• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's an either or situation officially since it's part of the action bar API, which exemplifies how stupid it is to have it on the hardware side for the SIII.

I believe custom roms can override it and have it function both ways simultenously.
Oh I see. I'll look around and mention here if I find any. Thankfully Mobile Odin makes installing roms so easy.
Which carriers does this phone work for in Germany?

All of them?

Ashhong

The on screen buttons would be fine for me if they just made it customizable. As in, allow a user to always have Home, Back, Menu, Multitask, Search available. Or hold Home to Multitask. Is it hard from a programming standpoint to allow this???

jokkir

So far this rom has been phenomenal. The only thing missing from it is numbers instead of the battery icon on the status bar and it's perfect. For those with a Nexus S, try out the Neapolitan ROM if you want a stock experience that has some added functionalities like notification bar toggles and whatnot.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
so, you're switching to Best Galaxy?
Well, it's either this or the GSM Nexus. If the Note had on screen buttons and the ROM support was to my satisfaction (How is the ROM support?), no contest, I'm getting it. But it's mostly the on screen buttons holding me back. That's so... Antiquated.

I am really loving the idea of the Note lately.

You lucky soon to be Euro bastard...phones work on anything!
Awesome.

Whats so great about the One X camera app? (serious question). The Camera app on the GN is great. Has everything I need

better pictures especially low light.
real zero shutter speed, the galaxy nexus is fake because its not focused.
burst mode is really awesome and actually works well.
take picture while recording videos, actually works well too.
um yeah...it is just better.

DarkFlow

Banned
Anyone with 4.0 using the chrome beta browser in the play store? I must say it totally blows the stock browser out the window on my galaxy nexus. It's just so smooth and I like the way it handles multiple windows. Now if it only had flash support I would never go back to stock.

jokkir

Anyone with 4.0 using the chrome beta browser in the play store? I must say it totally blows the stock browser out the window on my galaxy nexus. It's just so smooth and I like the way it handles multiple windows. Now if it only had flash support I would never go back to stock.

Way too slow on my Nexus S compared to the stock browser. I also hate no quick bar and removing the omni bar as well.

Speaking of Chrome, any idea when it'll be out of beta?

Ashhong

I used to..but then all of a sudden it started sucking ass. It freezes all the time, especially when on Google.com ironically.

While effects are often a bit of a waste, worth noting I really like the HDR mode too. It's helped me take a few good shots that'd just get silohetted out thanks to the sun. Don't know how that compares to the GNexus/stock, but hey.

It's a really good app. It's just a real, all round good package on it, doing everything you want it to.

Doopliss

See, why cant that be in stock Android? Wtf.

From what I've seen there is a delay in the GN function. Much better in One X and GS3.
Because Google doesn't want to add a bunch of settings that most people don't need, and which make it harder to find the important stuff.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How is the ROM support for the Note? Stock ICS, on screen buttons?

Doopliss

Ooh, is there a CM9 for the Galaxy Note yet? How would that work on it?

Is there a timeline for when CM9 will be out of beta?
I think nightlies for the international Note just started recently. But that patch wouldn't do anything on it because it has hardware buttons.

Blackhead

Redarse
How is the ROM support for the Note? Stock ICS, on screen buttons?
I haven't seen completely stock ICS but there are ROMs with on screen buttons (both tablet and phone mode). I went with TheMidTeam simply because it was at the first thread I saw in the XDA forum and the screenshot showed the ICS menubar icons. There are so many ROMs though all in different states of development and it's all so confusing. It's a hassle going through the wiping and reinstalling process but most of the posters on XDA don't seem to mind.

I think nightlies for the international Note just started recently. But that patch wouldn't do anything on it because it has hardware buttons.
Nice to hear. I've been checking on the device page and started to believe it was never getting CM9. At this rate the Galaxy Note 2 will be out before the first one gets a stable feature complete build. Where's the best place to ask the CM9 developer to include onscreen button feature?

Doopliss

I haven't seen completely stock ICS but there are ROMs with on screen buttons (both tablet and phone mode). I went with TheMidTeam simply because it was at the first thread I saw in the XDA forum and the screenshot showed the ICS menubar icons. There are so many ROMs though all in different states of development and it's all so confusing. It's a hassle going through the wiping and reinstalling process but most of the posters on XDA don't seem to mind.

Nice to hear. I've been checking on the device page and started to believe it was never getting CM9. At this rate the Galaxy Note 2 will be out before the first one gets a stable feature complete build. Where's the best place to ask the CM9 developer to include onscreen button feature?
You shouldn't request features when the devs are still just trying to get everything working. Well, you could PM them on XDA but I wouldn't expect a positive response.

You can already force the on-screen buttons to show by adding this line to your build.prop:
Code:
qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
I'm not sure if that will allow you to customise them, though.

Blackhead

Redarse
You shouldn't request features when the devs are still just trying to get everything working. Well, you could PM them on XDA but I wouldn't expect a positive response.
Alright. I didn't intend to ask that it be included in the next nightly—I'd wait until it was a part of the final feature set—but I can see how requests would be annoying.

You can already force the on-screen buttons to show by adding this line to your build.prop:
Code:
qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
I'm not sure if that will allow you to customise them, though.
I didn't properly explain what I was looking for:
Greyface said:
I'm not happy with what Samsung is doing with the hardware menu button in ICS. It removes the software 'actions overflow' button in the apps.
It's an either or situation officially since it's part of the action bar API, which exemplifies how stupid it is to have it on the hardware side for the SIII.

I believe custom roms can override it and have it function both ways simultenously.

I don't want on-screen buttons (they'd probably interfere with the palm rejection anyway :/). I want the app menu/settings/actionbar overflow button included in standard ICS holo themed apps like gmaps and so on.
6pOuq.png

How do I edit the build.prop file to tell it I want this button in the ICS apps? Perhaps even without removing the hardware menu button as an option so legacy apps don't force a row at the button for the software menu button?

tino

Banned

Yeah I have found xda's forums completely archaic. Going by my experience with my last 3 android devices. I would root, unlock bootloader and install cwm first before starting at the roms. They don't even bother to tell you how important cwm is.

As far as the best rom, I usually just find the most popular threads. I also use the qualify of the first post and how many other roms has the author made to guess the quality of the rom. It's a fucking jungle out there. As long as I have cwm, its very easy to test new roms.

Speaking of good Galaxy Note rom, do you have a international Note (n7000) or ATT one (i717)? Can you check if the "MIUI theme launcher" work for your rom? If you don't have any theme to try out you can try mine. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8x0r1vsykdoxdaw/9lUdLBJ97i

My opinion of CM9 is that while its superior to the google AOSP rom is not always the best. A stable MIUI rom usually has much better human ergonomic. I don't use those Sense inspired crap they use too much memory.

DXPett1

GN did these fine back in the original firmware. Along the lines Google have tinkered with the camera app and just made it worse.

First point is just down to the hardware, happy to accept the sensor in the GN is average (has very good and bad days)

Cheers for the clarifaction though

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

I use ICS Browser+

Chrome is reaaaaaaally laggy on the tf3. I'm not even sure why. The tf3 is supposed to be one of the most powerful tablets out now. If I open Chrome, it takes a good minute to respond.

Husker86

When is Google Wallet going to support more cards?

I'd almost be on Verizon's side with Isis if they are going to give me more options than one company's MasterCard.

kehs

Banned
How do I edit the build.prop file to tell it I want this button in the ICS apps? Perhaps even without removing the hardware menu button as an option so legacy apps don't force a row at the button for the software menu button?

It'd have to be a little more in depth than build.prop, unfortunately. Probably requires framework modifications since it's API related. ciwrl on the CM team has always been receptive to functional feature requests so try sending it his way.

----

Cyanogen really likes the GSIII, and played a small bug fixer role in the software, totally awesome for him!

Opinions below are not that of my employer!

I finally got my hands on the "mostly final" version of the Galaxy SIII today and can finally talk about it! I feel compelled to say that this thing is just great. It's sleek and thin, insanely fast, and just sexy to look at (if you find gadgets sexy that is). I'm not going to talk specs, you can look those up if you want. I'll just mention the pluses and minuses.

1. Industrial design. It's smooth and sleek. The screen is huge. It's thinner than anything else you can buy. It does not have the on-screen navigation like the Galaxy Nexus, instead it has a menu, back, and hard home key. I didn't like that at first, but it's great for taking pictures and holding the phone in landscape mode.

2. Smart Stay. Probably my favorite feature. When the phone is about to time out and turn off the display while you are reading, the camera will snap a picture (with zero shutter lag) and do a face-detect. If it finds a face, it stays awake. It works brilliantly.

3. Gyroscope. Samsung did some great stuff that detects certain gestures with the gyro. This has been on other devices but is even better on the GS3. When you are scrolling a list, you can double-tap the top of the phone to jump back to the top.

4. Camera. It's an 8MP (rear, 2MP front), zero-shutter-lag camera. It's what we wanted on the Galaxy Nexus but didn't quite get. The stock camera app is really great and has tons of hipster effects, HDR, touch focus/zoom, burst shot (hold button for consecutive snaps), and panorama.

5. HOLY CRAP, it's fast. Depending on where you get your device the chipset may be different, but the US model is no slouch. There's almost no jank in the display, it's super smooth. For you people who know how long it takes to "adb push" a full CM ROM over to /sdcard/, you'll be happy to know that it just takes a couple of seconds. The I/O bandwidth seems to be far and beyond any other device I've used.

6. Lock screen. The water-trail lockscreen is great, and very functional.

There are things I would do differently if I were in charge of the project of course (ohai CM9) , but I think we did a great job (OK, so maybe I only fixed a couple of bugs, I am just fanboying everyone else who was involved).

The bad- it's still carrier-branded in the US and comes with all the baggage that's involved. I like my technology to have a lot less fine print.

It's a solid piece of engineering and definitely pushes the state-of-the-art forward, considering that this will end up in the hands of a huge amount of people. I hope that the US market will be able to break away from the current subsidy model at some point (ohai Google) but if that's what you are out for, it's a great choice.

Check it out if you have the chance. I'll probably get distracted by some new shiny thing in a week, so take it for what it is :)
https://plus.google.com/100275307499530023476/posts/ACXhYPa3g4x

---

Android officially mainstream. Chili's giving away Android phones.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Way too slow on my Nexus S compared to the stock browser. I also hate no quick bar and removing the omni bar as well.

Speaking of Chrome, any idea when it'll be out of beta?

Very soon, probably at Google I/O.

Doopliss

Alright. I didn't intend to ask that it be included in the next nightly—I'd wait until it was a part of the final feature set—but I can see how requests would be annoying.

I didn't properly explain what I was looking for:

I don't want on-screen buttons (they'd probably interfere with the palm rejection anyway :/). I want the app menu/settings/actionbar overflow button included in standard ICS holo themed apps like gmaps and so on.
6pOuq.png

Funny you should mention that; I submitted a patch to CM9 for review about a week ago to allow the action overflow to be shown or hidden independent of the soft keys - http://review.cyanogenmod.com/15871. Though I didn't add an actual setting in UI to control it because I just want it as part of a larger Galaxy S II patch that allows the app switcher to be placed on the menu key (here).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Is there a way to transfer licenses to another device? I brought some games on my phone, that I would like to play on my fire, without having to be connected to the web in order to play them.

cDNA

Anybody knows if the AT&T - Elevate 4G Mobile Hotspot, is really good? I have Galaxy nexus with Verizon but I am travelling to PR and I need a good internet connection. Do you have any other suggestions that don't require a contract?

looks like there's no release date for the 32g and 64g SG3...only the 16g will be available first.

hopefully it doesn't turn out like the GSM nexus and Note where the higher gig model were canceled.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hey guys. I just inherited an old HTC Hero from my Mom, and was wondering what I should do with it, since I can't use it as an actual phone right now. Someone in the thread I made mentioned putting a custom ROM on it. Could anyone help me out with this? Like, what's the best one to use? How should I go about doing it, etc? As you can tell I'm pretty new to all this. :lol But any help would be greatly appreciated.

kehs

Banned
Is there a way to access Tasks from the gmail or calendar app? Right now I have a bookmark shortcut to the Tasks page via browser.

Nope, Google doesn't care about tasks, but there are a few apps that tie into it your account: Tasks, Gtasks, gTasks, Astrid.

jobber

Hey guys. I just inherited an old HTC Hero from my Mom, and was wondering what I should do with it, since I can't use it as an actual phone right now. Someone in the thread I made mentioned putting a custom ROM on it. Could anyone help me out with this? Like, what's the best one to use? How should I go about doing it, etc? As you can tell I'm pretty new to all this. :lol But any help would be greatly appreciated.

Instead of selling my older phones, I turned them into mini-tablets. I use one for a remote and the other for a wifi phone. Not sure if the Hero can run CM9 or any of the other ICS roms, but that's the best route to go. Look on XDA to see if anyone still makes roms for your phone. It should be a tutorial on how to do everything.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Instead of selling my older phones, I turned them into mini-tablets. I use one for a remote and the other for a wifi phone. Not sure if the Hero can run CM9 or any of the other ICS roms, but that's the best route to go. Look on XDA to see if anyone still makes roms for your phone. It should be a tutorial on how to do everything.

I have no idea what you just said. :lol All I know is that I tried following an older tutorial and got as far as trying to run Instant Root and getting an "activity not found" error. So now I'm stuck again.

jobber

I'm kind of glad I got the TF3 and Iconia. I've tried to install the Microbes LWP on the Iconia for the last hour via apk and recovery. It won't work at all..just a black screen. I installed the apk on the TF3 and it works flawlessly. The Iconia has the GN LWP that I use on my phone pre-installed..however they don't work on the TF3. what the hell......

I have no idea what you just said. :lol All I know is that I tried following an older tutorial and got as far as trying to run Instant Root and getting an "activity not found" error. So now I'm stuck again.

go to xda to find a rooting guide for your device

jobber

i dunno if i'd use anything other than the Asus Transformer Water LWP, tha thing just looks bawss.

I used that on my phone over a year ago. It's another version of that on the tf3 with a whale in the ocean. It sucks ass.

The weather/time widget sucks on both of them. Iconia doesn't open anything when you touch the clock or weather. TF3 just opens the weather refresh settings.

Now I'm going to have to install Beautiful Widgets on both.

I might just say fuck it and put the CM9 port on the Iconia just out of boredom.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright, managed to root this thing, and get CM7.2 installed. Runs a lot better now, but stuff like Angry Birds runs pretty choppy. I guess that's to be expected seeing as it's a pretty old phone. But hey, it's something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom