• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those people with hardware buttons are gonna feel all kinds of jelly when the functions are replaced with gestures.

(assume they get anymore updates that is)

Hopefully by the time jelly bean is out and there are indeed gestures, there will be some nice phones with no buttons and full screen face/minimal bezel.

The GNex doesn't look too bad but the bottom bezel could have been smaller. That Pad phone and Sony phone look nasty with the logo on the bottom. By the time you get to the launcher section, you already used 1/3 of the phone length.

They wont if they are designed to operate in the area where the screen keys are. The bottom of the screen is occupied on every Android phone I have seen.

? Don't understand what this means. A phone with buttons can still free up the bottom of the screen for whatever it needs It's all software.

kehs

Banned
? Don't understand what this means. A phone with buttons can still free up the bottom of the screen for whatever it needs It's all software.

We're talking about hypothetical gestures that would replace the functions of those buttons.

If you have those buttons you wouldn't need to have gestures cause the buttons don't go away.

/android fanfic

Padfone, a Panasonic one, and one from Sony I think.

So none then huh

Seriously thinking about returning this one x...hardware design and screen quality are crazy good but sense is starting to drive me nuts... I am learning to hate it with the burning rage of 1000 flaming rhinos

I just realized I have spent the past two weeks trying to turn all the sense apps into stock ones.

Add that in with a locked bootloader and no micro SD plus small enclosed battery

GS3 adds those in (with a thinner frame mind you) and is sure to be unlockable (at least I hope)...which means I might be able to get my hands on some aosp roms pretty quickly.

What should I do GAF?? I need help!!...might wait until the 3rd or 4th of June...need some news on the US GS3s.

Ashhong

HAHAH...yeah thats stock ICS software button...there always there.

my example sucks cause the wallpaper wasn't 16:9

AOKP rom has a way to toggle off the onscreen software button, but its a hassle to do an extra step to go home, and sometimes the apps get confuse.

I also tried the full screen mod, but i didn't like a usability.

No man...I'm talking about the icons that you are using as the shortcuts along with the ICS software buttons on the One X. Like the call button and stuff...ugly! you just need a better icon pack

So none then huh

Seriously thinking about returning this one x...hardware design and screen quality are crazy good but sense is starting to drive me nuts... I am learning to hate it with the burning rage of 1000 flaming rhinos

I just realized I have spent the past two weeks trying to turn all the sense apps into stock ones.

Add that in with a locked bootloader and no micro SD plus small enclosed battery

GS3 adds those in (with a thinner frame mind you) and is sure to be unlockable (at least I hope)...which means I might be able to get my hands on some aosp roms pretty quickly.

What should I do GAF?? I need help!!...might wait until the 3rd or 4th of June...need some news on the US GS3s.

I'm with you..sense on the one x is annoying. I want to get the unlock gs3 but I kinda want to see how the us version will be....I really like the LTE.

Either way the one x will be gone.

No man...I'm talking about the icons that you are using as the shortcuts along with the ICS software buttons on the One X. Like the call button and stuff...ugly! you just need a better icon pack

Not much customization yet because of the locked bootloader. Might not even bother because im getting rid of it

Ashhong

I'm with you..sense on the one x is annoying. I want to get the unlock gs3 but I kinda want to see how the us version will be....I really like the LTE.

Either way the one x will be gone.

Not much customization yet because of the locked bootloader. Might not even bother because im getting rid of it

Man you are fickle lol. I remember your posts when you first got it. You were so happy and excited.

Man you are fickle lol. I remember your posts when you first got it. You were so happy and excited.

Oh but I still like its awesome!!...I like it better than the gnex because I actually get reception. But like i said on my earlier post, its only tempory till I get the gs3.

Pctx

Banned
Why the hell don't you guys with the One X not use Nova launcher? I'm switching to that as soon as my Skyrocket gets ICS. I've got it on my TF101 and its godly!

Why the hell don't you guys with the One X not use Nova launcher? I'm switching to that as soon as my Skyrocket gets ICS. I've got it on my TF101 and its godly!

Would but that still doesn't fix the mms and email and dialer that I just want to be stock ICS...not sure if I want to wait for an unlock...

Edit: plus I'm a sucker for the sense super clock widget...if only beautiful Widgets could get an exact copy...especially of the new one...oh well...look forward to trying new things.

Trying to wait until there is a release date for the gs3 but I have to return by June 4th or 5th...hopefully there is news by then...not sure if I can go back to my non-lte atrix for too long....love this speed.

I don't even think lte is officially on in so Cal yet...which is why I may not be getting the lte signal at certain times of the day in the same spot and position...hspa+ speeds are better on this than the atrix though...which is no better than regular old 3g

But it would be my first galaxy since the cappy

I've been using Nova and apex since I got the one x
.sense 4.0 is laggy. After debranding all the att garbage the unit run much better.

Why use Nova launcher over Apex Launcher?

Nova seems snappier ...it has the "faster than light" animation option.

I wonder if the GS3 will support 64GB microSD just like the GS2 did...

If I recall correctly you just had to reformat to fat32 or whatever....can't remember the exact name...

That would be just under 128GB max storage for the 64gb variant....sweet...then add wolfson dac back in...and my sennheisers and we are go for takeoff

jokkir

Only having 16GB on my Nexus S is really annoying me now. This thing gets full way too fast and too often.

On a side note, I'm putting my rooted phone to good use and finally using a custom ROM. Hopefully it's better than stock.

How are you guys finding CM9? If this ROM is bad, I might switch over to that

Ashhong

If I recall correctly you just had to reformat to fat32 or whatever....can't remember the exact name...

That would be just under 128GB max storage for the 64gb variant....sweet...then add wolfson dac back in...and my sennheisers and we are go for takeoff

Yes, the GS3 supports microSD up to 64gb.

Only having 16GB on my Nexus S is really annoying me now. This thing gets full way too fast and too often.

On a side note, I'm putting my rooted phone to good use and finally using a custom ROM. Hopefully it's better than stock.

How are you guys finding CM9? If this ROM is bad, I might switch over to that

CM9 is awesome on all phones. Works pretty well on the Nexus S. What are you using now?

We're talking about hypothetical gestures that would replace the functions of those buttons.

If you have those buttons you wouldn't need to have gestures cause the buttons don't go away.

/android fanfic
better to have and not need than need and not have.

So none then huh

unlockable? when does samsung even lock their bootloaders?

i know someone is gonna mention the flash counter... yeah, totally the same you warranty breakers

changing the launcher doesn't do anything about all the other things that HTC has messed with. it's just treating a symptom, not a cure.

Would but that still doesn't fix the mms and email and dialer that I just want to be stock ICS...not sure if I want to wait for an unlock...

Edit: plus I'm a sucker for the sense super clock widget...if only beautiful Widgets could get an exact copy...especially of the new one...oh well...look forward to trying new things.

Trying to wait until there is a release date for the gs3 but I have to return by June 4th or 5th...hopefully there is news by then...not sure if I can go back to my non-lte atrix for too long....love this speed.

I don't even think lte is officially on in so Cal yet...which is why I may not be getting the lte signal at certain times of the day in the same spot and position...hspa+ speeds are better on this than the atrix though...which is no better than regular old 3g

But it would be my first galaxy since the cappy

i dunno why people like the sense clock widget so much... but try searching for 'sense flip clock'

GS3 supports exFAT, so you don't even have to format to FAT32

tino

Banned
Sony partnering with case makers to bring more to Xperia customers

In my book, Sony seem to keep hitting home runs with Android. Doing the little things that matter.

If the rumour of multiple manufacturers selling Nexus devices come end of year I will probably ditch my Galaxy Nexus for whatever Sony bring to the table

You know how you make your phone 3rd party friendly? Making the back cover one big piece that can be replaced, Samsung has been doing it since Galaxy Note.

Doopliss

Those people with hardware buttons are gonna feel all kinds of jelly when the functions are replaced with gestures.

(assume they get anymore updates that is)

I am cool with gestures, but I don't think gestures are cool with Android. They would have to be single touch only to work on phones, which basically limits them to swipes coming from the edges of the screen. The top edge isn't available, left and right wouldn't gel with the current design conventions of swiping between tabbed pages and swiping away list items. The bottom edge is available, and while they could squeeze three gestures from it (straight up, up then left, up then right) it wouldn't be very intuitive.

JordanKZ

I'll agree with some of the points made about Sense 4.0 over the last couple of pages of this thread. It's a complicated mess at times. The way HTC put different things in different places is just completely maddening.

I learnt this after my gf's new One X turned up and it made me love stock Android on my GNex (running AOKP) even more than I do already. Still, it's a shame that stock Android doesn't have the camera app the One X has... Man it's amazing.

kinggroin

Banned
HAHAH...yeah thats stock ICS software button...there always there.

my example sucks cause the wallpaper wasn't 16:9

AOKP rom has a way to toggle off the onscreen software button, but its a hassle to do an extra step to go home, and sometimes the apps get confuse.

I also tried the full screen mod, but i didn't like a usability.

Latest aokp let's you add whatever shortcuts you want (up to 5) in the nav bar. Each shortcut and nav button can have a secondary long press action. This allows you to completely turn the dock bar off for that extra screen real estate.

jokkir

Ah, as long as you're using an ASOP rom I'm sure you'll be happy. Judging by the features on that one, it has most of CM9 features too.

How's the speed of CM9 though? I used it before but it was very slow compared to stock and that's one reason I stuck with stock.

Futureman

anyone getting their Google Voice texts on their phones like 45 min late?

Never had this issue before in two years of use. I get a text through the browser on my Mac, and then like 45min later my phone will vibrate with the same text.

Never had this issue before in two years of use. I get a text through the browser on my Mac, and then like 45min later my phone will vibrate with the same text.

This happened to me quite often since I first started using it in early 2010. Sometimes I would get the text 5 hours later. I bailed on Google voice for texts because it was too unreliable.

Looks like Sony have sent out official pricing for the X-P and X-U, Amazon and Play both dropped the P from £379.99 to £339.99, I expect further price reductions by around the end of June. My guess is that the P will be available for under £300 by July and the U for under £180.

The P looks mighty tempting to me, if Sony price it for under £300 I think it could easily become the mid-range best-seller. They need to back the S/P/U/GX/SX with blanket coverage though and they need to increase phone store kickbacks, Samsung are successful because the commissions are so high and stores push them, Sony need to start that now and really push their phones harder if they want to become the market leader for Android.

tino

Banned
Have you guys tried set forward text to both email and the google voice app? I do that instead of forwarding to my phone. I get both pretty much instantly. Email is a few seconds behind app notification.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

It happens to me very rarely and it's usually an hour late.

Latest aokp let's you add whatever shortcuts you want (up to 5) in the nav bar. Each shortcut and nav button can have a secondary long press action. This allows you to completely turn the dock bar off for that extra screen real estate.

but the on screen software button will still show up on certain apps thats not ICS optimize...like browsers and games and such.

like the menu button is not implemented on the app, so the software button needs to be there all the time. Not really the Gnex fault but more of how ICS works.

Has anyone ever had any problems returning to at&t? There are some very very light scratches on the back of my one x.

Also...will they check for the ***tampered*** flag at the boot menu screen?

Blackhead

Redarse
The fight for Best Galaxy title continues

Galaxy Note for $459!

just bought one for $550+ :|

I'm not happy with what Samsung is doing with the hardware menu button in ICS. It removes the software 'actions overflow' button in the apps. WTF?! I can understand keeping the hardware setting for legacy apps that still need the menu button but that doesn't mean they should mess with the holo apps. I'd almost prefer HTC's weird permanent software menu button :/ Are there any roms to provide other options?

Palm rejection is noticeably better in the new SNote app. Still I prefer to use a rotation app that gives an upside-down orientation. The app is a bit cumbersome but the writing experience is perfect..

Edit: Ultimate Rotation Control is the best rotation control app.

Ashhong

How's the speed of CM9 though? I used it before but it was very slow compared to stock and that's one reason I stuck with stock.

CM9 is smooth on every device I've used..including my gf's Nexus S. Results may vary I guess. Just make a CWM backup and test it out for a few days. God I love nandroid backups. Greatest thing EVER.

Has anyone ever had any problems returning to at&t? There are some very very light scratches on the back of my one x.

Also...will they check for the ***tampered*** flag at the boot menu screen?

AT&T are pretty relaxed. I sent back like 2 Galaxy S2s because they weren't perfect. Can't comment on the flag though. I had rooted my S2s but always made sure to turn it back 100% to stock. They did usually send my new phone BEFORE I sent the old one though, so probably won't be a problem.

kehs

Banned
I'm not happy with what Samsung is doing with the hardware menu button in ICS. It removes the software 'actions overflow' button in the apps. WTF?! I can understand keeping the hardware setting for legacy apps that still need the menu button but that doesn't mean they should mess with the holo apps. I'd almost prefer HTC's weird permanent software menu button :/ Are there any roms to provide other options?

It's an either or situation officially since it's part of the action bar API, which exemplifies how stupid it is to have it on the hardware side for the SIII.

I believe custom roms can override it and have it function both ways simultenously.

AT&T are pretty relaxed. I sent back like 2 Galaxy S2s because they weren't perfect. Can't comment on the flag though. I had rooted my S2s but always made sure to turn it back 100% to stock. They did usually send my new phone BEFORE I sent the old one though, so probably won't be a problem.

But if I return at the store will they still be relaxed? Couldnt really find any horror stories in a Google search but I didn't really try that hard.

Trying to take this thing back but I should probably just flash the stock ruu first. I think I'm more worried about the very minor scratches on the back.

In other words I don't want them to be looking for a reason not to let me return...hopefully that won't be the case and I'll be on my way to a blue gs3...

it will be funny if the next nexus(s) goes back to having physical buttons or capacitive.

Even the soon to be best selling android phone skipped having no physical buttons.

Certain thing just doesn't catch on ex. look at the trackball on nexus one....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom