• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecto311

Who is better with the upgrades to new android OS: Samsung or HTC? Looking at the preview site that was posted before the phones are close in specs and I would like to get the newer software quicker.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Who is better with the upgrades to new android OS: Samsung or HTC? Looking at the preview site that was posted before the phones are close in specs and I would like to get the newer software quicker.

My Vibrant still has 2.2. I am thinking it aint Samsung.

Toki767

HTC is typically quicker at updating their phones in North America. Samsung takes ages in North America, but they are fairly quick in EU/Asia so it's probably because of the carriers.

Ecto311

HTC is typically quicker at updating their phones in North America. Samsung takes ages in North America, but they are fairly quick in EU/Asia so it's probably because of the carriers.

So whats the likelihood of the one X getting its boot loader unlocked so I can get ICS without all the crap?

Possible?

are you in north america?

My Vibrant still has 2.2. I am thinking it aint Samsung.

why wait on T-Mobile? get an ICS rom!

So whats the likelihood of the one X getting its boot loader unlocked so I can get ICS without all the crap?

Possible?

if you're going to flash a custom rom anyway, get the Samsung.

Akira

Sony Xperia GX and SX announced: http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120509_531320.html

Looks like a successor to the Arc? Looks nice as well, but I thought they were going to introduce the NXT design language with transparent bar throughout their line? Temptation to switch to Android rising...

From the specs:

 4.6” Reality Display powered by Mobile BRAVIA Engine for razor-sharp
clarity.
 1.5GHz dual-core processor for faster performance.
 16GB internal flash storage.
 13MP camera with Sony Exmor R for mobile, HD video recording, and Sony
technology to take 3D panoramic images.
 Launching on Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich.
 Available in white and black.

In terms of certain features like CPU/GPU and storage, Sony still refuses to compete in the bleeding edge tier? (no pun intended :p)

Toki767

Sony Xperia GX and SX announced: http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120509_531320.html

Looks like a successor to the Arc? Looks nice as well, but I thought they were going to introduce the NXT design language with transparent bar throughout their line? Temptation to switch to Android rising...

From the specs:

clarity.

In terms of certain features like CPU/GPU and storage, Sony still refuses to compete in the bleeding edge tier? (no pun intended :p)

Actually, if that CPU is the S4, I think Sony would have outdone everyone in terms of specs and design. Plus it looks like they're actually going with software buttons.

tino

Banned
Actually, if that CPU is the S4, I think Sony would have outdone everyone in terms of specs and design. Plus it looks like they're actually going with software buttons.

It's just a One X with the same non removable battery and probably no sd card. has better camera but looks uglier, I bet you it has locked bootloader on ATT too.

tino

Banned
are we sure it even has a better camera? or just a higher MP?

Sony makes sensors for all phone cameras, so they have access to the newest sensor. I am pretty sure it's better than all android phones. As for the iPhone 4s camera, it has a rather expensive 1/3.2" sensor. So unless Sony tells you the sensor size in the press release, its probably not better than the 4s camera.

From the specs:

clarity.

They are using the MSM8960 (Krait) and it will be available in with 32GB outside Japan like the Xperia S. Out in July in Europe, August in the US apparently. No word on whether the SX will be released outside of Japan. The Mint/Hayabusa are the same phone (GX) one with LTE and one without.

gcubed

They are using the MSM8960 (Krait) and it will be available in with 32GB outside Japan like the Xperia S. Out in July in Europe, August in the US apparently. No word on whether the SX will be released outside of Japan. The Mint/Hayabusa are the same phone (GX) one with LTE and one without.

Sony putting the big boy pants on. Good.

THRILLH0

Banned
Why do people keep bringing up the One X's bootloader as an issue when it can be permanently unlocked in 5 minutes?

If you're going to be playing around with custom roms surely that shouldn't put you off?

Finally made the switch to CM9 on my Epic 4G Touch. My phone was becoming sluggish and it felt like the right time to flash. Haven't run into any problems so far on Alpha 3, so it looks like a keeper.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Source?

Crisco

Banned
More vaporware from Sony. Where the hell is the Xperia ion and what are the chances the GX reaches US shores before the fall? Meanwhile, the HTC One X is already available from AT&T and has basically the same specs with an equally attractive design.

giga

Why do people keep bringing up the One X's bootloader as an issue when it can be permanently unlocked in 5 minutes?

If you're going to be playing around with custom roms surely that shouldn't put you off?
And what do you mean by you people?

More vaporware from Sony. Where the hell is the Xperia ion and what are the chances the GX reaches US shores before the fall? Meanwhile, the HTC One X is already available from AT&T and has basically the same specs with an equally attractive design.

Blame AT&T. It's out in Taiwan this week and Europe isn't going to get it since we have the Xperia S.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/09/gmail-leak-att-xperia-ion-june/

I would like to see Sony go for blanket coverage with the GX though, available across every single carrier in the US. I can see it being a very popular phone...

vitacola

Hey AndroidGAF,

I'm searching for a nice Android mobile phone right now.

At the moment the Galaxy S Plus is my favorite, but I'm open for another idea. There are so many different phones, I don't even know where to start. :D

The phone should be priced equally and the possibility to upgrade to Android 4 would be nice, but it's no must (after a couple of months I'll probably put a custom ROM on the device). I don't like the almost tablet size phones (the Galaxy S2 would be too big for me), because I like to put mobiles into the pocket of my trousers. So the maximum size should be 4". Camera features aren't important to me and I don't give a fuck about high end touch games like Max Payne or GTA3. Oh, and I'm from Europe if this is important.

Thank you in advance!

ShinNL

I'm a big fan of Sony (Ericsson) for designing mid-tier phones, so take a look at their selection for phones that don't have humongous screens. Rocking Xperia Ray atm (perfect size for me). In your case I think you might want to take a look at Xperia P (4 inch screen, sexy as hell aluminium body), released this month in Europe. Though if you like messing with ROMs, it might be an issue because Sony's phones aren't easily rooted without risks.

gcubed

Hey AndroidGAF,

At the moment the Galaxy S Plus is my favorite, but I'm open for another idea. There are so many different phones, I don't even know where to start. :D

The phone should be priced equally and the possibility to upgrade to Android 4 would be nice, but it's no must (after a couple of months I'll probably put a custom ROM on the device). I don't like the almost tablet size phones (the Galaxy S2 would be too big for me), because I like to put mobiles into the pocket of my trousers. So the maximum size should be 4". Camera features aren't important to me and I don't give a fuck about high end touch games like Max Payne or GTA3. Oh, and I'm from Europe if this is important.

Thank you in advance!

how much is the Galaxy S Plus you are looking at? I dont know Euro prices. (On or off contract?)

NEO0MJ

Hey AndroidGAF,

At the moment the Galaxy S Plus is my favorite, but I'm open for another idea. There are so many different phones, I don't even know where to start. :DThank you in advance!

I suppose the HTC One S might be a good choice. It's somewhat small and runs 4.

Edit: after giving more time to read your post I don't think you'll want the One S.

Crisco

Banned

vitacola

Ah, nice quick answers. Thank you so far!

how much is the Galaxy S Plus you are looking at? I dont know Euro prices. (On or off contract?)
Off contract, because most of the pre paid stuff is cheaper in Germany. It's 270€ on Amazon.de. I just compared the European price to the American, FUCK, what a big difference. Forgot to convert the price. Not that much of a difference. :D

I suppose the HTC One S might be a good choice. It's somewhat small and runs 4.

Edit: after giving more time to read your post I don't think you'll want the One S.
lol, take aside the size and it's still a lot more expensive than the S Plus (+200€). :(

I'm a big fan of Sony (Ericsson) for designing mid-tier phones, so take a look at their selection for phones that don't have humongous screens. Rocking Xperia Ray atm (perfect size for me). In your case I think you might want to take a look at Xperia P (4 inch screen, sexy as hell aluminium body), released this month in Europe. Though if you like messing with ROMs, it might be an issue because Sony's phones aren't easily rooted without risks.
It's pretty expensive compared to the S Plus (150-200€) and it's not out in Germany yet, at least off contract :(

ShinNL

Ah okay, it seems you want something low-mid-tier (or, older-tier) instead of mid-tier with a 4" screen. That might be a little bit harder to find. From the Sony brand I don't think are much that fit your description, those ranging at the €200 price are at 3.5"ish screens, which could be too small for you (Ray, Xperia U). Probably not the type of phones you're looking for (all equipped with excellent cameras). I didn't research for many other phones because I liked Sony's UI so I only researched their phones when I was looking for a new phone.

gcubed

yeah no idea on something in that price range. Xperia Arc S as an alternative. Is the S plus the same as the S advance? Dual core?

vitacola

Oh, I have no problem with the phones that have a smaller screen than 4". I just want a good phone which is not too slow and isn't almost a tablet. The Galaxy S+ is "old", but I like it specs a lot so far.

But the Sony Xperia U looks nice. I will try to get my hands on it at a retailer. Is a 1GHz dual core much more powerful (or even needed at the moment) than the 1,4GHz chip of the S Plus?
(I hope their phones are better now. I had a SonyEricsson CyberShot a few years ago and it was the worst I had in my life so far.)

EDIT:
The Galaxy S Plus has a 1,4GHz single and 512MB of RAM.

Oh, I have no problem with the phones that have a smaller screen than 4". I just want a good phone which is not too slow and isn't almost a tablet. The Galaxy S+ is "old", but I like it specs a lot so far.

But the Sony Xperia U looks nice. I will try to get my hands on it at a retailer. Is a 1GHz dual core much more powerful (or even needed at the moment) than the 1,4GHz chip of the S Plus?
(I hope their phones are better now. I had a SonyEricsson CyberShot a few years ago and it was the worst I had in my life so far.)

Yes it is more powerful the ST-E U8500 is a dual core A9 while the S has a 1.4GHz single core Scorpion which is more like an A8+. The U8500 also has a better GPU than the Adreno 205 in the MSM8255T.

Doopliss

You mentioned custom ROMs... hope you didn't mean getting Android 4.0 that way because the dev support for the Galaxy S Plus doesn't seem very good.

The Xperia U seems pretty good if you're after a fun-size phone. The chip in it should be quite a bit faster.

vitacola

OK, but the fact the U has no slot for MicroSDs disturbs me. But I'll give it a try at a retailer. Going to go there in a few minutes.

Another option I thought about: The Galaxy Ace 2 which will be out here in a few days. But I can't judge how much faster a 800MHz dual core than S Plus' CPU is. I'd think it's not (that much) faster, because probably not many applications are supporting a dual core (mind that I won't play heavy graphics 3D stuff). Or am I wrong?

EDIT:
You mentioned custom ROMs... hope you didn't mean getting Android 4.0 that way because the dev support for the Galaxy S Plus doesn't seem very good.

The Xperia U seems pretty good if you're after a fun-size phone. The chip in it should be quite a bit faster.
I wouldn't be that sad, if there is no Android 4 custom ROM. Maybe I won't even flash it, if there is no interesting application which is worth the trouble. So it's not that important to my decision. But thanks for the information.

ShinNL

Ah, so you do want power? Cause when you mentioned you don't care about Max Payne and GTA3, I thought you didn't care about that. Xperia U can pretty much run those as far as I know. Heck, my Ray can run GTA3.

I think we're all giving suggestions that look like an S plus, but maybe in the end you might just need the S plus. I don't know anything about the S plus to be honest.

vitacola

Hm, I just want the most power out of my money. So if the Sony Xperia U is faster and its quality is good, I would choose it ;)

I just want a phone which is not stuttering when you open some apps.

And the Galaxy S+ is a faster S. The CPU benchmarks, I've seen, showed values which doubled the values of the S. The GPU of the S seems faster (in benchmarks), but, as I said, I don't care about the graphics.

The GPU of the Xperia U is stronger than the one in the Galaxy S+, the Adreno 205 is very weak.

The Xperia P/U have a processor just slightly slower than the Galaxy S2 and the GPU is about half as fast as it is the single core version rather than the dual core one in the S2.

Overall, the processor in the X-U is much, much faster than the one in the GS+ and the GPU is also much faster. If both are going to be the same price when you buy them I wouldn't get the GS+ as it uses 2010 generation hardware while the X-U uses 2011 hardware. Only the flagships of this year will use 2012 hardware like Tegra 3 or MSM8960, like the Xperia GX above or the One X but that will be out of your price range.

Takuan

Anyone with a GS2 on an ICS firmware build that isn't sluggish/weird? I've been using one of the stock official releases downloaded from xda that was released about a month ago and there are times where I run into touch detection/performance issues. Pretty sure it's not a hardware problem, as I never had those problems on Gingerbread. If it helps any, I'm using Nova Launcher.

question

i changed my password on my pc for my hotmail email adress but when u logon my samsung galaxy tab it says sign un failed, im trying ti find a change password section on the tablet ut i cant find it:-( any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom