• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
It's almost the end of May and I want to punch AT&T in the face for the lack of Ice Cream Sandwiches on my Skyrocket. :/

Talon

Prepaid market is what WP needs to chase if they want a chance, cause it's getting absolutely dominated by Android.
I don't think we can say anything with authority about the prepaid market. I see folks on trains - kids, really - jugglin 4-5 cricket phones. According to my girlfriend who works at an ER in a high needs neighborhood, it's a status symbol thing to own multiple phones. It's a strange beast.

Anyways, it's not hard to see why Android would own the prepaid market. It's the only smartphone OS available on dirt cheap phones.

I doubt that's exactly where Microsoft wants WP to make its bones. Profitability (i.e. success in the postpaid markets) > gross sales in the prepaid.

Circle T

It's almost the end of May and I want to punch AT&T in the face for the lack of Ice Cream Sandwiches on my Skyrocket. :/

You and me both. I was hoping to replace my work Skyrocket with a One X, but given the recent news, that obviously isn't happening. I've been pretty happy with the Skyrocket, though, and would really like an update.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
so i rooted the tf3 2 days ago and installed the root keeper app. Updated the firmware this morning and the root keeper app got root back.. but now the graphics on here are unstable. Like the on screen buttons keep jumping around. I tried to screen shot it and it looks normal in picture form -_-
aufEF.jpg

So it looks like the fragmentation argument is raising its ugly head again. In the last 2 weeks there have been articles on tech crunch and Gizmodo (lol) basically spouting the same old bullshit.

The Gizmodo article was around the graph showing 4000 different devices running Android. This apparently is one of the new definitions of fragmentation, so Windows must be screwed right? I mean people write articles all the time about how badly fragmented Windows is don't they? Oh they don't? And all these versions too... XP, Vista, Vista home, Vista Basic, Windows 7.....

Programming for Android is like building a website.
You have to consider what your site will look like on different screens but as long as you follow the design guidelines and use the standard API's you'll be fine. If you want to reach the majority of devices you simply need to target 2.2 upwards. Heck even 2.3 upwards.

It's amazing that this fud is still being perpetuated. The only issue with Android is oem's and carriers being slow to update, but that doesn't mean that developers are somehow screwed....

It would seem that the new stick used to beat Android with is that it is available on too many devices because it's too popular with OEMs. Ridiculous.

on Windows, how many companies skin the start menu or modify the task manager to function completely different from stock or change taskbar icons like the wifi or volume icon? how many companies add their own block of UNINSTALLABLE apps to Windows?

it's not an even comparison, it's not even a close comparison.

Anybody planning on getting the international version of the Galaxy S3? suppose to come out at the 29th...

I really wants to get it, but after getting the One X with LTE, I want to stay with an LTE phone....40mbps is awesome!!

is it certain that the LTE variant will use the S4 krait??

Toki767

Anybody planning on getting the international version of the Galaxy S3? suppose to come out at the 29th...

I really wants to get it, but after getting the One X with LTE, I want to stay with an LTE phone....40mbps is awesome!!

It's pretty much a given. T-Mobile might not because they don't have LTE set up and AT&T might not because I can see them insisting on the Exynos and just adding in a separate LTE modem.

That's probably more just wishful thinking though. The S4 is all but guaranteed for all the US carriers.

the GS3 in Japan (LTE) uses Krait

cut the check to Qualcomm

edit: damn, beaten~!
"HTC is aware of some questions in the enthusiast community about how the HTC One X handles multitasking and memory management for background apps. We value the community's input and are always looking for ways to enhance customers' experience with our devices. That said, right now multitasking is operating normally according to our custom memory management specifications which balance core ICS features with a consistent HTC Sense experience."
so, what's up with the HTC One X's memory management guys? guys? GUYS???

Crisco

Banned
It honestly didn't bother me, until ESPN Radio basically just stopped working while driving to work this morning. I wasn't doing anything else on the phone, just listening to ESPN Radio, when the sound cutoff. I had just let the screen shut off with the app open, so when I unlocked it I was greeted to the ESPN Radio loading screen. Total fail.

And saying this is "working as intended" is completely wrong. It's broken, plain and simple. I can't believe how badly the reviewers failed on this one. Despite everything else I love about the phone, I'll probably end up returning it within my 30 day window if this isn't fixed. I can wait for one of those Sony phones (the SX looks awesome).

the GS3 in Japan (LTE) uses Krait

cut the check to Qualcomm

I wonder if ATT will handle their variant like they did with the GS2.

GS3 with no home button with exynos

then

GS3 Skyrocket with the S4

I'm just afraid that ATT will bring out only the 16gig version...I want the 64gig.

? Its not out yet?

I think it was the people who had the chance to play with it, they were saying the multitasking behaved the same way as the one X.

kehs

Banned
not sure..people from XDA are saying it...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=26170128&postcount=458

there also various people saying it also and reviews confirming it...

Oh, well then.

Sidenote this is from a few posts down in that thread, a response from HTC:

A few things to keep in mind when using the multitasking feature is that some applications are, by nature, designed to reload when you enter back into the application.

Jesus Christ HTC.

kehs

Banned
I don't think we can say anything with authority about the prepaid market. I see folks on trains - kids, really - jugglin 4-5 cricket phones. According to my girlfriend who works at an ER in a high needs neighborhood, it's a status symbol thing to own multiple phones. It's a strange beast.

Anyways, it's not hard to see why Android would own the prepaid market. It's the only smartphone OS available on dirt cheap phones.

I doubt that's exactly where Microsoft wants WP to make its bones. Profitability (i.e. success in the postpaid markets) > gross sales in the prepaid.

The prepaid market shifts the profits over to the hardware manufactures since it revolves around people buying phones outright and directly instead of "subsidized" that are basically just bigger profit makers for the carriers.

It's something I'd like to boon even more since it will also help with the separation of service/hardware that has given carriers too much control and power.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Depends, are we talking about Docomo's version with 2GB of memory?
Hmmm, something tells me that a 2GB international model will be announced. Maybe this year. This would resolve my only major complaint about the GSIII: still using 1GB of RAM.

Blackhead

Redarse
No it doesn't play when the screen is off, but it continue were you left of when you turn it on again.

heh, I knew that! Well thanks for corroborating anyway, just so I could be sure there wasn't anything wrong with my tab.

So... is there a way to keep it playing? Any workarounds available?

Husker86

Hmmm, something tells me that a 2GB international model will be announced. Maybe this year. This would resolve my only major complaint about the GSIII: still using 1GB of RAM.

or maybe the US LTE variant will have 2GB of ram....but I'm afraid it will only be available with 16gig internal....

on Windows, how many companies skin the start menu or modify the task manager to function completely different from stock or change taskbar icons like the wifi or volume icon? how many companies add their own block of UNINSTALLABLE apps to Windows?

it's not an even comparison, it's not even a close comparison.

Did you read my post thoroughly? I was talking about Android fragmentation (which seemingly now means being available on 1000's of devices - not just OS version) is not a major problem for DEVELOPERS. First of all because being on 1000's of different devices of different shapes and sizes is not fragmentation it's device diversity. Skins have no impact on developers. Touchwiz, Sense, whatever. You don't need to program your app to take into account the skin, apps that follow the new design guidelines such as Gmail will look good on any device. How the wi-fi icon, task manager or volume icon look is of no real consequence to a developer either. If a developer wants to be on 90% + of Android devices they simply need to target 2.2 and up. The same way If I'm a windows developer I might want to program my app to work on XP and up to reach 90% + of the market - But developers don't complain that they have to write for XP, Vista and Windows 7 (and soon Windows 8) and the majority of customers don't upgrade their windows version from the one they originally got with their computer. There have been a couple of articles deliberately written to mislead people into thinking that Android is very difficult to program for due to the thousands of devices available, different form factors, cpu's & gpu's and it is fud. Total fud designed to garner hits and confirm pre existing bias. You write your app using the guidelines to accommodate different screen sizes, follow the api's for the versions of Android you want to target and you'll be fine. Uninstallable apps have nothing to do with developer issues, you are talking about the end customer which is not something I was even referring to. Yes, it would be nice to have every android phone on the same version , but that doesn't necessarily hurt developers it just means that they have to make a decision about which versions of android they want to support. Don't want to support XP? No one is making you. Don't want to support Vista? similar.

Now if you want to talk about the end user that is a different story. But lets be clear. You and I are not in the majority. We are the minority. It is my job to manage a team who sell mobile phones for a living. Do you know how many customers have ever complained to me about not getting the latest version of Android? None. Do you know how many customers have complained that there are apps on their phone that can't be uninstalled? <1% Do you know how many customers even ask me what version of Android runs on their phone at the point of purchase? <1%. For those of us who are tech enthusiasts and live in threads like these, The Verge, and Android blogs, this stuff is all super important. But for the overwhelming majority? it's not the case. It's not that I'm defending it, or saying it's excusable but when you spend your time on tech blogs you tend to think of these issues as being massive and when you get out in the real world and engage with normal people, (the vast majority of whom have never heard of Engadget or Gizmodo) you quickly find out they don't know their Honeycomb from their Gingerbread, or even their Ice Cream Sandwich! They might have heard of it vaguely but have no idea what it means. They don't expect updates. Frankly, most of them don't even know how to update! And this is the majority, it is we who are the minority, but we can't see it because we live in this stuff. Believe me I am one of those who would get pissed off If I didn't have the latest version of Android, which is why I only get Nexus devices (sorry Verizon owners). If you are an Android buff and getting the latest version is important to you, you will know to buy a Nexus anyway, unless of course you can't afford one.

Anyway, end of.

Ashhong

or maybe the US LTE variant will have 2GB of ram....but I'm afraid it will only be available with 16gig internal....

micro sd slot..why would you want to pay 100$ for an upgrade in internal memory when you can pay literally 10$ for a SanDisk 16gb card now

edit: dayam, what a post! ^

micro sd slot..why would you want to pay 100$ for an upgrade in internal memory when you can pay literally 10$ for a SanDisk 16gb card now

edit: dayam, what a post! ^

resale value HAHAH....then I can sell the GS3 to get the next Nexus....the cycle continues...

I've learn from he pass that the higher memory model seem to have a higher rate of buyers/resale value....same way how a white phone tend to me more popular...

Husker86

resale value HAHAH....then I can sell the GS3 to get the next Nexus....the cycle continues...

I've learn from he pass that the higher memory model seem to have a higher rate of buyers/resale value....same way how a white phone tend to me more popular...

I used to think the same, but (example) 32GB iPhones did not sell for more than $100 over the 16GB ones when I was checking things out. They sell for higher because they cost more in the first place, but they don't carry an extra premium.

I used to think the same, but (example) 32GB iPhones did not sell for more than $100 over the 16GB ones when I was checking things out. They sell for higher because they cost more in the first place, but they don't carry an extra premium.

Its all relative.....Im from the cali bay area, there's a lot of tech junkies here with money to burn, just need to find the right buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom