• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im kinda thinking of getting rid of the galaxy nexus for a ATT One X...but dayam locked bootloader =(

whats the chances of the bootloader getting unlocked?

Sai

huh? you don't have yearly upgrades?..well HAD?
Well, I checked, and it says I have to wait until this time next year, so... Might have somethin' to do with the fact that I was able to get the EVO 3D a bit earlier than expected.

Maybe a similar deal will pop up a bit later. I'll keep my eyes open.

Evo 3D is still a better phone if you can get 4G.
4G pretty much sucks in my area. It only ever kinda works deep in the downtown area of Grand Rapids, Michigan—which I don't frequent all that much. I've hardly ever used it since I had my original EVO, just 3G.

Why do they still insist on putting the USB port on the side? It's good that you can alternate the position of the kickstand, but I liked it better on the bottom.

Al-ibn Kermit

We haven't seen marks for the Exynos, so it's up in the air.
Probably that one though.
-----
Unrelated, TMO will be doing a majority of spectrum changeover that will allow ATT compatible and international phones to work on their 4g network. I'm pretty much sold on the padfone now.
http://phandroid.com/2012/05/08/t-m...y-years-end-42mbps-hspa-comes-to-more-cities/

So their 2G becomes "4G" (but technically 3G) in the cities that get this changeover. And they're also getting ready to start building their LTE network which is a whole different thing.

And if I remember correctly T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon all use different bands for LTE. Wouldn't that prevent you from roaming or taking your phone between networks and still being able to use LTE?

tino

Banned
So TMo will migrate from AWS to 1900 frequency without reprogramming their phone? Thats weird.

Can I use european model now?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Ecto311

International or US? MicroSD or built-in memory? Pentile screen or LCD? Removable or non-removable battery?

It's hard to just recommend one outright without knowing which of those you prefer for the most part. I don't think you'll go wrong with either phone personally.

I know the tech differences between the phones for the most part. Being new to the android phones I was more or less wondering about the specs (US AT&T) of the phones and what to expect over the life of the phones. Is htc a good brand still, heard a lot of bad things about the inspire.

Do locked boot loaders last the life of the phone or does/can it be broken also? Would really like a vanilla ics experience with no sense or touch wiz over lay. Also does htc update their phones faster than Samsung? Seems like the gs2 has been waiting for ics forever.

I might try the one x since you have 30 days Buyers remorse period. Hopefully the full info on the sIII is released before that time is over. I do like the removable sd cards and battery but coming from an iPhone 4 I don't think I'll miss it on the one x.

SimleuqiR

AT&T CEO blames Google for slow Android updates, Google fires back

Randall Stephenson claimed Google was at fault and the carrier could do nothing about it. “Google determines what platform gets the newest releases and when,” the executive said. “A lot of times, that’s a negotiated arrangement and that’s something we work at hard. We know that’s important to our customers. That’s kind of an ambiguous answer because I can’t give you a direct answer in this setting.”

The Mountain View-based company has fired back, however, and said the CEO’s statements are not accurate.

“Mr. Stephenson’s carefully worded quote caught our attention and frankly we don’t understand what he is referring to. Google does not have any agreements in place that require a negotiation before a handset launches,”

“Google has always made the latest release of Android available as open source at source.android.com as soon as the first device based on it has launched. This way, we know the software runs error-free on hardware that has been accepted and approved by manufacturers, operators and regulatory agencies such as the FCC. We then release it to the world.”

This guy is a total dick! First complaining about unlimited data plans on iPhones and now this.

tino

Banned
Maybe google shouldn't choose TI chip to launch 4.0. In retrospect, why?

You guys can yell at me now, but when google choose another obscure platform to launch 5.0 (i.e. Intel atoms), you will know I am right.

So TMo will migrate from AWS to 1900 frequency without reprogramming their phone? Thats weird.

Can I use european model now?

they're not migrating from AWS, they're adding AT&T compatible spectrum.

You guys can yell at me now, but when google choose another obscure platform to launch 5.0 (i.e. Intel atoms), you will know I am right.

obscure? wasn't most of last year's Motorola lineup OMAP? and Asus sure managed to get ICS running on their devices pretty quickly.

giga

So their 2G becomes "4G" (but technically 3G) in the cities that get this changeover. And they're also getting ready to start building their LTE network which is a whole different thing.

And if I remember correctly T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon all use different bands for LTE. Wouldn't that prevent you from roaming or taking your phone between networks and still being able to use LTE?
Roaming with LTE isn't happening for a long time.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57422611-94/will-at-t-and-verizon-4g-lte-ever-be-compatible/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-UTRA#Frequency_bands_and_channel_bandwidths

SimleuqiR

This is another reason why I believe Google will start to make their own hardware down the road. I mean, has the Nexus program help OEMs release and/or update their hardware in a timely matter? Has it created some sort of standard in the industry? AFAIK, the answer is no.

And since OEMs pretty much have done whatever they want once the code is available I see no point in Google catering to them on the hardware side of things. Just keep releasing the code for FREE, and OEMs will not complain.

HTC EVO™ V 4G -> Virgin Mobile USA

5iT1Y.jpg

kehs

Banned
I thought the padfone was 900/2100, not 850/1900?

=(

Dreams shattered.

AT&T CEO blames Google for slow Android updates, Google fires back

This guy is a total dick! First complaining about unlimited data plans on iPhones and now this.

I won't be surprised to see ATT kick off a huge WP backing this year. They don't have to worry about the OS as they do now since MS will take care of it all.

----

Welp, now we have everything. Hardware ICS buttons WITH a menu button. RIP search button.

kyocera-hydro---angled-1336116933.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/08/kyocera-hydro-waterproof-smartphone/

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

t-mo has LTE?

RJM77

I won't be surprised to see ATT kick off a huge WP backing this year. They don't have to worry about the OS as they do now since MS will take care of it all.

That's what I don't understand about carriers/oems and their handling of Android. They complain about all the work they have to do to get the latest Android update out, and how iOS and WP7 are much easier to handle from their end. But no one forces them to dick around with Android. No one forces them to put out weak apps that no one uses and that then have to be upgraded for each new version of Android. No one is forcing each of the carriers to make their own exclusive variations of the Galaxy S phones.
They're doing it to themselves, so why bitch and moan about it?
Seems like it'd be a lot easier and cheaper for them to make their phones "Nexus" with stock android, and consumers (the vocal ones, at least) would be happier too.

kehs

Banned
What does this mean. Does this mean it's compatible with ATT and T-mobile at their highest data?

Up to 21 mbps on HSPA+ for both att/tmo/carriers around the world with the bands.

There are faster phones on TMo and ATT (Skyrocket for example) that go to 42 mbps.

Hopped into the Tmo store to play with the One S.

I literally don't see what the Pentile hate is all about. : /
did you bring your microscope with you?

Very few people are actually bothered by pentile if they a) don't know about it b)don't visit gaf.
i'm sure it annoys a select few people, and it probably mindfucks some other people who if they didn't know, it wouldn't bother them at all.

the menu button is seriously blowing my mind.

Toki767

As someone who hates using the search button on my Captivate because of where it's placed, I'm sad the menu button is on the right. It should really be the first button.

Socreges

Banned
Hello, Android-GAF

I'm looking closely at the SGIII (or the Nexus) and the HTC One X. What reasons can you give me to wait for the SGIII and not bite on the One X right now? I've been looking at the specs and it seems like the latter doesn't have any disadvantages outside of lacking LTE (but having a quad-core processor).

I'm in Canada FWIW

Toki767

Hello, Android-GAF

I'm looking closely at the SGIII (or the Nexus) and the HTC One X. What reasons can you give me to wait for the SGIII and not bite on the One X right now? I've been looking at the specs and it seems like the latter doesn't have any disadvantages outside of lacking LTE (but having a quad-core processor).

I'm in Canada FWIW

The S3 has microSD expandable memory and a removable battery. Also a .1" bigger screen if that matters. Are you getting the global version for either? Both versions in Canada I'd imagine will use the S4 chip which means both should have LTE.

Socreges

Banned
MicroSD expandable and a removable battery. Also a .1" bigger screen if that matters. Are you getting the global version for either? Both versions in Canada I'd imagine will use the S4 chip which means both should have LTE.
Hmm, yeah, the removable battery might actually be a make/break for me, as silly as that might sound to some. I like the idea of swapping batteries when one is low, plus I've heard they're fairly inexpensive. Not too fussed about the other stuff.

By global version, do you mean the one that you'd pay full price for and attach to a carrier? I'd almost definitely get the carrier's (Rogers) version.

Toki767

Hmm, yeah, the removable battery might actually be a make/break for me, as silly as that might sound to some. I like the idea of swapping batteries when one is low, plus I've heard they're fairly inexpensive. Not too fussed about the other stuff.

By global version, do you mean the one that you'd pay full price for and attach to a carrier? I'd almost definitely get the carrier's (Rogers) version.

By global I mean not North American. The HTC One X has the Tegra 3 in the global version and the S3 has the Exynos. Neither of those are LTE. Both phones in North American will more than likely have the same Snapdragon S4. Both of those will be LTE.

Socreges

Banned
By global I mean not North American. The HTC One X has the Tegra 3 in the global version and the S3 has the Exynos. Neither of those are LTE. Both phones in North American will more than likely have the same Snapdragon S4. Both of those will be LTE.
You're totally right. I just dug a bit more on the carrier's website:

i5I5TBnHL9jzH.jpg

Dang. I was looking at these specs.

Veezy

que?
Is the Galaxy Nexus the best Android phone on Sprint? I'm switching services when I move this month and am looking to stay in the Android family.

Ephemeris

While playing with the One S at the T-Mo store I also took the liberty of logging into dropbox with my account...

Congrats on becoming a Dropbox Guru! We've awarded you 23 GB of bonus space for the next 24 months!

e1GzZ.gif

Ephemeris

How? ANd what is that from?

From HTC

About the additional free Dropbox storage offer

The additional 23GB Dropbox storage is a special offer that's available on HTC One S and other HTC devices using Android™ with HTC Sense™ 4.0. This offer is available to both new and current Dropbox users.

To get this additional Dropbox storage free for two years, please set up your Dropbox account from HTC One S (and not from your computer or other non-HTC devices), and complete the getting started guide on the Dropbox website (www.dropbox.com/gs).

If you're a new Dropbox user, setting up your Dropbox account from HTC One S gives you 2GB default storage plus the additional 23GB storage space.
This additional free storage is a one-time offer only. You're eligible to use this offer only on one HTC device.

You won't be able to use this offer again if you create or sign in to Dropbox with a different account.

And from a music video lol

Kisaya

So I have a mytouch by LG, and I don't have much complaints other than it gets really laggy whenever I text. My friends usually mass text me, so whenever they do my phone gets reallyyy slow and becomes a pain sending and receiving messages at the same pace :( My guess is probably cause I don't delete any of my texts... but I have a lot of space on my phone still so I didn't think that would cause a problem. I know I could back them up (and I do), but sorta want to keep them on my phone ;x Is there any other way I could fix this? >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom