• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So apparently the Galaxy Note 10.1 might be getting a brand new Mali GPU along with the new quad core cpu:

NdVfs.jpg

http://blog.gsmarena.com/a-benchmark-confirms-quad-core-cpu-and-new-mali-t-604-gpu-for-the-samsung-galaxy-note-10-1/

Just to update this information, some are speculating that this means it's getting a high res screen now. I can't wait for this thing to be released.

Woah if true!

The Verge said:
Google's apparently ready to greatly expand its Nexus program: the Wall Street Journal is reporting that the company plans to give multiple device OEMs early access to future versions of Android and sell those devices directly to consumers. The full portfolio of new Nexus-class devices will reportedly be available by Thanksgiving.

xtop

I fucking called it. That Google will let multiple companies make a "nexus" device.

I also said that these multi-manufacturer nexus devices would have more or less the same internals and that they would have to give you the option between stock and skinned android. We'll see if that comes true.

nexus device means no skin, but i see what you're getting at

Futureman

I have no interest in buying a phone unlocked. Hope these Nexus phones will be available through carriers as well.

I mean... is there any point of buying unlocked if you live in one city and don't travel? How does that even work? You just pay someone month to month for service instead of a 2 year contract?

Toki767

I have no interest in buying a phone unlocked. Hope these Nexus phones will be available through carriers as well.

I mean... is there any point of buying unlocked if you live in one city and don't travel? How does that even work? You just pay someone month to month for service instead of a 2 year contract?

Pretty much. That and tethering is free without rooting your phone.

Well if you live in Europe it is often cheaper to buy unlocked and run a sim only. Plus it means you don't have to wait for carrier approved updates. Plus you aren't trapped into something for 2 years. So you can sell your phone after a new year and use it to fund your new Nexus. That's what I've done.

So yeah lots of benefits. If you don't want unlocked phones no one is forcing you to buy one :-/

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Why? Considering the biggest weakness of LG is their software and update support, having stock android would mitigate that weakness.

Personal bias. I have yet to be impressed by anything LG has done in the smartphone space. I used to have an LG shine flipphone back in the day, really solid phone, but they haven't made anything spectacular since that would cause me to pick their device over anyone else's. I also consider their hardware to be a weakness too (external not internal).

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
i added an acer iconia a200 with my transformer 3 today. iconia is like a tablet for kids :/

tokkun

Well if you live in Europe it is often cheaper to buy unlocked and run a sim only. Plus it means you don't have to wait for carrier approved updates. Plus you aren't trapped into something for 2 years. So you can sell your phone after a new year and use it to fund your new Nexus. That's what I've done.

So yeah lots of benefits. If you don't want unlocked phones no one is forcing you to buy one :-/

There just isn't a lot of value to buying an unlocked phone in the US unless you are on a small regional carrier. Sprint and Verizon don't allow unlocked phones on their network. I think T-Mobile is the only one of the big nation-wide carriers that even offers a discount for prepaid phones.

kinggroin

Banned
I set my browser default to something else. The firefox beta seem to be really smooth on it.

the HTC one x stock browser is really a POS...even double tapping to zoom it will do that flicker thing/text wrapping thing or what ever you call it...

That's odd, because the Firefox beta still scrolls choppy.

There just isn't a lot of value to buying an unlocked phone in the US unless you are on a small regional carrier. Sprint and Verizon don't allow unlocked phones on their network. I think T-Mobile is the only one of the big nation-wide carriers that even offers a discount for prepaid phones.

That's fair enough, but the world doesn't begin and end at the shores of the US of A, and at least Google are allowing you to purchase a phone carrier free, rather than giving you no choice at all. Why anyone would complain at being given a choice is beyond me, no-one is being forced to buy handsets unlocked and I'd still expect Nexus phones to be sold by carriers. I think the Verizon experience with the Galaxy Nexus and Google Wallet caused them to re-assess their plans for Nexus devices. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus has hurt the Nexus brand and I'm not sure that they want to be put in that position again, and a subsidised Nexus range sold direct would give them a little more leverage.

Customers seem to be treated badly in the US, partly because of the CDMA/GSM split. You pay a small fortune for mobile contracts compared to us, yet only AT&T and Verizon seem to make any kind of profit which should be worrying. The regulators need to step in to ensure a consistent 4g standard across networks with inter-operable hardware with removable sims whatever fashion they might be in. Then you might get the competition that seems so desperately lacking.

quaere

Nonsense. Unlimited talk/text/data on either the AT&T or T-Mobile network for $45 a month. You will easily recover the initial premium of buying unlocked.
That's odd, because the Firefox beta still scrolls choppy.
Have you updated your Firefox today? The first beta with the new interface was just released. And are you running ICS? From my testing of the nightly builds scrolling on ICS is much better than on Gingerbread right now. Opera is just the opposite. Run it if you're on Gingerbread but I wouldn't recommend it on ICS, it's choppier.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
apple can eat a dick. I hope someone blocks their new phone launch week.

I've found the pros and cons of the transformer 3 and iconia. Iconia has haptic feedback while the tf3 doesn't. sad panda.

Pctx

Banned
apple can eat a dick. I hope someone blocks their new phone launch week.

I've found the pros and cons of the transformer 3 and iconia. Iconia has haptic feedback while the tf3 doesn't. sad panda.
If i were Samsung, i would file a patent suit a day before the unveiling.

Shinobix

So I was fooling around with the blacklist option on my Galaxy SII and added a contact to the blacklist, but now I can't receive calls from said contact even though I've already cleared my blacklist. Got any idea how I can fix this?

Al-ibn Kermit

It would be glorious in the next few iPhones and iPads got delayed/temporarily banned for the same reason. These UI patents are just so obvious I can't believe one person gets to patent it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/n4o93/i_have_found_preexisiting_features_in_1980s/

Why isn't Apple being charged like Microsoft was once for anti competitive practices?

And lol, somebody had this idea in the stone age of the internet yet we're arguing over patents right now.

Zeppu

Android Humour!

1. You know you’re rooted when your girlfriend can’t get hold of you for an hour because you’re in recovery.. and she becomes suspicious.

2. You know you’re rooted when someone asks if rooting is like jail breaking their iPhone and you laugh in their face.

3. You know you’re rooted when boot loops don’t scare you anymore.

4. You know you’re rooted when your girlfriend looks in your messages and gets suspicious cause you have none.

5. You know your are rooted when u scream “YESSSS” in a bus full of people because a rom update successfully booted up.

6. You know you are rooted when someone at a party says “hey you have that awesome 12/8 mp camera phone right? Please take a pic of us” and you can only sheepishly reply “Cyanogenmod doesn’t have working camera yet”

7. You know you’re rooted when you take your Android phone to the service center and they say that your warranty is voided because of rooting.

8. You know your rooted when you wake up and your Android device is still in your hands.

9. You know you are rooted when two iPhone guys are talking about their phones and you are sitting there smiling thinking “if only they could understand the things you do on your phone is of a magnitude higher than they can ever do”

10. You know you’re rooted when your microUSB cable connected to your PC is used more often than your mouse.

Cipherr

Well, we know from the roadmap they had for Android that with the next update or so they plan to make some radical changes to Android. It was worded something like "In 2013, change up the game" or something like that. It would be very very interesting if this turned out to be it. All of the major manufacturers offering a Nexus device of their own around December of each year, followed by their own flagships around 6 of each year (six months later) which would all likely be running the up to date version of the of OS. 4.0, 5.0 and whatnot.

Having all of them participate in the Nexus program means they are all updating their phones around the exact same time. And they all get early access. Not to mention that many more Nexus devices trickling down into the "cheap Android phone" price range 12-18 months later. This could be a pretty damn big move. This also straight up unravels the whole Motorola thing. They will and could use Motorola to make their own phones if they do this. So long as they open it to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom