• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedge

So today I found out you can disable the 'WHAT WUD U LIKE TO DO?' message on a Galaxy S2.

Today was a good day.

I hate this thing with every fiber of my being... found this out recently too.

Especially when it happens when you only press the home button once.. FUCK Even if the phone is in vibrate the stupid voice would come on and sometimes it is loud if you left your media volume up. This has happened to me a few times at work.. I almost smashed it last time.

deim0s

Okay, I have a Galaxy W and just yesterday spazzed out and updated it via phone update which i think it's the 2.3.6 value pack/enhancements. I've already rooted the phone before but the update downloaded and installed fine so far.

How to verify that I still got root?

SuperUser/SetCPU app runs fine (i think) - no error messages as of last nite.

3phemeral

Okay, I have a Galaxy W and just yesterday spazzed out and updated it via phone update which i think it's the 2.3.6 value pack/enhancements. I've already rooted the phone before but the update downloaded and installed fine so far.

How to verify that I still got root?

SuperUser/SetCPU app runs fine (i think) - no error messages as of last nite.
Try running Titanium Backup.

jokkir

Anyone know an app that can control your desktop remotely? I'm going to download something on Steam and want to shut off my laptop when it's finished while I'm out.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is there any specific reason Google decided to move the event from late May to late June?

They did it so they could use the LA Convention Center, and apparently that's the only time it was available.

Edit- Oh I was wrong, it's the Moscone Center in San Fran. Huh.

Blackhead

Redarse
Yeah I have found xda's forums completely archaic. Going by my experience with my last 3 android devices. I would root, unlock bootloader and install cwm first before starting at the roms. They don't even bother to tell you how important cwm is.

As far as the best rom, I usually just find the most popular threads. I also use the qualify of the first post and how many other roms has the author made to guess the quality of the rom. It's a fucking jungle out there. As long as I have cwm, its very easy to test new roms.

Speaking of good Galaxy Note rom, do you have a international Note (n7000) or ATT one (i717)? Can you check if the "MIUI theme launcher" work for your rom? If you don't have any theme to try out you can try mine. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8x0r1vsykdoxdaw/9lUdLBJ97i

My opinion of CM9 is that while its superior to the google AOSP rom is not always the best. A stable MIUI rom usually has much better human ergonomic. I don't use those Sense inspired crap they use too much memory.
I have the international galaxy note currently running themidteam 1.2. I tried the MIUI launcher and your theme but it's laggy (all themes, not just yours) and not everything is working. I like your lock screen.
EJXoW.png

pMqgd.png
I'm glad to have it—I'll keep an eye out for updates—but I'll keep using my barebones launcher for now.

It'd have to be a little more in depth than build.prop, unfortunately. Probably requires framework modifications since it's API related. ciwrl on the CM team has always been receptive to functional feature requests so try sending it his way.[/URL]
Funny you should mention that; I submitted a patch to CM9 for review about a week ago to allow the action overflow to be shown or hidden independent of the soft keys - http://review.cyanogenmod.com/15871. Though I didn't add an actual setting in UI to control it because I just want it as part of a larger Galaxy S II patch that allows the app switcher to be placed on the menu key (here).
That's great! Doopliss, has there been any discussion or community feedback on this feature? I'd don't mind the hardware menu button... How long does it take to pass review and start showing up in ROMs?

Can someone check for me of Market Enabler is still on the Market? I can't seem to find it on my market for some reason :S
I checked, it's not there. I searched around xda and it seems to have been missing for a while...
It was 2 days ago
Could you post a link?

Android Apps Shouldn't Be Crappy Clones of iPhone Apps
Nick Bradbury said:
I'm sure a lot of Android users have had this experience: you see your iPhone friends using some slick new app, and you wish it was available on Android. Then an Android version comes out and...

...it sucks compared to the iPhone version.

I'm not going to name names here, because some of these apps might be considered competitors to Glassboard and not even I'm that snarky (at least, not in public). But you all know what I mean.

It's like the iPhone developers finished their version of the app, and then one of them was forced at gunpoint to create the Android version.

The end result looks like an iPhone app, but it's slower. Buggier. Uglier.

It doesn't take advantage of Android's hardware buttons, nor does it use Android features like sharing and background services.

It doesn't have to be this way. Really, it's possible to create iPhone and Android versions of your apps and have them be of equal quality. Twitter did it. I like to believe we did it. And yes, Facebook did it, too (but only because both versions kinda suck).

Look, the Android market is pretty huge, so why insult it with cheap knock-offs of iPhone apps? Treat it with some respect and it'll respect you back.
Hear Hear

Pctx

Banned
Yeah I have found xda's forums completely archaic. Going by my experience with my last 3 android devices. I would root, unlock bootloader and install cwm first before starting at the roms. They don't even bother to tell you how important cwm is.

As far as the best rom, I usually just find the most popular threads. I also use the qualify of the first post and how many other roms has the author made to guess the quality of the rom. It's a fucking jungle out there. As long as I have cwm, its very easy to test new roms.

Speaking of good Galaxy Note rom, do you have a international Note (n7000) or ATT one (i717)? Can you check if the "MIUI theme launcher" work for your rom? If you don't have any theme to try out you can try mine. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8x0r1vsykdoxdaw/9lUdLBJ97i

My opinion of CM9 is that while its superior to the google AOSP rom is not always the best. A stable MIUI rom usually has much better human ergonomic. I don't use those Sense inspired crap they use too much memory.

To be fair, XDA is for XDA. Developers. It's based on the Linux community that are used to RTFM at least twice and experimenting or at the very least comfortable with wiping things out and starting over.

The problem I have with Android is that while the market is so huge, I don't get why there isn't a commercial release of a product that does the following:

1.) Root the phone.
2.) Add SuperUser
3.) Backup all of your data to your computer.
4.) Download the various ROM's via GIT.
5.) Have a decent interface for choosing which ROM you want to load.

If I had the time, I think I would work hard towards building something like this with various levels of stability such as: "Beta, Stable, AYOR". This day and age (even with the Jailbreak crowd....) no one gives a shit how it works or what files you need or what type of voodoo you have to do, they just want access to the apps and have it be stable. I think we're seeing that finally materialize in the Android world and maybe we'll see something like that released.

I would think that starting with Samsung phones first would make sense and then work out towards the others. Hell, even if Samsung made something like this to bypass the carriers for updates (*cough-cough* Kies.... I'm looking at you...) that would be boss.

kehs

Banned
RE xda: I'm really sad that they didn't embrace all the people that starting becoming interested in their forums. Instead they shut themselves down and embarked on a "fu noobs" campaign.

They complained about their forums flooded with stupid questions but let new users post threads on a whim.

dream

I don't think the Android apps being crappy clones of iPhone apps will be a problem for long. We're only a month away from Android becoming the lead development platform, as per Dr. Schmidt's prediction.

Husker86

RE xda: I'm really sad that they didn't embrace all the people that starting becoming interested in their forums. Instead they shut themselves down and embarked on a "fu noobs" campaign.

They complained about their forums flooded with stupid questions but let new users post threads on a whim.

I've been on Rootzwiki for a long time now. Even though it wasn't directed at me, the xda snobs were far too annoying.

XDA has been like that since the WinMo days!

it's just an environment that expects people to read everything and have a good idea of what you're doing before posting... that's just how it is because that's how it's always been!

Threi

notag
XDA has its highs and lows in terms of the community and devs.

Some are the nicest, most tolerant people ever, while others are smug, arrogant, intolerant, egotistical, complete assholes.

Gotta take the good with the bad I guess. With my phone I don't have much of a choice anyways.

Husker86

XDA has been like that since the WinMo days!

it's just an environment that expects people to read everything and have a good idea of what you're doing before posting... that's just how it is because that's how it's always been!
The problem is that most of the assholes aren't the developers who have reason to be frustrated, they're just run of the mill pricks.

You only go to XDA to get the files you need. Never stay with the "community". Their concept of daily driver means that the screen needs to turn on. Reboots, crashes, lack of GPS/data/MMS and other essentials be damned!

You only go to XDA to get the files you need. Never stay with the "community". Their concept of daily driver means that the screen needs to turn on. Reboots, crashes, lack of GPS/data/MMS and other essentials be damned!

hahaha yeah, once it has 'screen turns on and displays things' and 'send and receive phone calls', people are hype on that daily driver status...

tino

Banned

Some are the nicest, most tolerant people ever, while others are smug, arrogant, intolerant, egotistical, complete assholes.

Gotta take the good with the bad I guess. With my phone I don't have much of a choice anyways.

No. I really don't care about the quality of the posters. I am talking about the forum interface is broken.

Even ROM really should have its own sub-forum. What you have here is basically a 20k-post thread for any decent rom. What the fuck!? Basically new users keep asking the same question every 3 pages. And its impossible to track a particular bug of that rom. Do you guys follow the thread? I don't, because its impossible. I just test the rom myself, which is very inefficient.

Second problem, I am getting my 5th (or 6th?) Android device mailing to me right now and I am reading xda to prepare myself for the custom roms. I have never been able to find a good "rom comparison" thread on any of the device specific forum. Isn't this like the most pressing thing you want to know as a new user?

By organization there really should be a sticky thread inside the "Android development" forum. But no, "if you don't create it, it doesn't belong" there. Thread gets promptly deleted. Great, the rom comparison discussion is completely shattered within hundreds of threads. You just have to... read most of the recent discussion for the next few days, until you get the gist of the rom development. Shake my head.

I understand xda want to turn away the noobs who don't understand the difference between root and custom rom, but its doing a bad job. Plus power users can't use it either.

tino

Banned
I am looking for a music player has all these options
* ignore earphone control buttons
* resume playback from last position
* and hopefully a sleep mode that turn itself off after a set time

kehs

Banned
I can't wait to hear Moto's explanations for not upgrading phones after they are officially absorbed by Google.

Virtual riots will ensue.

Note: This was brought on by their comments on not upgrading the Droid 3 because "it's not gonna make it better".

yogloo

Lol. And I was thinking about the exact same thing just now. Lots of pricks there. And the SIGS after each post. GOD. It's one of the reason gaf is so much better than every other forum out there.

No. I really don't care about the quality of the posters. I am talking about the forum interface is broken.

Even ROM really should have its own sub-forum. What you have here is basically a 20k-post thread for any decent rom. What the fuck!? Basically new users keep asking the same question every 3 pages. And its impossible to track a particular bug of that rom. Do you guys follow the thread? I don't, because its impossible. I just test the rom myself, which is very inefficient.

Second problem, I am getting my 5th (or 6th?) Android device mailing to me right now and I am reading xda to prepare myself for the custom roms. I have never been able to find a good "rom comparison" thread on any of the device specific forum. Isn't this like the most pressing thing you want to know as a new user?

By organization there really should be a sticky thread inside the "Android development" forum. But no, "if you don't create it, it doesn't belong" there. Thread gets promptly deleted. Great, the rom comparison discussion is completely shattered within hundreds of threads. You just have to... read most of the recent discussion for the next few days, until you get the gist of the rom development. Shake my head.

I understand xda want to turn away the noobs who don't understand the difference between root and custom rom, but its doing a bad job. Plus power users can't use it either.

True, very true. It's almost impossible to find infomation quickly at xda. I don't get their need to have General, Accesories, Q&A, Development, Themes and Apps sub-forums for each phone. The forum organization is truly broken.

Al-ibn Kermit

I can't wait to hear Moto's explanations for not upgrading phones after they are officially absorbed by Google.

Virtual riots will ensue.

Note: This was brought on by their comments on not upgrading the Droid 3 because "it's not gonna make it better".

Don't they still have to go through the carriers for non-nexus phones?

rc213

T-Mobile be trolling Galaxy SII users today with an update to Gingerbread while Sensation/Amaze get ICS.

Still happy I made the move though, Galaxy SII Touchwiz >>>>>>>>>>> Sensation Sense.

jayb

T-Mobile be trolling Galaxy SII users today with an update to Gingerbread while Sensation/Amaze get ICS.

yeah no kidding. Although it sounds like a necessary fix to prevent bricking phones during the ICS update when it's later released.

ep85

Wonder if Google will ever open an API for Music, so that other music players can hook into it, or even read the cached music info (Album cover, Thumbs up, Tags, etc) properly.

The RIAA probably would not enjoy this. I just hope Google cleans up their player a bit. The update when they launched google cloud music was good, just need little tweaks.

Broke my iPhone recently and took it ad a sign that it was time for a change. Picked up the HTC One X and am in love. Coming from 3.5" screen its so shocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom