• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Just ridiculous named one variants.

I doubt it, last year Verizon ordered Incredible 2, the purple Rhyme, and later a 4.3" 720p Rezound from HTC.

So this year they got the Incredible update, maybe another chick phone depends on the sales of Rhyme, another mid-high range-ish phone exclusive to Verizon at the end of the year.

Circle T

Just ridiculous named one variants.

Exactly. They'll release a tweaked version of the One X this summer I'm guessing, probably the "Thunderbolt HD" or something thereabouts. Maybe with that quad-core version of the S4 that LG is using?

gcubed

Exactly. They'll release a tweaked version of the One X this summer I'm guessing, probably the "Thunderbolt HD" or something thereabouts. Maybe with that quad-core version of the S4 that LG is using?

The Incredible 2 is a scaled down version of the One series (closer to the S)

I expect the same as others have said here, some random thing running it. Unless they plan on focusing solely on the GS3... i mean, its the same damn phone (in the US)

Circle T

It's been over a year since the Thunderbolt launched, and it was a pretty high-end device at it's time. I would think something with One X-ish specs would fit quite well for an update for it. Who knows.

gwarm01

What do you guys think about the Galaxy Nexus vs. the Incredible 4G? If the size difference doesn't matter how do they compare based on hardware alone? I have a Nexus now but a friend might be able to snag me the new Incredible when it launches. I'm going to give the lesser phone to my not so picky wife.

The Incredible 2 is a scaled down version of the One series (closer to the S)

I expect the same as others have said here, some random thing running it. Unless they plan on focusing solely on the GS3... i mean, its the same damn phone (in the US)

it doesn't have DAT HTC ONE CAMERA TECH so i wouldn't call it close... all it has is Krait...

gcubed

What do you guys think about the Galaxy Nexus vs. the Incredible 4G? If the size difference doesn't matter how do they compare based on hardware alone? I have a Nexus now but a friend might be able to snag me the new Incredible when it launches. I'm going to give the lesser phone to my not so picky wife.

The Incredible 4G is the lesser phone.

Ecto311

Heads up the htc one x is $129 on amazon wireless for upgrades. Never delt with them before but I'm going to give them a shot for that price.

Galaxy Nexus 2 gets A15? Or a tablet.

Developers who follow Google’s back-end work religiously noticed within the last few days, that edits were made to their Git repository which included references to Samsung’s Exynos 5250 dual-core chipset. That would be the Cortex A15 based processor with the Mali T-604 GPU inside, aka the SoC that we are all hoping would end up in the Galaxy SIII (Exynos 4412 with Cortex A9s and a Mali 400 GPU). Assuming it comes loaded into a device this year, we aren’t sure any other processor will touch it.

More importantly though, people have started to ask one very complex question, “Does this mean Samsung and Google have partnered up to produce the next Nexus, again?” I’d say that’s still anyone’s guess, but if this Git repository is indeed Google’s, then this could be our first hint at that happening (at least on the processor front). One thing to keep in mind is that Exynos and Samsung Mobile are separate from each other. So Google could use an Exynos chipset in something, but that doesn’t mean that Samsung is making the phone too. After all, the Galaxy Nexus had an OMAP4460 chipset made by Texas Instruments inside, but of course, was made by Sammie on the outside.

What’s interesting is that a 1280×800 resolution was spotted, a resolution normally seen on tablets, well, aside from the Galaxy Note. So then one has to ask, is this the “Nexus” Tablet or what we refer to as the Google Play Tablet? Asus was thought to have been pegged as the maker of that device, but as you all know, their cheap $249 slate that was on display at CES was powered by NVIDIA’s Tegra 3. Maybe Google decided they weren’t interested in powering that little guy with an NVIDIA processor and switched it up on the inside? If that’s the case, wouldn’t the price then be driven up by a brand new processor like the Exynos 5250 and defeat the purpose of it? Or again, this could be a big ol’ phone that we won’t see it until the end of the year when normal Nexus phones roll out. So many questions.

Ashhong

Bump, in theory, should do NFC like stuff. But you need a data connection. And you need to try 17 times. And you can only transfer the most basic stuff.

You don't need data to use nfc? This changes everything! Not even when you want to use it to pay for stuff?

kehs

Banned
NFC (Near Field Communication) is a couple of things. From a passive antenna to an active writer/reader.

On something like the Galaxy Nexus/Nexus S/GSIII/etc you have a secure element, antenna, and tag that can write, read, and project NFC information.

You can transfer data through NFC, but it's very small (500KB I think) so like at most a picture. Great for links/contact cards/entry codes/pairing information.

If you have a secure element device (like on GN), you can mimic a "passive" antenna for things like Credit cards/transit cards/key codes. The GN can also write passive tags with whatever info you want. Like you can write a tag that says "when scanned unlock screen/turn up volume/launch music).

The stick on nfc tags are passive tags that are pre-written with information, so you can't do cool stuff like write tags with them.

The GSIII's S-Beam is a more elaborate version of android beam that consists of sending wifi direct pairing information between the two devices. So you touch them together, and they will both sync up via wifi. Once there you can transfer larger data information.

I think I got all of that right.

Fezan

My galaxy note sometimes connect to wifi but does not browse or dl anything.it just connects with one signal .this happens mostly in my uni or at my friends house.my laptop and other devices work fine but note gives this problem.but at my place and in other places like pizza it works perfectly fine :(.

Also is there official way to dl stuff legaly through pc if you dont have wifi

self quoting

The web browsing on the one x is really crappy regardless of web browser you used. Gnex web browsing is much smoother. The stock keyboard is also crap....so far other than that its awesome.

I got 40mbps dl and 20mbps on speedtest in the bay area...that's pretty dayam fast.

The web browsing on the one x is really crappy regardless of web browser you used. Gnex web browsing is much smoother. The stock keyboard is also crap....so far other than that its awesome.

I got 40mbps dl and 20mbps on speedtest in the bay area...that's pretty dayam fast.

Isn't there a variant of the stock browser on the Play Store?

In other news I need some help with a little Android Project I'm cooking up. Nothing fancy but I need a logo and also... well that would be telling. If anybody here has some design chops and fancies doing a small (but hopefully fun) bit of work, PM me! I can't offer any cash but I can offer gratitude. I'm off to bed but I'll keep an eye out in the morning :)

kehs

Banned

In other news I need some help with a little Android Project I'm cooking up. Nothing fancy but I need a logo and also... well that would be telling. If anybody here has some design chops and fancies doing a small (but hopefully fun) bit of work, PM me! I can't offer any cash but I can offer gratitude. I'm off to bed but I'll keep an eye out in the morning :)

I'm down, hit me up whenever.

Ecto311

Damn I just ordered one from amazon. I will use it for browsing mostly. Would something like this be fixed in a patch? New to android and wanna get a decent starter.

Almost got the s2 but thought the newer phone (one x) would be a better experience. Now I read this and the ics cm9 for the i777 being great I may return it after trying it.

Pein

Banned
got the grey one x, they were sold out of the white and I don't' care enough about color to wait. So long GS2 its been great. Now I need a really stylish case.

I've used ics+ browser, chrome, opera...and it still not a smooth as the gnex or the s2

Damn I just ordered one from amazon. I will use it for browsing mostly. Would something like this be fixed in a patch? New to android and wanna get a decent starter.

Almost got the s2 but thought the newer phone (one x) would be a better experience. Now I read this and the ics cm9 for the i777 being great I may return it after trying it.

I had the i777, browsing with that thing was soo smooth definitely better than the HTC one X.

but everything else the one x is a beast. but once the s3 comes out...I will be getting rid of it.

Smokey

what the fuck..im on the OG evo and was going to move to the 4g lte this friday but...

the evo 4g lte will not work with sprints existing 4g network...since lte is not out yet you are essentially stuck with a 3g phone

wat

this changes... everything. i am in houston and lte will come here in mid 2012 or whatever but still...wtf

Cipherr

what the fuck..im on the OG evo and was going to move to the 4g lte this friday but...

the evo 4g lte will not work with sprints existing 4g network...since lte is not out yet you are essentially stuck with a 3g phone

wat

this changes... everything. i am in houston and lte will come here in mid 2012 or whatever but still...wtf

Yep. No Wimax radio in it. The only reason I consider the EvoLTE is because im in KCMO, one of the first markets to get LTE. But if you are somewhere where LTE wont be lit for Sprint until next year, you should probably be looking at Verizon, AT&T, sticking with your current phone, or buying a Sprint S2 off of contract to hold you over until next year.

Yep. No Wimax radio in it. The only reason I consider the EvoLTE is because im in KCMO, one of the first markets to get LTE. But if you are somewhere where LTE wont be lit for Sprint until next year, you should probably be looking at Verizon, AT&T, sticking with your current phone, or buying a Sprint S2 off of contract to hold you over until next year.

gonna guess many people aren't even in Wimax areas any way.

There's one big problem with their implementation though, in stock ICS, you have 6 options for lock screens: None, Slide, Face Unlock, Pattern, PIN, and Password. HTC removed "Slide" (the default ICS circle unlock) and built their lock screen on the "None" option. So now "None" (which is still just called "None") doesn't mean "none" anymore, it means "HTC Lock screen."

Now, I'm not really a fan of lock screens. My phone doesn't turn on in my pocket, so I don't understand the need to add an extra step to the beginning of every phone interaction. Normally "None" is my go-to option, but since "None" is now the HTC lock screen, you are stuck with it unless you install a 3rd party app.

This is also an added annoyance if you use one of the security lock screens, because now you have two lock screens. On stock ICS, if you use pattern unlock, when you turn on the phone, you just swipe your pattern, and get down to business. On the Evo, you first get the ring unlock, then the pattern unlock. Double lock screens.
wat

Al-ibn Kermit

wat

Then just wait a few months if the data speed is that big of a deal.

Hell by the summer, the OneX will probably be like half the price you would pay then if you bought it now (gotta love that Android competition).

Ashhong

Best phone available right now is one hell of a starter lol

tino

Banned
If you don't want lockscreen, you can look into various screen unlockers.

I use Taskers to turn off lockscreen when I am home and turn it on when I am away from my wifi. It's extremely convenient.

Ecto311

Best phone available right now is one hell of a starter lol

I understand that but I have heard a lot of sites and people here say there is lag compared to cheaper older phones. Just don't want to be locked in for 18 months with a phone that isn't performing as well as phones a year older than it.

I do have 30 day and hopefully that's enough time to pick between the oneX, s3, or s2 with cm9.

Circle T

Been like that for a while, actually. When the Vivid got its ICS update a while back, if you set it to do Face Unlock, it will do the face part first, but then you still get the Ring. I guess HTC really wants you to use the Ring, but yea, it's a total inconvenience having two unlock screens.

Talon

wat

LTE antennas are not compatible with WiMax antennas.

Next you'll find out that ethernet cables aren't compatible with phone jacks.

I too think its a bit crappy that the Evo LTE can't be maximized yet. I rarely used 4g anyway as I'm always around a wifi connection, so it's not a big issue for my use. Still, it's a bit stupid. I'm in the Houston area as well btw.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So apparently the Galaxy Note 10.1 might be getting a brand new Mali GPU along with the new quad core cpu:

NdVfs.jpg

http://blog.gsmarena.com/a-benchmark-confirms-quad-core-cpu-and-new-mali-t-604-gpu-for-the-samsung-galaxy-note-10-1/

kinggroin

Banned
I've used ics+ browser, chrome, opera...and it still not a smooth as the gnex or the s2

I had the i777, browsing with that thing was soo smooth definitely better than the HTC one X.

but everything else the one x is a beast. but once the s3 comes out...I will be getting rid of it.

Does forcing gpu acceleration help any?

Ashhong

I understand that but I have heard a lot of sites and people here say there is lag compared to cheaper older phones. Just don't want to be locked in for 18 months with a phone that isn't performing as well as phones a year older than it.

I do have 30 day and hopefully that's enough time to pick between the oneX, s3, or s2 with cm9.

That kind of lag (scrolling and web browsing) can probably be fixed by software, but don't take my word on that.

I still think, especially for your uses, the S2 would have been a great pick. It's free! Take that 200$ saved and buy yourself something nice.

ShinNL

Does anyone own an Xperia Ray or Arc? Have you updated to ICS yet? Cause I've updated to ICS, also did a factory reset but it's not running as flawless as I hoped. Not sure if it's placebo, but I think when I was on Gingerbread it was smoother.

Am I forced to go all hacky? Right now I didn't root anything and I like to keep the Sony UI. Is there a way for me to speed things up?

I can live with a little bit of stutter with main screen scrolling (I like using the Cosmic Flow background), but shooting 720p video is not properly smooth, which is bugging me the most.

Edit: wow, after searching on Google for solutions, apparently if you disable video stabilization the recording turns back to smooth. Answer found here in the OP Q&A: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1569309. Tested it and it's true, I can record perfectly now. I choose shaky cam over choppy framerates any day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom