• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppu

FYI GAF

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=26145534

[Warning] Google Music and Root

If you have root, then be careful. If you authorize 10 devices (different ROMs) to your Google Account, then you can't add any more. It used to be as simple as deauthorizing devices every time you reach you limit. As of now, you can only deauthorize 4 device PER YEAR. Be careful...I just had to reupload all my music to a different account because of this.

kinggroin

Banned
Nonsense. Unlimited talk/text/data on either the AT&T or T-Mobile network for $45 a month. You will easily recover the initial premium of buying unlocked.

Have you updated your Firefox today? The first beta with the new interface was just released. And are you running ICS? From my testing of the nightly builds scrolling on ICS is much better than on Gingerbread right now. Opera is just the opposite. Run it if you're on Gingerbread but I wouldn't recommend it on ICS, it's choppier.

Yeah. I'm on a gnex, and the new release scrolls through mobile gaf choppy when I do it fast. Similar to Chrome.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/16/3023645/sony-xperia-sx-hands-on-video

DSC01702_gallery_post.jpg

Sony's Xperia SX, which was announced last week for release in Japan, is in many ways the most likable handset we've seen from the company's mobile reboot. It's a tiny phone with a 3.7-inch 960 x 540 display, a 1.5GHz dual-core processor, an 8-megapixel camera, LTE support via Docomo's Xi network, and an array of features from 1seg TV to Osaifu Keitai NFC. Sony has done a pretty amazing job fitting everything into such a diminutive frame (the phone is 9.4mm thick and weighs just 95g), but the design remains as sleek and minimal as the Xperia S.

As with every other smartphone announced today as part of Docomo's summer lineup, the SX runs Android 4.0 and is all the better for it. While it has been skinned by Sony, of course, it's pretty tastefully done and doesn't seem to slow the phone down much, if at all. Unlike the Xperia S, the SX has onscreen buttons, but otherwise the software effort bodes well for the Ice Cream Sandwich update coming to its bigger brother in the next few weeks. There's no word yet on whether the SX will make it beyond the shores of Japan in future, but we certainly hope so — it's the most impressive device yet to duck out of the Android screen size arms race.

Looks like a great device, I hope they have some impressions on the GX soon.

So it looks like the fragmentation argument is raising its ugly head again. In the last 2 weeks there have been articles on tech crunch and Gizmodo (lol) basically spouting the same old bullshit.

The Gizmodo article was around the graph showing 4000 different devices running Android. This apparently is one of the new definitions of fragmentation, so Windows must be screwed right? I mean people write articles all the time about how badly fragmented Windows is don't they? Oh they don't? And all these versions too... XP, Vista, Vista home, Vista Basic, Windows 7.....

Programming for Android is like building a website.
You have to consider what your site will look like on different screens but as long as you follow the design guidelines and use the standard API's you'll be fine. If you want to reach the majority of devices you simply need to target 2.2 upwards. Heck even 2.3 upwards.

It's amazing that this fud is still being perpetuated. The only issue with Android is oem's and carriers being slow to update, but that doesn't mean that developers are somehow screwed....

It would seem that the new stick used to beat Android with is that it is available on too many devices because it's too popular with OEMs. Ridiculous.

SimleuqiR

Welp, I'm glad that Android (ICS + new hardware) is at a state where I don't see the point in rooting and using a custom ROM. I will just stick to the Nexus line - and I do hope that we have multiple Nexus devices from different OEMs down the road. That will make things so much easier.

I only rooted and installed CM6 & CM7 due to the Nexus One's hardware limitations.

SimleuqiR

I want to frame this and hang it on my wall

DAT Fragmentation!!

<3 Fragmentation?

Developers tend to bemoan Android fragmentation yet there's much here to be celebrated.

We've collected signal data from 195 countries - the variety of Android devices and manufacturers has been crucial in allowing the OS to reach so many markets. For example the 5 countries where OSM gets most use are: US, Brazil, China, Russia, Mexico. From what we're seeing the developing world is no longer developing but leading Europe.

While the number of different models running Android will continue to increase we've seen Samsung take the lion's share of the Android market, most of that due to the Galaxy product line. Testing on the most popular Samsung & HTC devices will get you a long way.

API and screen fragmentation is probably going to get worse. Android has, however, shown committment to make it easier to target multiple screen sizes - by introducing the (perhaps ironically named) fragments APIs in 2011 which makes it easier to turn view elements into modules.

One of the joys of developing for Android is you have no idea who'll end up using your app.

With many devices under $100 unsubsidized, Android phones and tablets are able to reach a market that can't afford netbooks. For the majority of the world's population smartphones (and not computers) will be the must-have devices. We hope that OpenSignalMaps will be a must-have app.

3phemeral

Sucks about Google Music and flashing ROMs. I just cleaned that out a week or so ago and suddenly had major issues with the new Transformer replacement I bought suddenly boot looping with a failed encryption warning and wasn't able to get into adb shell OR APX. Finally fixed it via APX reboot and luck, so I tested out ICS stock .21, AOKP M5, and AOKP B36 and stumbled upon this news. Now I can't delete 3 duplicates of my TF101. Boo hiss.

Akira

White Xperia GX for me. If I weren't set with my iPhone 4 for at least another year or two, I'd be switching to the international version of the GX. The SX is mighty tempting too, it's design is beautiful (love the character lines reminiscent of the NXT series) and I believe it has the S4 processor, same as the GX (correct me if I'm wrong).

White Xperia GX for me. If I weren't set with my iPhone 4 for at least another year or two, I'd be switching to the international version of the GX. The SX is mighty tempting too, it's design is beautiful (love the character lines reminiscent of the NXT series) and I believe it has the S4 processor, same as the GX (correct me if I'm wrong).

Both SX/GX use MSM8960.

Circle T

Welp, that sucks fucking big time. With my constant trying of new ROMs, and switching of my work phone so often, I'm pretty much hosed. I went in and tried to deauthorize something just now, and it wouldn't let me. So, now I have 2 instances of my Note in there, and 3 instances of my Nexus, and can't clean any of them out. Excellent, just fucking excellent.

On a related note, does Google Music limit how many devices can be authorized on an account? With those duplicates, my work phone, and my laptop, I'm sitting at 7 already. If it's ten, and I can't deauthorize anything, I'm done.

tino

Banned
Welp, that sucks fucking big time. With my constant trying of new ROMs, and switching of my work phone so often, I'm pretty much hosed. I went in and tried to deauthorize something just now, and it wouldn't let me. So, now I have 2 instances of my Note in there, and 3 instances of my Nexus, and can't clean any of them out. Excellent, just fucking excellent.

On a related note, does Google Music limit how many devices can be authorized on an account? With those duplicates, my work phone, and my laptop, I'm sitting at 7 already. If it's ten, and I can't deauthorize anything, I'm done.

You don't need to deauthorize the different rom of your phone, just let they sit there. When you reflash back and fore, use Titanium to restore google music. Perosnally I have move back to use Uber Music. Google music still can't consistently show album art of new uploads.

You can deauthorize 4 every year. Realistically you only play with rom of 1-2 phones every year.

Circle T

You don't need to deauthorize the different rom of your phone, just let they sit there.

This only works if the phone is named the same in the build.prop files. I have 2 different listings for my Note, and because they were 2 different ROMs from different devs, they are listed differently. One is called "Note", while the other is listed as "Android Samsung GT-N7000" in the device list.

When you reflash back and fore, use Titanium to restore google music.

From XDA....

XDA Blog said:
Currently, there are only two ways around this new rule—either create a new account and re-upload your music to the servers or restore a Nandroid backup from a ROM that was working before. Using Titanium Backup (or any other app-specific backup) has been shown to not work, unfortunately.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/google-music-limits-device-deauthorization-makes-flashers-pay/

You can deauthorize 4 every year. Realistically you only play with rom of 1-2 phones every year.

Maybe you do, but I go through at least 3-4 different work phones in a year, let alone all the different ROMs I might try on my other personal devices. For me, this is going to be a big annoyance, especially if there is a 10 device limit on authorizations.

reKon

Banned
I dunno what to do about Google music. Isn't there another way they could have individually IDed each device without the rom running on it affect this?

Circle T

I dunno what to do about Google music. Isn't there another way they could have individually IDed each device without the rom running on it affect this?

Well, the IMEI of a device doesn't change with ROM changes, so they could use that. I'm not sure why they don't already, to be honest.

tino

Banned
This only works if the phone is named the same in the build.prop files. I have 2 different listings for my Note, and because they were 2 different ROMs from different devs, they are listed differently. One is called "Note", while the other is listed as "Android Samsung GT-N7000" in the device list.

From XDA....

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/google-music-limits-device-deauthorization-makes-flashers-pay/

Maybe you do, but I go through at least 3-4 different work phones in a year, let alone all the different ROMs I might try on my other personal devices. For me, this is going to be a big annoyance, especially if there is a 10 device limit on authorizations.

Have you tried two different set of Titanium Back? I follow two ROM and flash back and fore for my HD2. On my google music setting I only see two devices for my HD2.

Who goes through 4 work phones in a year? Why should google music consider the need of phone salesman?

Again, SD card is better and you can always upload music to multiple google accounts.

Circle T

Who goes through 4 work phones in a year? Why should google music consider the need of phone salesman?
I'm not a "phone salesman", but thanks for saying that my contention to this issue is unwarranted :/

Again, SD card is better and you can always upload music to multiple google accounts.

Sure, let me just grab a 128GB MicroSD card to be able to hold all my music that was up on Google Music..... oh, never mind.

kehs

Banned
Google's unique Identification is a combination of Build ID(rom)/GoogleID/IMEI to create a unique fingerprint per "device initialization".

Are there even 10 different roms word flashing to, aren't most of them just rip offs from CM anyways?

tino

Banned
I'm not a "phone salesman", but thanks for saying that my contention to this issue is unwarranted :/

Sure, let me just grab a 128GB MicroSD card to be able to hold all my music that was up on Google Music..... oh, never mind.

If you do have 10k+ song on google music, which I do. You should know resyncing music database back to a new android device is painfully slow. And after syncing, tons of album art still don't show up. Google Music is designed for convenience, it completely lacks power user features.

And if you do have 120GB of music, there is no other solution anyway. *rolleyes*

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

lol

Circle T

And if you do have 120GB of music, there is no other solution anyway. *rolleyes*

Oh, well excuse me for having a different use case and opinion than you. You can roll your eyes all you want, and act like my opinion doesn't matter, but up until this recent change, this WAS the perfect solution for me. I have ~75-80GB of music, and Google Music worked great. I have all my music available on all of my different devices, and don't have to worry about playlists or any of that. It's all there. With these new limitations, however, I'm soon going to hit a wall with it, and that bums me out.

Futureman

Oh, well excuse me for having a different use case and opinion than you. You can roll your eyes all you want, and act like my opinion doesn't matter, but up until this recent change, this WAS the perfect solution for me. I have ~75-80GB of music, and Google Music worked great. I have all my music available on all of my different devices, and don't have to worry about playlists or any of that. It's all there. With these new limitations, however, I'm soon going to hit a wall with it, and that bums me out.

not trying to be an a-hole, but almost no one goes through so many ROMs/phones per year. So yea, you are going to run into issues if you, for whatever reason, need to be on so many phones and builds.

Circle T

not trying to be an a-hole, but almost no one goes through so many ROMs/phones per year. So yea, you are going to run into issues if you, for whatever reason, need to be on so many phones and builds.

I'm not in any way saying that I am a completely typical user. I'm simply saying that, up until now, I've had no issues with the service, and this new change really hampers me. That's all.

The multiple entries of the same device in the list doesn't help, though. We can't remove old devices from our Market device list, and now I can't deauthorize those duplicates in Music.

Blackhead

Redarse

1. You know you’re rooted when your girlfriend can’t get hold of you for an hour because you’re in recovery.. and she becomes suspicious.

2. You know you’re rooted when someone asks if rooting is like jail breaking their iPhone and you laugh in their face.

3. You know you’re rooted when boot loops don’t scare you anymore.

4. You know you’re rooted when your girlfriend looks in your messages and gets suspicious cause you have none.

5. You know your are rooted when u scream “YESSSS” in a bus full of people because a rom update successfully booted up.

6. You know you are rooted when someone at a party says “hey you have that awesome 12/8 mp camera phone right? Please take a pic of us” and you can only sheepishly reply “Cyanogenmod doesn’t have working camera yet”

7. You know you’re rooted when you take your Android phone to the service center and they say that your warranty is voided because of rooting.

8. You know your rooted when you wake up and your Android device is still in your hands.

9. You know you are rooted when two iPhone guys are talking about their phones and you are sitting there smiling thinking “if only they could understand the things you do on your phone is of a magnitude higher than they can ever do”

10. You know you’re rooted when your microUSB cable connected to your PC is used more often than your mouse.

So what does it say about me that I recognized that eight out of ten of those should be 'rom' jokes not 'rooted' jokes?

So this 7-inch tablet is cheap as hell.

Should I give it a go?

Edit:

2012041216021227.gif

Specs

CPU: Cortex A8 [dual core processor up to 1.5GHz]
Display: 7" 800x480 TFT
Capacitive Multi-Touch
16:9
System Storage: 4GB
Memory: DDR3 512 MB
G-sensor: 3 Axis
Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n
support 3G USB dongle
Video formats 1080p
GPU 3D Engine: Mali-400
Camera: 1.3M pixels
Video Record: 640x480 30FPS
Battery: Built in 2300mAH
Ports: USB,mini USB, HDMI,3.5mm audio,Micro SD slot
NO BLUETOOTH

So this 7-inch tablet is cheap as hell.

Should I give it a go?

Edit:

2012041216021227.gif

Specs

CPU: Cortex A8 [dual core processor up to 1.5GHz]
Display: 7" 800x480 TFT
Capacitive Multi-Touch
16:9
System Storage: 4GB
Memory: DDR3 512 MB
G-sensor: 3 Axis
Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n
support 3G USB dongle
Video formats 1080p
GPU 3D Engine: Mali-400
Camera: 1.3M pixels
Video Record: 640x480 30FPS
Battery: Built in 2300mAH
Ports: USB,mini USB, HDMI,3.5mm audio,Micro SD slot
NO BLUETOOTH

From their X2 page:

MKbWR.png

Yeah... I'd look elsewhere for a tablet.

ShinNL

Does the US have the Archos Arnova series? If yes, wait a bit if you want a cheap tablet. The G3 series seems to be coming soon, it has ICS and there are capacitive screen versions.

I'm actually a big fan of cheap budget tablets, simply because everyone I know uses tablets mostly for reading. If you're anything like that, it would be crazy to pay something near 500 (euro or dollars) for just a reading machine. However, I really don't recommend getting a tablet that doesn't run at least on Honeycomb (3.x). Android 2.x is complete crap for tablets. If the screen is good (viewing angles, reasonable resolution), the touch screen reacts swiftly (capacitive), chip being good enough to make screen transitions smooth, have good battery life and you assume you don't really play movies and games (my Folio 100 has been hacked to oblivion to be able to do it now, but I still don't do it since it's just my manga reading machine), then a budget tablet isn't so bad. My Folio 100 has a 1024x600 resolution, has never been a problem for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom