• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitacola

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B007HK718A/

Xperia U, new €229.89. Seems like a pretty great deal to me.

But sadly not available yet ... Amazon.co.uk states the 31st of May as the release date and there is no date on Amazon.de. Does the UK receive the new devices faster?

Two things that I worry about:
1.) Is a limitation to 2GB of space for apps a big problem?
2.) It's a brand new device. I don't want to be a beta test dummy. How fast is Sony at bug fixing or do they even produce almost 100% perfect software (would be even better ;))?

ep85

ATT's Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket HD canceled. Hopefully that means the GSIII is coming sooner rather than later.

But sadly not available yet ... Amazon.co.uk states the 31st of May as the release date and there is no date on Amazon.de. Does the UK receive the new devices faster?

Two things that I worry about:
1.) Is a limitation to 2GB of space for apps a big problem?
2.) It's a brand new device. I don't want to be a beta test dummy. How fast is Sony at bug fixing or do they even produce almost 100% perfect software (would be even better ;))?

Not as far as I know, it is usually about the same time, if not earlier on the continent since devices are shipped from China to Rotterdam then into the rest of Europe, usually Netherlands -> Germany -> UK -> France.

1 - It could be, but I doubt it. App repositories can be stored in general space, just the jar has to be stored on the dedicated space.
2 - Sony are actually pretty good, it's why they are often later than Samsung and HTC, they have superior bug testing. However, in the world of faster and faster updates there is a lot of pressure on Sony to relax this policy and go for a "release first, patch later" schedule like Samsung.

The X-U is a great phone at a very competitive price, however, it is not without downsides, for example it won't receive the ICS update until late June while Sony's 2011 models will all have had it by then as will the X-S and X-P. Other than late ICS updates I think it is a great buy, if I wanted a backup phone I would get that, but I don't. I will probably use my Sensation as a backup when I get the GX or GS3.

Circle T

ATT's Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket HD canceled. Hopefully that means the GSIII is coming sooner rather than later.

The silence about the device was pretty telling. I'm guessing the Exhilarate will be following suit. That would leave the Ion as the only other device not out since the CES debut, and the news about that phone has been minimal, at best.... :/

ep85

The silence about the device was pretty telling. I'm guessing the Exhilarate will be following suit. That would leave the Ion as the only other device not out since the CES debut, and the news about that phone has been minimal, at best.... :/

Supposedly there are google ads that say the ion is coming next month. A gingerbread phone with year old specs, it is sent to die. I can see a one two punch of the ion and GSIII in June. Similar to what they did with the skyrocket and vivid.

Either way the ion is being sent to die. A gingerbread phone with year old specs. Unless they highly discount it I don't see it getting any traction.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Aww it's not out yet. :(

Would rather get the $99 Revue or one of Sony's BR players at this point...

Circle T

Supposedly there are google ads that say the ion is coming next month. A gingerbread phone with year old specs, it is sent to die. I can see a one two punch of the ion and GSIII in June. Similar to what they did with the skyrocket and vivid.

Either way the ion is being sent to die. A gingerbread phone with year old specs. Unless they highly discount it I don't see it getting any traction.

Well, we haven't even seen the Ion since January. There is still a (very slight) possibility it could arrive with updated specs/software if/when it launches in June. But, like the SR-HD, the silence on the subject (other than some random ads) is troubling.

Release the Xperia GX here as the Ion, and they've got something. However, release the Ion as it was announced, and, as you said, it's dead in the water.

kehs

Banned
I used and Archos 101 Internet Tablet today.

It made my Transformer feel like an iPad3.

It does hand oodles of ports though, jeez.

kehs

Banned
2nd line needs further clarification on if the implication is negative or positive...

3rd line as well...

Haha.

The good parts of the Archos: ports(micro SD, full usb, micro usb, mini(?) ), and super light/compact(but pretty bad build quality).

A capacitive screen that felt like a resistive screen. Screen... with about a three degree viewing angle.

Oh, and gingerbread, with onscreen keys!

PaulLFC

So Talkmobile *finally* released ICS for the Galaxy S2. Now I just need to decide if I risk updating through Kies and probably bricking the phone, if online reports are anything to go by.

I could try the OTA update and see if it's available through that, but I don't know if it's working properly on my phone - the last time I tried it a few weeks ago, it installed an update, then immediately said there was an update available, so I told it to install that one. It repeated this about 5 or 6 times, until I assumed it wasn't working properly and told it to not download the next update it said was available.

Is it normal to have a large number of successive updates like this? I hadn't updated the phone since I got it (last June) because of not wanting to use Kies, but I assumed it would just download the latest update available.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Archos is a pretty crummy company. They made a lot of pre-iPad err... super-PDA/portable media/tablet/whatever devices. All of them worked, but none of them were really any good. Since their transition towards Android obviously they don't need to take care of software, but they still don't make good hardware.

Talon

Archos is a pretty crummy company. They made a lot of pre-iPad err... super-PDA/portable media/tablet/whatever devices. All of them worked, but none of them were really any good. Since their transition towards Android obviously they don't need to take care of software, but they still don't make good hardware.
They used to make good hardware in the early days of MP3 players.

Or we just had low expectations.

God knows I was super happy with my iRiver MP3 CD player.

kehs

Banned
You can get a WD TV Live+ for $60 and it does 10 times more than the google box.

The TV live doesn't handle the cable/dish signal though.

----

Nearly Edge to Edge Screen. Wha!

nyx501.jpg

http://www.androidcentral.com/nyx-mobile-fun-lyuba-max-hands

What are your impressions on the grey? Does it look like solid black?

The grey looks dark grey. Up close you will see it as dark grey, from far away it will be black, Like any dark color.

I actually only got the grey because they were out of white. I saw both on display and have even seen one up close and felt a white one that was new from the box. Given the choice I would probably stick with black, but that is not a dis on the white version, I loved it.

But I tend to play it safe, don't want too many people's attention on my phone, it's for me and me only.

White was the first to sell out though. Go to an AT&T corporate store (one owned by AT&T) and look at both, you can't ;miss them, they will have like 3 or 4 beats headsets and speakers surrounding them.

kehs

Banned
Why do you need chrome? It plays youtube, hulu, netflix and amazon video, plus local 1080p contents.

Putting a browser on your TV is like putting windows start button in your phone. UI disaster.

Chrome has proven useful when you're trying to watch something that isn't available elsewhere. (Looking at you comedy central!).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why do you need chrome? It plays youtube, hulu, netflix and amazon video, plus local 1080p contents.

Putting a browser on your TV is like putting windows start button in your phone. UI disaster.

Someone hasn't ever used a Google TV.

Ashhong

Anyone with a GS2 on an ICS firmware build that isn't sluggish/weird? I've been using one of the stock official releases downloaded from xda that was released about a month ago and there are times where I run into touch detection/performance issues. Pretty sure it's not a hardware problem, as I never had those problems on Gingerbread. If it helps any, I'm using Nova Launcher.

Which version of the GS2? Well, it doesn't matter. Get CM9 on it. Extremely stable for the International and AT&T versions at least.

kehs

Banned
I thought they were all 99 now. I guess my expectations are off?
I'm not sure, anytime I see a Sony entertainment device I brace myself for the price.

Would be nice if it was 99, I'm digging their remote more than vizios.

-----------
2nd best galaxy users explain why they settled.

Popular Science: We Asked Our Readers Why They Love the Samsung Galaxy Note http://goo.gl/mag/5KprU

Got a chance to see the super lcd on the One X today as a taste for my Evo LTE once it arrives. I felt a bit...indifferent about it. It certainly gave a nice visual, but it lacked deep blacks and a great contrast. By no means is it bad(its great), but I think I prefer the vivid colors and blacks on a super amoled. One thing I do like though is that it seems pretty sharp, so that is a big plus. Demo unit ect, so that has to be taken into account. Still getting the Evo LTE, unless something drastic happens with the Galaxy release on Sprint.

gcubed

I'm not sure, anytime I see a Sony entertainment device I brace myself for the price.

Would be nice if it was 99, I'm digging their remote more than vizios.

-----------
2nd best galaxy users explain why they settled.

Popular Science: We Asked Our Readers Why They Love the Samsung Galaxy Note http://goo.gl/mag/5KprU

i didnt know that Vizio was making a separate box also, just TVs.

I used and Archos 101 Internet Tablet today.

It made my Transformer feel like an iPad3.

It does hand oodles of ports though, jeez.

Gen9 or Gen8 101?

I got Gen9 80, and I'm losing patience with it. 512mb of memory is really holding it back. That being said, I like the form factor, 4:3 screen, loads of connectivity options, kickstand and already on 4.0 and its half the price of other similarly specced tabs. Though the Galaxy Tab 2 7" looks like very good value, though not sure if I want to downgrade in screen size.... :-\

PaulLFC

So Talkmobile *finally* released ICS for the Galaxy S2. Now I just need to decide if I risk updating through Kies and probably bricking the phone, if online reports are anything to go by.

I could try the OTA update and see if it's available through that, but I don't know if it's working properly on my phone - the last time I tried it a few weeks ago, it installed an update, then immediately said there was an update available, so I told it to install that one. It repeated this about 5 or 6 times, until I assumed it wasn't working properly and told it to not download the next update it said was available.

Is it normal to have a large number of successive updates like this? I hadn't updated the phone since I got it (last June) because of not wanting to use Kies, but I assumed it would just download the latest update available.
OK, so OTA Software Update appears to be completely broken. It failed to download an update, and now every time I restart my phone, processes keep crashing over and over, and I can't do anything except either click Force Close repeatedly (which just makes whatever the processes are crash again) or remove the battery.

Looks like I'm going to have to risk Kies later and just hope it updates my phone to ICS without bricking it.

OK, so OTA Software Update appears to be completely broken. It failed to download an update, and now every time I restart my phone, processes keep crashing over and over, and I can't do anything except either click Force Close repeatedly (which just makes whatever the processes are crash again) or remove the battery.

Looks like I'm going to have to risk Kies later and just hope it updates my phone to ICS without bricking it.

What the hell is the problem with Kies!? Why haven't Samsung fixed it? Surely if phones are being bricked by the official update programme then there are problems!

PaulLFC

What the hell is the problem with Kies!? Why haven't Samsung fixed it? Surely if phones are being bricked by the official update programme then there are problems!
Yeah, it's ridiculous. Kies seems to update itself every time I run it, so you'd think at some point in one of those updates, they would have fixed the problems. I mean, how hard can it be - download update, copy entire update to phone, verify that the whole update has been copied, start updating process using the phone as the OTA update does, so Kies doesn't get in the way of anything.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Kies seems to update itself every time I run it, so you'd think at some point in one of those updates, they would have fixed the problems. I mean, how hard can it be - download update, copy entire update to phone, verify that the whole update has been copied, start updating process using the phone as the OTA update does, so Kies doesn't get in the way of anything.

Kies is the buggiest piece of shit ever. It's easier and more reliable to do it via Odin a third party app, how fucking ridiculous is that?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
oh god:

galaxy-note-ics.jpg

Samsung has begun quietly rolling out the long-desired Android 4.0 update for the Galaxy Note. When it arrives, it'll add the latest edition of Google's OS and the "Premium Suite" full of stylus S-pen friendly apps like S Note, Shape Match and My Story to your 5.3-inch phablet. The company is yet to confirm the launch, but several European users are already on the ICS bandwagon, with others expected to join soon -- but let's be honest, it's gonna feel like decades until that blessed notification pops up.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/10/galaxy-note-ics/

Doopliss

Are you guys sure that they haven't fixed it?

Kies is the buggiest piece of shit ever. It's easier and more reliable to do it via Odin a third party app, how fucking ridiculous is that?
From what I understand, Odin is Samsung's own software which they use internally for flashing ROMs.

I have now decided to steer well clear of Samsung for my next device. So far I have got it down to Sony Xperia GX, HTC One X and iPhone 5. I was going to look at GS3, but if the update service is poor and likely to brick my nice shiny phone then fuck that shit. I had no idea it was that bad! D:

I have now decided to steer well clear of Samsung for my next device. So far I have got it down to Sony Xperia GX, HTC One X and iPhone 5. I was going to look at GS3, but if the update service is poor and likely to brick my nice shiny phone then fuck that shit. I had no idea it was that bad! D:

As stated, Kies is shite but there's absolutely no need to use it if you install Odin instead. Don't let Kies knock a decent phone out of the running.

I'm also in the market for a new phone as mine couldn't be fixed after I dropped it down the bog. I'm basically deciding between GS3, One X and the new Xperia too. GS3 is currently in the lead as I don't like Sense.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I just rooted my thunderbolt. It was way easier than I was led to believe. I am now addicted to taking screenshots by shaking the stupid thing.

pP7Ku.png

So what apps do you guys recommend now that I am among the rooted elite?

I got a screenshot one, SetCPU, an ad blocker, titanium backup and that's about it. My goal in rooting is to try a different rom in the hopes of fixing my camera which is giving me the black screen of doom.

jokkir

Anyone know a reliable place to get an extra battery for my Nexus S? i1920T version.

Also, has ICS been rolling out for Rogers version of the S2 yet?

As stated, Kies is shite but there's absolutely no need to use it if you install Odin instead. Don't let Kies knock a decent phone out of the running.

I'm also in the market for a new phone as mine couldn't be fixed after I dropped it down the bog. I'm basically deciding between GS3, One X and the new Xperia too. GS3 is currently in the lead as I don't like Sense.

Yeah, I'm not sure I want the One X so much, but it still has amazing specs so it is still in the running. The Xperia GX is in the lead at the moment and it would also negate the need for me to own a compact camera as well and since I'm on the market for one anyway I figure the GX would be a good deal if they release it here soon.

What is this Odin? I'm not really up for third party update managers!

Doopliss

I just rooted my thunderbolt. It was way easier than I was led to believe. I am now addicted to taking screenshots by shaking the stupid thing.

ScreenShot.png

So what apps do you guys recommend now that I am among the rooted elite?

I got a screenshot one, SetCPU, an ad blocker, titanium backup and that's about it. My goal in rooting is to try a different rom in the hopes of fixing my camera which is giving me the black screen of doom.

Your image doesn't load, and neither does the one you posted in the apps topic.

Only app I'd recommend would be Cerberus anti theft. It has tons of features in case you ever lose your phone, and with root you can make it a system app so even if a thief wiped the phone it would still remain installed. (The only way to kill it is to flash another ROM or specifically delete the APK through a file manager.)

Yeah, I'm not sure I want the One X so much, but it still has amazing specs so it is still in the running. The Xperia GX is in the lead at the moment and it would also negate the need for me to own a compact camera as well and since I'm on the market for one anyway I figure the GX would be a good deal if they release it here soon.

What is this Odin? I'm not really up for third party update managers!
From what I understand, Odin is Samsung's own software which they use internally for flashing ROMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom