• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Looks like Sprint has officially delayed the Evo LTE launch. Sucks since it was suppose to be released 48 hours from now.

Google Music users granted de-authentication reprieve as company retools activation system Engadget via Google

Google Music users learned of a frightful new policy this morning that dictates a user may de-authorize only four devices in a year, out of ten total activations. While the policy is likely to go unnoticed by the majority of consumers, it instantly created a great pain for those who regularly flash ROMs to their phones and tablets. It seems the road to de-authorization hell is paved with good intentions, however, as Google has since responded to critics with the revelation that it'll introduce an activation system that accounts for such nuances.

We've learned through our conversations with the company that users may, in fact, sign in to their Google Music account from any number of devices, and it's only when a tune is deliberately streamed that your smartphone or tablet will be added to the list of ten. What's more, we've determined through our own experimentation that Google has temporarily suspended the de-authorization limit of four devices, and while it's difficult to know how long this reprieve will last, we're hopeful that it'll remain in effect until Google implements this new system to recognize duplicate authorizations.

What's more, while the company was rather insistent that songs couldn't be streamed to multiple devices at the same time, it seems that Google's system of checks and balances is spotty at best -- we were able to simultaneously stream tunes to three devices without so much as a hiccup. Yes, the system eventually shook its finger at us, but it serves as a nice reminder to have fun while the insanity lasts.

Ashhong

resale value HAHAH....then I can sell the GS3 to get the next Nexus....the cycle continues...

I've learn from he pass that the higher memory model seem to have a higher rate of buyers/resale value....same way how a white phone tend to me more popular...

Really? I haven't noticed that. Usually for me the resale value percentage of the original purchase price stays the same no matter the memory. Just say you'll throw in the SD card too

Looks like Sprint has officially delayed the Evo LTE launch. Sucks since it was suppose to be released 48 hours from now.

How long has this actually been going on. I was curious as to why there was such a big pile of secrecy over the official release date in the first place...

Wasn't it just recently? I thought it got delayed because of the US Customs stop the other day.

You are right, but before all of this happened, no one knew when the official release date was. Up to the day before all of this happened, the official Sprint site still said they weren't sure on the final details of release, but it would ship to those who preordered the first chance they got. Everyone thought it was the 18th, but it was never "officially" announced from what I gather.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
You are right, but before all of this happened, no one knew when the official release date was. Up to the day before all of this happened, the official Sprint site still said they weren't sure on the final details of release, but it would ship to those who preordered the first chance they got. Everyone thought it was the 18th, but it was never "officially" announced from what I gather.

It was announced yesterday before all this happened. Sprint put out a press release saying stores would open at 8am Friday.

The secrecy about the release date before then, I think in part, was related to having enough stock for the demand. With the Palm Pre and Evo, they announced a release date a month ahead of time. Of course they didn't have enough stock for the demand and people looking to get these phones were turned away. Dumbass people like myself camped at Sprint Stores just to make sure we could get one.

Sprint has some Evo LTE phones now and could have released it last week but I'm guessing the 2nd shipment that got held at customs was to make sure they had enough just in case the demand was high.

This is going to be an interesting story to watch since Sprint has the iPhone now .Sprint just says go to HTC for answers about this mess. If they weren't in bed with Apple, I'm sure Sprint would be doing an all out anti-Apple attack like they did 5 years ago.

It was announced yesterday before all this happened. Sprint put out a press release saying stores would open at 8am Friday.

The secrecy about the release date before then, I think in part, was related to having enough stock for the demand. With the Palm Pre and Evo, they announced a release date a month ahead of time. Of course they didn't have enough stock for the demand and people looking to get these phones were turned away. Dumbass people like myself camped at Sprint Stores just to make sure we could get one.

Sprint has some Evo LTE phones now and could have released it last week but I'm guessing the 2nd shipment that got held at customs was to make sure they had enough just in case the demand was high.

This is going to be an interesting story to watch since Sprint has the iPhone now .Sprint just says go to HTC for answers about this mess. If they weren't in bed with Apple, I'm sure Sprint would be doing an all out anti-Apple attack like they did 5 years ago.

Ah...then Apple really did have their hand hovering over the button didn't they? Really hope they get what's coming to them, but it's hard to blame them for taking advantage of a patent system basically asking for it.

gcubed

Why not, phones are more expensive in Japan. American models always get the lower spec version due to bigger market size.

thats a relatively large change in the manufacturing process for just one provider worth of phones. I dont see how it would offset without pushing it to more

kehs

Banned
thats a relatively large change in the manufacturing process for just one provider worth of phones. I dont see how it would offset without pushing it to more

They probably switched off the extra gig in cost to have their logo printed on the front.

Which, clearly is more important.

p.s. I've decided to wait for padfone2, I don't want to get transformer primed again.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Slashgear has a hands on with the Huawei Ascend P1: http://www.slashgear.com/huawei-ascend-p1-unboxing-and-first-impressions-16228656/

P1090493-580x435.jpg

imo, it's seems like an interesting device. plus, it's pentaband

Good use of space on the bottom for the buttons. None of that unused space (logo) and then on screen buttons non-senese.

People honestly think on screen buttons are a bad thing? I love them on my GNex. If you are prepared to root you can get roms which customise the icons, the colours, the order of the buttons and which buttons you want. With the screen off the front of the phone looks incredibly clean.

kehs

Banned
People honestly think on screen buttons are a bad thing? I love them on my GNex. If you are prepared to root you can get roms which customise the icons, the colours, the order of the buttons and which buttons you want. With the screen off the front of the phone looks incredibly clean.

I think people forgot the Nexus has an awesome notification LED on the bottom.

tino

Banned

It's a lot easier to mispress a capacity button than a real button.

OTOH, real buttons don't last. I have stopped using the power button on my HD2 after the stories I have heard. I use the volume button to wake it up.

OTOH, real buttons don't last. I have stopped using the power button on my HD2 after the stories I have heard. I use the volume button to wake it up.

Yeah but is anyone using non capacitive keys anyway? Apart from the home button on Sammy phones anyway. I don't ever have issues pressing the keys, even during gaming.

And yeah Cop is right, the notification led is boss.

gcubed

people who knock on screen buttons over capacitive buttons are just inexperienced. They will learn from their mistakes.

Dude, it is a premium phone. It was the thinnest smartphone when it was announced. I don't know if it still is.

its now officially a last gen chipset phone. Its even last gen in its own lineup. Thinness alone doesn't make it premium.

tino

Banned
people who knock on screen buttons over capacitive buttons are just inexperienced. They will learn from their mistakes.

its now officially a last gen chipset phone. Its even last gen in its own lineup. Thinness alone doesn't make it premium.

Its still not a budget phone I don't care what your premium definition is.

kehs

Banned
$74 portable computer. Android/Linux/etc.

ea687cbe6b22cba6b63b77472f9c876d.jpeg

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012...mputer-is-slightly-larger-than-a-thumb-drive/

The small computer has an AllWinner A10 single-core 1.5GHz ARM CPU, a Mali 400 GPU, and 512MB of RAM. An HDMI port on the exterior allows users to plug the computer into a television. It outputs at 1080p and is said to be capable of playing high-definition video.

The device also has a full-sized USB port with host support for input devices, a conventional micro-USB port, a microSD slot, and an internal 802.11 b/g WiFi antenna. The computer can boot from a microSD card and is capable of running Android 4.0 and other ARM-compatible Linux platforms.

dat future.

Ashhong

Yea, the HD2 has a very faulty power button. Mine and my friend's have gone out. Not cool HTC.

WOW at that Android stick. WHAT THE FUCK!

nothing you just typed was compelling enough to forfeit valuable pixels

But if the on screen buttons arent there, isnt the screen usually bigger?

wait, what I meant was, dont they make the screen bigger to accommodate for the buttons? So you aren't really forfeiting space..?

ICS makes it that the on screen buttons are always there, unless you are watching a full screen video.

The annoying thing is the inconsistently of the menu buttons on certain apps now....its all over the place.

Also, alot of people are having image retention(burn-ins..err reverse burn-in) on the space where the onscreen button are..

But if the on screen buttons arent there, isnt the screen usually bigger?

wait, what I meant was, dont they make the screen bigger to accommodate for the buttons? So you aren't really forfeiting space..?

Would you rather be able to use all of your big screen or turn it into a not so big screen with on screen buttons?

My biggest gripe is that on some phones, the removal of capacitive buttons doesn't make the phone smaller. It still has the bottom bezel which is useless. I rather have a smaller phone with a 4.3 inch screen then a larger phone with a 4.65 inch screen but effectively becomes a 4.3 inch screen with the on screen buttons.

Ashhong

Huh, could have sworn they added extra pixels for the screen to account for the software buttons. Carry on then.

Dude, your software button area is ugly as sin!You need to clean that up. If you want more screen real estate change the DPI or something..

kinggroin

Banned
Here's a screenshot comparison of the real estate space from both my Gnex vs One X
I toggle off the notification bar via Nova launcher.

6617341677_5bd7061626.jpg
7218572678_26131245f3.jpg

Er...you can have the gnex give you just as much real estate with the same functionality, and still come out ahead since you don't need capacitive buttons.

I'd take a screenshot of mine to show you, but I'm on an iPad atm.

Huh, could have sworn they added extra pixels for the screen to account for the software buttons. Carry on then.

Dude, your software button area is ugly as sin!You need to clean that up. If you want more screen real estate change the DPI or something..

HAHAH...yeah thats stock ICS software button...there always there.

my example sucks cause the wallpaper wasn't 16:9

Er...you can have the gnex give you just as much real estate with the same functionality, and still come out ahead since you don't need capacitive buttons.

I'd take a screenshot of mine to show you, but I'm on an iPad atm.

AOKP rom has a way to toggle off the onscreen software button, but its a hassle to do an extra step to go home, and sometimes the apps get confuse.

I also tried the full screen mod, but i didn't like a usability.

kehs

Banned
Those people with hardware buttons are gonna feel all kinds of jelly when the functions are replaced with gestures.

(assume they get anymore updates that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom