year upgrade. i'm under 2 year but my upgrade is full since the first of may. is the Evo 4G LTE good?

I guess. It's a version of the X but has a kickstand and sd slot. I just can't get past the LTE thing. I really want to but you have to pay $10 extra a month for 4g and it's no 4g!

tino

Banned

EVO 3D was a significant upgrade over the EVO 4G.

Really you are better off no renewing your contract. I don't think Sprint can last for 2 more years.

VVV I meant Sprint

ydnawel

Neo Member
I'm looking to get an Android phone, and I've narrowed it down to two choices (ATT carrier): Samsung Galaxy S2 or HTC Vivid. Anyone have any thoughts on these two (maybe something else that fits me better)?

I don't want a super high end phone, but I want something that's decent. Also, I plan on doing some mobile development. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ecto311

I'm looking to get an Android phone, and I've narrowed it down to two choices (ATT carrier): Samsung Galaxy S2 or HTC Vivid. Anyone have any thoughts on these two (maybe something else that fits me better)?

I don't want a super high end phone, but I want something that's decent. Also, I plan on doing some mobile development. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I was wondering the same thing but on a higher level of android phone. What is the android gaf consensus was on the newer phones coming out? One X or SIII?

Is there a reason you would pick a mid to lower android phone over the OneX or SIII coming soon, ydnawel?

jobber

Best Buy has the expected shipping date for the EVO LTE. May 11th.

which is like this Friday

megaton.

tokkun

Really you are better off no renewing your contract. I don't think Sprint can last for 2 more years.

No way will Sprint simply go out of business. Their infrastructure is worth too much money. Someone would buy them, and based on the attempted T-Mobile acquisition, it's unlikely to be Verizon.

ydnawel

Neo Member
I was wondering the same thing but on a higher level of android phone. What is the android gaf consensus was on the newer phones coming out? One X or SIII?

Is there a reason you would pick a mid to lower android phone over the OneX or SIII coming soon, ydnawel?

Personal preference, and because I don't use phones nearly as heavily as others do.

Toki767

International or US? MicroSD or built-in memory? Pentile screen or LCD? Removable or non-removable battery?

It's hard to just recommend one outright without knowing which of those you prefer for the most part. I don't think you'll go wrong with either phone personally.

kehs

Banned
Is there one that just outperforms the other on a technical standpoint? I mean, theoretically I guess.

We haven't seen marks for the Exynos, so it's up in the air.

Probably that one though.

-----

Unrelated, TMO will be doing a majority of spectrum changeover that will allow ATT compatible and international phones to work on their 4g network. I'm pretty much sold on the padfone now.

http://phandroid.com/2012/05/08/t-m...y-years-end-42mbps-hspa-comes-to-more-cities/

between those two? GS2

International? GS3
US? still waiting on GS3 US specs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom