• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished putting my preorder in for the Evo LTE at Best Buy. Now all I'm waiting on is the phone and the $50 gift card I'll be buying Pikmin III with. Thanks HTC, Best Buy, or whoever was responsible :^)

Al-ibn Kermit

Is the back of the padfone aluminum? That's going to be slippery, and you can't exactly get a case if you want to fit it into the tablet section.

Also I heard the idea in a W7 thread about having a tablet with an ARM CPU and a keyboard dock with the x86 CPU so you can switch between using apps/real programs depending on your needs. I just realized that would be perfect for a device like the padfone.

Is that pure ICS on the phone?

It has some tiny UI changes, yet it'll probably get updated faster than the nexus devices.

SimleuqiR

It has some tiny UI changes, yet it'll probably get updated faster than the nexus devices.

Half an update don't make it a better update, no matter how fast you get it...I speak from experience (Asus Transformer).

I waited longer for the 4.0.4 update on my Nexus, but damn does my phone feel stable. My Tablet is another story, it still does not feel as stable as my Nexus - getting graphical glitches on the app switcher and icons/folders disappearing from the home screen. Had to switch to Nova Launcher cause the stock launcher for the T101 is way too glitchy.

Ashhong

I just rooted my thunderbolt. It was way easier than I was led to believe. I am now addicted to taking screenshots by shaking the stupid thing.

pP7Ku.png

So what apps do you guys recommend now that I am among the rooted elite?

I got a screenshot one, SetCPU, an ad blocker, titanium backup and that's about it. My goal in rooting is to try a different rom in the hopes of fixing my camera which is giving me the black screen of doom.

What widgets are those?

Cipherr

Jesus man. The HTC One line is just a fantastic looking phone. I stopped by ATT and Sprint after seeing a couple of movies today (Hunger Games and Avengers, like 5 hours of sitting on my ass, ugh) and the screen on the OneX is really really just amazing. I fiddled with the OneX then went directly over to the Sprint store and grabbed a Galaxy Nexus. The screen on the OneX is just better. Brighter and all, but the Nexus still easily has the second best screen on the market.

The brightness and the crisp and clearness of the laminated screen on the OneX is really addictive, I don't really think Ill be going with the S3.

PaulLFC

I'm amazed. Decided to risk using Kies to update my S2 to ICS, and it actually worked. Just booted up ICS for the first time :D

I have one question now - before I updated, I postponed an OTA software update. For some reason, even though I've upgraded to ICS, it's still telling me there's a pending update, and the only thing I can do is either run it (not a good idea I assume as I was on 2.3.3 when it downloaded...) or postpone it - for a day at the longest.

Is there any way to get it to clear that pending update, or at least stop nagging me to install it? Thanks!

Edit: Fixed it I think. Deleted the application data for Software Update and that seems to have made the update notification go away, even after a restart.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I decided to buy an ASUS Tablet preloaded with 4.something to stay away from the EVO LTE hype. I'll have it tomorrow morning and it better be hype.

Probably going to buy an Android tablet while I'm still in the US, and at the moment I'm looking at the the Asus ones, not really sure what the differances between the tf300 and the tf201 are though? And are there any better non-Asus tablets out there?

OpenDESIGN Aims To Bring All The Best Features From Manufacturer Skins To CM9-Compatible Devices

One of the biggest downfalls of major third-party ROMs is that often they miss out on features added by manufacturers. OpenDESIGN is an attempt to rectify this problem, spearheaded by XpLoDWilD of TeamHacksung, a subgroup of the CyanogenMod team. Ultimately, the goal is to rebuild popular and useful manufacturer features and build them into CM9 for all to be able to use.

The site's FAQ says that these features will be "written from the ground up and will be opensourced early on." This should be extremely helpful for the community as a whole. From features like stop watches to S Pen functionality, the biggest reason to continue using a manufacturer skin instead of an AOSP-based ROM is extra features added by the manufacturer. This will help level the playing field a bit for the enthusiasts among us who want to tweak their phones to perfection.

At the moment, the site is just getting started, so if you're a developer that wants to help build features that will eventually be integrated into CM9, or just want to contribute to the project, you can head to the site and sign-up/donate now.

Probably going to buy an Android tablet while I'm still in the US, and at the moment I'm looking at the the Asus ones, not really sure what the differances between the tf300 and the tf201 are though? And are there any better non-Asus tablets out there?

Here is a good video on them.

The 300:
  • Has a lesser screen, but due to the plastic back it has better gps and wifi reception
  • The battery is slightly smaller
  • CPU is 100MHz slower clock speed, graphics are 200MHz slower
  • No Gorilla Glass
  • Thicker and heavier

Looking for some advice on a great epub reader program, and the best program for cbz and cbr reading. I have tried a handful of free apps but none have really worked as smoothly as the iBooks program on my iPad or the default Nook reader that came with my nook color before I flashed full android on it

edit: just realized there is a thread specifically for android apps, taking this over to that thread

I don't think they realize all things end up in AOSP anyways.

Resizeable widgets were a product of moto. Split app drawer courtesy of Samsung. Slow updates, a proxy by Verizon. Led access thanks to HTC.

still waiting on T-Mobile Theme Changer to hit the primetime... and configurable toggles in the notification pulldown.

yogloo

I did, but it's too early to tell.

So far, I'm really enjoying the improved speed and smoothness. :)

Let us know after a few days!!!!
I am back to gingerbread because of the kernel corruption on the leak ICS. The gingerbread battery life is pretty nice.

Don't know why but I've had the hardest time finding the movie studio apk from stock ICS. If anyone could extract it from their phone I would be grateful.

I believe it's called videoeditor.apk and its probably located in system/app/

Ydahs

Thought I'd check to see if my phone needed an update and it turns I can upgrade it to ICS!

Just installed it, but there's not much different. Anything I should be sure to check out?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Just wanted to post that after getting an iPhone 4S back at launch, I bought a RAZR MAXX last night and couldn't be happier to be back on Android. There's a lot of good stuff about iOS, but Android is better for me. I missed having a big screen, notification LED, a Back button, and so much other stuff.

I was on the fence between the MAXX and a GNex, but ultimately decided I wanted something with a great battery to take advantage of 4G.

I've always been a big LauncherPro guy, but I was curious if there are any strong new contenders besides GO Launcher.

Talon

Google+ on iOS looks phenomenal.

Really think Duarte and the Kevin Rose + Milk team (mobile development house) acquisitions are going to make a huge difference for the next generation of native Google products.

Get hyped, Android-GAF.

gcubed

Google+ on iOS looks phenomenal.

Really think Duarte and the Kevin Rose + Milk team (mobile development house) acquisitions are going to make a huge difference for the next generation of native Google products.

Get hyped, Android-GAF.

i'm hot and cold on it (in picture form). I'd have to use it to see how i like it, it seems very ... busy.

Just wanted to post that after getting an iPhone 4S back at launch, I bought a RAZR MAXX last night and couldn't be happier to be back on Android. There's a lot of good stuff about iOS, but Android is better for me. I missed having a big screen, notification LED, a Back button, and so much other stuff.

I was on the fence between the MAXX and a GNex, but ultimately decided I wanted something with a great battery to take advantage of 4G.

I've always been a big LauncherPro guy, but I was curious if there are any strong new contenders besides GO Launcher.

when you get ICS, Nova/Apex

especially funny because there are already stable custom roms up and running

I was a big LauncherPro fan too when I had my Galaxy S, but I made the switch to ADW EX when I got my Galaxy Nexus and haven't looked back. (it helps that I got it for 10p in the market sale a few months back).

tino

Banned
So this is a quadcore A9X4 chip from Qualcomm? Since it comes out after Snapdragon S4 I assume its faster? Is this going to be called S5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom